***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

187,981 Views | 3419 Replies | Last: 19 hrs ago by Guitarsoup
Enzo The Baker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Celtics are resting their big 5 tonight against the hornets. Good opportunity for spurs to reclaim sole possession of 3rd worst.
Guitarsoup
AG
Risacher in the Eurocup Final loss:

2 points
1 rebound
1 assist
1/6 FG
0/2 3P
1 steal
1 block
2 turnovers
22 minutes

Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Risacher in the Eurocup Final loss:

2 points
1 rebound
1 assist
1/6 FG
0/2 3P
1 steal
1 block
2 turnovers
22 minutes

Yes it seems like his first half of the season for sure was not who he is. I'm not sure I would even take him with Toronto's pick at this point. It's really bad.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I would say Castle and Sarr are the top two for me as of today. I don't even know who 3rd would be.
Sher Thing
AG
Really interested in the combine measurements this year. It will help with some of those guards to see how they measure out.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Sher Thing said:

Really interested in the combine measurements this year. It will help with some of those guards to see how they measure out.

It seems like the combine and workouts are going to be more heavily weighted this year than ever. Like are there players that can even turn down workouts in this draft? Sarr maybe?
Sher Thing
AG
I believe the NBA actually changed the rules in the new bargaining agreement. Pretty sure the combine is now mandatory now for all individuals that want to be in the draft. Really excited about that. Now they all have to workout and measure out. Hated it when certain individuals didn't show up.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Oh man. I love that. If only we could have gotten Wemby's true measurements.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I would say Castle and Sarr are the top two for me as of today. I don't even know who 3rd would be.
I think Reed Shepherd is a distant 3rd for me. Sarr is 1st, even if the fit isn't ideal. The ideal would be that Sarr and Sochan get above 35% from three and that front court is elite defensively.
Guitarsoup
AG
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/4/12/24127859/victor-wembanyama-rookie-san-antonio-spurs-future

Quote:

If Parker, Ginobili, and Kawhi were like elegant renovations to the house that Duncan built, Wembanyama is like a blueprint drawn up by an architect from the future. Reproducing the Spurs' earlier success won't just be a matter of replication; San Antonio has a different kind of work to do.

Quote:

In Devin Vassell, the Spurs have a burgeoning tertiary option who flashed critical playmaking gains in the back half of 2023-24 before a foot injury ended his season. They have a solid scoring wing in Keldon Johnson, who needs to round out his game in order to clarify his long-term fit, and a solid caretaker point guard in Tre Jones, who has quietly shot 44 percent from 3 since mid-February. Jeremy Sochan is a dogged defender with size and snarl that should pair well with Wembanyama in the frontcourt, and a handful of useful role players dot the back of the roster. Many of these players project to have long careers, but it's unlikely any of them will become the type of no. 2 the Spurs need next to Wemby.

Quote:

There is, however, another path that may be increasingly available to the Spurs: chasing stars. Win-now blockbusters and tectonic free-agent signings have never been core to the team's DNA, but then again, the Spurs have never had a player like Wembanyama.

Re: Trae Young:

Quote:

Is Wemby more valuable as a cover for one-way savants, or as an amplifying center of gravity on a team with good defenders at every position?

Quote:

The scrutiny over the Spurs' lineup decisions, marginal moves, and in-game experimentation misses the forest for the trees. The Spurs are no longer the clear-cut "model franchise" they were for so much of the 21st century, but they've still done a lot of things right. Even this season, they have evolved from an affront to James Naismith to a team that consistently gives playoff squads everything they can handle. People might not like it. It might not even work. But the Spurs will build around Wembanyama their way, and they've earned the right to do so.
Guitarsoup
AG
AA
AG
Once he gets his stationary 3 down, it's game over for everyone
Guitarsoup
AG
AA said:

Once he gets his stationary 3 down, it's game over for everyone
And it is why we may not need an elite PG. You may want Wemby to be ball handler on the PnR.

Get an average PG like Tyus Jones or a defensive first one like Castle )thinking he may be Derrick White Mold of defense first and not an elite playmaker, but passable) and a playmaking SF (in the mold of Paul George or Tatum) then thats a great team.
AA
AG
I think they need to get a PG that is an elite drive threat. Right now, we do not have a player that's able to pressure the paint. I think that'll 1. Get Vic a lot more open looks 2. Unlock Jeremy's game because he is not going to break someone down and is ever slightly too small to be consistent in a dunker spot. Vassell got a lot better this season at putting pressure on the paint and that's when the spurs were at their best.
Guitarsoup
AG
AA said:

I think they need to get a PG that is an elite drive threat. Right now, we do not have a player that's able to pressure the paint. I think that'll 1. Get Vic a lot more open looks 2. Unlock Jeremy's game because he is not going to break someone down and is ever slightly too small to be consistent in a dunker spot. Vassell got a lot better this season at putting pressure on the paint and that's when the spurs were at their best.
Devin is top 15 in the NBA at FG% on drives.

I think you can have a non-elite PG if you are thinking of an offense that runs through Wemby similar to Jokic. You are right we need one other player that can create independently, but that can be a wing creator, too.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Spurs some reason reverting back to Collins and Wemby lineup. Terrible. But some mighty fine tanking.

Denver gets away with so much crap.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Also Murray cooking us off of screens that our guys don't fight over is exactly why Castle would be awesome.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Tre is such a bad passer. My god. Victor right in front of him under the paint for a pass.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Victor just hit 3 straight 3s. My god.
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
I feel like Mamu has earned a spot on the roster next year the way he's played recently
Guitarsoup
AG
TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

I feel like Mamu has earned a spot on the roster next year the way he's played recently
Depends how many picks we have. Right now we have 3 with possibility of four.

We have 12 under contract, but 11 when we cut Graham.

Free Agents:
Cedi
Mamu
Barlow

Under contract:

Wemby/Zach/Bassey
Sochan
Julian/Keldon
Vassell/Branham/Cissoko
Tre/Wesley

Bassey and Julian are not guaranteed.

So 4 roster spots open if we keep Bassey and Julian and we have Spurs 1st, Spurs 2nd, Lakers 2nd and Maybe Raptors 1st.

I like Mamu and Osman a lot, but may not have room for both.
Average Joe
AG
Damn, that was a game!
LawHall88
AG
Wow! What just happened there!
FTAG 2000
jteagle
AG
What a win!
Enzo The Baker
AG
Mamu opens up a lot for us. I agree that he deserves a spot. He should be in our second unit ahead of guys like Barlow, Branham, osmond. He's not great defensively but at least he crashes the boards hard.
Guitarsoup
AG
We're helping Dallas out by knocking the Nuggets out of first. OKC can wrap that 1 seed up.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Mamu opens up a lot for us. I agree that he deserves a spot. He should be in our second unit ahead of guys like Barlow, Branham, osmond. He's not great defensively but at least he crashes the boards hard.
Collins is still second team. 50/46 shooting post ASB and his DRTG went from 120 to 113.

Mamu is a good passer and rebounder for sure.
Enzo The Baker
AG
If that what's Victor's last game, what a way to wrap the season against the defending champs and possible champs this year.
LawHall88
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
Collins has turned it around for sure. I still like 12 mins of mamu in that time Vic starts the 2nd and 4th quarters at least. It's always been a really bad fit when Vic is with the second string guys. Mamu can change that.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Collins has turned it around for sure. I still like 12 mins of mamu in that time Vic starts the 2nd and 4th quarters at least. It's always been a really bad fit when Vic is with the second string guys. Mamu can change that.
I'm ready to fail for Flagg.

Give Cissoko, Mamu, Wesley, and our two second rounders next year 20mpg.
Sports-Ag
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

If that what's Victor's last game, what a way to wrap the season against the defending champs and possible champs this year.

Hopefully it's not. I'm going to the last game on Sunday. Wemby said he wants to play the last game in the post game interview with Bill and Sean. Sean told Wemby tell Pop he's the boss.
LawHall88
AG
Sports-Ag said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Hopefully it's not. I'm going to the last game on Sunday. Wemby said he wants to play the last game in the post game interview with Bill and Sean. Sean told Wemby tell Pop he's the boss.
Unless Wemby is dealing with an injury, it would kind of be an F-U to the fans to sit him.
Sports-Ag
AG
Especially on fan appreciation game.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.