Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Put it back!

147,421 Views | 957 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by S.A. Aggie
VA_Ag94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can we build a platform on the north zone opposite godzillatron and have the cannon facing away? Build into the new north side facade.
Nom de Plume
AG
quote:
I don't think it's malicious intent, rather I believe it is similar in nature to Bonfire coming back on campus. It is seen as easier with less risk to not have to worry about it.

This is correct.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Personally, I don't think the unwashed masses (that would be us) need to be concerned with the technical solution. It can be done. Numerous other schools prove that.

We just need to demand that it BE DONE.
2006EE
AG
quote:
quote:
I don't think it's malicious intent, rather I believe it is similar in nature to Bonfire coming back on campus. It is seen as easier with less risk to not have to worry about it.

This is correct.

No its not.
Nom de Plume
AG
K
Scotty88
AG
Sorry is too long!! I'll weigh in on my first post in the Zoo... I guess some of you would call me an "old", Class of '88.

I have been hauling my boys four hours to one or two games a year for thirteen years. Since the boys were tiny babies, they have always loved the cannon. Last night, they, as well as I, were in disbelief that there was no cannon. Not even the Jumbotron version that I read about at the Lamar game.

Personally I thought the fireworks were a bit over the top and somewhat cheesy...up close the new statues are a bit over the top and somewhat cheesy...I always thought that there were certain things that made us different...Bonfire was one and it is gone (Although I totally support the off campus Bonfire and hope to see that continue and grow.) Now they are jacking with the cannon...

I guess the administrators and athletic department have no comprehension as to the importance of Traditions to the current and former students. Some old Ag with a large amount of stroke (i.e. Tony Buzbee or Clayton Williams) needs to get on the horn and raise some hell.

There is no reason why they can't permanently mount the cannon on a platform on one of the new towers. It shoots blanks, the recoil is minimal. We spend $500 million on a new stadium but we castrate our traditions in the process. Total BS!

sharpdressedman
quote:
Personally, I don't think the unwashed masses (that would be us) need to be concerned with the technical solution. It can be done. Numerous other schools prove that.

We just need to demand that it BE DONE.
I can assure you that we, the unwashed, have influential allies on this issue who won't accept the bs and silent-treatment that Sharp and Torn are hoping will quiet the complaints and demands for both a truthful explanation and a remedy.

In the meantime, the Commandant remains hanging from the flagpole in the quad, twisting in the wind.
coupland boy
AG
That was a good first post Doc C.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Excellent posts Doc C and sharpdressedman. I hope everyone who has influential friends are letting them know this isn't acceptable.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I think Clayton Williams could be a great ally. He loves the Cav.

I have written Buzbee and haven't heard anything back. Not even a "hey, thanks for the concern". Pretty disappointed about that.
WH99P!
AG
quote:
So the students aka "Put it Back" whom are corps / PMC members are / will be asked to stand down on the cannon issue from administration via Commandant 79. Or at least that is the implied message that you got this weekend. I get that ~ silence who you can while the issue is being debated.

or am I wrong in this interpretation...

Just to clarify for everyone...PMC was told to stand down from this issue more than a week ago. Last week they were told they risked being kicked out of the Cav if they were affiliated with PUT IT BACK. Because of this, no PMC member or sponsor has anything to do with the campaign. While I'm sure they all believe in the cause, PUT IT BACK is not run by PMC.

And Fitch, don't hold your breath on it dying out anytime soon. A lot of people have their own personal reasons tired into this issue, and that sort of connection to a tradition doesn't just fizzle out.
Fitch
AG
I have every hope that it won't.
CCAgDad
sharpdressedman
quote:
quote:
So the students aka "Put it Back" whom are corps / PMC members are / will be asked to stand down on the cannon issue from administration via Commandant 79. Or at least that is the implied message that you got this weekend. I get that ~ silence who you can while the issue is being debated.

or am I wrong in this interpretation...

Just to clarify for everyone...PMC was told to stand down from this issue more than a week ago. Last week they were told they risked being kicked out of the Cav if they were affiliated with PUT IT BACK. Because of this, no PMC member or sponsor has anything to do with the campaign. While I'm sure they all believe in the cause, PUT IT BACK is not run by PMC.

And Fitch, don't hold your breath on it dying out anytime soon. A lot of people have their own personal reasons tired into this issue, and that sort of connection to a tradition doesn't just fizzle out.
Regarding the PMC being muzzled, along with the Commandant...OK, SOBs, IT'S ON!
Jackass2004
AG
As with all killed traditions, they just simply delay it for a couple of years and nobody cares anymore. Attention spans are minimal.
vander54
S
We can do this! Keep up the pressure
Ol Jock 99
AG
regio
Maybe someone saved the cannon firing video clip and that can be played over and over again after the touchdown.

I think the 12th Man should yell "BOOM" after TD. make Kyle Field erupt with every one yelling "BOOM" repeatedly.

Or just put the cannon back. Maybe fire it into a steel box to make it louder AND protect everyone from the danger stuff that comes with firing a cannon.

Thing has wheels and calvary has horses...wheel that baby to the 50 yd line and fire South...South end zone is use to booms they are in the middle of the opening fireworks show.

Otherwise calvary will need to get some flags on sticks that spell out AGGIES and run around the endzone after touchdowns.
Three Seasons
AG
Look at all the Aggies in the above picture wearing yellow / gold shirts to support the cannon!

That could be you on October 11th.
Three Seasons
AG
Put it back...on top...
Ol Jock 99
AG
Does Old Dominion have a big ass cannon? Yes, they do.

VanZandt92
quote:
Does Old Dominion have a big ass cannon? Yes, they do.

I used to live right by there. Small time school.
VanZandt92
quote:
As with all killed traditions, they just simply delay it for a couple of years and nobody cares anymore. Attention spans are minimal.

Disagree
Towns03
AG
quote:

maybe PMC needs to stand up for the cause and not just stand by while others fight?
2006EE
AG
quote:
quote:

maybe PMC needs to stand up for the cause and not just stand by while others fight?
They could lose scholarships or get kicked out of the corps.

We can fight this for them.
Maroon Flash
AG
Your traditions are what keeps the program going during lean years. It is something you identify with.

If I ever hear Hyman say A&M will always be unique, I will puke!

I am only a regular season ticket holder but doing away with the cannon is a line we should not allow to be crossed. Even willing to forget about the hideous statues but the cannon goes back where it belongs.

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

This is just further proof to me that they are trying to get rid of it completely. And I can totally see Ramirez threatening to kick out these guys for sticking up for this, the guy is an asshat.
2006EE
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

This is just further proof to me that they are trying to get rid of it completely. And I can totally see Ramirez threatening to kick out these guys for sticking up for this, the guy is an asshat.
It's not GenRam and he's not an asshat.

But I can see why if they are told to be quite, I should respect them following orders.

The rest of us are more than capable of fighting this for them.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
As someone who has seen how he treats his superiors vs his subordinates, I respectfully disagree. He is an asshat.
trouble
AG
quote:
As someone who has seen how he treats his superiors vs his subordinates, I respectfully disagree. He is an asshat.

And I disagree with you.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I know little about Gen Ram other than he's grown the Corps and really loves his BDUs. But he's an ally on this issue.
Ol Jock 99
AG

West Point
JonLobb
quote:

West Point
West Point also has a battery of 3 cannons outside the stadium, which is A+ badass

Fitch
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Its not coming from him.

You may have your own views on the man, but he's in a tight spot over this issue as well.
Saint Arnold
AG
Set at SW corner tunnel.

Lower the charge level appropriately & aim at higher upward angle. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it would have to be a full charge. Lesser ammo, smaller boom, right?

Surround the backside (fanside) with a soundproof/shock absorbing canopy.

Problem solved.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.