Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Put it back!

147,414 Views | 957 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by S.A. Aggie
CandyMan04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CandyMan04
quote:
quote:
Towns,
From what we know, has the canon had ever been tested in the stadium?

I was told there was extensive testing and decibel monitoring. There's a detailed report that I hope to have within 10 days.
There was NO testing done INSIDE the stadium. The reason being that since it is a bowl you can NOT shoot the Spirit 02 inside the stadium without it pointing at the crowd. It is a field gun and can't have the barrel elevated.
WH99P!
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Towns,
From what we know, has the canon had ever been tested in the stadium?

I was told there was extensive testing and decibel monitoring. There's a detailed report that I hope to have within 10 days.
There was NO testing done INSIDE the stadium. The reason being that since it is a bowl you can NOT shoot the Spirit 02 inside the stadium without it pointing at the crowd. It is a field gun and can't have the barrel elevated.

According to Phillip Ray, there will be testing done in the stadium this week (on top of the tower). In the previous testing, the cannons were outside on the SE steps, but there were sensors in & around the stadium, as well as at other points on campus. The results of this prior testing should be public knowledge but have not been made available.

Candy man is right about not being able to elevate the barrel; however, shooting inside does not necessarily mean shooting at the crowd (or teams or media or staff).
Ol Jock 99
AG
It will be interesting to see what the testing shows, because we were certainly lead to believe testing occurred inside.
Tenderloin
AmC_OldSarge
AG
Any update on Cannon?
pkc7422
AG

imjustsayin
AG
PUT IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rant over
ScoobyDoobyDoo
AG
still no cannon fire heard on campus..
Ol Jock 99
AG
Make sure you are listening tomorrow. Hopefully.
Aggie Infantry
AG
Put it Back!
A is A
AG
quote:
Three Seasons
AG
The real question is what parameters are going to be used. How will they account for empty seats. What sound reduction techniques will be in place. We already know about what dB level '02 will produce...shooting it in the stadium and saying "...told you so" is not acceptable.
HoldMyBeer
AG
Put it Back!

They test fired '02 inside of Jerryworld prior to the 2013 Cotton Bowl. Later they were told the sound check was fine but they didn't have room on the field level... had to make room for the Kilgore Rangerettes.
2006EE
AG
quote:
Put it Back!

They test fired '02 inside of Jerryworld prior to the 2013 Cotton Bowl. Later they were told the sound check was fine but they didn't have room on the field level... had to make room for the Kilgore Rangerettes.
When we test fired it vs Arky the first year we were told it was borderline. We couldn't fire it every score but could fire it to start the 1st and 3rd quarters.
agz win
AG
quote:

There is HOPE!
GarryowenAg
AG
I'm not holding my breath
WH99P!
AG
quote:

Hold your breath, spider! I've heard the same thing! Tomorrow afternoon.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
quote:
quote:

Hold your breath, spider! I've heard the same thing! Tomorrow afternoon.

Who can hold their breath until tomorrow afternoon?
Towns03
AG
DONT GET YOUR HOPES UP.

The testing will only be used as the official excuse to scrap Spirit of '02 for good. Someone, somewhere (EHS, I'm told) has put a random and inappropriate requirement of under 140 decibels for cannon fire. Spirit will register over 140 because, well, it's a cannon. And the admin will have officially stripped us of another important tradition. We'll be one step closer to a big box university. Maybe we can start playing Sandstorm after every score???

for what it's worth, people cheering will hit 140 decibels:

quote:
Seahawks fans had set a record of 136.6 in a win over San Francisco in September. The mark was topped by Kansas City fans in October with 137.5 decibels.
To put that in perspective, a jet engine at 100 feet is about 140 decibels.

link:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10071653/seattle-seahawks-fans-set-stadium-noise-record
spanky
AG
They are getting the 140 db from an OSHA document:

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/noisehearingconservation/

Of course, these OSHA recommendations are meant to be used as a daily averages, but it seems EHSD is using peak values incorrectly as daily averages imho.
schmellba99
AG
Sitting on a tower, elevated up (even pointed toward the stadium), and with a slightly reduced charge should produce easily less than 140dB.

Especially when you consider the game day environment, where you have 105k noise creation and abatement systems filling the stands.

And even if (though minimal chance at that) shooting it toward the stadium exceeds 140dB - which I will never understand how it could do so, yet have been safe to fire before the south zone was built - facing it away through the gap, elevated and with a normal charge will produce far, far, far less than 140dB inside the stadium at any measureable point, including seats directly behind the cannon.
Towns03
AG
Maybe we should acquire (rent?) some decibel meters and take them to the Ole' Miss game. with meter readings over these safe values logged in different areas inside Kyle we could throw the EHS argument right back at them.

?
Ol Jock 99
AG
I like it Towns!
schmellba99
AG
quote:
Maybe we should acquire (rent?) some decibel meters and take them to the Ole' Miss game. with meter readings over these safe values logged in different areas inside Kyle we could throw the EHS argument right back at them.

?

I know for a fact that back in '99 the stadium hit 128.7dB against OU. I was there, they bragged about us possibly breaking the record for loudest recorded stadium ever, and they showed the handheld meter on the jumbotron.

And that was with the person holding the meter standing on the southwest corner, without the south zone and corner seating to trap the sound in.
Chickenhawk
Put it back!!!
ajn142
AG
quote:

?
There are a few apps that do this as well. May not be quite as accurate as a proper instrument, but I'd bet they do the job well enough, and might be a lot more practical for a large number of people to obtain. The more places being measured, the better chance of catching it over 140.

Link to NIOSH Study on Sound Measuring Apps
Esteban du Plantier
AG
And where is this arbitrary 140 threshold going to be measured from? The center of the field, the opposite side of the stadium?
Ol Jock 99
AG
I'd also be very curious about the duration of the sound. Assume a cannon blast is at 140 Db for 1/10 of a second (probably too long). If we score 10 times, that is 1 second of exposure.

Which is "worse": 1 second at 140 Db or 5 minutes at 120 Db???
Esteban du Plantier
AG
If they test from the tower, will they be aiming away from the field?

Ol Jock 99
AG
From a buddy who works with sound:
quote:
The CDC and NIOSH say that the maximum exposure for 120 dB is ~ 7.5 seconds while 140 is ~.117 seconds (according to my quick math). +6 dB is a doubling of sound so 120 dB is a healthy distance from 140, but both are loud. Either way I am wearing hearing protection.
WH99P!
AG
Their sensors will be placed at numerous locations all over the stadium, just like last test. Problem is, last time you couldn't even hear 'o2 in the empty stadium, so I don't see how it's even remotely possible that it tested at 140+ db inside Kyle.

I have a feeling they'll be even more restrictive than last time about who gets in to witness this testing from up close. Last time, it was some people from the museum, a few Cav Jocks from half section, some bulls, and a few admins. EHS people were positioned at every sensor, so if you were to find one of them & make friends, you could see for yourself (and perhaps sneak a quick pic) of the actual registered noise level.

We all know this is skewed anyway. By Kyle being empty, of course the cannon will sound louder than on game day. This, in turn, causes all the outsiders (i.e., museum guests) to ooh & ahh over how loud '02 is & hold their ears & cause a stir (albeit, likely unintentional). Then you've got these EHS "professional" sensor monitors who know nothing about the cannon or tradition or even safety for that matter. All they know is how to read the number off a sensor & report it back to the head honcho with a walkie talkie. I'd guess if any of those meters happens to read over 140db, they'll try to shut down the whole thing.

It's gonna take a lot of fight & some ingenuity to get '02 back at Kyle.
WH99P!
AG
In other PUT IT BACK news...

SHIRT UPDATE:

PUT IT BACK has recently partnered with CC Creations on shirt sales! This is great news for several reasons:

1) CCC can offer in-store & online sales for those wanting to buy PUT IT BACK shirts. (Told you we wouldn't forget about our long-distance Aggies!)

2) CCC can print more at a lower cost, meaning cheap shirts for you and better recognition for this cause.

3) Best of all, more money for Parsons Mounted Cavalry! Since CCC's print costs are lower than ours, we can donate more per shirt to the Cav.

Hope y'all are as excited as we are about this! It's great to know we're making an impact & have gained the support of local business. Expect shirts in the CCC warehouse store & online next week ($12.95, Youth Med - 3X, maroon shirt w/white ink). We've passed along your orders, so they should have enough for everyone. $5/shirt will go to PMC, even better than our first go-round! More details to come as we get them.

https://www.facebook.com/supportputitback?ref=bookmarks
Towns03
AG
^ can we use proceeds to rent decibel monitoring units for 'Ole Miss? I just called a supplier of ours - $60 per unit for the weekend. it would be nice to have 4-6 of them around Kyle

Our company, PURGIT Vapor Control Systems, will sponsor the equipment rental too. Who's going to the game from Houston that wants to take samples? these things are smartphone sized.

Also, will CC make me a t-shirt with a front pocket??
Longstreet
That's an excellent idea Towns.

I meant the db meters. But the pocket's cool too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.