Houston
Sponsored by

Western Boots

81,362 Views | 355 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ag_07
RK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
i don't think those are bellly; little of the horn ridge going into the toe...which i think is a pretty sharp look.
David_Puddy
AG
Hou - here is what hornbacks look like

RK
AG
thinking about getting this young lady turned into a pair of homemades but waiting for the one i got this year to get back to see which i like better

David_Puddy
AG
quote:
Puddy those bellies look awesome....the hornbacks are calling your name though! Hopefully they're still there when you come to your senses and realize how much more loving your lady friend(s) gives you with your new boots!

They are for sure homey. One of my buddies saw mine yesterday and wants me to take him over there next week. He's got a couple pair of ostrich and some lizards and said he's been wanting some hornbacks. You down to meet me again?

[This message has been edited by David_Puddy (edited 3/2/2012 9:25a).]
UH_AG_1979
Puddy those are Tail... hornback is the head portion.. I think you may have gotten confused.. here is a random pic of hornback

RK
AG
it's moreso the middle of the back...you aren't getting much of any leather off the heads of thost things.
UH_AG_1979
RK is correct.. The tip is the last part of the head followed by the back itself..
David_Puddy
AG
My bad UH....stupid google.
yeahtoast
AG
Ah, then it was the dark brown hornbacks in 12 that were beautiful, just couldn't do it.
Red Five
AG
I pretty much trust RK implicitly when it comes to anything related to swamp ecology.
heisatouchdown
AG
That random pic is pretty sexy uh, let me know when yall have that in your uncle's store :P
RK
AG
UH, i think you're right about those being tail; i was just referring to more typical "hornback" hide coming from the neck to mid-back area. those do look like the end of the tail of a small critter [not a lot of girth so they stitched it over another piece of leather].

[This message has been edited by RK (edited 3/2/2012 10:50a).]
David_Puddy
AG
UH - those are the hornbacks that your uncle carries isn't it?

Those and those chocolate brown pair he has are nice.
KT_Ag08
AG
The tails look nice.

Looks like I am going to have to pick up a pair of the ostrich. I would almost consider paying what you paid for 2 pair for one nice paid of the ostrich. Those are nice especially for the price.
UH_AG_1979
Puddy

this was a random pic on the internet.. he has nicer ones than this in the shop and yes... the illustrious chocolate brown...

how's the money boot? sick huh?
megs
I'm pretty excited about my post lasting this long.
KT_Ag08
AG
quote:
I'm pretty excited about my post lasting this long.

I have said this to myself once or twice before.
Red Five
AG
I have never once worn or desired to wear any kind of exotic boot. I am having to rethink that decision thanks to this thread.
Cromagnum
AG
Same for me. I haven't worn any boots in years (save for my corps boots), and I've never had a pair of exotic ones. I'm torn between gator and lizard. I'd have to see the same color for both to really compare, but would defnitely like black or a very dark brown. Comfort/durability is a huge factor as well of course. How do these kinds feel and hold up?

[This message has been edited by Cromagnum (edited 3/2/2012 3:20p).]
strohag
AG
FYI my lizard boots pictured a few pages back are much darker brown than they appear in the pic.
RealtorMadison
Cromagnum-

If you want comfort and last there is nothing that compares to Ostrich...hands down the most comfortable skins ever.

I'm wearing my lizzards now and for the most part feel the same as the gators.
Cromagnum
AG
I'd heard that about ostrich, but I don't really care for how they look compared to other options.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Interesting and entertaining thread. I'm somewhat of a boot collector and I enjoyed reading what folks wanted and such.

Today's pair

Nocona hornback crocodile body cut. $200 brand new in one of their stores last year in El Paso. You want boots, that's the plae for boots! Roper style, shorter shafts, low heel.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
For those wanting lizard, understand that it is becoming commonplace for the coloration of the skins to darken unevenly over the years. I've stopped buying lizard because of this, or choose black. I stay away from lighter colored lizard.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
For those talking about the gator boots, here are some popular skin cuts:

*) Head cut - has the parallel tall "bumbs" on the toe. The number reveals the species of animal (alligator or crocodile or caimen).

*) Body cut - has rows of smaller parallel bumps. That's what I pictured above. These look very nice in black cherry.

*) Tail cut - has the two rows of fins coming together at the toe. Typically the skins are not very wide and two have to be pieced on the vamp.

*) Belly cut - the smoother plates, typically the most expensive cut in alligator. Very elegant. Croc belly is a little different
RealtorMadison
Can you go into detail with how many bumps is what type? Great info...thanks!
I'm a big fan of Nacona ...although at this point not really sure how much the non handmade boots differ from manufacturer
LSRR
S
quote:
Sea turtle boots or go home.

This.

Marooned_n_Aggieland
Here's a quick guide I found - easier than writing this up myself.

http://vintageskins.com/news.htm
http://vintageskins.com/skin%20types.htm

Alligator

Caimen - most caimen skins don't look this good

Crocodile

The alligator and croc skins are similar with the caimen being a cheaper version. You mostly see caimen sold since the price is lower. Caimen skins are often pitted and just not that overly attractive IMHO.

--- Edit to add 2nd URL

[This message has been edited by Marooned_n_Aggieland (edited 3/2/2012 11:17p).]
UH_AG_1979
Soooo much energy!
aggs03
Thanks UHAG
RealtorMadison
Wow didn't know they had square toe
redag06
quote:
I have never once worn or desired to wear any kind of exotic boot. I am having to rethink that decision thanks to this thread.

This!!
Don't know how I missed this thread, but I really like some of these boots, I just want my next boots to be square toes.
BBRex
AG
I have this thread bookmarked and will probably look it up again in August. A pair will probably be my birthday present to me.
aeroag07
AG
Bought a gorgeous pair of brown lizard boots from safari today for a ridiculous price. Thanks for the tip UHAG!
aeroag07
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.