**** Official Sim City Thread ****

46,492 Views | 920 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by wasabi1787
wee_ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
Battlefield 3
Bejeweled 3
Dead Space 3
Mass Effect 3
MOHW
NFS Most Wanted
Plants vs. Zombies
SC4 Deluxe Edition

Is EA really that dense?
Madmarttigan
AG
That is a **** list rofl...
dietcola84
quote:
quote:
Battlefield 3
Bejeweled 3
Dead Space 3
Mass Effect 3
MOHW
NFS Most Wanted
Plants vs. Zombies
SC4 Deluxe Edition

Is EA really that dense?

Hey EA,

At least buy me dinner before you f-ck me.
fta09
AG
EA CEO resigns.
smithag11
AG
^Was about 90% sure of rickroll
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Battlefield 3 - Without the DLC, this blows, plus isn't it already out the door with server support?
Bejeweled 3 Really EA? Bite me
Dead Space 3 Never played it, any good?
Mass Effect 3 After hearing about how bad the ending was I didn't bother trying to pick it up
MOHW Terrible reviews, didn't bother
NFS Most Wanted Racing on a PC...no thanks
Plants vs. Zombies See Bejeweled
SC4 Deluxe Edition See Bejeweled

It seems like the only thing that might be worth it is Dead Space 3, but I never played the first two.
CDub06
AG
Bejeweled!??! SCORE!!
Sandman23
AG
quote:
It seems like the only thing that might be worth it is Dead Space 3, but I never played the first two.

Wee you might be in luck then, because 3 took what was great about 1 and 2 (actual horror, survival game) and threw it out the window (now just an actiony third person-shooter with co-op)
jeffk
AG
That list.
Madmarttigan
AG
**** couldn't I get the original dragon age to play through again or something?? I would take a billion old games instead of that list...
Jacques
After finally getting a chance to play around with this some last night: I hate this game.

Some of my cities in SimCity4 are works of art. This is just a completely different game.
Jacques
The server issues are really just the least of things. The cities are just too damn small. One of the things I enjoyed most was scanning across a really impressive skyline with city beyond. Trains running, industry, slums, etc.

That's just not possible here.

All you're building here is a town, and a small one at that, or a totally unrealistic skyscraper forest.
Madmarttigan
AG
Im actually tempted to use my purchase to get simcity 4 because I've never played it. It has to be better than this trash. Not like I care about graphics or anything when I run the new sim city on low.
OldArmy07
AG
Anyone know if sc4 that they are giving us will work on a mac?
The Collective
AG
quote:
Bejeweled!??! SCORE!!

Bejeweled3.... WTF are there three?
Ulrich
quote:
Im actually tempted to use my purchase to get simcity 4 because I've never played it. It has to be better than this trash. Not like I care about graphics or anything when I run the new sim city on low.

I've heard that it's pretty good as long as you also pick up a couple of the mods that fix the traffic.
wee_ag
AG
I've found the SC4 controls to be difficult to use on the mac version. Got so annoying that I haven't played it much.
GetThoseKeysMilo
The traffic on SimCity4 Rush Hour is waaaaaaaaay better than the new game. It isn't perfect but simizens will at least use the bigger roads when available.
Jacques
I've played SimCity since the very first version all the way back when. They never get the traffic right. People will drive more than 5 blocks to get to work. But not in Simcity.

It seems like this game alternates good and bad. The first version was fun, but limited. Then Simcity 2000 was a blast. Then Simcity3 was a disappointment. Then 4 got it right it again. Now 2013 is another disappointment.
CDub06
AG
The thing that bothers me about map size is that they provide tools that would be useful in a large, sprawling city but who is plopping a park & ride in their small towns??
JJxvi
AG
It appears to me (through glitches and the way the terrain terraforms at the edges of the map) that the city border is pretty artificial. They could make it bigger if they wanted, or if the servers/typical hardware could run the simulation.
dietcola84
They really need to get rid of the whole "simulate every sim" thing. How many of you have actually followed a sim around and enjoyed it? I don't give a damn about that. This isn't The Sims.

That would free up some of your CPU or RAM to allow bigger cities. Or they could just, you know, allow the game to run on multiple cores.
Predmid
AG
but but but cloud side computations
JJxvi
AG
wee_ag
AG
1.7 update is live:

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9381430.page
quote:
• Traffic Improvements: Tuned traffic congestion and fixed some intersection traffic issues.
• Traffic improvements: Emergency Vehicles will drive in empty lanes to get around traffic at intersections.
• Traffic improvements: Emergency and Delivery vehicles get priority over regular traffic when leaving garage.
• All units and buildings can now be demolished using the bulldoze tool.
• Performance improvements for low spec systems.
• New Server: Asia 2 will be released Tuesday afternoon (PDT)!
tremble
AG
Is this worth buying yet?

I'll be checking in every once in a while and once you guys have finished beta testing I'll drop some cash on it.
Predmid
AG
Some of those videos posted earlier just make my go "what the **** were they thinking?"

The traffic and sims going "home" from work on dumb paths are the most egregious errors. How do developers not spot those problems way the hell back in their pre alpha testing? How did they not even think to fix it until after release?

It tells me one of two things:
Either their designers didn't know how to fix the traffic/pathing problem or the designers were under such a tremendous time crunch that bugs like that got shoved to the "we'll fix it later" pile. With the assumptions I have about EA, I'm guessing it's the latter. Which is a shame because the foundation of the game looks amazing. Another couple months of polish and fixing would probably have made this a really solid game.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
I don't understand their explanation for housing and job choices. How hard is it to have a data field for job location and a data field for home location? Your sim chooses a destination for pathing anyways, so now you have a single destination instead of the same sim choosing 15 different destinations until he finds a job. The same applies in the reverse for going home.

Am I a bit naive with this line of thinking?
CDub06
AG
Don't you bring logic into this. EA has done just fine without it.
wee_ag
AG
Updated and now getting EXTREME lag when playing my old cities. Anyone else?

Totally unplayable now.
Gone
Wow this sounds like a major CF. It'd be funny if so many people weren't out 60 bucks...
wee_ag
AG
well, after a restart - the game is running fine.

Traffic does seem better (though I never paid that close attention to it before) - though I'm sure my city layout is not optimal at all.
m-walker
AG
quote:
but but but cloud side computations
Rob02Aggie
AG
Can I get an invite to one of the Aggieland regions?

username is curtisrb

I started a region TexAgs12 on the Oceanic-2 server. Let me know if you want an invite.

[This message has been edited by Rob02Aggie (edited 3/19/2013 8:34p).]
GetThoseKeysMilo
They are marketing the game again. Just saw a commercial on ESPN.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.