************* Houston Rockets 22-23 Season thread *************

95,628 Views | 1176 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Max Power
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10076396-nba-sources-james-harden-to-become-free-agent-intel-on-cp3-ty-lue-and-more

From Chris Haynes, so legit national guy, not local kid in his parents' basement.

Quote:

The Houston Rockets have long been a rumored destination, but sources say Harden will only entertain suitors that present a competitive roster and the basketball freedom for the star to be himself, sources say.

Aggie09Derek
AG
Good.
Woods Ag
AG
There will always be one that will take a chance. Like LeBron/Lakers and Westbrook, but whoever does should be tar and feathered when it goes bad. Bc it will definitely go bad.
Ryan34
AG
Woods Ag said:

There will always be one that will take a chance. Like LeBron/Lakers and Westbrook, but whoever does should be tar and feathered when it goes bad. Bc it will definitely go bad.

The "basketball freedom for the star to be himself" part would make me nervous as to what that actually means, but assuming that doesn't mean off the court stuff as well, then a contender rolling the dice makes sense. Harden on a contender is a very different proposition than Harden as a mentor to a young team looking to get out of the cellar.
Guitarsoup
AG
Jalen Green was on Paul George's podcast. George didn't seem to like Harden to Houston for Green's Developement.

Quote:

"At this point, I wouldn't [want Harden to return]," George said. "Like I feel like at this point, you're the king of Houston. No bulls---. They made their decision on who the future is."

"You got to go through this," he added. "Being double-teamed, being tripe-teamed, being the target every time, you got to go through that. You bring on someone like James who is such a ball-dominant player, that's going to hinder your growth a little bit."

CFTXAG10
AG
Another one and this time it is Iko. He's pretty plugged in.

YNWA_AG
AG
Harden is coming back. Whoever is in denial just needs to accept it
Aggie09Derek
AG
Raises hand…

Just don't see the fit
Guitarsoup
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Raises hand…

Just don't see the fit

Especially at 4y/200mm. That's gonna be a millstone
Aggie09Derek
AG
And who knows what other commands he will be making

Players/coaches are all subject to him demanding they are out year to year
CFTXAG10
AG
Theres no way they can do that without other pieces being in place. Harden alone doesn't move the needle. Stone better be damn sure there is a method to the madness IF it happens. AND Udoka better be on board
Woods Ag
AG
If it happens you forget about the Rockets for 4 years and enjoy the rest of the NBA. There are quite a few very interesting teams worth following over the next few years. Don't waste your time with a team that doesn't care about winning.

Magic
OKC
Denver
San Antonio
Heat just because I love them
Even PHX and GS to see how they rebound coming off of this year.
3 Toed Pete
AG
This seems like an owner-driven move. The Rockets have been in rebuilding mode since Tilman bought them and you know he's dying to get season ticket sales back up to where they were. Bad move.
Woods Ag
AG
I agree and it'll tank what they've been trying to build in one move.
CFTXAG10
AG
Woods Ag said:

I agree and it'll tank what they've been trying to build in one move
Silas already did that
Woods Ag
AG
Does Ferttita not remember Harden coming in 30+ lbs overweight and tanking games until he was traded? How can Harden do that and it not equate to a "Do Not Do Business" tag on this guy for the Rockets?
Aggie09Derek
AG
Harden isn't going to move needle much in terms of season tickets.

Fans at Toyota became pretty tired of him even before his last year.

Now that Harden isn't slashing like he used to it would get ugly quick here.
HotardRat
AG

Love it. Bring Pat home.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Harden isn't going to move needle much in terms of season tickets.

Fans at Toyota became pretty tired of him even before his last year.

Now that Harden isn't slashing like he used to it would get ugly quick here.
It's been ugly for the past three years. Product on the floor has been rock bottom since Harden left. Not saying he's going to restore anything in terms of attendance since he's already one foot out of his prime, but the last time we made the playoffs was with him, with the pre-bubble playoffs being the last time Toyota was really alive.

Now, TC isn't exactly lighting the beam or anything. Our fanbase has always been historically quiet or late to the games. Doesn't help that all the corporate/family seats are the ones that get all the TV face time. Throw in the slow death of the Rowdies, the declining service stations, some truly outdated lighting and seating...

I'm good with Harden being back for for basketball reasons. Again, better than whatever TF that was the last three years. The rest is up to Tilman.
Guitarsoup
AG
HotardRat said:

Love it. Bring Pat home.
Yes. Use the $60mm in cap space on Harden and Beverly.

HotardRat
AG
Got any better plans floating around there amongst all that moaning?
Woods Ag
HotardRat
AG
To those complaining about this Harden situation, please answer me this: what is a better idea? We can sit here and complain about all the ideas we hear, but the bottom line is that there aren't very many options, and there's no incentive to continue tanking, both from talent development and lottery odds standpoints.
HotardRat
AG
Well, here are definitely some good additional pieces.

Woods Ag
AG
If you want to have an exciting year next year…

Jalen Green and the 4th pick for OG Anunoby and Scottie Barnes. Sign Harden and pray Udoka keeps him on track as a distributor.

Maybe we have to throw in a little more.. idk
Woods Ag
AG
I'd take Austin Reaves over Harden all day..
Guitarsoup
AG
Woods Ag said:

Jalen Green and the 4th pick for OG Anunoby and Scottie Barnes. Sign Harden and pray Udoka keeps him on track as a distributor.

Toronto hangs up on that.
Ags #1
AG
Hard pass on brooks. Guy talks so much trash and isnt even that good. Never backs it up.
Guitarsoup
AG
HotardRat said:

Got any better plans floating around there amongst all that moaning?
I'm not moaning. I'd help plan a parade full of Houston's most talented VIP Room Adult Ballerinas if the Rockets gave Harden a 4y200mm contract.
CFTXAG10
AG
I'm torn. On one hand it makes the last several years feel like an absolute waste. On the other hand if it's done the right way it at least makes the product on the court exciting again by bringing in Harden and other FA's or trades.

Hiring a new coach was inevitable but can Fertitta/Stone sit back and let Udoka try to develop Green and Jabari and the youngsters for another couple years to see what happens? Risky proposition for a team that many have lost interest in. Jimmy Buckets and the Heat are proving you just need to get in. NBA is the most "open" it's been in a while
Guitarsoup
AG
Getting in is one part. Having a Jimmy Buckets is the other part.
CFTXAG10
AG
I just meant 8 seed play in with not much of a big name supporting cast. What Jimmy is doing is crazy. Boston doesn't have an answer for him
Aggie09Derek
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Woods Ag said:

Toronto hangs up on that.

This.

Would have to take back some bad contracts + offer another first in the not too distant future for them to listen.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Woods Ag said:

Ionno man. Austin Reaves has a "Linsanity" vibe around him. IE, they've found their spot and any team looking to dump a ton of money on them for basketball and/or marketing reasons are pulling them out of their best case career scenarios.
Guitarsoup
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

Woods Ag said:

Ionno man. Austin Reaves has a "Linsanity" vibe around him. IE, they've found their spot and any team looking to dump a ton of money on them for basketball and/or marketing reasons are pulling them out of their best case career scenarios.
I could see Utah getting the most of Reaves.

This is Reaves before he went Todd from Wedding Crashers with his hair. A lot of people don't know that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.