Manchester United 2023-24 Thread

81,248 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by Thunder18
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's been like an hour and I still can't process what I just witnessed. I might watch that game 3 more times before I go to bed.

That's all I can manage at the moment guys. No long Dre posts at this time.
oh no
AG
Dre_00 said:

No long Dre posts at this time.
thank you
Dre_00
Ordinarily, I would now craft a 5,000 word epic out of spite, but I'm still in the middle of my rewatch so you get a reprieve.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Bringing Antony in at LB was quite possibly one of the strangest, and funniest, moves I've seen ETH make in his entire tenure. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me when I saw him and Garnacho on the same side (I missed the actual substitution due to kiddo distractions) The fact that he was able to be somewhat effective and even score is mind boggling to me.
Aston94
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

Bringing Antony in at LB was quite possibly one of the strangest, and funniest, moves I've seen ETH make in his entire tenure. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me when I saw him and Garnacho on the same side (I missed the actual substitution due to kiddo distractions) The fact that he was able to be somewhat effective and even score is mind boggling to me.

He was at his traditional RW position when he came in, only later in the 105th minute when we brought Mount in for Lindelof did he drop back to Left Defender, right after the Elliott goal where we needed more offense.

So we were playing with a back 3 of Dalot-Maguire-Martial for the entirety of the second half of ET. What was crazy is I thought that would mean McTominay would drop and focus more as the 6, but he was essentially playing a forward, I guess because his legs were shot and he couldn't get back defensively. That left Eriksen as the defensive mid. Just crazy formation that somehow worked.

Only bummer is that Dialo picked up that second yellow for taking off his shirt, so he won't get to be a part of the Wembley semifinal.
Dre_00
Diallo misses Brentford not the semifinal. FA Cup red cards apply to league games.

That formation at the end was wild. I will say this for ETH. The man is not afraid to go big. It burns him sometimes (pushed everyone waaaaay up to get a winner against Fulham and they ended up with an easy counter that cost United a point) but he goes for it.
Dre_00
Mainoo is belatedly added to the full England squad. He was initially going to play with the U-21 team but Southgate changed his mind.

I've rewatched the Liverpool game twice thus far and this kid continues to amaze. The maturity he continues to show and the intelligence to do what he's doing as an 18 year old midfielder. It continues to be absurd. I really hope United don't screw this up.
Dre_00
Maguire picked up a knock against Brazil. Leaving the national team to undergo a scan. Doesn't sound serious but would guess he might not be available for Brentford.
Dre_00
Mainoo gets his first start for England against Belgium and wins MOTM. No big deal.
Aston94
AG
So what do we make of the Gary O'Neil rumors? Think he would come as an assistant to ETH? ETH take on more of a sporting director role and leave coaching to O'Neil, or is this the end of the road for ETH?
Dre_00
I'm struggling to understand why he would leave Wolves for a coaching role and I'm also struggling to understand why United would be interested in having him as a manager. I don't see it happening but stranger things have happened I guess.
Showstopper
AG
Same. I saw the rumor, but I don't put much stock in it. He's been a good manager at Bournemouth and Wolves, so for a club outside the top six he'd be worth a good look. But he hasn't done so well that he should get United Manager, and he hasn't done bad, so no reason for him to take a lesser role.

Honestly, it's probably just being floated by his agent. And if we are kicking the tires on Gareth Southgate, we are probably checking on lots of guys we will never hire. (I hope.)
Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

I'm struggling to understand why he would leave Wolves for a coaching role and I'm also struggling to understand why United would be interested in having him as a manager. I don't see it happening but stranger things have happened I guess.

That's where I was at as well. Didn't make much sense for either party. I like Gary O'Neil but don't think he is ready for a United type job, but maybe I am wrong.
Mathguy64
AG
That was 45 ugly minutes. The only good part is that somehow Brentford didn't score. Not for lack of trying.
Furlock Bones
AG
Oof. Fortunate to be level.
Showstopper
AG
I'm going to go out on a limb and say they have higher xG lol.
Mathguy64
AG
Bwahahahaha. Fergie time baby.
Showstopper
AG
Wow. We didn't just deserve to lose, we deserved to lose by 2-3 goals.
Showstopper
AG
Well never mind…
Mathguy64
AG
I have no words. Other than Brentford deserves it
Dre_00
Jason Wilcox has resigned from Southampton and looks to be the new technical director at United...eventually. Much like the Ashworth situation, United and Southampton need to agree a fee to shorten his gardening leave and Southampton are pissed he's leaving. Wilcox had a big hand in building City's youth system and worked with Berrada while there.

He has a 12 month period where he can't move into another job unless compensation is agreed to shorten that. Given that United also need to negotiate with Ashworth over Newcastle, it seems at least one, if not both of these new hires won't be in their new role in time for the summer transfer season. Which is less than ideal.
Thunder18
AG
United tax apparently carries over to staff as well
Aston94
AG
Southampton are upset they are losing staff to a Big Six club? Really?
Dre_00
They're probably mostly annoyed that they only had him for one season. But I'm guessing that they see an opportunity to get a sizable payout given how the Ashworth saga is playing out.
Dre_00
Regarding Ashworth, it's being reported that United are planning as if he won't join till after the summer. They aren't going to pay Newcastle's asking price of 20 million and plan to wait until Newcastle have hired his replacement as they assume Newcastle's asking price will be lower then. Given that Newcastle is at least saying that they are happy to keep the position open till after the summer window, United are targeting a September 1st start so that they are well prepared for the January 2025 transfer window.
Aston94
AG
Martinez and Lindelof both out for a month.

Guess its Varane-Maguire time...
Mathguy64
AG
Aston94 said:

The hell? Lisandro just came back.
Aston94
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Aston94 said:

Calf injury during training apparently.
Showstopper
AG
The Southampton situation will work itself out since they are in the Championship, so they will want money and won't be that interested in actually paying someone to not work for them. Newcastle might well pay Ashworth to do nothing out of spite (it sounds like anyway; dey mad).
Showstopper
AG
Aston94 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Aston94 said:

Calf injury during training apparently.
It would be pretty cool to have more than 5 defenders available for 4 defender slots (one of which is a 35 year old that was practicing and just trying to stay fit pre-season when ten Hag said, "Hey, who is that?")
Dre_00
Good god just end the season already. I'm done with this. I'm sure Lisandro and Lindelof will return in time to play for their national teams in their confederation tournaments and then promptly injure themselves for 3 months.

It's not just United by any stretch of the imagination. Newcastle and Tottenham have also been absolutely ravaged by injuries. This is the new normal if the money lords insist on asking players to play 65 games a year for club and country.
deadbq03
AG
A good rant like that on this thread deserves some crazy-brilliant Eric Cantona.

I'll see myself out now. Carry on.
Dre_00
Rashford starts on the bench and is replaced by............

..........Antony.

(sad trombone)
Dre_00
Antony and AWB on the right is a brutal pairing. Antony cuts into the middle 99% of the time and AWB can't cross when he overlaps into the space that Antony vacates. LB can just do whatever he wants because he never has to defend the left side of defense.
Furlock Bones
AG
EtH doing his road best once again.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.