Outdoors
Sponsored by

And the wait begins

39,826 Views | 251 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by dodger02
gumby579
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
What is batch approved?
Some of the inspectors will look to see if you have any other form 1s in the system and if so approve them at the same time. It seems to be hit or miss and dependent on the inspector.
FiTxAg04
AG
Thanks for the explanation. Does this apply to Form 4s as well? I submitted a couple of them just a few weeks apart.
gumby579
AG
quote:
Thanks for the explanation. Does this apply to Form 4s as well? I submitted a couple of them just a few weeks apart.
From what I have gathered no, it only applies to form 1s and even so it is sort of randomly applied.
Aggietaco
AG
quote:
Got approval for SBR filed on 2/10 today. Unfortunately my one I sent in on Friday didn't get batch approved.
C'mon 2/13 submission!
tx4guns
AG
Finally got to shoot my 300 BLK SBR today with the Crux Ark30. Held MOA zeroed at 100 yards, and shot a ragged hole 2.5" high at 50 yards with Hornady and Remington subsonics. Hopefully the pigs cooperate in the morning. I'm really impressed with this Noveske barrel.

maverick2076
Just got my first tax stamp approved for the Form 1 on my 9mm SBR. I eFiled on 2/16/16. Hopefully the Form 1 for the suppressor isn't far behind, since I filed for it on 2/18/16.
nealan
how do you check the progress of these things? I have 4 things in queue right now, 3 suppressors and one SBR. Do i just wait to hear from them? This is my first go-round with NFA stuff. First paperwork went in sometime mid April
cledus6150
AG
I'm still waiting on my suppressor it went pending on 2/11/16.
nealan
Maybe Santa will bring mine then...
Naveronski
AG
quote:
Maybe Santa will bring mine then...
I'd be guessing mid-late October.
maverick2076
quote:
how do you check the progress of these things? I have 4 things in queue right now, 3 suppressors and one SBR. Do i just wait to hear from them? This is my first go-round with NFA stuff. First paperwork went in sometime mid April

I efiled, so I got an email that it was done. I could go online, but all it said was in progress until today, when it changed to approved.
Burt Macklin, FBI
AG
quote:

Cledus, how did you find that out? I had a check clear on 2/9 for a suppressor, but haven't seen anything. Also had another one clear on 3/1. Hopefully getting close.
txyaloo
AG
quote:
quote:

Cledus, how did you find that out? I had a check clear on 2/9 for a suppressor, but haven't seen anything. Also had another one clear on 3/1. Hopefully getting close.
Call NFA branch, provide the operator your serial number, and they'll tell you when it went pending.
cledus6150
AG
I went to NFA tracker and got the number to call, then I called with my SN and trust name.
Burt Macklin, FBI
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Call NFA branch, provide the operator your serial number, and they'll tell you when it went pending.

Thanks, yaloo. Not sure how long it takes to get the stamp back, but I called the NFA this morning and they said it was approved 7/7. Sent an email to the place I bought it from and they said they haven't seen the paperwork yet.
Aggietaco
AG
I'll post up some images when I get a chance, but I forgot to share that 2 stamps came back recently.

F4 for a Rugged Obsidian 45 and a F1 for an MP5k. The F1 was odd in that I received an e-mail recently saying it was now submitted/in process. Thinking it was just a system issue, I waited a few days, logged on when eforms was up and saw that it was noted as approved. Called the NFA branch, inquired, left a message with the examiner and several days later (without a return call), I received an e-mail with notice of approval and the attached electronic paperwork.

Now I just need a host for the Obsidian and a sear for the MP5k.
Aggietaco
AG
And for a time frame:

F1 submitted 2/13, false submission notice (approval) 7/22, actual approval 8/1
F4 mailed 1/9, stamped 7/8, stamp received 7/20
txyaloo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thanks, yaloo. Not sure how long it takes to get the stamp back, but I called the NFA this morning and they said it was approved 7/7. Sent an email to the place I bought it from and they said they haven't seen the paperwork yet.
Wow.... Back in the "old days" 3-4 weeks delays between approval and receiving the stamp was common. Not so much now.

You might call back and ask to speak to your examiner to find out what the delay is. USPS doesn't take that long. If the operators won't pass you on to your examiner, ask to speak with Ted Clutter. Ted is the NFA section chief. Alternatively, you can email him at ted.clutter@atf.gov. He'll need your trust name and item serial number. Honestly your dealer should be making these calls, but often, lazy dealers won't follow up on it with BATFE.
Burt Macklin, FBI
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Wow.... Back in the "old days" 3-4 weeks delays between approval and receiving the stamp was common. Not so much now.

You might call back and ask to speak to your examiner to find out what the delay is. USPS doesn't take that long. If the operators won't pass you on to your examiner, ask to speak with Ted Clutter. Ted is the NFA section chief. Alternatively, you can email him at ted.clutter@atf.gov. He'll need your trust name and item serial number. Honestly your dealer should be making these calls, but often, lazy dealers won't follow up on it with BATFE.

I just called back to confirm that I wrote down the correct approval date. She confirmed that it was approved on 7/7 and said that I should give it up to another week. I asked her if 3-4 weeks was now common to receive stamps back and she said it was. Then told me after a month from approval, you can submit a copy request if they have not received it by then. And I'm assuming another 3-4 weeks to get the copy. Who knows when I'll get it in.
txyaloo
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I just called back to confirm that I wrote down the correct approval date. She confirmed that it was approved on 7/7 and said that I should give it up to another week. I asked her if 3-4 weeks was now common to receive stamps back and she said it was. Then told me after a month from approval, you can submit a copy request if they have not received it by then. And I'm assuming another 3-4 weeks to get the copy. Who knows when I'll get it in.
What sucks is you don't actually get a stamp when they send you a copy. They send you a certified version of their copy.

I'd still fire off an email to Ted. It may very well be sitting on your examiner's desk. Lots of us had problems ~10 years ago when Shipman was still around shredding forms when he got backed up and letting approved forms sit in his outbox for weeks. The section chief can get it straightened out.

The operators don't really know how long it takes for forms to be delivered. They only know what's in their computer systems. They aren't involved in the delivery process.
Burt Macklin, FBI
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

What sucks is you don't actually get a stamp when they send you a copy. They send you a certified version of their copy.

I'd still fire off an email to Ted. It may very well be sitting on your examiner's desk. Lots of us had problems ~10 years ago when Shipman was still around shredding forms when he got backed up and letting approved forms sit in his outbox for weeks. The section chief can get it straightened out.

The operators don't really know how long it takes for forms to be delivered. They only know what's in their computer systems. They aren't involved in the delivery process.

Just sent him an email. Thanks again.
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
Earlier this year, mi e took 5 weeks from approval to delivery, and they mailed it to me instead of the dealer. Everything about the process was an asswhip.
Burt Macklin, FBI
AG
quote:
Earlier this year, mi e took 5 weeks from approval to delivery, and they mailed it to me instead of the dealer. Everything about the process was an asswhip.

I thought about that too. I've been out of town for the last week and a half, so I haven't even had a chance to check mail yet. Gonna take a look this evening. I even asked the lady about that and she assured me it would have been sent to the dealer and not me. But, you know, government.

Hopefully yaloo's contact can get me some info.
35chililights
AG
It's going to be a while boys. The number of submissions increased at least two fold. Those poor *******s in July will be lucky to get their stuff out of jail within 24 months.

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2767681
Burt Macklin, FBI
AG
Update on status of my Form 4: I sent an email to Ted the other day per your advice, but I still have yet to hear back from him. I called up there again this morning and spoke with my examiner. She said they have been holding Form 4's for at least a week before they go out (I didn't get into why they are doing that), and she also said that she has been out of town on vacation so that may have delayed it too (not sure what vacation would have to do with it).

Anyway, she told me to give it another week and call her back if I don't have it.
dodger02
AG
Good gosh.

Just got off the phone with NFA. My February 12th suppressor is still pending.
Burt Macklin, FBI
AG
That sucks. I was hoping since my 2/9 suppressor was approved over a month ago, that my 3/1 suppressor would be approved any time now. Guess that's not the case.
35chililights
AG
Still waiting on Feb 3rd, bro. Get in line.
txyaloo
AG
quote:
Update on status of my Form 4: I sent an email to Ted the other day per your advice, but I still have yet to hear back from him. I called up there again this morning and spoke with my examiner. She said they have been holding Form 4's for at least a week before they go out (I didn't get into why they are doing that), and she also said that she has been out of town on vacation so that may have delayed it too (not sure what vacation would have to do with it).

Anyway, she told me to give it another week and call her back if I don't have it.
Have you heard back from Ted?
Burt Macklin, FBI
AG
I have not. Should I try again?
cledus6150
AG
Just got off the phone with ATF My suppressor was approved on the 10th one day shy of six months.
35chililights
AG
So did your shop just not call you? Or is this a different type scenario? Sorry if I missed that earlier.
cledus6150
AG
The shop hasn't received the stamp yet so they haven't called. I was just updating the thread for those wondering how much longer they have to wait.
Burt Macklin, FBI
AG
Update on mine:

Check cashed 2/9
Approved 7/7
Stamp received 8/10

Headed to pick it up right meow.
35chililights
AG
A month to get the stamp in after approval?!!?!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.