Whats the worst course you've played in Texas?

20,499 Views | 149 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by datrixstunna
booradley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Recently...

i'll wait for your opinion to tell you mine... but I think it was yesterday and today...

and a private club as well...
EastTexAg14
AG
Rockwood in Fort Worth
MarkPro
Heron Lakes of the top of my head. But I think there's more.
jj9000
AG
Los Rios
AgDotCom
Utopia.

But that's part of the deal.
bdgol07
AG
Brazos bend outside of Manvel. It's closed now. There were cracks in the "fairway" large enough to lose you ball in. Every bounce was unpredictable and you never knew where it would end up.
bdgol07
AG
Nm.... It wasn't recent
Fountain
Blackhawk
Ag_07
AG
Pharaohs in Corpus Christi
Red Wolf Run in Huffman
agsalaska
AG
Probably Z Boaz(RIP) the week before they turned it into an abandoned park.

The lower course at Tenison Park(Glen I think) a couple of months ago. That course needs some dollars badly.

I haven't played Rockwood in years but it too needs some dollars. The beauty of Rockwood is it is the exact same layout from 1936, something you don't often find today. I hear they are thinking about finally putting some money into it.

Whitestone during the drought was terrible but I hear it is better today.

Ive been lucky the last couple of years. I haven't played too many goat ranches.
voorheesdn
AG
Riverside in Austin...horrendous
stick93
AG
Anxious to see where Booradley played. I have a feeling I know the course.
Ezra Brooks
AG
quote:
Brazos bend outside of Manvel. It's closed now. There were cracks in the "fairway" large enough to lose you ball in. Every bounce was unpredictable and you never knew where it would end up.
Brazoria Bend - learned to play there and you've described it perfectly.

As a broke high school/college kid learning to play the game in Alvin/Manvel I had three courses in rotation, two of which might make any "worst course" lists.

Brazoria Bend - a near perfect example of "cow pasture golf"
Hilcrest - Only redeeming quality is that it was one of the first courses in the Houston area that was lighted and therefore playable at night.
Alvin Country Club - not "nice" but so much better that the two above that it was like a TPC

BB & Hilcrest were both <$15 so I played them A LOT. ACC was $22, so it was a bit out of my price range except on special occasion.
bdgol07
AG
^ yep
98Ag99Grad
AG
Not recent but hands down worst for me was Pasadena Muni aka Ellington GC. Uneven tee boxes, weeds growing on the greens, terrible fairways, you name it they had it.
Kjodie
Belle Oaks Golf club outside of Port Arthur. horrible.
birdman
Grapevine City Course was the worst run course that I ever played. The course itself was pretty good, but everything else was horrendous.

This was 15-20 years ago when that area exploded with growth. I'm sure they have different staff and things run smoother now. But it was awful. Every clich you can think of applied here.
AccountantAg
AG
Green meadows
Bear Creek - Challenger
tommeehawk7
aggdave , did you know that Riverside in Austin is the former "Austin Country Club" where Ben Crenshaw and Tom kite honed their games under the great teacher Harvey Penick?

My worst course , Luling Municipal. But I still love it because I played there a lot as a kid.
datrixstunna
AG
quote:
Los Rios

Played there quite a few times. Its not the best but it is far from the worst.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I played Gus Wortham a few weeks ago for the first time in over a year. I've always had a soft spot for the Gus, but it was in particularly bad shape.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
Los Rios

Course that smells like crap doesn't it?
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
Riverside in Austin...horrendous

Calling BS. It's not that bad relative to other low end Austin courses.
jj9000
AG
quote:
quote:
Los Rios

Played there quite a few times. Its not the best but it is far from the worst.

You have a higher tolerance for the smell of human waste than I do.

The Front 9 smells like a pay toilet.

It's just not right to be on a tee box and have to battle against someone else's deuce blowing your way.
texican08
AG
Glenbrook in Houston
98Ag99Grad
AG
I always thought Brock was worse than Glenbrook myself,
tommeehawk7
Hancock in Austin is a real gem.
jonj101
Ive played Glenbrook, Brock, And Gus Wortham, and I cant help but think how amazing those tracks would be if some dollars got sunk into them. Love the layouts, but conditioning was very poor whenever I went.

However the worst condition wise was a while back at Country Place in Pearland. Weeds everywhere, dirt patches for greens, overgrowth all over.

When I heard that Sterling was redoing it, I was excited - its close to me, and its a very tight course in some areas. If you can control your shots in there, you doing pretty good.
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
Ive played Glenbrook, Brock, And Gus Wortham, and I cant help but think how amazing those tracks would be if some dollars got sunk into them. Love the layouts, but conditioning was very poor whenever I went.

However the worst condition wise was a while back at Country Place in Pearland. Weeds everywhere, dirt patches for greens, overgrowth all over.

When I heard that Sterling was redoing it, I was excited - its close to me, and its a very tight course in some areas. If you can control your shots in there, you doing pretty good.

I love the layout of the Gus. There's some great holes on there. I'm really hoping the Houston GA gets the funds to save the Gus and turn it into something more respectable. I've looked for information about their plans and asked the guy in the pro shop if he'd heard anything, but I haven't seen much.
redsquirrelAG
AG
Hondo Muni. But it's where I worked thru high school and got into the game so I love it. But it is truly the worst.
Ag83
AG
quote:
I always thought Brock was worse than Glenbrook myself,
No doubt but I always liked Brock's layout. Shame it can't be kept in better condition. Haven't played either in many years though.
booradley
AG
quote:
Anxious to see where Booradley played. I have a feeling I know the course.

its Georgetown Country Club....

great piece of land. would have made a great 9 hole course...

but they crammed 18 holes in...

anyone play it?
turfaggie24
AG
Battle Lake Golf Course outside of Waco. The Birdie Girls aren't bad though.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
San Jacinto College course in Stinkadena.
Goose
AG
San Jac has to be the flattest golf course in history.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.