BBC/British TV

28,861 Views | 179 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by LondonOllie
texasaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I recently started Gavin & Stacey. So far, it's a typical sitcom, not amazing. Will see if it improves. In fact, it reminds me of the faux sitcom on extras. Which is a fantastic show for those who haven't seen it.
SeattleAgJr
Thumbs up to the Broadchurch finale. Went pretty much as I thought it would, except for what happens to Joe at the end.

I liked it. Very different in tone from Series 1, and did drag in a few storylines, but a nice finality to all storylines.
SeattleAgJr
Wolf Hall finale!

Damn, so many good and interesting shows coming out of the UK lately.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
quote:
Just stumbled across this thread and coincidentally just finished the 2nd season of Peaky Blinders. Cannot possibly recommend this show enough for those with Netflix. The wait for Season 3 is going to be torture.

I took down both seasons last week while enjoying a few days off. I loved it! Thank you to those on TexAgs that recommended it! I need season 3 to come out NOW!
SeattleAgJr
Series 4 finale of "Episodes" aired today. So many awesome moments. I love this show, but the wait until next January will suck.
runontexas
AG
Nothing better than Tennant's Dr Who!

The current doctor just doesn't feel right
SeattleAgJr
quote:
Nothing better than Tennant's Dr Who!

The current doctor just doesn't feel right
The current doctor is more like the traditional older doctors.

Not so much kissy kissy hug hug with the companions, and more a ******* ****ing with the Universe.

A good change of pace for now.
agenjake
Just a bump to reaffirm that Peaky Blinders is excellent. I started watching last weekend and am midway through season 2. My only complaint is that the seasons don't have enough episodes. I don't need 23 a season, but 9 or 10 would be awesome.
SeattleAgJr
Yeah, I never understood that about the BBC. I know that their TV is government subsidized and the money has to be spread around, but I would think that with international sales of shows, they could funnel some profits into some shows to get longer series or whatnot.
combat wombat™
AG
I've really been enjoying Foyle's War. It's great. Thanks to whoever made the recommendation.

My husband will even watch it with me.
LondonOllie
It's often the writers of the shows that keep episodes shorter in certain cases. In the USA it's the opposite, they stretch shows out for as long as possible. Look at The Office...the UK had two series of I think, six episodes each, and maybe an Xmas special. The US one went on forever (is it still running?).

It's not the case always, there are lots of shows that do run for a number of years, but usually it's the exception to the rule.
IJones23
quote:
Fawlty Towers

This and Are You Being Served.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
I've really been enjoying Foyle's War. It's great. Thanks to whoever made the recommendation.

My husband will even watch it with me.

Great show.
combat wombat™
AG
I'm almost done with the 8th season. Is that the final season? Are more coming?
Danger Mouse
AG
For any of you that watch Midsomer Murders, the actress who plays Cully Barnaby is the wife of USNT goalie Tim Howard.
ja86
AG
quote:
I'm almost done with the 8th season. Is that the final season? Are more coming?
I think that is it. ITV announced no more more shows.
combat wombat™
AG
Anyone watching Poldark? I'm really enjoying it. May have to read the books, which are supposed to have been meticulously researched.
TheDoctor
AG
Is there an easy way to watch Wolf Hall? Also, is anyone watching the adaption of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell on BBCA?
SeattleAgJr
quote:
Is there an easy way to watch Wolf Hall? Also, is anyone watching the adaption of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell on BBCA?
Torrent is probably "easiest"..

Watched the Jonathan Strange finale yesterday. Overall the series was well done, if lower budget than I would have liked.

Cast was exemplary but I did not like the fairy king's look.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Almost all of these shows are on Roku/ the ACORN club ! $5 per month. The 1975 Poldark 28 episodes or the new one.

Acorn specializes in BBC but has a lot of Aussie, New Zealand, and Canadian mysteries. Lots of Agatha Christie.

For some reason Amazon Prime has Acorn but very short list of shows.
combat wombat™
AG
You mean I don't have to wait on PBC to air Poldark?! Because I REALLY like looking at Aiden Turner.
combat wombat™
AG
Thanks for suggesting Acorn. I signed up today. Now I need to pick some shows.
VanZandt92
Bump on this thread. I'll be on a plane coast to coast tomorrow and I'm downloading like a son of a gun.
TheDoctor
AG

Doctor Who series 9 trailer

Premieres September 19.
p_bubel
Might as well mention the last Top Gear will air on BBC America Monday.

The second half is pretty damn funny.
TheDoctor
AG

Second DW series 9 trailer dropped yesterday.

Gives us a bit more. Capaldi really looks good / more comfortable here this time around.

Been rewatching S8 on Netflix this week. I liked it when it first aired, I love it on rewatch.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The British Office is much better.
SeattleAgJr
quote:

Second DW series 9 trailer dropped yesterday.

Gives us a bit more. Capaldi really looks good / more comfortable here this time around.

Been rewatching S8 on Netflix this week. I liked it when it first aired, I love it on rewatch.

My problem is that I am just hating pretty much everything Moffet is doing with Who these days - the stories, the resolution of the stories, etc.

I cannot manage to work up even the slightest enthusiasm for this season.

The only thing I liked out of the entire last season was the last episode stuff dealing with Missy. Other than that, it was complete crap.

And this is from someone who has been watching it since 1983.
dmart90
AG
It ran from 2000-2004, I believe, but Coupling was a brilliant comedy. If you've never seen it and can find, I highly recommend it.
TheDoctor
AG
Moffat, I agree, has run his course for me. I'm hoping it's his last or we're getting close to it. He was runner for the 50th, that would be enough for any show runner I'd think.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Not sure if it's running on other networks, but I could do without the Cottonelle "go commando" commercials I keep seeing on BBC America.

"Did you just wipe your bum?"
LCE
AG
Thought the 1st few years of Coupling was funny. Believe Moffat was a part of that
SeattleAgJr
quote:
Not sure if it's running on other networks, but I could do without the Cottonelle "go commando" commercials I keep seeing on BBC America.

"Did you just wipe your bum?"
Ha. I just download them as they air on the BBC, so there are no commercials for me.
combat wombat™
AG
I'm currently watching Chasing Shadows.
SteadicaTm
AG
Black Mirror is awesome. S2E2: White Bear is amazing. Would love to adapt it as a feature.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.