Manchester United 2023-24 Thread

81,240 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by Thunder18
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.football365.com/news/transfer-gossip-man-utd-onana-suzuki-newcastle-bonucci-chelsea-caicedo-arsenal-rice

Somewhat buried in all the primary gossip is this blurb that United is interested in Zion Suzuki...a 20 year old Japanese goalie who currently is 2nd choice for Urawa Reds. He's mentioned in the same rumor as Onana but hard to imagine this kid would even be a backup for the 1st team. More likely a U-23 prospect that's given a few years to develop.

But the most interesting part is that this kid was born in Little Rock. Could have played for the USMNT and I've never even heard of him.
Dre_00
Thunder18
AG
Seal the deal, let's sell some deadweight and find a good Striker that won't cost $100 mil
Mathguy64
AG
And now De Gea can leave on a free. Way to manage that contract for a return.
Dre_00
Hojlund rumors seem to be picking up a little steam with the added twist of Greenwood going in the other direction on loan. Not sure the two would be directly tied to one another but I'm guessing a move for Hojlund is made easier if Atalanta already have an idea who is replacement would be. I personally would love to see United just bin Greenwood but they're not going to throw something away if it still has market value. And I doubt any team is going to do anything more than take him on loan because of the optics.
Furlock Bones
AG
DDG confirms he is leaving United.
Dre_00
Deserved a better good bye. It was time but he deserved better. Single handedly kept us relevant for years.
Furlock Bones
AG
Dre_00 said:

Deserved a better good bye. It was time but he deserved better. Single handedly kept us relevant for years.

I think he should have been sent after the Villarreal final. So not bothered.
Furlock Bones
AG
Onana deal to be done this week.
Dre_00
According to our favorite Italian transfer expert, it is expected to be completed by Wednesday/Thursday.

He goes on to say that Fred has new agents and both Fulham and Saudi have enquired about him. No offers but he wants more playing time and know he's not likely to get it at United.

If we could somehow sell Fred for more than what Amrabat is reported to cost (20 million), that would be a great piece of business. Balances the midfield significantly. But that's a massive if.
Dre_00
Henderson to Forest for 30 million is seemingly being discussed more. Henderson hasn't been added to the roster for today's friendly against Leeds and is unlikely to join United on the US tour. Sounds like the only question is how much United will get for him. I'll be surprised if they get 30 million for him.

Elanga to Everton is returning as a rumor. Everton were interested back in January but United needed him as cover. Now...they have options and/or time to fill his roster spot. It doesn't seem like he has a future at United so if they can sell him for a decent fee, that would be a plus. They sold James Garner to Everton last summer for 10+5. Should ask for more for Elanga as he has more EPL experience than Garner did at the time he was sold and is the same age as Garner when he was sold.

I imagine that Diallo is still most likely to go out on loan again. But, if he has a good pre-season and can convince ETH that he can play a useful role off the bench...kind of like a 2022-23 Garnacho but on the right...that would be good roster management and transfer business in one combined move.
Furlock Bones
AG
sounds like Hojlund is next on the docket after they get the Onana deal done. Hojlund apparently wants to come to United.
Dre_00
They're probably going to have to sell at least one player (Henderson?) or be quite certain that they will before they can move for Hojlund. He's likely to cost 50 million so unless everyone is wrong about their budget, they aren't going to have enough for Mount, Onana, and Hojlund w/o selling.
Showstopper
AG
I think they should sell Henderson now (not that anyone is asking me). Is there any way we start the season with Dean Henderson as number one? I doubt it, even if we do screw up the Onana deal. Seems more likely Forrest could find a keeper they like more than Henderson. (Clearly, I'm not a huge Dean Henderson fan, though, so what do I know).
Dre_00
Henderson has seemingly made it clear multiple times that he has no intention of staying at United. I think the only question is if he leaves on loan again or if he gets permanently sold. And if he gets sold, does he get sold for a fee high enough to tangibly affect United's transfer budget and does it happen with enough time before the window shuts so that United can use the funds in this window.
Thunder18
AG
Realistically I think we have to sell Henderson in this window. Ideally we also offload Maguire and one of Fred or McTominay, but it's not looking likely for that. ****ing Woodward
Dre_00
Takeaways from yesterday's friendly with Leeds. Will be interesting to see what ETH does with Mainoo this season. Seems like he's a fan and he has a skillset that ETH really wants/needs for his teams. Hard to imagine he'll get minutes with the first team this season but I can also imagine that it could be hard to find the right loan for a player like him.

https://theathletic.com/4682842/2023/07/12/manchester-united-mason-mount-ten-hag/?source=twitteruk
Dre_00
And according to the Athletic, Atalanta want 85 million GBP for Hojlund. Hard pass. If you're going to pay that (United supposedly can't), then you might as well add another 40 million on top and go get Harry Kane.
Furlock Bones
AG
Dre_00 said:

And according to the Athletic, Atalanta want 85 million GBP for Hojlund. Hard pass. If you're going to pay that (United supposedly can't), then you might as well add another 40 million on top and go get Harry Kane.

Haha. Yea that's a ridiculous ask.
Thunder18
AG
Atalanta with a big ole "**** off" quote there...guy scored 9 goals in Serie A last season
Showstopper
AG
It is hard to know what they really want because everyone is quoting crazy numbers for young strikers that you would think would be more reasonable. I heard similar numbers floated for Muani and Ramos. For both, take out their past year and they haven't done much either (and it is a little questionable whether goals in Portugal or France really translate that well). (Edit: and before anyone says it, yes I watched the World Cup and saw Ramos look better than Ronaldo; but be careful of World Cup play because Harry Maguire looks good in international play).

It may become a question of who has a striker we like that drops down to the 50M area first…
Dre_00
It hasn't reached "Here we go" status yet but...

50+5 million EUR which doesn't seem horrible if I'm honest.
planoaggie123
AG
Just saw this...sounds like he will be ok but was def a favorite of mine for years:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/former-netherlands-goalie-edwin-van-der-sar-no-longer-life-threatening-danger-intensive-care

Texagsubscriber
What's his name?
NATTY OR BUST. BUST IT IS.

GIVE ME NATTY, OR GIVE ME BAS!!!
Thunder18
AG
Lots of smoke surrounding an imminent Fred departure. Hopefully we can get 15 or so for Pastor Fred
Showstopper
AG
Some people are saying he may be being more careful with "here we go" since he said it for Declan Rice early last week and… well, here we are…

And if Arsenal can draw it out, that's practically begging United to say, "Hold my beer…"
Texagsubscriber
Erik wants him for the US tour. They will get him signed and ready for training/preseason games.
NATTY OR BUST. BUST IT IS.

GIVE ME NATTY, OR GIVE ME BAS!!!
Showstopper
AG
Well, he wanted a striker by the time we went on tour, too… how's that working out for him? "Don't worry, Erik, we can pretend Rashford and Sancho are strikers until Tony is healthy for a week or two when you get back. Then he will probably get hurt again. We are talking to that kid that we thought could be the cheap Haaland with almost the same name, but Atalanta want almost as much for him as Harry Kane might cost, so…

"Hey, how do you feel about Wout Weghorst?"
Dre_00
If there really are this many clubs interested in him and their interest is serious, we should be able to get a decent fee for him.

Dre_00
Luton purchased Tahith Chong from Birmingham for an undisclosed fee which apparently triggered a 1 million GBP payout to United...top up that transfer kitty baby!

Or more likely, free trip on the private jet for the Glazers baby!
Dre_00
Dusan Tadic is reportedly trying to get out of his contract at Ajax. Missing out on CL is forcing them to cut costs and he's not thrilled with how they are conducting their business in advance of the season.

So...prepare yourselves for the "Dusan Tadic to Manchester United" rumors in mid-August when we still haven't haven't signed a striker and have run out of money.
Showstopper
AG
Sweet! We made enough to pay for four flights for Avram! Might as well book the plane for the quad now!
Mathguy64
AG
Don't spend that $1MM so fast. The club was just fined $300 K for "minor FFP violations". So scratch one plane trip.
Showstopper
AG
While we are paying that fine, we should ask, "So hypothetical: let's say a club accidentally bought a 100M striker thinking they could sell players like Barry Ragwire, Red, and Slotch McBombalay for 100M to make up for it, but let's say that didn't happen… what kind of fine are we talking? Asking for a friend…"
Furlock Bones
AG
I saw a twitter post earlier this morning that i wish i could find again. it basically said that the crazy transfer fees especially in the EPL are creating a house of cards. teams owe each other millions and millions of pounds. owners are having to self fund. the Glazers would be crazy not to sell right now unless they believe a new league with more money (super league) is imminent.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.