Whats the worst course you've played in Texas?

20,629 Views | 149 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by datrixstunna
stick93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Booradley,

I knew where you were talking about halfway thru your first post. I know the course very well. I've been a member in the past. This was after I played it many times as a guest and wished it would wash down the river on many occasions. But it has grown on me.

It is what it is. Down in a hole with no room for expansion(unless the new developer frees up some land above the river). It is quirky. As in 5,600 yards from the tips quirky. But it is also inexpensive and the conditions are improving. And it is a great gambling course with risk/reward everywhere.

I've played a lot of the courses in this thread. Georgetown CC is a 85 year old bad layout that has a hard time holding up to modern equipment. But I wouldn't begin to put it in the same category as Brock Park and others mentioned here.

Fountain
quote:
quote:
Anxious to see where Booradley played. I have a feeling I know the course.

its Georgetown Country Club....

great piece of land. would have made a great 9 hole course...

but they crammed 18 holes in...

anyone play it?
Is it really that bad? I have a buddy that is thinking about joining, hopefully he plays it first.

Hey Booradley, I'm loving that R1 driver you sold me...how's that backyard Pelz course doing? Kicking myself for not taking you up on the invite to play your course...work tends to get in the way too much.
LeFraud
Blanket, Stephenville and Granbury all have a goat track 9 hole course.

And I've always hated Bryan muni, the layout is just beyond ridiculous.
98Ag99Grad
AG
quote:
Hondo Muni. But it's where I worked thru high school and got into the game so I love it. But it is truly the worst.

My dad's from Hondo. Haven't played there in years. Isn't there a green that's severly sloped from front to back? Go Owls!
OlsenBum
Made our own course in a field in west Texas. Vegetable cans used to make holes on our sand greens. Rattlesnakes were hazards. Horrible course, lol
Whoop04
Lots of you rich folk have obviously never played a truly bad course. I have played some overseas military base courses that would make your skin crawl.
Ag_07
AG
Bluebonnet in Navasota used to be horrendous when I was in school
lazuras_dc
AG
You guys have clearly not seen the "executive" 9 hole course at Gabe Lozano in Corpus Christi.

You get to putt over ant hills
Matsui
AG
tommeehawk7 - I'm from Caldwell county and I played Luling Golf Course about 100 times growing up. It wasn't that bad!!!!
Dinero Fuera Rey
AG
Henrietta Country club- the gem of north Texas.
Goose
AG
quote:
You guys have clearly not seen the "executive" 9 hole course at Gabe Lozano in Corpus Christi.

Freeport Muni was like that on occasion. It's also the only course I've ever played that clearly stated up front that they didn't issue rain-checks due to mosquitos. :-)
Aggie1391
quote:
quote:

Freeport Muni was like that on occasion. It's also the only course I've ever played that clearly stated up front that they didn't issue rain-checks due to mosquitos. :-)

I work in Freeport now, the mosquitoes as freaking awful. But then again, so is this entire place.
boy09
AG
Cuero Municipal Golf Course

Check this out on Google Earth. This is my hometown Muni, the course I grew up playing on and still play probably 50+ times per year. I love this course......but man, are those fairways terrible. Zoom in and you'll see that they're completely unable to grow grass on huge chunks of the course. It's nothing but hardpan.

I won't say it's the worst course in the state, the greens are decent compared to other small munis in the area, and I love the layout, but those fairways are brutal...
boy09
AG
quote:
Pharaohs in Corpus Christi
Didn't Pharaohs close like 5 years ago?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Cuero looks fun. I like ****ty golf actually as a change of pace.
boy09
AG
quote:
Cuero looks fun. I like ****ty golf actually as a change of pace.
First rule of Cuero Muni: Everything breaks toward the train tracks.
Gigem6589
Columbia lakes in 2010
booradley
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Anxious to see where Booradley played. I have a feeling I know the course.

its Georgetown Country Club....

great piece of land. would have made a great 9 hole course...

but they crammed 18 holes in...

anyone play it?
Is it really that bad? I have a buddy that is thinking about joining, hopefully he plays it first.

Hey Booradley, I'm loving that R1 driver you sold me...how's that backyard Pelz course doing? Kicking myself for not taking you up on the invite to play your course...work tends to get in the way too much.

glad youre enjoying that driver. I couldn't hit it, so glad you can. i'm playing the SLDR now...

the golf green is great. just fighting algae in the pond. haven't found a way to kill it yet.

come on by anytime...
booradley
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I work in Freeport now, the mosquitoes as freaking awful. But then again, so is this entire place.
Freeport is where I grew up... back then, the only golf course was a 9 hole course in town. I didn't play golf, but we took thousands of golf balls out of a pond in front of the first tee at night... luckily we never got caught...
tommeehawk7
Matsui , hey I love the course. Broke 90 when I was 12shooting 82 there in 1969 But it isn't a designer's gem
tpk8775
AG
Used to be an old 9 hole course in west houston called Texas Par on hwy 6 at alief clodine. Pretty sure it was bought out and used for the west park tollway and drainage. It was terrible.

A close second was houston hills. Sharpstown before it's remodel in the early 2000s was bad but a jr could walk it for a $4 greens fee.
Ag_07
AG
Whispering Pines - How that place got a Top 100 rating is beyond me.
investorAg83
AG
quote:
Los Rios

This was the first course that came to mind. You couldn't pay me to play there.

I know there are cow pastures out in BFE that are awful, but considering where this course is and what it should be, it's god awful.
terradactylexpress
Country place in pearland

WHOOP!'91
AG
quote:
Country place in pearland
+1

Played there because they had a $20 golf and lunch deal and the best part was the hot dog for lunch. They were re-doing the front 9, so we played the back 9 twice. The cart paths are all broken and the fairways are so rough you can't drive your cart on it,

I won't be back, even for free.
Lukeno
AG
quote:
Bluebonnet in Navasota used to be horrendous when I was in school

The track was pretty rough, but I used to love going out there while in school!

Or course...that may have been due to the folks I was with...or the beer I guess
Ag_07
AG
The track itself was nice and had a ton of potential. Nice area, good hole layouts, nothing too challenging or too easy.

The condition of that place was just a mess. After a few times of giving it a try and hoping for improvement we gave up.

Actually, sounds a lot like Red Wolf Run as well.
Pahdz
I love it when a thread like this shows up and Heron Lakes gets mentioned once, like we all know it's THE worst, so we just name off others.

I saw someone mentioned Green Meadows in Katy, which one? The original was always terrible, but when they opened that cow pasture of a course on the west side, it made the east course seem so much better. I actually think they put more time and effort into it after they expanded. They should have never expanded and just spent the money on the original, which I still enjoyed for a fun round.
inozips
AG
-Outlaw Gap outside of Huntsville - dallis grass greens
-New Gulf south of Wharton - San Augustine fairways
-Ramey in Kingsville always rock hard

Bluebonnet Navasota was never in good shape but not the worst, in '84 you could walk it with your A&M ID for $3.00.
Bryan Muni never understood the love here for this course, it did not drain, poor layout. American Golf used to suck every nickel out of the place. Now that Travis Bryan is dead the City fathers are trying to figure out what to do with it. Anyone heard the outcome?
Riverside in Victoria was losing several greens this past spring, pay the extra $10 & go to Colony Creek
Chaparral in Seguin has new owners & on the decline. Only watering tee boxes & greens.

With all the oilfield money around Cuero now you'd think they could start taking care of it, Hallettsville was ok recently. Ganado used to be a dump.
att hello
I don't remember the name of either course, but they were both really bad. I went with a friend to the VA in Temple and we played some really bad 9 hole course. I believe the other was some links course out in La Vernia.
TSUAggie
quote:
Probably Z Boaz(RIP) the week before they turned it into an abandoned park.

The lower course at Tenison Park(Glen I think) a couple of months ago. That course needs some dollars badly.

I haven't played Rockwood in years but it too needs some dollars. The beauty of Rockwood is it is the exact same layout from 1936, something you don't often find today. I hear they are thinking about finally putting some money into it.

Whitestone during the drought was terrible but I hear it is better today.

Ive been lucky the last couple of years. I haven't played too many goat ranches.

Rockwood hit rock bottom over the spring. Had to replant/grow in some greens without spending a whole lot of money because it will be blown up and re-done next year. The super there was replaced late winter/early spring and it has been getting better, but not much can be done to that dump. It's way over due for an overhaul.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Anyone ever play the nine hole course in Yoakum? Not the greatest place in the world but I liked how quiet and secluded it was. The times I played out there with my uncle we were the only 2 guys around.
Pahdz
quote:
I don't remember the name of either course, but they were both really bad. I went with a friend to the VA in Temple and we played some really bad 9 hole course. I believe the other was some links course out in La Vernia.
The course in La Vernia was Las Palomas (at least that's what it was back in 1999 when I was at Texas Lutheran). We used to drive from Seguin to play it. I was new to the game then, but always found it enjoyable (of coruse Starcke Park had just been underwater from the flood of 1998 and recovering, same with Chapparal if I recall correctly)
CCMD
AG
Denison Country Club in North Texas. A few years ago, the few members that were left had to take turns mowing the fairways and rough with their own personal riding lawnmowers brought from home.
boy09
AG
quote:
Anyone ever play the nine hole course in Yoakum? Not the greatest place in the world but I liked how quiet and secluded it was. The times I played out there with my uncle we were the only 2 guys around.
Yep. It's a cow pasture with some greens. Don't really know what else to say about it... Rather play Cuero or Hallettsville. Or really get fancy and drive to the big city of Victoria.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.