***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

187,950 Views | 3419 Replies | Last: 17 hrs ago by Guitarsoup
Enzo The Baker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's going to be really interesting to see how we get our #2. You see players enter unrestricted free agency less and less nowadays. I know we have clamored over Trae but being more removed from that hype, I think I'd like to explore other avenues.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

It's going to be really interesting to see how we get our #2. You see players enter unrestricted free agency less and less nowadays. I know we have clamored over Trae but being more removed from that hype, I think I'd like to explore other avenues.
Hawks are 10-6 since March 5th with wins over Boston, Cleveland, Clippers, and the Knicks,
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Hawks are 10-6 since March 5th with wins over Boston, Cleveland, Clippers, and the Knicks,

I'd rather hold out for a PG with size I think.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

I'd rather hold out for a PG with size I think.
I don't mind holding out at all for a few reasons.

1. Those Hawks picks are either mid (10-20 range, with good shot at being better, but doubtful they are worse than 20)
2. Atlanta may get more and more desperate to trade Trae.
3. We have a lot of assets and flexibility
4. I dont think we intend to be good in 2024-2025. We tank until the 25 draft where we had 3-5 picks then make our moves with assets and cap space.
5. I think other good players will come available that fit our needs.

Guitarsoup
AG
New BR mock has Risacher falling to us at #4.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10115151-2024-nba-mock-draft-2-round-predictions-pro-comps-before-ncaa-tournament-final-four
LawHall88
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
LawHall88 said:

I still love Pop. That's awesome.

In March, DJM averaged .451/.381/.750 for 26.7/9.2/5.4/2.1s and was +1.6
Ag Natural
AG
I dont know what yall have been watching you don't think Vassell is a viable #2. He's a pretty elite scorer and has grown into being the best Wemby setup man on this current team.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ag Natural said:

I dont know what yall have been watching you don't think Vassell is a viable #2. He's a pretty elite scorer and has grown into being the best Wemby setup man on this current team.
I just see him more as a Manu-like #3 on a championship team. Does a really great job on drives. Can set up other players (though Manu was a more talented playmaker), fantastic catch and shoot 3pt shooter, talented enough to take a heavy load but not as consistently as you want from your #1 and 2.

Ideally, with a better #2 option and better shooters around, Devin will be able to expend more energy on defense and his defense will become more like what we thought it would be when we drafted him.
superunknown
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Ag Natural said:

I just see him more as a Manu-like #3 on a championship team. Does a really great job on drives. Can set up other players (though Manu was a more talented playmaker), fantastic catch and shoot 3pt shooter, talented enough to take a heavy load but not as consistently as you want from your #1 and 2.

Ideally, with a better #2 option and better shooters around, Devin will be able to expend more energy on defense and his defense will become more like what we thought it would be when we drafted him.

I think Vassell is a viable #2 for a solid perennial ~4 seed but if he's #3, we're going honking a lot.
Guitarsoup
AG
Rockets just got smoked by the Warriors in a must-win game, so they are effectively out of the play in.
jteagle
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

I watched a good chunk of that Celtics-Thunder game last night and it looked like Chet's legs are pretty tired. In a game where SGA and J-Dub weren't playing, you'd think Chet would pick up more of the slack but he was just another guy out there. Gotta be hard to be the only big man on a team with aspirations, but just made me think that post-ASB Wemby wouldn't have laid an egg in that situation.

Yea as the season has gone on, the gap between Wemby and Chet has grown considerably. Chet is not in the same stratosphere. He's still a great player and has unlocked the Thunder to be a contender but he cannot do the things that Wemby can, especially on defense. I will say though, I think Wemby missing games and the minutes restriction have helped him fight the rookie wall.

Yeah, people criticized minutes restrictions and sitting out games but the main priority this season was for Victor to finish the season healthy. The fact that he is getting better while playing more minutes is proof that they did it right. I understand that fans are disappointed when stars don't play but Pop has never listened to criticism. In the end, his job is to win championships and he has done it better than most.
M.C. Swag
AG
I will eat my hat if Hunter Sallis isn't a FRP. Hell, he'd even fit on the Spurs pretty nicely as an off the bench PG.
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

I will eat my hat if Hunter Sallis isn't a FRP. Hell, he'd even fit on the Spurs pretty nicely as an off the bench PG.
Spurs have a bench PG in Tre Jones, though. And Hunter seems like more of a SG with some playmaking upside.
M.C. Swag
AG
I was just more saying that Sallis being projected at the 36th pick is criminally underrating his skill set. He has 3 level scoring potential and yes, shows PnR playmaking traits. I think his floor is an off the bench combo guard (think Malik Monk), but his ceiling is much higher if he can add some functional bulk (muscle).
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

I was just more saying that Sallis being projected at the 36th pick is criminally underrating his skill set. He has 3 level scoring potential and yes, shows PnR playmaking traits. I think his floor is an off the bench combo guard (think Malik Monk), but his ceiling is much higher if he can add some functional bulk (muscle).
Yeah basically what Malaki Branham was supposed to be.
M.C. Swag
AG
Much better athlete (legit above the rim juice) and defender than Branham. He also can create his own shot from 3 (currently inefficient, but the tools are there). I personally think he's a borderline lotto level talent haha. I love him so much.
superunknown
AG
LawHall88
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
superunknown said:

I would pass. He has been playing like ass since his injury.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

superunknown said:

Cleveland traded Lauri, Sexton, and 5 firsts for him.

He also seems like a small combo, and even though he is good at defense, I don't know that you want him as your primary playmaker. I sure don't want to give up 5 firsts and players better than Keldon for him
Enzo The Baker
AG
I'll also add his age doesn't overlap the best (particularly if we are looking to extend him on a big long term contract). If he can get healthy and go back to earlier season form, I do like him better than Trae though.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

superunknown said:

He also seems like a small combo, and even though he is good at defense, I don't know that you want him as your primary playmaker. I sure don't want to give up 5 firsts and players better than Keldon for him

Oh hell no. He's on an expiring. If he's walking anyways, it would have to be significantly less than that from our end.
Guitarsoup
AG
I just think the Knicks pull out the stops to grab him and he wants to go there
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

If Brunson didn't have an all nba year I think that would be true. But that is a weird fit.
Guitarsoup
AG
How about:

Collins + Keldon + Graham + ATL 25 pick

For

DJM + Capela

Then in summer 25 we have

DV 27M
DJM 27.5M
Wemby 13.3M
Sochan 7M
Any new rookies

Everyone else is a FA or team option.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

If Brunson didn't have an all nba year I think that would be true. But that is a weird fit.

So is their other rumored target KAT when they have Randle.

I've got no idea about them. But I still see Dono as more of a combo and Brunson as main playmaker
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

superunknown said:

To be honest, if he can have gravitational pull on defenses away from Victor and can throw competent NBA Lobs/entry passes to Vic, maybe this team doesn't need a primary playmaker. Vic with space will be the playmaker.
jteagle
AG
M.C. Swag said:

It will be interesting to see how this draft plays out. Mocks are all over the place. "Experts" can't agree on the top 10, much less what will happen in the late first and second round. Nothing will surprise me this year. I do think there will be some good players available in the second round.
M.C. Swag
AG
jteagle said:

M.C. Swag said:

It will be interesting to see how this draft plays out. Mocks are all over the place. "Experts" can't agree on the top 10, much less what will happen in the late first and second round. Nothing will surprise me this year. I do think there will be some good players available in the second round.
100% - These are my favorite types of drafts because literally anything can happen.

I only have 3 strong opinions when it comes to the players in this draft and everyone else is kinda just 'eye of the beholder':
  • Sallis is the most underrated prospect in this class
  • Topic is the most overrated prospect in this class
  • Edey is nothing more than a change-up C in the NBA. He'll stick around because he does have nice touch and I project will actually be able to shoot some, but he's so severely limited in his mobility I don't see how a team can survive with him on the court in any capacity beyond spot minutes. I'd take him in the 2nd round, but not a pick sooner.

If the Spurs could get any player in this draft, I'd like them to take Sarr and then spend their FA$/Draft Capital to buy a proven PG. Guards are the hardest position to evaluate and now that you have your superstar (Wemby) I wouldn't waste any time trying to pick a diamond in this rough (aka Topic, Sheppard, Dillingham, etc.)
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

superunknown said:

To be honest, if he can have gravitational pull on defenses away from Victor and can throw competent NBA Lobs/entry passes to Vic, maybe this team doesn't need a primary playmaker. Vic with space will be the playmaker.

The other issue with Dono is his extension could be 5y375M.

He hasn't hit 70 games since 2019.
Guitarsoup
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

jteagle said:

M.C. Swag said:

100% - These are my favorite types of drafts because literally anything can happen.

I only have 3 strong opinions when it comes to the players in this draft and everyone else is kinda just 'eye of the beholder':
  • Sallis is the most underrated prospect in this class
  • Topic is the most overrated prospect in this class
  • Edey is nothing more than a change-up C in the NBA. He'll stick around because he does have nice touch and I project will actually be able to shoot some, but he's so severely limited in his mobility I don't see how a team can survive with him on the court in any capacity beyond spot minutes. I'd take him in the 2nd round, but not a pick sooner.

If the Spurs could get any player in this draft, I'd like them to take Sarr and then spend their FA$/Draft Capital to buy a proven PG. Guards are the hardest position to evaluate and now that you have your superstar (Wemby) I wouldn't waste any time trying to pick a diamond in this rough (aka Topic, Sheppard, Dillingham, etc.)

I agree with your take on all three of those guys.

I also like Carter from Providence. His dad was a solid defensive backup PG in the NBA for a long time, too
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
I'd definitely prefer Spida to Trae
Guitarsoup
AG
TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

I'd definitely prefer Spida to Trae

Depends on the cost. Certainly like his toughness, length, and defense more. But giving up a ton for a guy that seems to have a lot of little injuries and is 8 years older than Wemby is a little scary. Plus I think Trae creates for others better than maybe anyone but Luka

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.