Whats the worst course you've played in Texas?

20,663 Views | 149 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by datrixstunna
aggiedent
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Heron Lakes. Especially after a rain. It gives you the feel that somebody tried to build a golf course on a 2 acre rice paddy.
aggiebrother33
Berry Creek in Georgetown...the stupid par 5 on the back, ob on each side and a 90 degree turn left after about 180 yards. I had to hit 6I off the tee and was still over 280 out to the green...not to mention the 9th hole which is like hitting a drive onto an island green, with a 100 foot rock wall on the left...
stick93
AG
I've gotten used to Berry Creek. But it has the worst set of par 5's I've ever seen. You can only be confident pulling driver on one of them and then it has a 90 degree dogleg.
Ag pride
AG
Peach tree in Tyler
kw1960
I have got THE answer for us older guys. Navasota Municipal. I can't even begin to describe it.
Bunk Moreland
Bluebonnet was never a good course, but at the end of it's run, it became downright awful. I remember the last time we went to play out there. We got out of our cars, almost got on the course, then just decided to pack it all up and go to Pecan Lakes. Bluebonnet make PL look like St. Andrews by the time we got over there.
Harry Stone
AG
quote:
Blackhawk
seriously?
HouAggie
AG
^
Probably talking about Blackhawk in Pflugerville, not Houstonian.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I might put up Oak Hollow in McKinney. I've lost a ball in cracks in the ground out there. Also, #8 might be the most ridiculous hole I've ever played. Layout-wise, it's a mix of both boring or stupid.

Someone mentioned Los Rios, and I'd disagree. It smells like ass, but condition-wise, it hasn't been significantly different than any other cheap muni I've played. And I think the layout is pretty good, with a number of fun/interesting holes without being tricked up. It's always struck me as one that could be very good if it got more TLC and wasn't located next to the ****ter. That said, the ****ter-factor is always going to prevent it from getting a lot of TLC investment.
Fountain
quote:
^

Yes, Blackhawk in Pflugerville...it's like they don't give a sheet about the course.

I have to correct myself here, the worst I ever played was Willie Nelson's course when he owned it...that was almost 20yrs ago when I played it. The only good thing was that I got to meet Willie.
drivinwest
AG
Saw the earlier posts about San Jacinto golf course. I defy anyone to find a worse course. It makes the old Navasota muni look like Miramont.
1208HawkTree
AG
Worst conditions - as far as courses that still exist, Freeport Muni or Heron Lakes. Haven't played either in 10+ years, but I doubt much has changed.

All time worst was Houston Hills. Literally had rebar sticking out of the ground in one "fairway."

Worst layout/design - Sienna Plantation gets my vote. Just plain goofy. Probably worst conditions relative to what you pay, too.
Skinny Wrinkles
AG
quote:
Bluebonnet in Navasota used to be horrendous when I was in school

+1
Pepper Brooks
AG
quote:
Los Rios
Baby Billy
AG
quote:
I don't remember the name of either course, but they were both really bad. I went with a friend to the VA in Temple and we played some really bad 9 hole course. I believe the other was some links course out in La Vernia.
That would be the Temple College golf course
hunterjr81
Columbia Lakes. They lost those greens. Putting through mud.
Coppell97
AG
Green Meadows - West Course. Surely that course is no longer open?
Pahdz
quote:
Green Meadows - West Course. Surely that course is no longer open?

Out of business, see my other post, when they built that "course" it killed the entire facility.
aggolfer
AG
Southwest in Amarillo (now gone)
Oak Hollow - yes #8 is absolutely aweful
Willow Springs outside of Fort Worth - played in a HS tourney there and a dog would run around the course picking up golf balls. They actually warned us about it prior to teeing off.
Coppell97
AG
Pahdz - thanks for the info on Green Meadows. Used to play that course way too much in the 80's. It was also the site for our junior high golf championship.
antman8504
AG
texas national
TMACsDaMan
Sunset in Grand Prairie or Kingwood Cove
NorthHollywoodHenry
AG
Palacios Golf Course. Crazy windy, no trees, and probably more sand than grass on the fairways.
Smokedraw01
quote:
Battle Lake Golf Course outside of Waco. The Birdie Girls aren't bad though.

Battle Lakes now no longer has the Birdie Girls.

Outlaw Gap was a decent pitch and put but the "club house" was a delapidated old trailer.

Oak Hollow in McKinney before it was Oak Hollow.
BarryProfit
quote:
^

Shadowhawk?
Cen-Tex
AG
Worst - A&M campus course in the 80's & 90's. Greens had dirt and gravel exposed. Hard to discern the fairways from roughs at times. I'm sure it's better now.
dbtexasag05
Ascarate in El Paso used to have a 9 hole course called the "Delta 9".

I'll throw that into the mix.
aggietony2010
AG
quote:
Ascarate in El Paso used to have a 9 hole course called the "Delta 9".

I'll throw that into the mix.
My first few rounds of golf ever were at the Delta 9, at about 10 years old. Terrible fairways, uninspired layout, elevated postage stamp greens. But it was cheap and so empty that you could share clubs, making it affordable.

I didn't play it again until senior year of HS. I was able to reach (but not hit, because the greens were 8 yds x 8 yds at best, 6/7 Par 4's with a 4 iron. Turns out it was also really short.
GeorgeBailey
AG
Longview Country Club between Longview and Kilgore...barren fairways combined with oil field equipment.
famousarthur
Ronnie
AG
The worst golf course in my area is Chemlake in Pasadena, out by Celanese in the Bayport Industrial area. Worse than San Jac. Worse than Pine Shadows in Lake Charles.
t - cam
AG
quote:
Grapevine City Course was the worst run course that I ever played. The course itself was pretty good, but everything else was horrendous.

This was 15-20 years ago when that area exploded with growth. I'm sure they have different staff and things run smoother now. But it was awful. Every clich you can think of applied here.

This course almost always comes up on this board for courses people should play in the DFW.
t - cam
AG
Lake park in Lewisville
Oak ridge country club in garland has reopened as a goat track.
agsalaska
AG
quote:
quote:
Grapevine City Course was the worst run course that I ever played. The course itself was pretty good, but everything else was horrendous.

This was 15-20 years ago when that area exploded with growth. I'm sure they have different staff and things run smoother now. But it was awful. Every clich you can think of applied here.

This course almost always comes up on this board for courses people should play in the DFW.
It is totally different now. I got paired with this 40 year old FTW cop the other day that grew up in Euless and played it all the time growing up. He was out there for the first time since 1998 or so. He left for 16 years because the service pissed him off so bad. But those guys are all gone now. Their service is a lot like any other courses.
famousarthur
AG
Anyone here ever heard of Texaco Country Club?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.