***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

187,963 Views | 3419 Replies | Last: 18 hrs ago by Guitarsoup
West Texan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been watching the baseball game, so how was the Point Sochan lineups tonight?
Enzo The Baker
AG
I've noticed Victor always goes to the back when he is shut down for the game. I wonder if it's for stretching/treatment.
Enzo The Baker
AG
West Texan said:

I've been watching the baseball game, so how was the Point Sochan lineups tonight?

Their size caused a lot of problems for the rockets. They were super active and disruptive on defense, holding the rockets to only 13 points on the first quarter. They were okay on offense, not fluid by any means.
Ag Natural
AG
Sochan is definitely not a natural PG. He's a decent ball handler has a very high IQ but you can tell this is new territory for him. I like the idea of developing him there because on the defensive end they have redidulous length. Wemby was guarding Tate for Christ's sake.
jteagle
AG
I think it will be interesting to see if Pop will use this lineup in the regular season or if it was just a pre-season experiment.

We know we aren't completely there yet so there may be a lot of experimental lineups this year to see what works best.
LawHall88
AG
LawHall88
AG
No surprise.
Guitarsoup
AG

The end of an error.

I'll never forget the 11 minutes he played in the preseason this year against the Rockets where he went 0-2 with 0 points and two turnovers.
aggieactor01
AG
Guitarsoup said:

The end of an error.

I'll never forget the 11 minutes he played in the preseason this year against the Rockets where he went 0-2 with 0 points and two turnovers.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

The end of an error.

TBH I don't think Graham was that far behind him performance wise. He has sucked.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

The end of an error.

TBH I don't think Graham was that far behind him performance wise. He has sucked.
Yeah, I am not a fan of Graham. I think Pop feels the same way is Sochan is PG1 and Tre is PG2. PG3 is probably Devin.

I would have rather kept Cam Payne, but I think that we didn't because Graham is theoretically a better trade chip with the bigger contract.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Payne would have actually helped this team's depth. I still don't get that move.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Payne would have actually helped this team's depth. I still don't get that move.
He was openly talking about not wanting to be in SA and that he wanted to be on a contender.

Unlike Bullock, he actually signed with a contender - Milwaukee. And Milwaukee traded away Grayson Allen - a reliable D&3 SG, so their guards outside Dame are a cluster.

- Andre Jackson - 2nd rounder out of UConn
- Chris Livingston - 3rd to last pick in draft from Kentucky, more of a SF
- MarJon Beauchamp - late 1st last year, shot .395/.331 last year
- Malik Beasley - shot .392/.353 last year
- Pat Connaghan - shot .392/.339 last year
- AJ Green - UDFA last year, played under 350 minutes
- TyTy Washington - shot .363/.238 last year for Houston. Rockets salary dumped him to ATL, who salary dumped him to OKC, who cut him. On a two-way.
- Cam Payne

Payne is probably their second best guard. Gotta hope for the rest of the guys that Dame/Giannis show opens up lots of open shots for them.

----

From a on-court production standpoint, he fills a big need as a creator and shooter. But if he's unhappy and no one wants to give us anything, better to cut him before training camp than to be a bad locker room influence. Payne went to Milwaukee on a vet min deal. I don't think there was much demand for him.
superunknown
AG
Good evening, Spurs fans.
superunknown
AG
Wemby getting hand up and a piece of a 3 pointer on the closeout.
superunknown
AG
There was a sequence of about 4 possessions back and forth where Wemby got 2 blocks (another closeout 3 block) and hit a 3 of his own. Absolutely insane play so far.
West Texan
AG

I lol'd
MookieBlaylock
AG
Going on record that the tank may have work out
Guitarsoup
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Gotta hear both sides
West Texan
AG
superunknown
AG
Yeah thats the ones, came here to post it too.

Also, I think Vassell is gonna be a problem for a lot of teams.
superunknown
AG
It just feels right for some reason when the Warriors have a big euro dude who looks like he smokes unfiltered eastern bloc cigarettes in the hallway during halftime.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Awesome
Enzo The Baker
AG
Wemby is so good he's affecting Steph's shot.
Guitarsoup
AG
This is just insane. Sorry for the **** screen caps, but they are good enough to show positioning.

1. Where Wemby is when the pass is thrown

2. Where Wemby is when the pass is caught

3. Wemby blocking a three. Catch and shoot. No dribble. Just rhythm.

And we aren't talking about blocking an Avery Johnson three. This is 6'7 Andrew Wiggins.
Guitarsoup
AG
21 minutes, 19 points, 5 blocks, 1 steal, 1 turnover.
Guitarsoup
AG

Garnett and Pierce revise their opinions on Wemby.

Pierce: "[Wemby] out there looking like a 7'5 KD. He looking like a cross between Giannis and KD."

-----

Pierce: "Did you see that look when Wemby went up and dunked it over the whole team and Thomas Bryant? He looked up and was like... ?"

KG: "That's the look. That's the look when a N---- saw LeBron for the first time and is like 'OH ****' That's that play"

-----------

Pierce: "Everyone talking about 'he too skinny' .. "
Garnett: "Nawwwww"
Pierce: "The league ain't build like that no more"
Pierce "Ain't that type of physicality where you got guys holding/pushing.... The league's all about freedom of movement"
Garnett " AND SKILL!"
Pierce "And right now TODAY, Wemby is a top 5 skill player in the NBA. Yeah I said it. RIGHT NOW."
Garnett: *** Exhales ***
Pierce: "TOP FIVE MOST SKILLED PLAYERS IN THE LEAGUE RIGHT NOW"
Garnett: "I'm not even barking on that, you know why I'm saying that? People don't understand when you're SEVEN FIVEEEEEEE and can do what KD DO. Just stop"
Pierce: "He can do what Antetokounmpo can do. He can do what Anthony Davis can do."
Garnett. "Stop. Stop."
Pierce: "He can do what Embiid... Man's he's one of the top 5 most skilled players in the league today. "
Garnett: "He's just playing. He doesn't even know what he's doing yet. He's just reacting. "
Pierce: "In this small sample, he done show me the handles.
Garnett "Yes."
Pierce: "He done show me the step back. "
Garnett; "Yes"
Pierce: "He done show me the lob, the pick and roll threat and the pick and pop threat"
Garnett: "yes"
Pierce: "He done show me he can get the ball in traffic and dunk over everybody"
Garnett "yes. Playmaking. LISTEN. The Spurs should make the playoffs."
Pierce: "DAMN"
Garnett: "real **** real **** real ***** He took the OKC game completely over. I was all worried you know, but he got it he got it he got it."
Garnett; "But rebounds. How do I take that and get him more active in rebounds? Four to five don't cut it."
Pierce: "Yeah, for sure, but we see guards get 10 rebounds because of the long rebounds on shots, and that's why we dont see guys like Zion get 10-12 like we think they should. That's just how the game's played."
Pierce: "But to your points, this guy.... I've never seen nothing like this."

Pierce did talk about the potential physical and mental fatigue that will set in after 50-60 games. That's the hump you have to overcome your rookie year.

Garnett: "When you saw David Robinson for the first time you saw it. You saw it. You saw it. Tim Duncan. Same ***** When you watch the big fella play... you was like ... DAMN. Right? That's what I'm talking about. He has the IT Factor. He's a top tier scorer. Not just playmaking but in 1-on1. Like YAH!. He can two dribble pull up, he can step back, He got it. He got it to where he can lead a team. Now its about his IQ and his education. We saw how he looked in another league, but this is different. He's got the knowledge. We can see how much he grown in a ****IN SUMMER BRO. THREE MONTHS! Man Get the ****.

I'm talking about watching progression, bro. You know progression bro. He looks not only stronger, but smarter and he takes it and I would have gone to the hook, but he went to the scoop, ****, that aint' 7'6 movement. Yao ming moved like a big as oak tree. Shaq was walking through.. man BIG mother****er. SEVEN. Man. Seven-One walking like an oak tree bumpin into *****..

Pierce :" Man, yeah, [Wemby] got that guard work."

Garnett: "He light on his feet P. He light on his feet!"

Pierce: "Yeah. He gonna be a problem."

Garnett: " I Was excited about the NFL. ***** I'm excited about the NBA today boy"
flashplayer
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

All I do is Nguyen
My biggest concern with Wemby besides the obvious potential for injury would be how he handles a full season, and how he handles guys like Giannis, Jokic, and other really developed big men in the league. He can't body them, yet, so he will have to finesse his way to the basket.
No matter what
FTAG 2000
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I got Wemby to lead league in blocks per game at 100:1 a few weeks ago and feeling great about it.
Guitarsoup
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

My biggest concern with Wemby besides the obvious potential for injury would be how he handles a full season, and how he handles guys like Giannis, Jokic, and other really developed big men in the league. He can't body them, yet, so he will have to finesse his way to the basket.
He won't guard them. He'll guard Khris or Portis vs Milwaukee and Michael Porter or Aaron Gordon vs Denver

Giannis will give wemby problems on defense, but Joker won't guard Wemby.
Guitarsoup
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Guitarsoup said:

I got Wemby to lead league in blocks per game at 100:1 a few weeks ago and feeling great about it.

Where'd you get that?
superunknown
AG

The comments under the highlights are great
Guitarsoup
AG
superunknown said:

The comments under the highlights are great

He's even better than the Nolan Butterfras character I created.
MookieBlaylock
AG
I know it's preseason but the looks on the Warriors faces were priceless

Like wtf is this

Klay would look nice on the Spurs in the Brent Barry role

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.