General EPL Discussion/Housery Thread

157,581 Views | 2554 Replies | Last: 55 min ago by jeffk
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
7nine
TXAggie2011
AG
KCup17
AG
Slather me in butter and sour cream cuz I'm a Spud today!
Texaggie7nine
PARK THE BUS!!!
7nine
Texaggie7nine
7nine
Mathguy64
AG
So it's all up to the fighting Tom Rennies. Yeah. Good luck with that.
jeffk
AG
Aston Villa secure a CL berth. Amazing turnaround there.
Showstopper
AG
Don't worry guys, David Moyes will definitely save the day!

(It would be a hell of an exit even if unlikely)
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
He's too good for your **** club.

wangus12
AG
When Mourinho, Conte and now your current manager bring up the mentality of the club over and over....

Ange will be gone by Christmas
Dre_00
I missed the game but my goodness…it's not just a couple of posters here. It literally is the vast majority of fans.
Throughout the game, chants of "Stand up if you hate Arsenal" rang around the stadium. When the game was lost for Spurs, the home fans sang "Are you watching, Arsenal?"

"Outside, inside, everywhere," Postecoglou said. "It's been an interesting exercise. It's my observations. You can make your assessment. I probably misread the situation. But that's OK.

"Maybe I'm out of step but I just don't care, I want to win. What other people, how they want to feel and what their priorities are, has zero interest to me."
Anyway, sorry Arsenal fans. You tried to tell us but I didn't want to hear it. What an embarrassing club.
deadbq03
AG
Rudyjax
AG
Premier League is voting to scrap VAR.

https://www.90min.com/premier-league-clubs-to-vote-scrapping-var-2024-25-season?utm_source=fotmob&utm_medium=share
TXAggie2011
AG
Rudyjax said:

https://www.90min.com/premier-league-clubs-to-vote-scrapping-var-2024-25-season?utm_source=fotmob&utm_medium=share
And if they get rid of it, I look forward to the vote to reinstate it after TV cameras show a bunch of offsides goals and missed penalties the first 2 or 3 weeks of next season.
Rudyjax
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Rudyjax said:

And if they get rid of it, I look forward to the vote to reinstate it after TV cameras show a bunch of offsides goals and missed penalties the first 2 or 3 weeks of next season.

Just let it play out. It's been proven that even with VAR they aren't getting it right 100% of the time.

I do think they should have goal line tech tho. Not sure if that is considered var.
Mathguy64
AG
GLT is the Hawkeye system and is totally independent of VAR. It's 100% automated. The Referee wears what looks like a watch and it buzzes when the ball crosses 100% over the line.
Aston94
AG
Man I hope they vote it out. Bad officiating calls are "rub of the green" and are understandable, but bad VAR decisions are just confounding. If they want to eventually add a second referee so there are more eyeballs on the action I would be fine with that, but a when a play in live action doesn't look ike a foul and only if you slow it down to milliseconds do you see a foul, those calls drive me crazy. Let's work on better training for referees and give them the independence back. So sick of linesmen not raising flags on obvious offside calls.

I agree that goal line technology would be fine to keep, simple "in or out" decision, but VAR has not lessened the controversy around decisions.
wangus12
AG
So all the theories about the refs ****ing it up on purpose so that they'll get rid of it were totally true lol.

**** the refs

FWIW, I don't see 14 teams voting to get rid of it which is the required number.
Dre_00
I doubt the newly promoted teams will vote it out. Championship doesn't have it and thus I'm sure that some of those clubs have been screwed by not having it (in their minds anyway). I think either Southampton or someone pointed out every occasion where VAR would have corrected an error and thus secured them automatic promotion.
deadbq03
AG
Even big clubs don't want to scrap it. I'm not sure how this even got to a vote.

Clubs hate seeing mistakes cost them money way, and no pencil-pusher is gonna count on the law of averages ensuring that mistakes end up benefiting them just as often.

Referees + VAR = far fewer mistakes than Referees alone.
Agthatbuilds
Get rid of it in all sports.

Var, instant replay, etc have ****ed up sports. They're no better than before such implementations and maybe are worse.

Let's go
TXAggie2011
AG
All sports? Strongly disagree. There's no reason why baseball fans should have to live with replays showing the umpires missed a home run or missed a tag, or why tennis fans should have to live with replays showing a serve was out.

I doubt any EPL club actually wants to go back to the old ways of nothing. This seems more like a way to try to force PGMOL/the League to get its **** together rather than a sincere desire to get rid of all of it.
Dre_00
Yep. It's like VAR came along and everyone's memory got wiped by that MiB pen and they think everything was sunshine and roses pre-VAR.

I'm old enough to remember the constant anger and discourse pre-VAR insisting that VAR was needed and that the referees needed help. The speed of the game had increased so much that it was impossible for 3 refs to succeed.
Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

Yep. It's like VAR came along and everyone's memory got wiped by that MiB pen and they think everything was sunshine and roses pre-VAR.

I'm old enough to remember the constant anger and discourse pre-VAR insisting that VAR was needed and that the referees needed help. The speed of the game had increased so much that it was impossible for 3 refs to succeed.
The idea of VAR was to take the human element out. But it hasn't taken the human element out, it has succeeded in taking the context of the game out. Looking at plays in slow motion from an office 300 miles away from the game is just giving you a different human's perspective.

We all complained and argued about calls before VAR, and we seem to do the same thing afterwards, I would just prefer someone who is on the pitch with the players to make the call.

I don't think VAR is going anywhere, but I would like for some revisions to be done.
YNWA.2013
I know it's easier said than done, but once offsides is automated (like goal line technology), I think it will make a huge difference in the perception of VAR. Like the full ball crossing the full line, offsides should be objective. Have a consensus on what the threshold should be (i.e. maybe a little more than a toenail) and you are either off or you're on. And the decision should be reached fairly quickly. None of this spending 7 minutes drawing lines and deciding which pixel is included
-FTA c/o 2013
Agthatbuilds
Compared to var times, pre var was sunshine and roses.

The game hasn't gotten better. People are still upset with referees. People are now also upset with var/instant replay and it's application.

It's an unnecessary drama and time suck that's been added to already broken up games.

It was better when poor referee calls were accepted and overcome instead of stopping g games down to check what is typically unseeable in the full speed version of the play.

A better option would be to hold officials accountable to their success and failure on the pitch.

A guy like angel hernandez should be pouring beer at the corner bar, not calling baseball games. Even then, it's a 50/50 shot he will hit the glass. We shouldn't need to upturn an entire system because most baseball umpires are right only 98% of the time.
jeffk
AG
VAR correctly overruled a bad penalty in the first half and then sent Reece James off for violent conduct here in this BHA-Chelsea game. Both good calls.

I'm pro-VAR… but it's been really bad this year. I doubt they get the votes needed to scrap it. Would love to see the offside checks automated maybe even with some sort of built in margin of error based on camera frame rate and video definition or something. And standardize the review process for everything else and hold officials accountable who screw it up.
Aston94
AG
NM
deadbq03
AG
YNWA.2013 said:

I know it's easier said than done, but once offsides is automated (like goal line technology), I think it will make a huge difference in the perception of VAR. Like the full ball crossing the full line, offsides should be objective. Have a consensus on what the threshold should be (i.e. maybe a little more than a toenail) and you are either off or you're on. And the decision should be reached fairly quickly. None of this spending 7 minutes drawing lines and deciding which pixel is included
Changing where the line is just moves the point of contention. A lot of folks think it ought to be full-body ahead… that just means when there's the tiniest of gaps between the bodies, it'll still get blown dead and piss everyone off.

The best VAR for offside is to have a live-action replay overturn a "clear and obvious error" - just like everything else VAR does. It should take 5 secs tops. If it takes longer, it's not obvious.
Mathguy64
AG
Just use the MLS model for offside on a monitor. Use the grass lines and if you can't tell, let it go. It's fast and nobody is *****ing either way. And you won't get mad at toenails either way.
deadbq03
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Compared to var times, pre var was sunshine and roses.

The game hasn't gotten better. People are still upset with referees. People are now also upset with var/instant replay and it's application.

It's an unnecessary drama and time suck that's been added to already broken up games.

It was better when poor referee calls were accepted and overcome instead of stopping g games down to check what is typically unseeable in the full speed version of the play.

A better option would be to hold officials accountable to their success and failure on the pitch.

A guy like angel hernandez should be pouring beer at the corner bar, not calling baseball games. Even then, it's a 50/50 shot he will hit the glass. We shouldn't need to upturn an entire system because most baseball umpires are right only 98% of the time.
Pre-var was also pre-social media explosion. Everyone who attends a game is a potential broadcaster of bad calls; and many of them live to stir up controversy.
Dre_00
I also think that we have a tendency to look at the EPL as the proof that VAR is horrible. But other leagues do it differently, do it better, and it doesn't have near the anger and drama surrounding it.

People are going to ***** no matter what. VAR will never solve that. But there's evidence it can be applied better and cause less complaining than it does now.
jeffk
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Just use the MLS model for offside on a monitor. Use the grass lines and if you can't tell, let it go. It's fast and nobody is *****ing either way. And you won't get mad at toenails either way.

Pleeeeeeease let me live to see a world where the English have to bring in Americans to train their officials on how to call their crown jewel sport correctly.
Mathguy64
AG
jeffk said:

Mathguy64 said:

Pleeeeeeease let me live to see a world where the English have to bring in Americans to train their officials on how to call their crown jewel sport correctly.

Well they sort of did that. Webb implemented the VAR system here and went home to do the same there.

The problem is the PL doesn't want referees to call a normal game. And PGMOL refs don't like telling their elders they are wrong.
jeffk
AG
Those last two sentences sum up pretty well why VAR sucked ass this season.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.