Manchester United 2023-24 Thread

78,966 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by Thunder18
Aston94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So now Martial and Varane are officially not going to be resigned and will not be a part of the club next season. Fernandez has confirmed he will stay. Happy with all three of these decisions so far.
Dre_00
Martial was obvious. Argument could have been made to try and re-sign Varane at a lower salary but 31 and injury prone is not a player you want in your 4 man CB rotation. Bruno staying is a plus as this is not the offseason to be forced into replacing him too. That said, if an incredible deal came across the table, I would consider pulling the trigger. This team needs a lot of work and that will cost a lot of money. At 29, his value is only going down from here. If United got an incredible offer, they'd be smart to take it.
Dre_00
I'm going to limit myself to 5 additions to be made to the squad because I think the reality is that anything more than that, is highly unlikely (and you could argue it would be a bad decision even if it were possible).

2 center backs
1 center mid
1 forward
1 right winger (who ideally is also competent on the left)

I'll balance that by suggesting 5 players who should move on (this is in addition to any player who is currently on loan away from the club as I think all of those players should move on except Daniel Gore).

Amrabat
Eriksen
Evans
McTominay
Lindelof

Amrabat has done nothing to suggest that his loan be turned into a permanent move. Eriksen is 32 and has no long term future at the club. Evans has done very admirably but no 36 year old center back should be heavily relied on. Given Kambwala's emergence, he would/should be 6th choice CB at best. Those are the obvious choices.

McTominay moves solely because I think this is the season where you could sell him at his highest value. He only has one year remaining on his contract which isn't ideal for transfer value but he's 27 and coming off his best season...ever? Even if United get decent money for Sancho and Greenwood, they'll need funds and if McTominay can get you some decent coin, I think you pull the trigger.

I went back and forth between Maguire and Lindelof. I think you have to sell one of them and given that Lindelof is younger and likely has a little more value, I'll pick him. Maguire has had a pretty good season but don't think anyone is paying decent money for him in the final year of his contract (Lindelof is also in the final year of his contract). Sad is it may be he's probably more valuable as a 4th choice CB than the 20 million he'd likely get you if you sold him.

And that list of 5 illustrates a massive problem the new owners are going to have. FFP and money. None of those 5 are highly valuable assets. They are either old or in the final year of their contracts. If you assume players like Mainoo, Garnacho, Hojlund, etc. are off limits, then the only players on the first team that have any actual value are Bruno and Rashford. Unless Saudi comes calling and gives you stupid money for someone like Casemiro (doubtful...and I wouldn't sell him unless Saudi did), it would be really hard to turn down a great offer for either one of those players.

Of course if United are buying smart and can bring in some undiscovered, undervalued gems then the above is a moot point. But that's highly unlikely to be the case this summer given that many of the new front office pieces are still waiting to join the club.
Dre_00
One more thing...I really hope that whomever the manager is opens up competition and virtually every position. Amad and Forson (if he stays...which seems increasingly unlikely) should be given every chance to make a case for significant first team minutes on the right. Antony has done nothing to suggest that is his job by de facto. That U-18 team that won the northern youth league (besting City), the youth national final (beating Chelsea), and the youth league cup (beating City)...give them all a chance to establish a role in the first team next year. Probably 1-2 players there who could provide value already starting next season. Like I see no reason why Ethan Wheatley shouldn't be 3rd choice striker next season (ideally would be 4th but no chance we get 2 strikers in the offseason unless we pick up some old dude on a free).
Dre_00
Bruno starts as a false 9 (or perhaps McTominay in that role). Rashford and Lisandro on the bench. Evans and Casemiro starting at CB. Again. Comical at this point.
Thunder18
AG
Amrabat has been low-key not terrible the last few games
Showstopper
AG
Jinx! (But I agree; may be too late though)
Showstopper
AG
Mainoo is the truth!
Aston94
AG
And in one move Diallo shows why he should be getting all playing time on the right wing and that Antony should be sold for whatever we can get.
Aston94
AG
Amrabat...yeesh
Dre_00
Casemiro is giving us that Kevin Costner baseball movie where he's a washed up pitcher who somehow puts it altogether to pitch a perfect game.

An incredible goal saving tackle in the box followed quickly by a headed goal line clearance.
Thunder18
AG
Clear the ball
Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

Casemiro is giving us that Kevin Costner baseball movie where he's a washed up pitcher who somehow puts it altogether to pitch a perfect game.

An incredible goal saving tackle in the box followed quickly by a headed goal line clearance.

Just don't watch the replays of him trying to run with Anthony Gordon or missing a tackle 20 yards out of position.
Showstopper
AG
It may be less of an FFP hit to loan Antony next year and sell him the year after when they switch to the multiple of lowest revenue team system. But yeah, I'm obviously on your side overall (the more I watch Antony, the more I dislike him; I just want him to disappear from my sight at this point).
Aston94
AG
Showstopper said:

It may be less of an FFP hit to loan Antony next year and sell him the year after when they switch to the multiple of lowest revenue team system. But yeah, I'm obviously on your side overall (the more I watch Antony, the more I dislike him; I just want him to disappear from my sight at this point).
Bag of donuts, loan, sell, whatever is best for the club is good for me, so long as he isn't in Manchester next season.
Dre_00
Antony ain't going anywhere fellas. Especially if Sancho leaves. This team has already been caught too many times by a lack of depth. By not having any viable option beyond the first 2 options. Antony may suck but he's a body. And moreover, who in the world is going to pay money for him? I can't imagine team paying even 10 million for him.
Aston94
AG
Casemiro give...Casemiro taketh away
Showstopper
AG
Casemiro… not a CB…
Showstopper
AG
Don't ruin my dreams. I have a full summer of fantasizing about Antony going away planned.
Showstopper
AG
Wow great job by Amrabat. AWB with huge misplayed ball.
Dre_00
Aaron Whatareyoudoing Bissaka.
Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

Antony ain't going anywhere fellas. Especially if Sancho leaves. This team has already been caught too many times by a lack of depth. By not having any viable option beyond the first 2 options. Antony may suck but he's a body. And moreover, who in the world is going to pay money for him? I can't imagine team paying even 10 million for him.
I could see a loan. Maybe back to Ajax?

As far as depth on that side we should have Rashford and Diallo. Weren't you just touting our youth system, shouldn't that be able to provide a third right wing?

If we cannot get rid of him then he can be the third option and play in the second half of meaningless League Cup games.

Showstopper
AG
Amad is also the truth! Amad in! Antony out!
Aston94
AG
Diallo!!!!
Thunder18
AG
AWB is a super lazy player. Really hope we can get him out soon.

Amad with a peach of a goal there, from a corner mo less
Mathguy64
AG
Mainoo. Diallo. Garnacho. Kambwala. Plenty of kids to play.

They are just going to have to eat some salary losses and play kids. It's not like it would be the end of the world.

The losses on the books will hurt but given how badly they have been overpaying it's going to have to happen.
Aston94
AG
I agree, I could stomach a season like this one if we were playing the younger players and making young player mistakes. Watching alder players make tired, half-hearted mistakes drives me crazy.
Dre_00
I wouldn't consider Rashford as RW depth. Can he do it? I guess. But so can Bruno. I wouldn't consider either a guy you want playing more than 6-8 games there.

If United signs a right winger and if Forson stays then Antony becomes more expendable. But Forson doesn't appear likely to re-sign and I'm not convinced that the club will go after a right winger (It's likely 4th on their list of priorities. At best.)
Thunder18
AG
Ref is calling a foul anytime we breathe on a Newcastle player
Showstopper
AG
If you keep Amad, get Olise, pay for it with Sancho and Greenwood, you are two deep at RW (and Garnacho can play there in a pinch.
Dre_00
No good reason why in the 80th minute of a 2-1 game you're leading that you don't sub on one of the recognized center backs on your bench.
Dre_00
That's how you get in trouble. This season has proved you need 3 legitimate options at each position. Even if the 3rd isn't seasoned. It needs to be his primary position. And pulling Garnacho to the right makes him less effective and cuts your left winger depth in half.
Mathguy64
AG
Dre_00 said:

No good reason why in the 80th minute of a 2-1 game you're leading that you don't sub on one of the recognized center backs on your bench.

Other than there is a 50-50 chance he gets hurt again.
Thunder18
AG
Hojlund scores on his 2nd touch of the match with his weak foot. You love to see it
Mathguy64
AG
Rasmus. That was horrible defense by Newcastle and I'll take every bit of it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.