Outdoors
Sponsored by

And the wait begins

39,759 Views | 251 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by dodger02
dodger02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
After several calls to the NFA branch, I finally spoke to a gentleman named Kevin Ashton who was nice enough to help me get a copy of my stamp.

Well, an envelope arrived today from the NFA. I'm now in possession of a certified copy of my approved form 4...with no stamp.

Any idea what I do now? The transferor in possession of my suppressor still says he hasn't received anything from the ATF.

I'm at a point that I don't know what to do.
txyaloo
AG
dodger02 said:

After several calls to the NFA branch, I finally spoke to a gentleman named Kevin Ashton who was nice enough to help me get a copy of my stamp.

Well, an envelope arrived today from the NFA. I'm now in possession of a certified copy of my approved form 4...with no stamp.

Any idea what I do now? The transferor in possession of my suppressor still says he hasn't received anything from the ATF.

I'm at a point that I don't know what to do.
You won't ever get a stamp. You send 2 copies of your application. BATFE approves one and mails it with the stamp. They approve the 2nd copy and put it in a "file". There's only one stamp and that's the one that goes out initially in the mail.

Have you visited the FFL in person? If they won't contact their examiner for more details, you really need to keep calling the NFA Branch requesting to speak with Ted Clutter. You may also have to lawyer up since this is a civil issue and the police/ATF won't get involved.

Edit: BATFE can and will fax or email a copy of the form to the FFL. This is where Ted or your examiner come in. Ted will likely have to get involved to do this. Your FFL needs to request it from their examiner. While you have an approved form, the FFL can cancel the transfer at any time since it hasn't gone through yet. You unfortunately need to tread somewhat lightly. If they cancel the transfer, the $200 transfer fee comes back to them, not you.
dodger02
AG
This sounds terrible.

I bought from Silencer Shop. They had my item shipped to a local FFL near my hometown. I haven't visited the FFL in person. I'll call him tomorrow now that I have a copy of the approved Form 4. I'll also pay him a visit on Wednesday afternoon.

What happens if the guy honestly has my suppressor sitting in his store but simply never received the stamp and it's lost somewhere in USPS purgatory?

ETA: I have this fear that I'll show up on Wednesday and the FFL won't have my suppressor. I hope I don't have to ask "what now" on Wednesday.
230Ag
AG
which company did you use for your FFL?
dodger02
AG
B Line Sales
txyaloo
AG
dodger02 said:

This sounds terrible.

I bought from Silencer Shop. They had my item shipped to a local FFL near my hometown. I haven't visited the FFL in person. I'll call him tomorrow now that I have a copy of the approved Form 4. I'll also pay him a visit on Wednesday afternoon.

What happens if the guy honestly has my suppressor sitting in his store but simply never received the stamp and it's lost somewhere in USPS purgatory?

ETA: I have this fear that I'll show up on Wednesday and the FFL won't have my suppressor. I hope I don't have to ask "what now" on Wednesday.
FFL needs to get off his ass and call BATFE. This would have all been cleared up weeks ago if he had done that. I think going in person will help. Don't expect him to just hand you the suppressor with the certified copy you received. I would also contact Silencer Shop since it sounds like this guy is in their "network".

Are you having to pay him a transfer fee since you bought from Silencer Shop?
dodger02
AG
I'm not aware of a transfer fee. So I'd say "no".

Each time I've called him, he says that he's attempted to call BATFE "but the phone just rings and rings". I think he's FOS and lazy. Let's see what happens when I call tomorrow and pay him a visit on Wednesday.
dodger02
AG
Called the FFL this morning and was told my stamp arrived late last week with a bunch of others. (Yeah, right.) I picked up my can this evening and plan to break it in over the holiday.

Thanks, txyaloo and the others who provided advice.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.