Manchester United 2023-24 Thread

78,959 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by Thunder18
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A few youth departures...

Teden Mengi leaves for Luton Town on a permanent deal.

Marc Jurado leaves for Espanyol on a permanent deal. A little surprised as he's still only 19.
Dre_00
Amrabat confirmed on loan with option to buy. And since we are broke, I think you can be pretty certain that there will be no out of the blue last minute signings. That should do it.

With the arrival of Reguilon, Fernandez has been cleared to join Granada on loan. If he does well there, my guess is that he'll be penciled in for a spot in the first team next season.
Dre_00
Greenwood reportedly close to joining Getafe on loan. I have to imagine that United will pay the vast majority of his wages but still surprised to see him move out so quickly after all the absurdity of the club's "investigation".
Dre_00
Athletic reporting that the Amrabat loan deal is a 10M EUR fee with a 20+5M option to buy. I'm low key pumped about this after reading more about him. Can play as cover for Casemiro or as his partner as a better Fred (that's the idea anyway). At 27, he still has plenty of good years in front of him. Bottom line is last season we had 4 midfielders of which only 2 could be really be trusted. Now we have 5 or 6 (depending on whether you count Mainoo) most of which aren't going to scare you when they step out on the field. At least not yet anyway.
Aston94
AG
Amrabat is a good signing, surprised we were able to get him on loan with a pretty low signing fee. We have lots of playmaking passers in the midfield, hopefully will translate to more finishing up front.

Only disappointment for me the transfer market was not selling McTominay or Maguire. Would be nice to have the $$$ and see them both off. Hopefully sitting at the end of the bench for first half of the season will help both leave at winter transfer.
Mathguy64
AG
Once Varane went down I don't think they could unload Maguire. Right now the CBs are Martinez and Lindelof. Shaw can't slide in because he's out.

There are matches in the gummi bear cup, FA cup, CL and league and some of these will be against bad competition. Maguire needs to play in these games. All the back ups do.
Dre_00
Problem is United usually doesn't do much business in January because they are constantly at the FFP max and they suck at getting players in for value. So even if Maguire decides in January that he wants out, the chances of United being able to sell him for a higher amount than an equal or better replacement would cost are extremely low.

They could maaaaybe get away with selling McTominay if they are so inclined. If Mainoo comes back, gets some 1st team PT and impresses, maybe he becomes your 5th midfielder and then maybe you aren't forced to replace McTominay if you sell him. That's more straightforward to execute.
Showstopper
AG
Well… it's the Daily Mail (not Mike Keegan either who was breaking a lot of news that seemed to come from bidder side) but being reported from a source close to the Glazers that they will take United off the market. Hope it turns out like the other leaks but… yeah that would stink.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12474251/amp/Manchester-United-taken-market-Glazer-family-bidders-fail-reach-asking-price-huge-blow-furious-fans-hold-10BILLION-club.html
Mathguy64
AG
If they think it's worth $10B then they should run it like that.

But they don't.
Dre_00
If this is true, I think protests are going to be immense.. I hope they are.
Mathguy64
AG
Sancho didn't make the bench. Is he nicked up?

And our backup CB options are Evans and slabhead. Maybe the best choice would be to go to a back 3.
Aston94
AG
No McTominay or Maguire on the bench either.
Furlock Bones
AG
So glad to be on vacation and not watching. Think I'm done caring until the Glazers are gone.
Mathguy64
AG
Then you are done for a long time. Because they aren't selling.
Showstopper
AG
Erikseen keeping his FA Cup final form…
Furlock Bones
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Then you are done for a long time. Because they aren't selling.

Yep probably.
Mathguy64
AG
Lindelof totally screwed up thinking that was going out. Fortunately that's so wide or he's being sent off.
Mathguy64
AG
Oof. Salsa is now the lucky one. That may be red most everywhere but the PL.
Thunder18
AG
VAR gets one right. Would've been an incredibly soft PK
Mathguy64
AG
I guess the VAR isn't mates with Taylor.
Aston94
AG
Thunder18 said:

VAR gets one right. Would've been an incredibly soft PK

Of course Graham Lesoux thought it was a penalty.
Mathguy64
AG
Oh lord. Here comes the Slabhead.
Thunder18
AG
Hojlund gets his debut...but Martinez picked up an injury and now we get Tugboat Maguire
Aston94
AG
Aston94 said:

No McTominay or Maguire on the bench either.

Well guess I missed McGuire.
Mathguy64
AG
Antony just ran back to cover for Maguire, who was lumbering down behind.
Mathguy64
AG
Arteta just held the ball to give directions on a throw. Except it wasn't his throw.

So much for carding that this season.
Mathguy64
AG
Antony is gassed.
Mathguy64
AG
Garnacho for Antony is 15 minutes too late.

And Slabhead and Evans are now our CBs. Here we go.
Thunder18
AG
Garnacho is so much better as a super sub
Mathguy64
AG
Yeah. I thought it looked off live. Close but off.
Thunder18
AG
VAR giveth and VAR taketh away
Mathguy64
AG
Oh my god. What a horrible end.
byfLuger41
AG
Poop
Mathguy64
AG
Deflection.
Thunder18
AG
Maguire and Evans. Awful

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.