Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Put it back!

147,422 Views | 957 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by S.A. Aggie
Ol Jock 99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
It seems to me that those who wanted to incorporate the cannon into the stadium design should have gotten involved during the planning stages and not waited to throw a tantrum after it was too late to change things.

Because we were told over and over that our traditions would be "preserved and enhanced".
Fitch
AG
quote:
quote:
The current construction of the towers was not engineered to deal with cannon fire.
This may be right, but there is still one tower yet to be built. Built that one in a way that it can withstand the cannon fire.

Put the cannon on the new NW tower.

This will not happen.

I'm saying this, not arguing it: to think the NW tower can/will be changed with the engineering & design already finalized and the steel already in process is wasted effort. There is no place in the as-of-yet constructed portion of the stadium to put the cannon and it is too late to redesign it entirely to fit in a new feature.
munch96
AG
quote:
It seems to me that those who wanted to incorporate the cannon into the stadium design should have gotten involved during the planning stages and not waited to throw a tantrum after it was too late to change things.

Cannon placement was supposedly factored in per the design team leading up to this point. It was brought up in the press conferences. They emphasized that all traditions were going to be factors in the design. And we took their word for it.

It isn't like there was a sudden epiphany.
Brazos Born
Ammunition budget would have been shot to hell after the Lamar game.
byfLuger41
Pooh Ah
AG
quote:
I can't imagine a solution that would not result is significant cost increase or some reduction in seating capacity. They didn't even have a cannon when I was in school....or maybe they did. We didn't score much in those days so it's hard to say.

Why does Bonfire feel so strongly about the cannon?

In the fall of 1974 at Cut, Aggies came upon something unusual buried in the Woods. An emergency meeting of the Red Pots was convened. As one would say later, "We knew we found something special... And that it was going to cost us at least a day of work."

Cut was immediately halted in the area. The object was unearthed. It was a field gun. Carefully refurbished, it would become "The Spirit of '02". Bonfire loves that cannon. And you should to.

#SaveTheCannon
ag92tx
I'm guessing none of the big time stadium donors really care that much or this would be fixed overnight.
GatorAg03
AG
The limited few: boston74, twk, etc that act like this isn't important because it wasn't there when they were in school are terribly misguided.

This is a very meaningful tradition, tied indirectly back to bonfire, and means a ton to most Aggies today. In some ways, it keeps a part of bonfire tradition tied to football and the university, since we can't have the real deal.

Traditions can be formed in modern times and they don't all have to have started in the 1800s or when you were in school. This one of the few modern traditions that has been established in recent decades that is well worth preserving.

I am just amazed and disappointed that our leadership (still TBD who since noone is taking the blame/credit) allowed this to happen. We have to get this fixed ASAP.

The last minute scrambling and excuse making is the most disappointing aspect, as the leaders are now making it sound like there was nothing that could have prevented this and that this was some unforseen circumstance when there is no proof they ever really incorporated the cannon into the planning in the first place.
BostonAg74
quote:
Cannon placement was supposedly factored in per the design team leading up to this point.

And I'm guessing that there was probably a design at some point that included it, and when initial cost estimates came in, things had to be cut and seating capacity had to be increased. Someone in authority determined that having a cannon was not more important than the bottom line. That's how it goes in the construction biz.
Towns03
AG
Bump. This tradition should be a priority. Make it happen.
Pooh Ah
AG
quote:
quote:
Cannon placement was supposedly factored in per the design team leading up to this point.

And I'm guessing that there was probably a design at some point that included it, and when initial cost estimates came in, things had to be cut and seating capacity had to be increased. Someone in authority determined that having a cannon was not more important than the bottom line. That's how it goes in the construction biz.
Then let that individual step forward and state as much.
GatorAg03
AG
quote:
I'm guessing none of the big time stadium donors really care that much or this would be fixed overnight.

Most Ags just realized this was a problem on Saturday. It's not like a memo went out in the off-season notifying everyone of the cannon's dismissal. I would be very surprised if this isn't resolved by 2015 at the latest. Ags just have to keep the pressure up and make the leaders keep their word about preserving and enhancing traditions in the new stadium.
FTA2015
AG
The old weight room that was torn down is now essentially an unmarked parking lot just outside the stadium. During the Lamar game they had the team buses sit there during the game. Almost no pedestrians, close to stadium, and more than enough room for the cannon
VanZandt92
The first thing my son noticed, even while watching on TV, was that there was no cannon. It is a big deal.
2006EE
AG
quote:
quote:

I don't think that's how it went down at all.

I think someone wants to get rid of the cannon so we are hearing they can't do it. But really they don't want to do it.
FTA2015
AG
The old weight room that was torn down is now a large open paved area right outside the stadium, little foot traffic and close to stadium
Bird Poo
AG
This is complete BS. Aggies deserve an explaination after being told the cannon would remain.
Dunbar
AG
Who do we contact?
BostonAg74
There are all kinds of potential issues here, most of them involving money, and probably a lot of money. I don't think there was any secret directive to get rid of the cannon. I think it was just determined that it is a luxury we cannot afford.
2006EE
AG
quote:
Who do we contact?
Tweet out to the university, regents, 12th Man, Jason Cook, and anyone else tied to A&M using #SaveTheCannon and #PutItBack.

No one will own this decision so we need to make our wished known and twitter and facebook are our best options for now.
VanZandt92
People need to start calling. Where do we call?

And I'd suggest a call or an actual written mail is more effective than effing Twitter.
Frank Grimes
AG
Maybe we can just add a bell ringer.
VanZandt92
If you tweeted me, I'd assume you're new army and don't matter. I'm just saying.
Fitch
AG
quote:
There are all kinds of potential issues here, most of them involving money, and probably a lot of money. I don't think there was any secret directive to get rid of the cannon. I think it was just determined that it is a luxury we cannot afford.

Respectfully I disagree. It's been five days since really anyone figured this out.

The plan that was approved and announced and publicized was rescinded days before the first game and has received no such publicity.

It hasn't even been officially announced that they're not going to even going to be able to fire from the practice fields like last week because of ruts left from the artillery. So you're looking at a game this week without cannon fire, and the parties who started this mess haven't stepped forward.

This may not be a cloak and dagger conspiracy, but the total anonymity of the deciding party is extremely frustrating. Its a tradition that is enjoyed and loved by the overwhelming majority of Aggies. It is unacceptable that someone should be able to remove that tradition and not claim responsibility for it.
munch96
AG
quote:
quote:

Okay, for the sake of discussion, let's say the cannon got VE'd out of the project scope. Why then would they just say that the cost of providing a location was not feasible due to the budget rather than than have the Trigon and the Corps go through this whole dog and pony show with testing the cannon at different locations when the solution was just to to have to have a video graphic?
GatorAg03
AG
quote:

You are a troll. Don't make crap up to try to muddy the issue. That's a wild guess with no hint of fact to back it up. If there was any truth to this BS at all, then who made the decision, when and how much money are we talking? I bet a large sume of money can be raised pretty darn quick, by former students, pro-Bonfire Ags, the Corps, PMC etc if that was really the issue.

Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:

We are going to have a laser light show projecting from the towers. Money isn't the problem.
2006EE
AG
quote:

And I'd suggest a call or an actual written mail is more effective than effing Twitter.
We have tried and have been getting the run around. One office telling us one thing and another telling us something else. Everyone is pointing fingers at other people.

But go ahead and keep calling or writing.

But social media got the 12 empty seats idea scrapped. It's more powerful than you think.
2006EE
AG
quote:
If you tweeted me, I'd assume you're new army and don't matter. I'm just saying.
And that's why you don't run twitter for anything. I'm just sayin.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
quote:

Everyone in power owns a home, and that address is publicly available. It takes less than a minute to find anything you want to know. Start sending letters to homes. If their mailbox is constantly filled to the point of having to visit the post office to get the mail, they'll start answering questions.
BostonAg74
My guess is that those who initially approved a plan for the cannon did not do their due diligence (regarding liability, etc.) prior to that approval and are not coming forward now because they do not want to put a spotlight on their own incompetence. I cannot imagine a location for that cannon within Kyle Field that would not pose huge liability issues. Someone should have at least looked into that before giving any approval.
ag92tx
I can hear the cannon a 1/2 mile away still in the historic district when I'm in my house. How can it not be heard inside the stadium? Isn't the cannon even larger
Pooh Ah
AG
quote:
That would not pose huge liability issues

What liability? It shoots BLANKS. It is not like 40 pound supersonic projectiles are landing in Welborn.

Blanks. A black powder charge that is measured. Please explain the liability to me.
2006EE
AG
quote:
I can hear the cannon a 1/2 mile away still in the historic district when I'm in my house. How can it not be heard inside the stadium? Isn't the cannon even larger
They put in on the practice field. It had to go thru two buildings and the south zone (as well as 104k screaming fans) before getting to the stadium. I could hear it, but it sounded like a pop gun.
Fitch
AG
The approved spots were outside but proximate to the stadium.

The SE plaza was designed for the new cannon, the Corps monuments now present were to be located near the new cannon, and there were crowd plans in action last Saturday to create a wider radius for the cannon fire despite it not being there (it was too late in the week to change plans when the announcement was made that the approvals were rescinded).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.