Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Put it back!

147,424 Views | 957 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by S.A. Aggie
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also, non-reg from the early 00s here, and I missed hearing the canon on Saturday. Bring it back, ASAP.
trouble
AG
quote:
Why would they go to the trouble of securing a 105 if the concept was to scrap the canon altogether? Seems to me the order is/was this:

• 02 inside the stadium
  • Close the stadium. Now 02 is too loud, so we move it outside the stadium
  • 02 too quiet outside the stadium so we'll get a 105 and mount it
  • 105 too loud outside the stadium where people are walking around
  • ???

You are assuming that the same group that wants it scrapped was the one that procured the 105.

That is an incorrect assumption.
sharpdressedman
quote:
Per TexAgs radio this morning:

Decision to remove cannon was made by an "unknown person".

And, no plans - this year or next - to bring it back.

PUT IT BACK!
So, based upon his multiple posts on this site regarding the new cannon and it's inclusion in the game-day experience, the Commandant clearly did not know "the plan." Was this "unknown person" responsible for allowing the General to now appear as an uninformed fool? What say you, Gen. Ramirez?
MW03
AG
Was the 105 a class gift, or did the university buy that thing? Someone should be livid if they let them buy a $100,000* field gun they never intended to use.

I had the distinct pleasure of standing next to a USMC honor guard firing a 105 at the DFW National Cememtary Memorial Day service. While certainly really effing loud, it's not the catastrophic stomach stomach popping ear drum bursting sonic boom people are making it out to be. But if they are truly worried, put it out on Simpson with the PMC and let folks come take pictures before the game, and then pound shells after every TD.

*Estimate pulled directly out of my ass.
Bird Poo
AG
Kickoffs, touchdowns, midnight yells, major victories (multiple cannon shots) will NOT be the same.

This "unknown person" needs to have some backbone and integrity to explain why this is all going away. Unbelievable--this kind of crap is exactly what many feared would happen with a new stadium.
ajn142
AG
THE CANNON IS CANON! PUT IT BACK!
MW03
AG
quote:
THE CANNON IS CANON! PUT IT BACK!

Nice.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
quote:
quote:
If they can do a 21 gun salute inside Reed arena then they can fire the cannon in or around Kyle field in such a way that it will be heard. I dont care if they have to reduce the charge or whatever there has to be a way to incorporate it.

This.

If we're worried about loud noises and their effect on the structure, ask the insurance company what they think about EFFING THUNDER.

I've been in some thunderstorms that would put that cannon to shame.

You cannot successfully sue a thunderstorm. You can sue a university. HTH.

Clarification: I want the cannon back as much as anyone, but this defense is silly.
Aggie Infantry
AG
Bring it back!
If evidence ever surfaces of a premeditated plan to do-away with the cannon, heads should roll.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Is the Athletic Dept Subject to FOIA requests?
trouble
AG
quote:
First, there is NO truth to the rumor that we will no longer be firing for games and will only use a "tape" of the cannon firing on the jumbotron in the future. I know there are LOTS of rumors flying around about the cannon and what will happen in the future with it, and I have done my best to explain it in previous posts.

Based on the fact that we had the move the cannon again for this weekend, and we do NOT have time to get a live feed of the cannon to the jumbotron from the new location (the quad), here are the FACTS about what we are going to do for this weekend's game:

1. The new M101A1, 105mm cannon IS going to be placed at the SE corner of the east plaza of Kyle Field. That is where is was ALWAYS planned to go. It will NOT fire there, but will be on display for folks to take pictures if they chose to do so.

2. The Spirit of '02 will fire for Step-off, then will march-in with the PMC, as always (assuming it doesn't rain and the field isn't too soggy). After the march-in, the Spirit of '02 will return to the Fiddlers Green with the remainder of PMC.

3. There WAS discussion about running a videotaped version of the cannon firing for this weekend's game, but we decided that was NOT a good idea. We are NOT going to have a tape of the cannon firing for this weekends game. Because we cannot get a live feed for this weekend's game, there will be NO cannon for this weekend's game.

4. Between now and the Ol Miss game on 11 Oct, we will get the live feed worked from the Spirit of '02 on the quad to the jumbotron in the stadium so that for all future home games we WILL get a live feed of the Spirit of '02 firing after our team scores. I know there are many who don't like a live feed to the jumbotron, but we feel its the best way possible this season to keep the cannon an active part of the game day activities.

I hope this clears things up for all. I know its not the optimum solution, and is disappointing to many, as I have said before, but its the safest and best solution for this season. As I've stated before, this solution is for THIS SEASON ONLY. We are going to look at other options for next season as we begin the renovation of the west side of Kyle Field.

As always, I thank all of you for your support of our Corps. Beat the HELL Outta Rice!

Ol Jock 99
AG
^^^
Gen Ram
Turk Turkleton
AG
So don't get me wrong. I want to keep the cannon just as much as the next guy but I'm seeing a lot of accusations around here that the upper-ups want the cannon gone, like they just don't like it or have some sort of personal vendetta against it. That just seems silly and makes little sense to me that someone is planning its demise just because they don't like it. Now, could they be trying to get rid of it due to logistical purposes or for some financial reason? Sure. That I wouldn't doubt, but the idea that someone just doesn't like it is an idea that to me lacks reason.

Now, if one of you who is claiming that this was some big master plan all along can point out WHY this was a plan, then maybe we can make some progress here.
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
I'm seeing a lot of accusations around here

New here?
aggiewoodie
AG
http://www.troll.me/images/alien-guy-from-history-channel/germans.jpg
Fitch
AG
Would it be that much different if, in the absence of a 'conspiracy,' there were disingenuous statements being made with little to no follow up?

This is as much about holding people accountable as anything.
8T2
quote:
So don't get me wrong. I want to keep the cannon just as much as the next guy but I'm seeing a lot of accusations around here that the upper-ups want the cannon gone, like they just don't like it or have some sort of personal vendetta against it. That just seems silly and makes little sense to me that someone is planning its demise just because they don't like it. Now, could they be trying to get rid of it due to logistical purposes or for some financial reason? Sure. That I wouldn't doubt, but the idea that someone just doesn't like it is an idea that to me lacks reason.

Now, if one of you who is claiming that this was some big master plan all along can point out WHY this was a plan, then maybe we can make some progress here.

Well, this is kind of a big day for conspiracy theorists, so there's that.
Turk Turkleton
AG
Touche, sir.
reddestass16
AG
I don't know sizes of artillery pieces at all, but if Spirit of 02 and the new cannon will be not fired, would it be possible to have four much smaller cannons on all corner platforms, with the cumulative effect being loud enough to recreate either original cannon? Smaller cannons would create less pressure and noise in that area. Would also create the "Fort Kyle" effect for the stadium!
VanZandt92
quote:
quote:
quote:
If they can do a 21 gun salute inside Reed arena then they can fire the cannon in or around Kyle field in such a way that it will be heard. I dont care if they have to reduce the charge or whatever there has to be a way to incorporate it.

This.

If we're worried about loud noises and their effect on the structure, ask the insurance company what they think about EFFING THUNDER.

I've been in some thunderstorms that would put that cannon to shame.

You cannot successfully sue a thunderstorm. You can sue a university. HTH.

Clarification: I want the cannon back as much as anyone, but this defense is silly.

Actually, liability of the university is somewhat limited.
i'm just a caveman....
VanZandt92
If somebody misspells cannon again, my head will explode.
2006EE
AG
Canon.
Maroon Flash
AG
All I can do is continue to buy season tickets and post on here but something needs to be done about this situation.

Evidently the "unknown" power that has completely screwed this up never watched Aggie football through the haze of gunsmoke. The Spirit '02 is an intimidation factor!

All this money was pissed away on the awful statues of students and Yell Leaders and we don't have enough foresight to beef up one of the towers so we can mount Spirit '02 on it. That sucks and Hyman owes an explanation of how this happened and whether anything will be done about this.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Think about this, more than half of all Aggies (alive, dead, or still in school) went to school after the cannon was added. I think the median date right now is 1994-1995. So yes, its been a tradition for a majority of the whole body of Aggies.

[Derail Thread Moment] Now analyzing the same data, look at how many Aggies haven't seen an on campus bonfire.

Polish1979
AG
I transferred in. Was, by my own admission, something of a 2%er. But I love the traditions that make gameday at A&M unique. I love the cannon and want it there. It adds something to make the traditions a bit more real.

We talk all day long about our military heritage and use it as a sales pitch when discussing our school. The truth is, an 8yr old boy who is dreaming of going to college one day, is actually going to feel the heritage it if we have the cannon firing each time we score. It has just as much of an impact on some people as other traditions like bonfire, kissing our dates, or muster. It's supposed to make you stop and take notice. It's supposed to be loud and jarring. It's something that ties in who we are and whom we represent. It's shown on TV during the games and it is something that sets us apart because of the heritage associated with it. It's not just some noisemaker. I want the students and fans to feel the repercussion from the cannon. What's more important is that I want those that haven't yet gone to college and who also get excited from hearing the cannon to know that they are the type of people we want at our school. If you could care less...so could we.
agnerd
AG
Is a video feed of the cannon really any different than putting up a brick tarp on your stadium walls? Gigatron cannon makes us look like Baylor in that we are using an artiificial representation of the real thing. I say just completely forget about the cannon for this year and concentrate all of those efforts on making damn sure it's incorporated into the final design somewhere IN THE STADIUM.
VanZandt92
My nine year old grins like a school girl every time that cannon fires.
Fitch
AG
I think that says it better than anyone has been able to.

Wholeheartedly agree, Polish.
VanZandt92
Can a cannon not be mounted on a tower, but facing away from the stadium so as to cause less percussion?
Satellite of Love
quote:
It's a big gun that makes lots of noise in a place with 100,000 people crowded around it. Didn't anyone see some potential problems with that?
Well we now have 100,000 people screaming in an enclosed environment, might as well require everyone to be silent because you know, we could have potential problems. People could have their ear drums ruptured because of the decibel levels generated by a rowdy crowd. We wouldn't want to hurt anyone.

See how dumb your excuse is in the grand scheme of things?
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
Canon.
Nikon
sharpdressedman
Thank you, Fitch, for your participation in this conversation. Your thorough understanding of the stadium re-development plan is both obvious and appreciated by all of us who enjoy reading the mega-thread on the construction project.

The General's comments (above) are significantly incomplete. Perhaps most relevant to this conversation, he does not address the reason/source for the misinformation he provided in his earlier postings. I don't believe he was "shooting from his hip" when he previously described how the newly acquired cannon would be used. He is being a "good soldier," and trying to clean-up some higher-ups' mess.

I think it is clear that there is no current plan to incorporate the firing of either cannon into the Kyle Field game-day environment. If there was, it would have been quickly shared when this controversy surfaced. More candor/accountability and less bs is always a good choice when managing a message.
munch96
AG
quote:
quote:
Canon.
Nikon

Minolta.
VanZandt92
Bratwurst.

wait, what?

We tonight!
Esteban du Plantier
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Canon.
Nikon

Minolta.

Phase One Medium Format

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.