**** Official Sim City Thread ****

46,489 Views | 920 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by wasabi1787
AgDev01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
also when doing the snake pattern dont use 90 degree angles which creates stoplights. use rounded cornors instead.
Prime0882
AG
Haven't played Simcity since it was on the SNES. With this and Starcraft II coming out right on top of each other I'm honestly surprised to see so little talk about SCII's expansion, and so much over Simcity (I know a big part of the discussion is all the issues).

Is Simcity really this popular compared to SCII? Guess I could see Simcity being more accessible to more people.
JJxvi
AG
Not enough Koreans here...
benMath08
AG
I took a break from SimCity to play Heart of the Swarm. SCII definitely has better pathing than Simcity but the writing is about the same quality.
Madmarttigan
AG
Is the storyline bad??

I liked WoL campaign a lot...
Madmarttigan
AG
problem with starcraft 2 is, I played the crap out of WoL and I have never gotten back into it because the amount of time you have to put back into the game to get anywhere close to where you were in skill.

It takes way more practice than a FPS, League of Legends, MMO, etc... Basically I think the pros at this game are probably the most insane multitaskers in the world. It is rough to try to train your brain to play the game at that speed going 10 different directions.
sichair
AG
I'd love an invite if there are any available. Origin name is sichair
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Interesting...

quote:
So with a little bit of package editing within SimCity thanks to the modding guide posted to Reddit earlier, and a little playing about in the code, it's possible to enable debug mode. I linked the activation to the "Help Center" button in the main menu for ease. Most developer debug features are disabled without having an actual developer's build (they have terraforming tools etc. available in the full developer build!), but a few things do still work - including editing the main highways.

Not only that - but you can edit the highways ANYWHERE - even outside of your city boundary... and even if you quit the game and log back in later, it's all saved safely on the server.

This shows that highway editing will be easily possible, AND that editing outside of the artificially small city boundaries should be very viable too, potentially (since you can place roads and rails that snap anywhere on-screen).

Edit: And yes I also modded out the disconnect timer (can now play "offline" indefinitely - but no saves/syncs or region related stuff, not yet anyway... but the simulation can carry on with no connection indefinitely). And I modded out the "fluffed population count", just shows the real population count now. Both very minor/easy tweaks.

Kotaku Article

Original Reddit
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
My favorite quote from the comments:

quote:
You've just PANTSED one of the biggest gaming corporations out there.
Gone
Man, I was really excited about this game until I learned you HAD to play online, which pissed me off. Glad I didn't buy it...sounds like it's a pig with lipstick on it. VERY disappointing from EA. But I think they've learned that they can pretty much get away with anything, and people will still buy it.
AgDev01
AG
quote:
I'd love an invite if there are any available. Origin name is sichair

I'll send you one out this evening.
BadMoonRisin
AG
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/14/modder-runs-simcity-offline-maxis-remains-silent/

Moder modded it proving offline mode possible and can build outside of borders...it only used servers to save. Unbelievable...everything about this game was a outright lie.
CDub06
AG
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/13/simcitys-sims-dont-seem-that-smart-after-all/

[This message has been edited by CDub06 (edited 3/14/2013 1:45p).]
Gradin
AG
Yep, EA just wants to make sure no one can play a pirated version of the game.
AgDev01
AG
looks like some changes ahve been implemented on the test server:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-GKCK_CVH8&feature=youtu.be
benMath08
AG
I can't wait for the pirated version that allows terraforming and full region editing. Not even joking.
Gradin
AG
Hopefully things will improve
dietcola84
It would be nice if the devs would give us an update on what they are working on fixing.
wee_ag
AG
quote:
It would be nice if the devs would give us an update on what they are working on fixing.
You should follow @simcity - they release a blog post every couple of days with what they are working on. http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog

Giving up on the game for a couple of weeks until some more patches are released and the game has some modicum of ai.

[This message has been edited by wee_ag (edited 3/14/2013 4:01p).]
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
quote:

Candor isn't a strong quality they have. Developers always seem to have a fear of acknowledging bugs, not sure if it's a legal thing or not. It's amazing how well the player base reacts when you fess up to a bug and then give the occasional updates as to its solution. Even if the eventual solution is that it's an unresolvable bug.

I have a feeling that Maxis/EA is in a "If we just ignore them, they'll go away" strategy. And to a certain extent, they're probably right. I know I, along with many others here have stopped playing or significantly decreased how much we do play. The same thing happened for me with D3. I played at launch through the bugginess, got into Inferno and then just got fed up with the game design and never went back even with the improvements they made.
wee_ag
AG
Another dev update...

http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/simcity-update-8
boogieman
AG
Can you move your city from one server to another? Not sure how I ended up starting a city on a Europe server.
AgDev01
AG
No. Each server is separate. Your status on one doesn't affect the other.

Edit: make the mistake of abandoning my city before claiming one of the other abandoned ones.

Can someone re-invite me to Take 2

[This message has been edited by AgDev01 (edited 3/14/2013 7:22p).]
Twit Happens
quote:
Another dev update...

http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/simcity-update-8

So basically we are beta testing the game for them with their "retail" release.
JJxvi
AG
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
What's that JJ?
jnathan10
AG
2 lanes into 1 into 2?
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
quote:
2 lanes into 1 into 2?
Ah, didn't see that. Is it only a visual thing, or is 2-1-2 how it operates?
tamuwx
AG
That must be San Antonio
Aggiethruthicknthin
AG
started playing with a city last night where its one long snakey road. Definitely better on traffic, didnt play it long enough to grow it very much.
bigjohn1
AG
Medium Density Avenue into Medium density Road?

Or am I missing something with the trees????
AgDev01
AG
quote:
That must be San Antonio

Specifically Hildebrand between Shook and San Pedro

[This message has been edited by AgDev01 (edited 3/15/2013 1:49p).]
bbattbq01
AG
http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/simcity-update-straight-answers-from-lucy

Aha ha ha ahaa ha ha
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
quote:
http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/simcity-update-straight-answers-from-lucy

Aha ha ha ahaa ha ha

Ironic, all of the excuses for online play requirement are broken or disabled.
SanAngeloAg16
Just got this. Super excited even with all the problems. Would love an invite. Origin ID = Kingelwood1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.