Whats the worst course you've played in Texas?

20,662 Views | 149 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by datrixstunna
Kjodie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes, my dad use to work for Texaco in the 70's and would drag me along. Didn't they change the name?
Prior22
AG
Z Boaz. ****ty name and an even ****tier course.
flogmat
AG
quote:
Longview Country Club between Longview and Kilgore...barren fairways combined with oil field equipment.
Hahah. I was just thinking this. Too bad my high school days spent about 2 days a week out here. Rough.
Icecream_Ag
S
i want to say the course in Robert Lee was pretty bad, but its been 20 years since I've played there, so not sure anymore.

Santa Fe in San Angelo is one thats cool in theory (downtown along the river) but not executed very well.

the previously mentioned Texas National and that crappy little 9 hole course outside of Huntsville are high on my list of bad courses as well
75AG
AG
quote:
Anyone here ever heard of Texaco Country Club?
Scariest shot ever. 12 YO boy trying to get across the ravine on number 1 with everyone watching you from the porch of the clubhouse.
bigfoot10s
AG
quote:
Battle Lake Golf Course outside of Waco. The Birdie Girls aren't bad though.

Battle lake is bad. Really bad.

The birdie girls (in the past four years) weren't good. Unless you liked chubby girls wearing sports bras and white trash chicks.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Damn this thread had a lot of steam. Surprising
turfaggie24
AG
Big foot I had some of their trading cards (decent 7's and 8's), the theory was if you collected them all you got a free 12 pack of beer. Think the last time I played there was 2011 though.
SW AG80
AG
Rankin CC in Rankin, TX

You can still use wooden tees in the fairways. Next is McCamey CC in McCamey, both in Upton County. Can still use wooden tees in fairways there, too.

You big city boys are spoiled.

A friend of mine, who also grew up playing those courses, and I were at The Masters a couple of years ago. We were marveling at Augusta National, contrasting it with the courses we grew up playing.

98Ag99Grad
AG
quote:
quote:

The birdie girls (in the past four years) weren't good. Unless you liked chubby girls wearing sports bras and white trash chicks.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
quote:

nothing wrong with providing some slump busters
Corporal Punishment
AG
Solid thread...

Who's played that course on US 82 between Gainesville and Lindsay? I couldn't remember the name and looked it up on Google Maps. No name listed but it's a real dump. (MAP)

The architects managed to build a course that really blended well with its natural surroundings...bleak, barren, windy, brown.

It's no Heron Lakes, but it really sucks.
turfaggie24
AG
^ Gainesville Municipal. Doesn't qualify for this thread, you can actually tell where the fairways are vs. rough.
AgsMyDude
AG
quote:
Heron Lakes of the top of my head. But I think there's more.
Played this one.

This one is also terrible: Alamo Golf Club. Don't think they eve water the fairways....

Smokedraw01
quote:
quote:

The Birdie Girls are no longer.
Cromagnum
AG
Columbia Lakes was a ****hole when i went a few weeks ago. The fairways werent too bad, but you could forget about putting. The turf was eaten up in spots down to dirt so you had zero control of your putts
aggolfer
AG
Electra Country Club is another....Only time I have ever been hit in the face with a golf ball.
75AG
AG
Come on...no mention of Red Oak Golf Club between Waxahachie and Dallas?
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Shady Creek - Blanket, TX
Pleasanton Country Club

Anyone mention of the old par 3 course in B/CS?
WestTexAG
AG
quote:
Rankin CC in Rankin, TX

You can still use wooden tees in the fairways. Next is McCamey CC in McCamey, both in Upton County. Can still use wooden tees in fairways there, too.

You big city boys are spoiled.

A friend of mine, who also grew up playing those courses, and I were at The Masters a couple of years ago. We were marveling at Augusta National, contrasting it with the courses we grew up playing.

SW, you beat me to it. As I was reading through the thread, I knew I had the winner. Rankin is worse than McCamey by quite a bit in my opinion, but that's not saying anything. You're also right abut these big city guys being spoiled, they'd flip out trying to hit out of the caliche powder rough.
G-Town Cracker
AG
Recently would have to be whatever that course in Hallettsville is called. But when you're out in the country hunting and feel like playing a round, I guess you can't be too picky.
Corporal Punishment
AG
quote:
Electra Country Club is another....Only time I have ever been hit in the face with a golf ball.

Electra!!! Yeah I'm guessing that course doesn't look a lot like Pebble Beach.
Cooter00
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
You guys have clearly not seen the "executive" 9 hole course at Gabe Lozano in Corpus Christi.

You get to putt over ant hills

Freeport Muni was like that on occasion. It's also the only course I've ever played that clearly stated up front that they didn't issue rain-checks due to mosquitos. :-)

I work in Freeport now, the mosquitoes as freaking awful. But then again, so is this entire place.
Freeport is where I grew up... back then, the only golf course was a 9 hole course in town. I didn't play golf, but we took thousands of golf balls out of a pond in front of the first tee at night... luckily we never got caught...
Born and raised Freeport. How old are you booradley?

Freeport really had some bad conditions (enormous cracks in the ground) but it was just about all I knew growing up so it seemed ok

Inks Lake 9 hole honorable mention
Country Oaks outside of Athens, TX has to be my worst. The fairways are mostly soft sand w/ patches of grass on top, greens permanently aerated, hog traps scattered about.
booradley
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Born and raised Freeport. How old are you booradley?

I'll be 55 next week. graduated Brazosport in '78 and A&M in '82...
Cooter00
A generation apart. You were graduating Bport when I was being born
booradley
AG
quote:
A generation apart. You were graduating Bport when I was being born

thanks for that... makes me feel really good....

Good to know that I have socks older than you...:-)
elfurioso92
AG
quote:
I have got THE answer for us older guys. Navasota Municipal. I can't even begin to describe it.

I remember that one. It seemed like it was designed by someone who just said "get a shovel and lawnmower, we're gonna make a golf course out of that pasture."
Famous Shoes
AG
You obviously haven't played Pleasanton Country Club in a few years it's a different course in the last few years,but the one in Blanket still sucks.
oldflyer
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Grapevine City Course was the worst run course that I ever played. The course itself was pretty good, but everything else was horrendous.

This was 15-20 years ago when that area exploded with growth. I'm sure they have different staff and things run smoother now. But it was awful. Every clich you can think of applied here.

This course almost always comes up on this board for courses people should play in the DFW.
It is totally different now. I got paired with this 40 year old FTW cop the other day that grew up in Euless and played it all the time growing up. He was out there for the first time since 1998 or so. He left for 16 years because the service pissed him off so bad. But those guys are all gone now. Their service is a lot like any other courses.
I got into a physical altercation with one of the course marshals there in probably 1997. We were playing in a scramble and he said we were playing too slow. Told us to move up to the 150 marker and play from there. I told him we were in the scramble and that the competition which would be screwed up if we did as he said. His reply was to try and jerk my driver out of my hand. The silly part was.....there was no one behind us!
mike_ags_fan12
quote:
You guys have clearly not seen the "executive" 9 hole course at Gabe Lozano in Corpus Christi.

+1. Like playing on a goat pasture
oldflyer
AG
quote:
quote:

Is that a local rule? I usually putt around the ant hills!
PJYoung
AG
quote:
Anyone mention of the old par 3 course in B/CS?

Yep. I played it a couple of times way back when. Good times.
bpick
Absolute worst is the Presido, Texas course which is a converted onion field followed closely by the course in Study Butte.
Mr.Bond
AG
quote:
The worst golf course in my area is Chemlake in Pasadena, out by Celanese in the Bayport Industrial area. Worse than San Jac. Worse than Pine Shadows in Lake Charles.

Didn't even know there was a course there. I've been making sales calls off Bay area Blvd for years
Ranger1743
AG
Actually really like Texaco. $10 for a relatively peaceful day of golf and some fun holes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.