************* Houston Rockets 22-23 Season thread *************

95,614 Views | 1176 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Max Power
Head Ninja In Charge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guitarsoup said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Wow, Spurs are coming on strong for that lotto pic. 12 straight losses. It's Duncan 2.0.
You mean Akeem 2.0.

Spurs won 7 games down the stretch in March/April to finish 6 games above last and 5 games above 2nd worst in 97. Rockets won just 1 of the last ten in 84 to land a top 2 spot. At the time, the worst team from each conference flipped a coin for #1 and #2 and the rest of the teams picked in order. Had the Rockets not tanked, they would have ended up with 5th. The coinflip would have been Philly (with the Clippers pick from a 1978 trade for World B Free) and Portland (with the Pacers pick from a 1981 trade for big white stiff Tom Owens. Pacers traded Owens away for a 2nd round pick a year later.)

Been on this board for a very long time and I know GS has this post locked and loaded in his internet glove compartment ready for anyone who wants it. I've seen this sooo many times.
Guitarsoup
AG
GigEmMortis said:

Death, taxes, and Soup defending the Spurs on the Rockets thread

In my defense, I didn't realize I was in the Rockets thread. I just hit the numbers in the watchlist to open tabs
Ags #1
AG
Lol!!!! They tanked and didnt have robinson return when he easily could have. Its ok to admit it
Guitarsoup
AG
Ags #1 said:

Lol!!!! They tanked and didnt have robinson return when he easily could have. Its ok to admit it
LOLLLL!!!! GTFO. A Rockets fan encouraging a 7-foot NBA player to rush back from back and foot surgery? How did that work for Yao in the Olympics? Oh yeah, he developed more stress fractures the next season and it ended his career. Brilliant idea. They definitely should have rushed a guy with major foot and back problems back to play in meaningless games in April.

We can all agree the Spurs and Rockets are both tanking right now, right? Spurs just traded their starting center for a guy averaging like 2&1 and a FRP and two 2RPs as well as a D&W wing for a guy that shoots like 35% from the field and four 2RPs. The Rockers just traded Eric Gordon for a FRP and two guys they plan to cut. Previous to this season, Rockets traded RoCo, Westbrook, Harden, Dipo, PJ Tucker, Eric Gordon, and Christian Wood for about a dozen first round picks and a dozen more 2RPs. Spurs did poor mans version of that with Poeltl, Murray, White, DeRozan, Thad Young, etc.

What did the Spurs do in 96-97? Signed Vernon Maxwell (16/4/4 for Philly the year before.) Signed HOFer Nique, who averaged 18/6 for the Spurs. They didn't trade anyone away. Previous season, they traded away a first to get 24yo Monty Williams and 29yo PF Charles Smith.

Did the Spurs trade away starters for assets? Nope. Did the Celtics? They traded away young center Eric Montross to pick up a second first round pick in the drafted (ended up being #6, Ron Mercer).

Spurs ended the season with the 3rd worse record. Down the stretch they won 7 games of their last 22. (31%) which was better than they did over the entire season (24%.) They won those 7 games and ended up 6 games out of 1st place for most lottery balls. To close out the season, Boston won just 4 of their last 37 games to clinch the most lottery balls. Vancouver won just 3 of their last 27 games (11%.)

Seems like winning 31% of your games while the other teams fighting for position are winning 11% is a really ****ty tanking strategy. Spurs went 5-10 in March while Vancouver went 1-13 and Boston went 2-14.

Seems like if they were tanking, they did a real ****ty job of it. In March+April, Del Negro averaged 35mpg. Monty averaged 30mpg. Nique averaged 28mpg while battling a strained hamstring.

So yeah, if they were tanking, they did a ****ty job winning all those games and playing their starters hard right up until the end, which prevented them from getting the best chance at the top pick.
AG@RICE
AG
This thread is full of passionate fans sticking with their team through a painful rebuild, so I'm sure we all appreciate your own fandom but that's definitely a tl;dr.
Guitarsoup
AG
Oh I knew when I wrote it that they weren't going to read it. Facts kind of ruin their baseless posts.

That said, Tanking sucks, but I'm kind of enjoying seeing the young guys get minutes and the Rockets are in a great position going forward, especially with Brooklyn imploding.

Green, Porter, Smith and you absolutely stole Sengun.

I think the Clips will drop because they somehow managed to still not get a primary ball handler. They are just 3 games from being 3rd worst in the West and their first being a lottery pick.

Rockets pick will be top 5, Clippers in lottery plus late Bucks pick. With a deep draft, that's a fantastic place to be with four core guys ready to go. This is about as good as you could hope to do in a full rebuild. Not sure why anytime would be all pissy.
shady
AG
Check the Rockets thread only to find a novel written about the Spurs by a Spurs fan.
Guitarsoup
AG
Only Texags Rockets fans could bring up a subject on a discussion board and then get mad when someone discusses the subject
tremble
AG
Shocking GS can't find something better to do with his time.
GigEmMortis
AG
The defensive approach from this team is ****ing terrible.
The Porkchop Express
Head Ninja In Charge said:

Guitarsoup said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Wow, Spurs are coming on strong for that lotto pic. 12 straight losses. It's Duncan 2.0.
You mean Akeem 2.0.

Spurs won 7 games down the stretch in March/April to finish 6 games above last and 5 games above 2nd worst in 97. Rockets won just 1 of the last ten in 84 to land a top 2 spot. At the time, the worst team from each conference flipped a coin for #1 and #2 and the rest of the teams picked in order. Had the Rockets not tanked, they would have ended up with 5th. The coinflip would have been Philly (with the Clippers pick from a 1978 trade for World B Free) and Portland (with the Pacers pick from a 1981 trade for big white stiff Tom Owens. Pacers traded Owens away for a 2nd round pick a year later.)

Been on this board for a very long time and I know GS has this post locked and loaded in his internet glove compartment ready for anyone who wants it. I've seen this sooo many times.
I will admit I wrote my original post to see which Spurs fan would get pissed about it and have to correct me. It's like telling Cowboy fans that Earl Campbell was better than Tony Dorsett, a switch turns inside and they go red rage.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Ags #1
AG
Windhorst:

"I think HOU is a dangerous fit for anybody bc that team is out of control. They've completely destroyed & broken down Silas, who's a good man but can't handle the renegade operation that's become. Pretty much everything the #Rockets do is a mess right now"
superaggie73
AG
Ags #1 said:

Windhorst:

"I think HOU is a dangerous fit for anybody bc that team is out of control. They've completely destroyed & broken down Silas, who's a good man but can't handle the renegade operation that's become. Pretty much everything the #Rockets do is a mess right now"

Wouldn't those problems be happening because of a weak coach? If not, where are the problems stemming from?

And what exactly are the details of these problems he speaks of? If it's just discipline, that's on the coach.
GigEmMortis
AG
superaggie73 said:

Ags #1 said:

Windhorst:

Wouldn't those problems be happening because of a weak coach? If not, where are the problems stemming from?

And what exactly are the details of these problems he speaks of? If it's just discipline, that's on the coach.

Exactly. A lot of our problems are because of Silas. In many ways He's the culprit, not the victim.
WES2006AG
AG
Haven't been watching but looks like we really locked down Lillard in the first half holding him to 41.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Not watching, but did they sit him after the half? I think with the way everyone has been scoring this season, 90 is a possibility. Would be the highlight of our season for it to happen to us.
The D
AG
Only 64 now
GigEmMortis
AG
But according to No Neck Windhorst, our lack of defensive effort or awareness is because we have a toxic culture that destroys super nice head coaches
shano0603
AG
GigEmMortis
AG
Also, when Daishen ****ing Nix takes the most FGA on the team, you have zero offensive identity
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Sengun drops 17 and 10 and gets benched most of the second half. Dame drops 71. Good job, Silas.
rangerdanger
AG
shano0603 said:

Just got Slamma Jamma'ed
rausr
AG
shano0603 said:

More embarrassment.
shady
AG
Can't blame it on Green this time.
mAgnoliAg
AG
shady said:

Can't blame it on Green this time.

Or porter
CFTXAG10
AG
I watched the first half because of a prop I had on KJ, and all I can say is Silas is done after this season.
CFTXAG10
AG
The prop did hit though
Marvin
AG
I don't follow the NBA much (spend most of my sports time watching the Astros and Aggies), but I saw the Rockets record and was surprised. I expected the team to be improved with Green and Smith.

What's up, and what do they need to do to fix it? Also, what should they be looking for in the draft?

TIA
shano0603
AG
Marvin said:

I don't follow the NBA much (spend most of my sports time watching the Astros and Aggies), but I saw the Rockets record and was surprised. I expected the team to be improved with Green and Smith.

What's up, and what do they need to do to fix it? Also, what should they be looking for in the draft?

TIA

New coach and culture.

Hoping to get the #1 pick to get victor wembanyama. But Scoot Henderson would be a good consolation prize.
CFTXAG10
AG

Quote:

New coach and culture.
This. 100%

Accountability for the young guys. Better defensive effort. Somebody who will actually help develop talent. A coach that puts together legit game plans and knows how to manage minutes/players. Basically someone who can actually coach at the NBA level.

Silas was the perfect choice for the tank, but the patience is starting to run thin.
coastalAg
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

I watched the first half because of a prop I had on KJ, and all I can say is Silas is done after this season.
He is just in so far over his head at this point. This is one of the most miserable teams I have ever watched.

If I were Fertita I would completely clean house. I dont trust Stone to actually build a winner. He is just collecting assets in a spreadsheet.

Dont let him waste the draft capital and spoil the young talent!
GigEmMortis
AG
I don't think I'm ready to jump ship on Stone. I think he has made some good moves and has gotten good value on his Harden and Gordon trades. And to this point, I don't think he has made any head scratching draft picks yet. He's done a good job on stockpiling good, young talent.

He does need to get some new blood in the coaching ranks to instill a new culture and attitude. This team has talent, we just don't have any direction. These players won't mature and improve under Silas, I think that is obvious. Stone and Fertita just need to be willing to pull the trigger and bring someone in who will bring instant credibility to the locker room
1876er
AG
GigEmMortis said:

I don't think I'm ready to jump ship on Stone. I think he has made some good moves and has gotten good value on his Harden and Gordon trades. And to this point, I don't think he has made any head scratching draft picks yet. He's done a good job on stockpiling good, young talent.

He does need to get some new blood in the coaching ranks to instill a new culture and attitude. This team has talent, we just don't have any direction. These players won't mature and improve under Silas, I think that is obvious. Stone and Fertita just need to be willing to pull the trigger and bring someone in who will bring instant credibility to the locker room

When you're the worst team in the league, nobody is safe. Everybody is on the chopping block and nobody is untradeable
GigEmMortis
AG
1876er said:

GigEmMortis said:

When you're the worst team in the league, nobody is safe. Everybody is on the chopping block and nobody is untradeable

Not disputing that, but we are doing the same thing that Jeff Luhnow did with the Astros, and look how that played out in the long term.

Unless Stone makes numerous head scratching roster moves, you commit to the rebuild and see it through. But if the coach doesn't coach the players properly, they need to go. Just look at Brad Mills and Bo Porter w/ the Astros before they found consistency with Hinch
GigEmMortis
AG
Defense continues to be LOL bad.

But good news is the Spurs won tonight, so we increased our gap for worst record in the league

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.