***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

178,142 Views | 3299 Replies | Last: 17 hrs ago by Guitarsoup
Ag Natural
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Ag Natural said:

The griping about Pop's handling of the team and Wemby are soooo short sighted. In the grand scheme of things getting Wemby the ROTY award is NOT the primary objective of this organization. As stated publicly, the goal of the org is to foster player development with an eye to future success. It can be frustrating in the moment if you aren't capable of having a longer term vision.

I get that. But 5 wins in 30+ games is rough. With Wemby, a HOF coach and a team that was better last year, it should yield something more.
I think the overall league is just stacked right now. This team in particular has to be fully healthy and play their best to beat almost anyone. My personal frustration is the the way they are sooooo conservative with the way they handle injuries. If a guy has a freaking hangnail they make him sit. And this 25 minute limit on Wemby just seems silly to me. I really hope to flip into "win" mode and actual play they guys to win. It does get to the point where it's an embarrassing number of losses.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I think the Kawhi situation traumatized PATFO.
Enzo The Baker
AG
DeJounte widely available. Give Atlanta their pick swap back and Chicago's future 1st. Who says no?
Ag Natural
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

DeJounte widely available. Give Atlanta their pick swap back and Chicago's future 1st. Who says no?

Ha, nope. Atlanta would have to throw in another pick for us to take him back.
FTAG 2000
AG
Ag Natural said:

The griping about Pop's handling of the team and Wemby are soooo short sighted. In the grand scheme of things getting Wemby the ROTY award is NOT the primary objective of this organization. As stated publicly, the goal of the org is to foster player development with an eye to future success. It can be frustrating in the moment if you aren't capable of having a longer term vision.

Go ask Wemby if he likes losing.

He's a dawg. Second half last night he was at war with Giannis and Lopez.

I don't get Chet getting the two ROM awards. While they've been comparable stat wise, Chet has a much better team around him than Wemby does.
FTAG 2000
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Me.

At this point, I think they have to commit to the bit (tanking).

Going into the draft with two top ten picks, possibly three, gets Wemby some much needed help (provided Pop and Wright don't F that up).
Ag Natural
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Ag Natural said:

Go ask Wemby if he likes losing.

He's a dawg. Second half last night he was at war with Giannis and Lopez.

I don't get Chet getting the two ROM awards. While they've been comparable stat wise, Chet has a much better team around him than Wemby does.
Honestly that would be my biggest concern if I'm Pop. The kid wants to play and he wants to win. Hopefully he get concerned enough to play him bigger minutes.
Enzo The Baker
AG
West Texan said:

Tough break for him. I respect him for wanting to make the leap but it was risky and it might not pay off for him now. However, it could open up a greater possibility of the Spurs drafting him with the Toronto pick if they are interested, so there is that.
Ag Natural
AG
Injuries rarely impact draft position for top prospects.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I think we should give Wesley more run. Start Jones. Malaki back off the bench. Take away Dougie's minutes. Why not?
jteagle
AG
This month will be interesting. The Spurs play Cleveland, Detroit, Charlotte twice, Washington 2 twice, Portland and Atlanta. They should be able to pick up some more wins and if they get some confidence, they may even start beating some of the better teams.
Guitarsoup
AG
Wemby leads Chet in:
PPG
RPG
ORPG
DRPG
APG
SPG
BPG

Chet leads Wemby in:
MPG
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Wemby leads Chet in:
PPG
RPG
ORPG
DRPG
APG
SPG
BPG

Chet leads Wemby in:
MPG

Vic should have won ROTM in December. He had a monster month beating Chet in everything (except efficiency figures.).
Ag Natural
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Wemby leads Chet in:
PPG
RPG
ORPG
DRPG
APG
SPG
BPG

Chet leads Wemby in:
MPG

Vic should have won ROTM in December. He had a monster month beating Chet in everything (except efficiency figures.).
Yeah Chet is far ahead of Wemby in efficiency numbers. But you could argue that is also 100% due to the team he's on. Wemby also has a higher usage rate.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

West Texan said:

He just turned 20 today…
Me looking at Wemby's Per-36 numbers.

West Texan
AG
Ag Natural said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Wemby leads Chet in:
PPG
RPG
ORPG
DRPG
APG
SPG
BPG

Chet leads Wemby in:
MPG

Yeah Chet is far ahead of Wemby in efficiency numbers. But you could argue that is also 100% due to the team he's on. Wemby also has a higher usage rate.

It's absolutely because of the team he's on. Like I said in a previous post, Chet is option 3 or 4 for OKC usually. Wemby is our dude.
Enzo The Baker
AG
West Texan said:

Ag Natural said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Wemby leads Chet in:
PPG
RPG
ORPG
DRPG
APG
SPG
BPG

Chet leads Wemby in:
MPG

It's absolutely because of the team he's on. Like I said in a previous post, Chet is option 3 or 4 for OKC usually. Wemby is our dude.

I do think Chet is definitely more polished and plays within himself and the team's system. Wemby is really pushing himself to figure out the player he will be. He literally has no ceiling. In three years, assuming they stay healthy, it really shouldn't be close.
DTP02
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

West Texan said:

Ag Natural said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Wemby leads Chet in:
PPG
RPG
ORPG
DRPG
APG
SPG
BPG

Chet leads Wemby in:
MPG

I do think Chet is definitely more polished and plays within himself and the team's system. Wemby is really pushing himself to figure out the player he will be. He literally has no ceiling. In three years, assuming they stay healthy, it really shouldn't be close.

It's a lot easier to play within the system when the system and the players don't suck. Wemby has to carry more weight because no one else can/will.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

West Texan said:

Ag Natural said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Wemby leads Chet in:
PPG
RPG
ORPG
DRPG
APG
SPG
BPG

Chet leads Wemby in:
MPG

Chet has also been in this system for a year already. He may have been injured and didn't play any games last year, but he was already learning everything about how they run their offense and how he fits in it. He's also not asked to create his own shot very much and he gets to do a lot of catch and shoot or attacking close outs. Chet is a very good player and I think he's going to continue to improve and be really good for a long time. But he's being asked to do completely different things for OKC right now than Wemby is for us.
Enzo The Baker
AG
West Texan said:

Enzo The Baker said:

West Texan said:

Ag Natural said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Wemby leads Chet in:
PPG
RPG
ORPG
DRPG
APG
SPG
BPG

Chet leads Wemby in:
MPG

Chet has also been in this system for a year already. He may have been injured and didn't play any games last year, but he was already learning everything about how they run their offense and how he fits in it. He's also not asked to create his own shot very much and he gets to do a lot of catch and shoot or attacking close outs. Chet is a very good player and I think he's going to continue to improve and be really good for a long time. But he's being asked to do completely different things for OKC right now than Wemby is for us.

All of that for sure helps. But I think he is clearly a better shooter than Victor at this point.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

West Texan said:

Enzo The Baker said:

West Texan said:

Ag Natural said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Wemby leads Chet in:
PPG
RPG
ORPG
DRPG
APG
SPG
BPG

Chet leads Wemby in:
MPG

All of that for sure helps. But I think he is clearly a better shooter than Victor at this point.

Absolutely, but he's in no way a better player.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Russillo talks about Wemby in the first part of the his pod today. I'd highly recommend listening. It really puts the Spurs season into perspective.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Shams says the Raptors are getting more serious in talks about trading Siakam. Sacramento the current front runners. I thought they'd wait to see what they have now, but they are really blowing up the core.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ag Natural said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Wemby leads Chet in:
PPG
RPG
ORPG
DRPG
APG
SPG
BPG

Chet leads Wemby in:
MPG

Chet has an all NBA first team point guard that creates easy shots for him while Victor has a 20-year-old Baylor drop out power forward as his point guard
Ag Natural
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Ag Natural said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Wemby leads Chet in:
PPG
RPG
ORPG
DRPG
APG
SPG
BPG

Chet leads Wemby in:
MPG

Chet has an all NBA first team point guard that creates easy shots for him while Victor has a 20-year-old Baylor drop out power forward as his point guard

Yeah and that experiment ended a few weeks ago. I think this offense will look better and better as the season goes.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ag Natural said:

Guitarsoup said:

Ag Natural said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Wemby leads Chet in:
PPG
RPG
ORPG
DRPG
APG
SPG
BPG

Chet leads Wemby in:
MPG

Yeah and that experiment ended a few weeks ago. I think this offense will look better and better as the season goes.
Wemby's last 9 games (Spurs last 12 games, including 3 inactives):

49/40/74 shooting
20.0 ppg
9.1 rpg
4.1 bpg
3.4 apg
1.1 spg
2.9 to/g
26.8mpg

Per 36:
26.9 ppg
12.22 rpg
5.5 bpg
4.6 apg
1.5spg

So with the changes, Wemby has gotten SIGNIFICANTLY better and more efficient.
Ag Natural
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Ag Natural said:

Guitarsoup said:

Ag Natural said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Wemby leads Chet in:
PPG
RPG
ORPG
DRPG
APG
SPG
BPG

Chet leads Wemby in:
MPG

Wemby's last 9 games (Spurs last 12 games, including 3 inactives):

49/40/74 shooting
20.0 ppg
9.1 rpg
4.1 bpg
3.4 apg
1.1 spg
2.9 to/g
26.8mpg

Per 36:
26.9 ppg
12.22 rpg
5.5 bpg
4.6 apg
1.5spg

So with the changes, Wemby has gotten SIGNIFICANTLY better and more efficient.

Yep. And the Sochan at point has been getting all the attention. But I really think having Wemby play center and not playing him and Collins together is the true difference. Everyone underestimated how ready Wenby is to handle the 5. Wemby needs space to do his thing.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Amazing how everyone bit Pop saw that ....

West Texan
AG
LawHall88
AG
Wemby picked a bad moment to be unselfish.
2008and1
AG
LawHall88 said:

Sochan had an easy dunk and instead threw it out of bounds. This kid is so damn frustrating.
West Texan
AG
2008and1 said:

LawHall88 said:

Sochan had an easy dunk and instead threw it out of bounds. This kid is so damn frustrating.

That sequence kinda sums up our youth. Wemby has to score that ball. He's the man, and we got him the ball right under the basket, go put the ball in the hole. But he makes the extra pass to Sochan, who also has to score that ball. Dunk it, lay it up, something, but go up with it. But he tries to be unselfish and make the extra pass out to Keldon and throws it away. They're all trying to make the right play, but sometimes the right play is just be the guy to put the damn ball in hole.

Random thoughts from the game:
-just like against Milwaukee, we're playing much better than we were earlier in the season. Keep grinding and playing with this intensity and we're going to start winning games when we play the other bad teams.
-Blake Wesley has been a very pleasant surprise. He's been solid as the back up PG to Tre Jones these last few games.
-Branham was awful today. If he can't start knocking down some outside shots, he's nearly unplayable because he can't defend.
-I said this back during the summer league, but Dom Barlow is an NBA player and the fact that we've got him on a two way is a steal. I'm not so sure that he's not a better fit for our team than Collins because he's a better defender. Poor guy can't get a call, but I really like the way he's played.
LawHall88
AG
Also, Keldon should have rotated to the corner if he thought he might get the ball, but he pulled up because he thought Wemby was going to take the shot. As a result, Sochan didn't have a good angle to pass the ball.

But Wemby has to take that shot, and he'll figure that out soon enough.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Branham is infuriating. I found it annoying that when he got beat on defense he was blaming others. Dude is a parking cone and should be benched. Honestly they should just send him to Austin until he can knock down a three point shot.

I also find it interesting that McDermott hasn't been getting time. I like it. If you can't play defense, you shouldn't play at all.

Wemby is really coming alive. I loved how he got to the line today.

And I'm not missing Collins at all. I'd love to see more Barlow.
StillNotAnAggie
Some of these "highlights" are pretty meh, but imagine if they could pass him the ball a little more, and he played more than 25 minutes a game. And he's only 20.

I'm excited for the future, so long as he stays in San Antonio.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.