Outdoors
Sponsored by

Gunfight at the Twin Peaks [Staff Warning on page 47]

318,093 Views | 1928 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by rather be fishing
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
What's my blanket judgement?
Probably this.

maverick2076
http://www.wacotrib.com/news/courts_and_trials/three-more-bikers-released-after-bond-reduction-agreements-with-da/article_efbb7d1f-4c4f-5385-a1ee-3911bea15df5.html?mode=jqm
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
glad the vise grip guys are out.

http://www.visegripaustin.com/
Pretty sure that is just an undercover gang. Antique Harleys are probably part of their cover for drug smuggling. The Police Affidavit said everyone had gang symbols on and continuously engage in criminal activity.
Swarely
I'm willing to bet you'll see a lot of this trickle releasing. They are just trying to save face now. Part of me kind of wishes they wouldn't so they would get more egg on their face. If I was a McLennan county taxpayer I would be raising hell about the tab they are running up keeping these guys in lock up.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
I'm willing to bet you'll see a lot of this trickle releasing. They are just trying to save face now. Part of me kind of wishes they wouldn't so they would get more egg on their face. If I was a McLennan county taxpayer I would be raising hell about the tab they are running up keeping these guys in lock up.
$300k/month just to keep them locked up. That doesn't include the public defender bills, the court costs, etc.
Post removed:
by user
TexasAggie_02
AG
I saw a guy at Jason's deli today with a Harley shirt on. Obviously he should've been arrested on the spot.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
I saw a guy at Jason's deli today with a Harley shirt on. Obviously he should've been arrested on the spot.
At least two guys wearing Harley shirts with no leather jackets/vests were arrested at Don Carlos, across the parking lot from Twin Peaks. This guy was probably just as guilty. Let's **** up his life! Because if we don't, what if he is a raging murderer and goes and kills a ton of people?!
agsalaska
AG
NOthing wrong with Steve Botts post. He was exactly right.
maverick2076
quote:

You probably should have shot him as he was leaving...just to be sure.
Yuccadoo
Some great pictures of Antipodean bikers. They certainly have the look of badass down.

http://www.vice.com/en_au/read/portraits-of-new-zealands-mighty-mongrel-mob

And this:

maverick2076
From the first paragraph of the article:

quote:
In the 1960s a gang of variously disaffected youth sprang up in Hawkes Bay, New Zealand. They didn't ride bikes, but they quickly developed all the trimmings of an outlaw motorcycle club: patches, club colours, and a fiercely violent process of initiation.
DriftwoodAg
AG
Local man suing for release from jail
ItsA&InotA&M
quote:
I hope he prevails. Interestingly, his attorney will not reveal what "club" he is associated with, citing attorney/client privilege.

Any guesses at to which "club" he belongs? Certainly, the power of TxAgs' mojo can find out.
maverick2076
Lawyers are starting to aggressively go on the offensive in the media.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1654308138132443&id=1650968805133043

quote:
INNOCENT BYSTANDERS ARBITRARILY CHARGED AND HELD ON MILLION DOLLAR BONDS FOLLOWING WACO SHOOTOUT

By Roxanne Avery
May 29, 2015
For Immediate Release
Waco, TX - In what may be among the greatest abuses of police authority inflicted upon American citizens in modern times, innocent people continue to be held in the Jack Harwell Detention Center in Waco, Texas on charges of engaging in organized crime in the aftermath of the deadly shoot-out with police at the Twin Peaks restaurant on May 17. Few of the 175 people arrested have posted the $1 million bonds set by Justice of the Peace Pete Peterson. Most of those arrested have no prior criminal history and were innocent bystanders.
"My client William English, a decorated Iraq war veteran, has been informed by authorities that he is being charged with engaging in organized criminal activity. This charge completely astonishes me because he was never close enough to anybody to commit a crime," stated Paul Looney, Houston criminal defense attorney with Looney & Conrad, P.C.. "He wasn't even close enough to see what happened, and yet he sits in jail with a million dollar bond with his reputation besmirched by the media without having been brought swiftly to a courthouse where these issues can be addressed and a reasonable bond obtained. Yesterday, his writ hearing was scheduled for June 26, which means he will be sitting in jail for at least six weeks for being in the parking lot, unarmed, when shots were fired on the side of the restaurant. The Court Coordinators are using the high volume of cases as an excuse for these hearings being set at such a later date. The high volume of cases is exactly the reason we need additional judges assigned to this county by the regional presiding judge. This is a sickening conspiracy against Americans conducted with the complicity of law enforcement, prosecutors and justices of the peace. Sadly it appears Waco and McLennan County have learned very little about the lawful treatment of American citizens in the 22 years since the Branch Davidian debacle."
William English, 34, an honorably discharged Infantry veteran of the United States Marines served two tours of duty including Iraq. For the last nine years, he worked at Valmont in Brenham where he was among 160 fellow employees recently laid off when their division was shut down company-wide. Last week his severance pay was terminated because he hasn't been able to check in since his arrest. William and his wife Morgan, a teller at Chase Bank in Brenham, ride motorcycles with a group of friends who regularly get together to host fundraising events for local charities. William and Morgan arrived at Twin Peaks on Sunday, May 17 anticipating a fun day with fellow motorcycle riders. However, before reaching the front door to the restaurant, they heard commotion on the side patio and walked over to see what was going on. But before they could see anything, gunfire broke out.
"I heard two pops that sounded like small caliber gunfire," William recalled. "Following that, I heard several bursts of assault weapon shots. I recognized the sound because I carried one of those weapons for six years as a marine. That's all the gunfire I heard. Then the police started screaming 'Get down!'"
William and Morgan found themselves arrested a short time later with zip tie handcuffs around their wrists for 12 hours. "He has no business getting dragged into this," Looney says.
"Due process requires that every individual arrested be individually considered when bond is set. Their assets, the strength of the evidence, their criminal history or lack thereof, their ties to the community, and the likely threat they pose all have to be weighed to determine what a fair, just and reasonable bond may be," said Clay S. Conrad, Looney's law partner. "When, as in these over 170 cases, everyone is given the same identical and unattainable million dollar bond, due process is jettisoned in order to 'send a message.' I'm not sure what that message is, unless it is that the U.S. and Texas Constitutions do not apply in McLennan County, Texas."
For More Information, Contact:
Roxanne Avery
Media Relations, Looney & Conrad, P.C.
(405) 388-6191
Roxanne@LooneyConrad.com

Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:
I hope he prevails. Interestingly, his attorney will not reveal what "club" he is associated with, citing attorney/client privilege.

Any guesses at to which "club" he belongs? Certainly, the power of TxAgs' mojo can find out.
Jimmy Lee Pond? James Pond? Sounds like he belongs to the MI6.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
So far, no McLennan County judge has opted to hear any requests for a reduction in bail, court documents showed.
TexasAggie_02
AG
boom! i hope they bankrupt the county for this. absolutely sickening.
Post removed:
by user
Scruffy
AG
Probably get hearing the facts and preparing a case before leaping in.

Something the PD and DA didn't do.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I don't really have a problem with the PD initial reaction. The actually charging of everyone initially held is where I have issue which isn't the PD.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
I don't really have a problem with the PD initial reaction. The actually charging of everyone initially held is where I have issue which isn't the PD.
I see nothing wrong with charging people with a capital offense without any evidence specific to them, Comrade.

Breggy Popup
AG
quote:

Who do you think charged them?
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:

Waco PD had the option of arresting everyone, holding them up to 72 hours with no charges while they gathered evidence then filing charges on the people they had probable cause to charge and letting everyone else walk. Instead, they chose to file a non-specific probable cause statement that was applied equally to people wearing no motorcycle club clothes and eating peacefully in a completely separate restaurant as well as people the police physically saw shoot and stab other people.
Post removed:
by user
Breggy Popup
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

And who signed the affidavits? Who failed to identify shooters? Who failed to identify the members of bandits and cossacks?

The prosecutors certainly are primarily responsible but the Waco police is not innocent either.

Yep. The decision to book all of them is on Waco PD. The DA cannot order law enforcement to take people into custody. They can simply advise if asked.
Kenneth_2003
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Waco PD had the option of arresting everyone, holding them up to 72 hours with no charges while they gathered evidence then filing charges on the people they had probable cause to charge and letting everyone else walk. Instead, they chose to file a non-specific probable cause statement that was applied equally to people wearing no motorcycle club clothes and eating peacefully in a completely separate restaurant as well as people the police physically saw shoot and stab other people.

Technically they wouldn't be arrested, just held. They would be arrested when they're charged wouldn't they?

Also, you've got a judge who was a cop for 33 years. Probably thinks more like a cop than a judge and is probably too quick to side with the cops. A good judge should have told the cops to finish their homework before turning it in.
maverick2076
http://www.kvue.com/story/news/state/2015/05/29/biker-arrested-in-waco-shooting-files-federal-lawsuit/28152685/
Guitarsoup
AG

And we have our first federal civil rights violation lawsuit. From Mav's article:

quote:
It states he was arrested "without probable cause and his motorcycle was illegally seized."

His lawsuit names the city of Waco and the McLennen County sheriff's as well as individual officers working the Twin Peaks case.

"It was the policy of the City of Waco ... to cause the arrest and detention of numerous individuals ... regardless of whether or not there was individualized probable cause to arrest and detain a particular individual and to do so based on "fill in the name" complaints without individualized facts," the lawsuit states.

It makes no specified claim of damages, but says Clendennen's constitutional rights were violated.
Breggy Popup
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Technically they wouldn't be arrested, just held. They would be arrested when they're charged wouldn't they?

Also, you've got a judge who was a cop for 33 years. Probably thinks more like a cop than a judge and is probably too quick to side with the cops. A good judge should have told the cops to finish their homework before turning it in.
Anything beyond a brief and cursory detention in which a reasonable individual does not feel free to leave is an arrest, especially if one is actually taken into custody.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Thanks for the clarification.

I still feel that JP is too much Cop and too little Judge.
Guitarsoup
AG
Placed in custody, arrest, detained, whatever. We all mean the same thing. Lock them up for up to 72 hours before charges are filed, as the Supreme Court said is legal without violating civil rights.

Instead, they filed flimsy probable cause and arresting without probable cause is a civil rights violation of the 4th Amendment and redress can be sought through a false arrest/malicious prosecution lawsuit.

And many of these man and women may have separate civil rights violations by the City of Waco/Waco PD and the Justice of the Peace who may be found to have violated the 8th Amendment restriction on unreasonable bail. And he certainly didn't help himself out by saying he set the bail that high to send a message, when that is illegal. Bail cannot be set to send a message.
Guitarsoup
AG
http://www.wacotrib.com/news/courts_and_trials/three-more-bikers-released-on-reduced-bonds/article_2c8e413b-3485-5a78-af68-c20841b8f5b5.html

The Professional Engineer [and two other guys] from Austin bonded out of jail for the second time after a non-McLennan county judge reduced his bail.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.