Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Put it back!

147,433 Views | 957 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by S.A. Aggie
TexasAggie_02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
What's happening? Can't find any reliable info.

Basically the cannon will be taken away from game day activities because of bureaucratic pressure from a small number of people calling the shots. It has not been said that way, but there has been a slow erosion of the ability to fire the cannon, and waiting until after the season will be too late to get a change in.

The noise of "this season only" is misleading. This has been fixed and planned since the beginning. It was only changed in the days leading up to the Lamar game. It has completely pulled the rug out from under the cannon handlers, and the parties making those decisions won't even say it publicly or claim it's their decision.

It's unacceptable that another tradition can just be tossed aside.
I hate to see it go as well but lets not mistake the cannon as being a tradition in the form of the 12th man or midnight yell. The cannon has been around since 1983 I believe. Losing it would be sad but it wouldn't be a detriment to our football lore.

So it would have been okay to stop standing at football games in the 1950s b/c "we've only been doing it since 1922"

Maroon out started in 1998, its no big deal.

Big Event started in the 80s, no big deal.

Ring dunking started in the 80s, no big deal
trouble
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
What's happening? Can't find any reliable info.

Basically the cannon will be taken away from game day activities because of bureaucratic pressure from a small number of people calling the shots. It has not been said that way, but there has been a slow erosion of the ability to fire the cannon, and waiting until after the season will be too late to get a change in.

The noise of "this season only" is misleading. This has been fixed and planned since the beginning. It was only changed in the days leading up to the Lamar game. It has completely pulled the rug out from under the cannon handlers, and the parties making those decisions won't even say it publicly or claim it's their decision.

It's unacceptable that another tradition can just be tossed aside.
I am inclined to believe that eliminating the canon was the plan all along, but the bureaucrats knew it would be very unpopular, so they kept it quiet until it became "too late" to find an accommodation.
I agree with this.
Btron
AG
We'll all get over it and move on.

How many come to Kyle Field to see a cannon? None? Some? All? It's about winning, towels, yells, 12th man, mugging gfs, aggie band. That's what makes gamedays special. Not a cannon. They start removing some of those, then I can see us putting up a fuss. But not a cannon.
Sorry corps, it's not that important to the rest of the current students and former students.
GatorAg03
AG
Sealy,

So if it's not one our biggest traditions then it isn't worth saving? I think it is awesome the tradition started after discovering the cannon during cut. It keeps our biggest lost tradition, bonfire, still indirectly tied to football. 30+ years of tradition is nothing to scoff at either and I guarantee it means a whole lot to most Ags that have gone through school the past 30 years. Thank goodness most Ags didn't have this view in the years immediately following E King Gill or after the first midnight yell. Sure it isn't our greatest tradition, but that doesn't mean we should sit back as it is casually tossed aside without explanation.
trouble
AG
quote:

How many come to Kyle Field to see a cannon? None? Some? All? It's about winning, towels, yells, 12th man, mugging gfs, aggie band. That's what makes gamedays special. Not a cannon. They start removing some of those, then I can see us putting up a fuss. But not a cannon.
Sorry corps, it's not that important to the rest of the current students and former students.
It's important to a lot of people.
Flack
If they can do a 21 gun salute inside Reed arena then they can fire the cannon in or around Kyle field in such a way that it will be heard. I dont care if they have to reduce the charge or whatever there has to be a way to incorporate it.
Fitch
AG
quote:

I'm a nonreg former student who was born in the late 80's. I absolutely give a damn about this
2006EE
AG
quote:

See my previous post. This is one of those where I need a new button.
8T2
I don't think this save the cannon campaign has an ice cube's chance in hell without a letter from Old Main explaining the tradition of the cannon, replete with diagrams and photos with arrows and circles drawn on them to indicate important stuff and whatnot.
stantxag
AG
Well I'll be a son of a gun. Put it back.
FTA011
AG
quote:
I'm a nonreg former student who was born in the late 80's. I absolutely give a damn about this
samsies
schmendeler
AG
quote:
Get real answers to those questions, and you will know what you have to do. T-shirts and email don't mean a thing until then.

nice of you to join every one else on the thread.
txaggie_2011
AG
quote:

With all due respect, you don't speak for that entire group. I wasn't in the Corps and I think it's important.
VanZandt92
quote:

Since everybody else is explaining it otherwise, I'll just tell you you are out of touch.
Heelside Tantrum
quote:
quote:

VanZandt92
And I don't think Maroon Out is a big deal. Everybody does some color day at every school.

And I wear white to games.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
quote:
I am inclined to believe that eliminating the canon was the plan all along, but the bureaucrats knew it would be very unpopular, so they kept it quiet until it became "too late" to find an accommodation.

If it was by design, I cannot imagine the corps knew anything about it, as they just dropped $50-$100 grand on the new cannon and restoration (according to a bit of research; that number could be off, but they spent some real money.)
annie88
AG
In March of 2004, Texas A&M's Parsons' Mounted Cavalry Cannon Crew was invited to the Boothe Ranch near Austin to celebrate Texas Independence Day. The celebration involves the firing of multiple artillery pieces during their ceremony. Several groups are invited to attend. The regular attendees are the reenactors that usually participate with the Battle of San Jacinto reenactment, using two muzzleloading cannons which replicate the "Twin Sisters" that were originally used in the battle against Santa Anna. They also invite PMC's Cannon Crew to attend because they are one of very few universities that have a fully functional artillery piece, and the only one with a functioning WWI era Model 1902 Field Gun. And, not to mention, there are usually quite a few Aggies at this event as well. But since it is so close to Austin, they also invite the Texas Cowboys from t.u. to attend.

never seen this before. ours is the loudest.

and in Cowboy stadium in 2010, too loud for each score once at beginning and once at third, although this didn't sound nearly as loud.

and look at this ring in 1988 in Austin!!

CanyonAg77
AG

quote:
The cannon has been around since 1983 I believe. Losing it would be sad but it wouldn't be a detriment to our football lore.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/88tqH3][/url]

The cannon has been around since before WWII. For those who may be ignorant of history, A&M cadets used to train with actual rifles, horses, artillery pieces, signal corps equipment and even (gasp) machine guns.

Do you recall that when Old Main burned, they let the cadets try to bring down the still-standing brick walls with cannon fire? And can you imagine the cows that would be birthed and the bricks that would passed from the PC crowd if anything similar were to happen today?

This cannon was used by A&M cadets for artillery training, probably between the world wars. How and when it was lost is a mystery. It was found during Bonfire cut 1974. The 1983 date might be the time it was brought into the stadium, but I believe it was used by PMC long before that.

Bottom line, to say it merely "has been around since 1983" overlooks the deep ties it has with the history of Aggieland.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/88tr3w][/url]
trouble
AG
quote:
quote:

If it was by design, I cannot imagine the corps knew anything about it, as they just dropped $50-$100 grand on the new cannon and restoration (according to a bit of research; that number could be off, but they spent some real money.)
You are correct.
wkahornet
AG
SIAP but could they put it on the concourse area by the flagpoles in the SE corner, 3rd deck? Seems like they could point it out of the stadium from there, keep people out of the way? Maybe that's too crowded though?
Btron
AG
quote:
quote:
samsies
Would you stop coming to Kyle Field because we don't have a cannon? That's the point I'm making. Some times its not about traditions it's about $$$. I think who ever the higher ups are who made the decision to hold off on having the cannon in the new kyle field have some monetary intentions. Or let the conspiracy theories fly that administration is trying to get rid of the corps. to make room for new SEC traditions.
2006EE
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
samsies
Would you stop coming to Kyle Field because we don't have a cannon? That's the point I'm making. Some times its not about traditions it's about $$. I think who ever the higher ups are who made the decision to hold off on having the cannon in the new kyle field have some monetary intentions. Or let the conspiracy theories fly that administration is trying to get rid of the corps. to make room for new SEC traditions.
It's not about asking if we would still come to a game. We were told all traditions would be taken care of and accounted for in the stadium. Then they said just outside the stadium. Then they said on the practice field. Now they are saying a pre-recorded video.

If you don't care then don't contact anyone. But don't come on here and tell people not to care.
Btron
AG
I do care. I'm trying to get into the perspective of the decision makers to get some understanding. I think they thought people will come, cannon or not. The aggie spirit is stronger than a cannon.
Fitch
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
samsies
Would you stop coming to Kyle Field because we don't have a cannon? That's the point I'm making. Some times its not about traditions it's about $$. I think who ever the higher ups are who made the decision to hold off on having the cannon in the new kyle field have some monetary intentions. Or let the conspiracy theories fly that administration is trying to get rid of the corps. to make room for new SEC traditions.
I would be less inclined to come to a game if they continue to take away parts of the experience that I remember fondly and thought would always be there. So, yes.

I don't subscribe to conspiracy theories.

This is about being promised something and then it being reneged on by parties who won't go on record. If I can't believe that the parts of the game day that make it different from watching on TV will always be there, what incentive do I have to continue my season tickets? I go to the games because there's more of an experience than watching from my couch, the cannon is a part of that puzzle.
2006EE
AG
quote:
I do care. I'm trying to get into the perspective of the decision makers to get some understanding. I think they thought people will come, cannon or not. The aggie spirit is stronger than a cannon.
Of course we will come. It would take a lot to get an Aggie not to come to a game. But that's not the point.

And I don't think this was money.
Bird Poo
AG
quote:
If they can do a 21 gun salute inside Reed arena then they can fire the cannon in or around Kyle field in such a way that it will be heard. I dont care if they have to reduce the charge or whatever there has to be a way to incorporate it.

This.

If we're worried about loud noises and their effect on the structure, ask the insurance company what they think about EFFING THUNDER.

I've been in some thunderstorms that would put that cannon to shame.
cblaschke
Last weekend while waiting for the game to start, we went and joined our kids in the student section on the south end of the 2nd deck. That was a lot of fun.
But after our first score, there was much grumbling about the lack of having a cannon in the stadium. I couldn't see the screen on the south end because of the new section just south of us. It wasn't until the 3rd score that I realized they were they were showing the cannon being fired on the screen.

I found that completely unacceptable. Either bring the damn thing in the stadium or get rid of it. It completely loses all effect being shown on the screen. The cannon is part of game day. If I wanted to watch it on TV, I'd just stay home and watch the whole show on TV.
Chris
HappyMaroon
AG
Wish we could have used some of our abundant, bronze statue budget to create a nice cannon platform.
Fitch
AG
quote:
Michigan thought the same thing until their attendance dropped and season ticket sales fell because the administrators took the game day environment and morphed it into something new instead of keeping it the way it had traditionally been experienced.

The real reason why students and other are bailing on Michigan football tickets

ESPN article

quote:
As I wrote in "Fourth and Long: The Fight for the Soul of College Football, in 2005, then-athletic director Bill Martin commissioned a survey which revealed more than 50-percent of Michigan season ticket holders had been buying them for more than two decades, but onlynine-percent of them also bought season tickets to any professional team. This tells us a basic truth: Michigan football fans don't just love football. They love Michigan footballthe history, the traditions, the rituals the timeless elements that have grown organically over decades. They are attracted to the belief that Michigan football is based on ideals that go beyond the field, do not fade with time, and are passed down to the next generation the very qualities that separate a game at the Big House from the Super Bowl.

After the 2013 Notre Dame game, Brandon said, "You're a 17-18 year old kid watching the largest crowd in the history of college football with airplanes flying over and Beyonce introducing your halftime show? That's a pretty powerful message about what Michigan is all about, and that's our job to send that message."

Is that really what Michigan is all about? Fly-overs, blaring rock music, and Beyonce? Beyonce is to Michigan football what Bo Schembechler is to well, Beyonce. No, Michigan is all about lifelong fans who've been coming together for decades to leave a bit of the modern world behind and the incessant marketing that comes with it and share an authentic experience fueled by the passion of the team, the band and the students. That's it.

In his speeches, Brandon often mentions he was the CEO of three Fortune 500 companies. Then why doesn't he know his customers, and what they want?

Yes, the department has always followed basic business practices. But it has never been run strictly as a business until now. The proof is the wait list, which former athletic director Don Canham grew by the thousands. Canham was a millionaire businessman in his own right. If he wanted to "maximize revenue," he knew he could increase the price to meet demand. But he didn't, because he believed that would dispel the magic.
stantxag
AG
There was a time it would take a whole army to take away a Texan's cannon. Ask Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna how it worked out for him. He ended up selling Chiclets in New York City. A lot of "rolling over" going on here. Those who want the cannon, post below this line _______________________________
Bird Poo
AG
quote:
Do you recall that when Old Main burned, they let the cadets try to bring down the still-standing brick walls with cannon fire? And can you imagine the cows that would be birthed and the bricks that would passed from the PC crowd if anything similar were to happen today?

LOAD, READY, AIM, FIRE----- BOOM! RELOAD!

You mean this was really about cannons?

/new army bureaucrats

End Of Message
AG
Per TexAgs radio this morning:

Decision to remove cannon was made by an "unknown person".

And, no plans - this year or next - to bring it back.

PUT IT BACK!
Towns03
AG
quote:
quote:
Kyle Ballantyne @ballantexx @TexAgs

@oljock99 we are working on shirts. A link should be up next week

Shirt better have the block aTm!
MW03
AG
Why would they go to the trouble of securing a 105 if the concept was to scrap the canon altogether? Seems to me the order is/was this:

• 02 inside the stadium
  • Close the stadium. Now 02 is too loud, so we move it outside the stadium
  • 02 too quiet outside the stadium so we'll get a 105 and mount it
  • 105 too loud outside the stadium where people are walking around
  • ???

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.