BBC/British TV

28,833 Views | 179 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by LondonOllie
combat wombat™
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I recently watched two shows I found on Netflix that I liked a lot. Call the Midwife, set in mid- to late-1950s London, and Island at War, a fictionalized account of the Nazi occupation of the Channel Islands. I really enjoyed both. Of course, I like Downton Abby and can't wait for the new season to begin.

Anyone else enjoy these types of shows? I'm looking for more. Would appreciate any suggestions.
OldArmy71
AG
Call the Midwife was a very gripping show. Well-written and well-acted.

I thought Downton Abbey fell off in quality this last year. We shall see what the new year will bring.
AgPediRPh
AG
Foyle's War is on Netflix right now. It's a detective show that takes place in England during and right after WWII. Excellent program!
Nonregdrummer09
AG
Sherlock is one of their most popular shows, and Benedict Cumberbatch is one of the best, if not the best, Sherlocks ever put on screen.
boy09
AG
Doctor Who, Sherlock, and Top Gear are about all I watch as far at British TV goes.
schmendeler
AG
top gear is not just the best car show in the world, but maybe one of the best shows, period.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Sherlock is one of their most popular shows, and Benedict Cumberbatch is one of the best, if not the best, Sherlocks ever put on screen.
This. If you haven't seen it, I also recommend "Luther" starring Idris Elba. I think that is on Netflix too.
redeyeone
AG
All of the British crime dramas are great. I have found Foyles War, A Touch of Frost, and the Sherlock series from the 80s on Netflix at various times. Recommend all of them. And of course there is Prime Suspect.
redeyeone
AG
I also enjoyed the series Lovejoy. I believe that was available on Netflix a year or so ago.
zgood10
AG
Peaky Blinders
Wildcat
AG
Call the Midwife was great as was Pinky Blinders.

Caught the latter on Netflix. Any knowledge of a second season?

Downton did fall off. I think they are struggling with attrition.
combat wombat™
AG
Second season of Call the Midwife? There were three seasons.
DonaldFDraper
AG
Sherlock, Luther, and Top of the Lake are all excellent and on Netflix.
Mathguy64
AG
I stumbled upon Luther back in May after binge watching Breaking Bad. Really well put together. The most frustrating part was that fact it was 3 "seasons" and 14 episodes.
redeyeone
AG
I have noticed that several of their shows only have three or four episodes in a season. I think my favorite british show of all time was Cracker. It was also available on Netflix a year or so ago when watched it.
ChipFTAC01
AG
My inlaws are British and they've recently discovered Netflix so they can watch their BBC shows. They're big Foyle's War fans so we'll watch that occasionally if we're over there.. Pretty good stuff.

Last night they were at our house and my FIL turned on Doc Martin. Kind of a Northern Exposure fish-out-of-water type show. I enjoyed it.
AgPediRPh
AG
If you like detective shows, Inspector Lewis, Endeavour and Luther are all very good.

Sherlock is good, but I found the third season really weak. It seemed to be dumbed down for a wider audience.
Buck O Five
AG
Top Gear.
Salome
AG
Being Human was fantastic. Also enjoyed Laird if the Glen.
biochemistry ag
AG
If you know the movie In the Loop (if you don't it's worth watching in Netflix) the director/creator first made a BBC comedy called The Thick of It. Both are similar to Veep. All are done by Armando Ianucci, anything he does is brilliant.
boy09
AG
quote:
top gear is not just the best car show in the world, but maybe one of the best shows, period.
I could not care less about fancy cars, or really even cars in general, but Top Gear is amazing.
Mr.KyleReed
AG
gf watches Call the Midwife, I watch Top Gear. Wanting to start Doctor Who, see what all thats about.
A&M Chopper
AG
Wire in the Blood with Robson Green
boy09
AG
quote:
Wanting to start Doctor Who, see what all thats about.
It's definitely not for everyone, but I love it. You just have to be able to look past the horribly cheesy production in the beginning, which does slowly get better over the course of the show. I could see that being an immediate turn-off for some people giving it a try for the first time.
who?mikejones
AG
I only watch British television (along with Parenthood).

Sherlock, Top Gear, Call to Midwife, Doctor Who (current incarnation) Downton Abbey, The Office, An Idiot Abroad, James May's Man Lab... all great.
who?mikejones
AG
quote:
quote:
Wanting to start Doctor Who, see what all thats about.
It's definitely not for everyone, but I love it. You just have to be able to look past the horribly cheesy production in the beginning, which does slowly get better over the course of the show. I could see that being an immediate turn-off for some people giving it a try for the first time.
I actually love the cheesy production with eccleston and early tennant.
Deputy Travis Junior
The British version of House of Cards is supposed to be amazing. I'm about to start watching it so I'll come back to this thread and tell you if it's worth the time.
RVAg02
AG
Better than the US House of Cards?
gigemags-99
AG
Fawlty Towers
Deputy Travis Junior
I think, stylistically, they're different enough that it's difficult to compare them straight up. The British version is supposed to be more intense and the protagonist more ruthless. But it's also very well done.
TheDoctor
AG

Will always be my favorite show.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I read this thread a little while back and started watching Sherlock. Freaking fantastic so far. The wife and I are four episodes in and are hooked. Thanks for the reccs.
wesag
AG
Strong thread
TheDoctor
AG
quote:
I read this thread a little while back and started watching Sherlock. Freaking fantastic so far. The wife and I are four episodes in and are hooked. Thanks for the reccs.
Sherlock is incredible. Hopefully we will not have to wait too long for season 4.
MAROON
AG
new 1970s era spy show just started on BBC America - The Game. Watched the first episode and I'm in. Looks promising to me.

The Game BBC

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.