Manchester United 2023-24 Thread

78,956 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by Thunder18
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ah well. We knew we'd eff this up.
Thunder18
AG
So ****ing STUPID
Thunder18
AG
Another paper tissue soft call if this stands
Showstopper
AG
Should have let him take the shot…
Mathguy64
AG
The minute they names Garnacho MOTM at 90' I know that would come back and bite us.
Rudyjax
AG
That's a soft AF penalty. But agree it wasn't an egregious error.
Mathguy64
AG
Chelsea now leads the universe in soft PKs
Furlock Bones
AG
That is so ****ing soft.
Dre_00
LMAO
Showstopper
AG
Oh my god kill me now
Mathguy64
AG
Mathguy64 said:

The minute they names Garnacho MOTM at 90' I know that would come back and bite us.
****ing A
Thunder18
AG
Just unbelievable. Never should've been given 8 minutes of ET and the team just mentally shut down there. Un****ingbelievable
Mathguy64
AG
ETH has no idea how to win a game with this team
oh no
AG
wow
Furlock Bones
AG
There's a 6:16 train tomorrow morning leaving London station to Amsterdam. No need for EtH to even travel back to Manchester.
Mathguy64
AG
If that doesnt go in its another PK. That was handling by McT
Dre_00
That should just about do it for ETH. Don't think even winning the FA Cup will save him.
Dre_00
The problem for ETH is that the only way United can win a game is if they make the game a complete madhouse. United only win when they abandon the midfield entirely and just go 120 mph an hour down the pitch making both numerous basic errors and also displaying incredible moments of talent and skill.

That's not sustainable and it's not a foundation to become a top team. I don't know how Ratcliffe or Barrada could look at how United play today and say "Ah yes, I see what you're working toward. The picture is fuzzy and far from complete but I see it." I have no idea what exactly this team is working towards. It's just complete end to end nonsense ball like we're playing an NBA All-Star game and hoping it all works out.
Furlock Bones
AG
Which adds more fuel to the EtH fire because his personnel decisions have been giant flaming piles.
Dre_00
I agree. But that doesn't really matter in a world in which he will never ever make those decisions again. The only thing that he should be judged on is the whether or not he's making progress towards something that could tactically compete at the highest level. Really hard to say he is based on this season.

It's not the losing. It's how they play.
Dre_00
I'm beginning to think that were it not for beating Liverpool and drawing Coventry in the FA Cup, he would very likely be fired before the season and United would just go interim coach till the end of the season. CL is over…even with the extra slot.

But United are likely (though far from guaranteed) to be playing in the FA Cup Final. Unless you have a great interim at your disposal, ETH is likely your best chance of winning it even if it isn't a good chance. Don't think United will throw that chance away slim as it may be. Only way they would is if they thought the perfect replacement is available now but that is very likely not the case.
Dre_00
Alright it's late so I'm going to pretend that United firing ETH once CL is officially ruled out after beating Coventry in the FA semis and bringing back SAF for the final few league games in the league and the FA Cup Final as Fergie beats Guardiola before making way for the new manager is a thing that could actually happen so that I fall asleep with a grin.
oh no
AG
Furlock Bones
AG
30 matches in. -1 GD. Sometimes you don't need advanced stats.
Mathguy64
AG
Dre_00 said:

The problem for ETH is that the only way United can win a game is if they make the game a complete madhouse. United only win when they abandon the midfield entirely and just go 120 mph an hour down the pitch making both numerous basic errors and also displaying incredible moments of talent and skill.

That's not sustainable and it's not a foundation to become a top team. I don't know how Ratcliffe or Barrada could look at how United play today and say "Ah yes, I see what you're working toward. The picture is fuzzy and far from complete but I see it." I have no idea what exactly this team is working towards. It's just complete end to end nonsense ball like we're playing an NBA All-Star game and hoping it all works out.
Earlier in the season when United came back at home from an 0-2 deficit one of the commentators said basically the same thing. Something like "United play best in desperation mode".

It's not much different than the Bielsa (or Marsch) model of pure press and chaos. The difference is we don't have the player depth or fitness to attempt it for any length of time.

The flip side is they also can't sit back and just play defense for any length of time. They do in spurts but other times they are just horrid.
Showstopper
AG
I didn't want to slam someone, but Rashford's performance yesterday was completely embarassing. I understand he's not been in form this year, but his effort on defense has been shockingly bad this year. And yesterday he didn't start, so it wasn't like he had the excuse that he had to be ready to play 90 minutes. He came on around the 65th minute, right? You can't give 35 minutes of effort against Chelsea?

Like I said, I'm a fan, and still am a Rashford fan (I don't want them to sell him) but… he hasn't made it easy to be a fan this year between the poor form, the missing training to go to out the night before, and the low effort. I'm honestly at the same point I am with ten Hag where I don't want him to go, but if SJR and Ineos got rid of him, I certainly couldn't say I didn't understand it.

(That said, the next manager betting odds still have Southgate as the top choice which I don't understand at all. He would be close to the bottom for me out of all the names on the odds list; I'd rather they bring Jose or Ole back, and I'm not even kidding)
ChipFTAC01
AG
Furlock Bones said:

30 matches in. -1 GD. Sometimes you don't need advanced stats.

I assume that there's some sort of Pythagorean w/l for GD like there is for baseball. Pretty crazy y'all are in 6th with a negative gd.
Showstopper
AG
It's not that surprising. There are really a few tiers. Top 3 have +38 to +48 GD. 4th and 5th are Villa and Spurs at +18 and +17. Then United through Fulham at 6th through 13th are in a narrow band of -5 to +5 GD with two exceptions: Newcastle at +12 and Bournemouth at -9. Those are explained largely by Newcastle beating Sheffield United 8-0, and Bournemouth getting battered at the start of the year and being in the relegation battle before improving in winter to now. Then you have near relegation teams at 14th through 17th at -11 to -16. And then you have the three bottom at -21, -34, and -52.

Basically, no one can really complain too much about which of those tiers they are in. West Ham is next behind us in 7th at -5 GD.
Dre_00
U-18s beat Liverpool 9-1. Gotta take the wins where you can get them at this point.
jeffk
AG
Y'all take it easy on our senior team tomorrow please.
Dre_00
Good news. We have a player on the bench whose primary position is LB.

Bad news. He's 17 years old and just signed his first professional contract 3 weeks ago.
Mathguy64
AG
I know the instruction is to hold the flag and wait but dude. It was obvious. Just raise it and move on.
Mathguy64
AG
So. You have no healthy LBs and 2 RBs. One plays out of position.

I would rather AWB play on the left and move Dalot over.
Mathguy64
AG
Bruno, offside and pulled down. No foul because he's off.

Taylor puts up the arm and Bruno with the big "oh **** off".

Thunder18
AG
Another ****ty soft set piece goal given up

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.