************* Houston Rockets 22-23 Season thread *************

95,627 Views | 1176 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Max Power
Iowaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
E
AG

Guitarsoup
Aggie09Derek
AG
https://open.spotify.com/episode/2k6QUKOkuxCCeg7SGjY0Lt?si=mINgYziLSaS-VUIfbwYvFg&context=spotify%3Ashow%3A1nneAmn7y6Ejm1nhudVbrg
coastalAg
AG
Basically giving away Garuba, Christopher, and Washington is a puzzling move. All those guys were first round picks and never even got a shot to earn their keep. Egregious misuse of those assets!
Guitarsoup
AG

Mitchell threw him down
AG@RICE
AG
Weird mixed bag of transactions. We gave up on JC, KMJ, Ty Ty and Garuba for basically nothing in return and had to overpay a bunch of 2nd and 3rd tier vets.

This is pretty much the dark side of tanking. If you never end up with a truly elite player, you'll have to steadily repair your loser image while also shedding prospects before you know their true capabilities.

A ton of our future success depends on Ime being an elite coach.
Aggie09Derek
AG
coastalAg said:

Basically giving away Garuba, Christopher, and Washington is a puzzling move. All those guys were first round picks and never even got a shot to earn their keep. Egregious misuse of those assets!

First round picks don't amount to jack most of the time after the lottery.

The team had them under their control and knew weren't worth keeping. They weren't assets.
Aggie09Derek
AG
2nd and 3rd tier vets that have proven to be NBA legit players. No one we have up was even a plus role player.
1876er
AG
AG@RICE said:

Weird mixed bag of transactions. We gave up on JC, KMJ, Ty Ty and Garuba for basically nothing in return and had to overpay a bunch of 2nd and 3rd tier vets.

This is pretty much the dark side of tanking. If you never end up with a truly elite player, you'll have to steadily repair your loser image while also shedding prospects before you know their true capabilities.

A ton of our future success depends on Ime being an elite coach.

But at least we avoided a former MVP and perennial All Star.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

I think it is more of a product of the Rockets and Morey bowing to Harden and letting him dictate everything from the "superstar" additions (and substractions) to the team plane flight schedule.

Also, Morey just not valuing first round picks. I don't know how much that rubbed off on Stone, and how much the Rockets have invested in the drafting and scouting process, but there have been some bangers of picks (Sengun, maybe Eason and Garuba) but so many sub-optimal ones, too.

These trades that Harden dictates and Morey pulled the trigger on really hurt long-term and that's what the fruits we are seeing now.

Capela, Green, Nene AND a 1st for 22 games of RoCo. It wasn't a high first, but Desmond Bane, Quickley, Payton Prichard, and Jalen McDaniels were all right after that pick.

Chris Paul and 4 first round picks for Brodie.

Traded a 1st and a 2nd for Iman Shumpert. That 1st was a late pick, but Jordan Poole, Keldon Johnson, and Nic Claxton were picked in the next 5 picks. The 2nd became Nembhard. Shumbert played 20 games and couldn't hit the ocean out of a boat.

Traded a 1st, Bev, Trez, and Lou for Paul. There were some good players on the board there, but a great role player in Bev, good role player in Trez, and 6th man for Paul was a good trade, but ultimately, didn't work out.

Traded Corey Brewer and a 1st for Lou Williams.

The first and a bunch of spares for Ty Lawson

Three seconds for Corey Brewer.

Had to pay a first and a second to get the Lakers to take on Jeremy Lin's contract.

Traded a first for DMo.

Morey was fine mortgaging the future to make James happy and when everything went South, Morey took his fat ****ing face to Philly.
HotardRat
AG

**** BROOKE LOPEZ

The ATL trade makes so much more sense now.

**** Brooke Lopez forever.
Harry Dunne
We are going to regret the KJ Martin trade. Second round draft picks are trash. He's an NBA starter.
Woods Ag
AG
Yes, at least we did that.
coastalAg
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

coastalAg said:

First round picks don't amount to jack most of the time after the lottery.

The team had them under their control and knew weren't worth keeping. They weren't assets.

True, but the Rockets didn't even try to get to that point with these guys. They chose to use the draft picks instead of trading them, and then never gave a good faith effort to develop the players. And now they are giving the players away. Christopher and TyTy are whatever, but I bet Garuba turns into a pretty good defender and has a nice career.
Guitarsoup
AG
The Athletic Grade:

Dillon Brooks agrees to a four-year, $80 million deal with the Rockets
Good on Brooks for finding a way to get paid an obscene amount of money after being deemed excommunicado by the Grizzlies. The Rockets are hoping to find a level of competitiveness and defense they didn't have before. That can happen. But offensively, his mentality almost furthers the offensive problems the Rockets had a year ago. He's not the veteran presence they need, and it's an incredible overpay for someone who didn't have much of a market for that kind of money.
Grade: C+
Aggie09Derek
AG
Yeah - the fully guaranteed and not team option on backend is a bit maddening. Especially if split relatively evenly. Need to bring up level of defensive intensity which he brings and I get paying more to make sure get him vs going to playoff contender but seems like a year too long for guarantee.
Guitarsoup
AG
To me, the biggest thing will be if Ime can get him to stop being a chucker and take smart shots. He can create some, but he thinks WAY too highly of his ability.

He shot 35.6% on catch and shoot threes, which is a ton better than his 27% on pull up threes.

He hit 37% on wide open threes.

If Ime could get him to just sit his happy ass in the corner and wait for open threes to shoot, he might not be a giant black hole on offense. His finishing rate at the rim isn't good, his mid-range game is bad. Top of the arc was below 30%. Just painful shot chart overall.
Guitarsoup
AG
Head scratchers of the day
Jock Landale agrees to a four-year, $32 million deal with the Rockets
I like what we saw out of Landale during his postseason moments with the Suns, but this feels like an overpay. I'm not sure I'd commit three or four years at even that money to him. And this may just end up being another Daniel Theis move for the Rockets in which they flip him as soon as possible. I do like the fit of him in this rotation, and he's a decent veteran to put into the mix. The Rockets have made sure they'll hit that salary floor.
Grade: C+

Houston Rockets acquire Dillon Brooks (four-year, $80 million)
Memphis Grizzlies acquire Josh Christopher

I don't love the contract for Brooks, as I stated above, but losing just Christopher to the Grizzlies in a sign-and-trade to make room for him on the roster isn't a terrible loss. Christopher has a chance to be a nice rotation wing for a team like the Grizzlies, if they decide to keep him.
Grade: B- for Rockets, B for Grizzlies

Atlanta Hawks acquire TyTy Washington, Usman Garuba, two second-round picks
Houston Rockets acquire trade exception

At worst, the Hawks grabbed two more young guys to try to develop with Garuba looking like he could be an excellent defender. The Rockets needed to jettison some guys from the roster, and give up maybe far too early on recent first-round picks.
Grade: A- for Hawks, C for Rockets

Brooklyn Nets acquire minimum compensation
Houston Rockets acquire Patty Mills

Another salary dump for the Nets, as the Rockets bring another veteran into the mix. Mills wasn't needed on the Nets anymore so I like the fit in Houston as a leader in the locker room.
Grade: A- for Rockets, D for Nets

LA Clippers acquire KJ Martin
Houston Rockets acquire two second-round picks

The Clippers take advantage of the Rockets needing to dump a roster spot to fit all of their signings and acquisitions from the day.
Grade: A for Clippers, C+ for Rockets

Aggie09Derek
AG
Landale is 1 year guaranteed - major difference on that one
Guitarsoup
AG
Yeah, I agree. Still overpay, but not as bad. I don't think the contract details have been widely spread yet. I'm just copying and pasting since others may not read it.
GigEmMortis
AG
So catch me up: I'm seeing a lot of chatter on Twitter and Instagram roasting Jalen Green over some video(s) that either he posted or that surfaced of him. What is all the buzz, and is it something that I should care about?
HotardRat
AG
GigEmMortis said:

So catch me up: I'm seeing a lot of chatter on Twitter and Instagram roasting Jalen Green over some video(s) that either he posted or that surfaced of him. What is all the buzz, and is it something that I should care about?

Short answer: no.
Texaggie7nine
Stupid college stuff that may make you question his sexuality, but other than that, nothing illegal or bannable offence.
7nine
Aggie09Derek
AG
Dillon Brooks had 991 FGA in 2022-23. He shot 39.6%

There is only one player had a lower FG% on that many FGA.

……..

Fred VanVleet

39.3%
ElCheAg
AG
So what you're saying is it can't get any worse?
Guitarsoup
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Dillon Brooks had 991 FGA in 2022-23. He shot 39.6%

There is only one player had a lower FG% on that many FGA.

……..

Fred VanVleet

39.3%
I guess it is a good thing that Houston didn't guarantee them more than 200 million.
RebAg13
AG
They didn't
Aggie09Derek
AG
FVV's 3rd year is team option though

DB's is front loaded a little and apparently the $80m is including some incentives
Guitarsoup
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

FVV's 3rd year is team option though

DB's is front loaded a little and apparently the $80m is including some incentives
Knew about FVV's option.

NBA breaks down incentives two ways:
Unlikely incentives wouldn't be counted in the 80mm number. Only likely incentives.

So if you had a $500k incentive for being picked for All-Defense, that would be likely, since he was All-Defense last year.

If you had a $500k incentive for being MVP, that would be an unlikely incentive, since he has not been that before.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Got it

Will be interesting to see details. Not sure if all the incentives are public, do you know?
AG@RICE
AG
If a major "likely" incentive is for him to be voted all-defense, and he achieves that incentive, then I think that contact would be worth it.
Guitarsoup
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Got it

Will be interesting to see details. Not sure if all the incentives are public, do you know?

Contracts can't be signed until tomorrow so we'll probably start finding out details on both contracts then
Aggie09Derek
AG
Thanks

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.