General EPL Discussion/Housery Thread

167,489 Views | 2667 Replies | Last: 12 hrs ago by jeffk
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Note to self: when traffic on the thread is waning, poke at Ronaldo.
jeffk
AG
Forum Troll said:

From the turtle himself, not that there was a whole lot of doubt this time.

So let's say City decides they want to break the bank for Mbappe. Who ends up with Haaland?
Showstopper
AG
In this hypothetical, which is unlikely to happen, Real Madrid would get Haaland. Outside shot for PSG.
Forum Troll
AG
The turtle is going to Spurs. Levy's been a tight ass all these years for this very moment.
ChipFTAC01
AG
So assuming he's at Madrid then does Vini go elsewhere?
Forum Troll
AG
I just assumed they'd play Mbappe centrally and keep Vini on the left.
Dre_00
jeffk said:

Yeah, I'm aware of the dearth of individual trophies at LFC.

So it's safe to say that you feel pretty good about bringing Ronaldo back to United in 2021 for the wages he cost you? I can tell Dre he doesn't need to keep that receipt?

Not particularly but let me tell you there are about 10-15 worse deals out there to pick on. I get Ronaldo is an easy target for valid reasons but there are much more fertile fields to sow.

Might I suggest the Antony Meadows, the Pogba Prairie, or the Fellaini Fields.
jeffk
AG
Spurs are gonna roll out their u-18s Tuesday to shaft Arsenal, aren't they?
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
jeffk said:

The can't if Liverpool takes care of business tomorrow.
Hey...so.. um
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

jeffk said:

We certainly can and I hope we do. As a spurs fan, I think Europa league would be better for us next year in the long run so run out our 3rd or 4th team against city and finish it up wit a result in match 38 for 5th.
jeffk
AG
Sure they could. Priorities!
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Hey...so.. um said:

jeffk said:

We certainly can and I hope we do. As a spurs fan, I think Europa league would be better for us next year in the long run so run out our 3rd or 4th team against city and finish it up wit a result in match 38 for 5th.

That explains so much about you and your club. Don't ever tell anyone you are a serious club ever again.
Dre_00
Hey...so.. um said:

jeffk said:

I promise you no one at your club agrees...least of all your manager.
Hey...so.. um

Hey...so.. um said:

jeffk said:

That explains so much about you and your club. Don't ever tell anyone you are a serious club ever again.

Don't pull that crap. It if were reversed, you would want to lose to city too. If the options are Arsenal win the league but spurs finish forth or Arsenal finish 2nd and Spurs finish 5th, I'm taking 5th all day in this rebuild. There is also a decent chance if we beat City that we still finish 5th. That is the worst case scenario.
deadbq03
AG
Man, just when I thought I was beginning to understand this sport, I find out I don't know anything.

Confession time - I used to think that it'd be way better to have double the guaranteed revenue from Champions League for the next year so you could bring in some quality transfers when trying to rebuild. How could I be so dumb?
jeffk
AG

Hey...so.. um said:

jeffk said:

yessssssssssssssss
Hey...so.. um
deadbq03 said:

Man, just when I thought I was beginning to understand this sport, I find out I don't know anything.

Confession time - I used to think that it'd be way better to have double the guaranteed revenue from Champions League for the next year so you could bring in some quality transfers when trying to rebuild. How could I be so dumb?

The difference in champions league vs europa league is 14m Euros guaranteed money. With the money that will be invested this summer, spurs have a legit shot to win europa league and no shot to win champions league. With incentives for winning europa, there is a pretty good chance that difference in pay is much less than 14m Euros.

Money isn't a big issue at Spurs right now. Having your biggest rival win the League would be much worse for the team and fan base than 1 spot in the PL.
Dre_00
Well that certainly is a take.

Given the new CL structure, even a modest CL performance will ensure a lot more money for the CL participant over the Europa League winner. A round of 16 appearance in CL next year will get you about double the money of winning the Europa League and that says nothing about the quality of player that you can attract with CL football as opposed to EL football.

Other than pissing you off and hurting your pride, how exactly is Arsenal winning the league bad for your team? Does the club lose money if Arsenal win? Lose players?

Hey, I get it. I absolutely do not want to see Liverpool or City win the league. Ever. (And yet here I am doing exactly that year in and year out...but I digress). But no way in hell would I ever want to miss out on CL just so that they don't win the league. Maaaaybe could understand if it was the difference between not making Europa Conference League or making Europa Conference League but that's about it.

But other than that, that's just loser talk.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Hey...so.. um said:

Hey...so.. um said:

jeffk said:

Don't pull that crap. It if were reversed, you would want to lose to city too. If the options are Arsenal win the league but spurs finish forth or Arsenal finish 2nd and Spurs finish 5th, I'm taking 5th all day in this rebuild. There is also a decent chance if we beat City that we still finish 5th. That is the worst case scenario.

I'll never have to worry about it being reversed.
KCup17
AG
Do west ham fans also want to bend over for City?
Mathguy64
AG
Emi Martinez forgot to put stickum on his gloves.

You hate to see it.
KCup17
AG
Mathguy64 said:

You hate to see it.

Do we really though?
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Hey...so.. um said:

deadbq03 said:

The difference in champions league vs europa league is 14m Euros guaranteed money. With the money that will be invested this summer, spurs have a legit shot to win europa league and no shot to win champions league. With incentives for winning europa, there is a pretty good chance that difference in pay is much less than 14m Euros.

Money isn't a big issue at Spurs right now. Having your biggest rival win the League would be much worse for the team and fan base than 1 spot in the PL.
This is so dumb.
wangus12
AG
KCup17 said:

Mathguy64 said:

You hate to see it.

Do we really though?
I love that he seems to score a few OGs a year. Dude is a great GK, but a huge ******
deadbq03
AG
Yeah I'm fairly neutral when it comes to teams… but there are some players I just can't root for no matter how talented they are… he's definitely on that list.
YNWA.2013
Pickford and Bruno are on the top of mine
-FTA c/o 2013
Hey...so.. um
KCup17 said:

Do west ham fans also want to bend over for City?

Does west ham have the same rivalry with Arsenal that Tottenham do?
Hey...so.. um

Hey...so.. um said:

deadbq03 said:

This is so dumb.

You can call it dumb but I would rather miss out on champions league than watch arsenal win the league. Simple easy choice.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Hey...so.. um said:

Hey...so.. um said:

deadbq03 said:

This is so dumb.

You can call it dumb but I would rather miss out on champions league than watch arsenal win the league. Simple easy choice.
No need to double down. We get it.

Again, you aren't a serious fan of a serious club at this point. You'd rather be relegated than have Arsenal win a championship. No wonder you guys haven't won *****
wangus12
AG
I look forward to Sheffield United knocking spurs out of the Europa league place as well.
Mathguy64
AG
This is glorious. I'm not sure who is deeper in despair.

Spurs fans who would rather lose and miss out on CL rather than see their most heated rival win the PL, or…

Gooners who have have a made up holiday called St Totteringham's day celebrating the day when their most hated rival is mathematically incapable of being ahead of them in the table, all begging Spurs to win.

Y'all need to get together for a group hug.
deadbq03
AG
It is official now though… Spurs are probably the best EPL analogy for Aggie Football fans. Or at least pre-SEC Aggie Football fans. "I'd be happy with 1-11 as long as the 1 is t.u."
TXAggie2011
AG
I daresay wanting to miss out on the most prestigious club tournament in the world so your rival doesn't win the league is at a level well above wanting your rival to win one match so you can (potentially) win the league
Dre_00
I was already rooting for Arsenal as the lesser of 3 evils but now I also want them to win just to piss loser Spurs fans off.

I honestly think Ange would punt a Spurs fan straight in the crotch if they told him that they wanted him to lose and miss out on CL football so that Arsenal can't win the league.
Showstopper
AG
FWIW, when we played Arsenal on the weekend I was absolutely hoping United won even though it would have handed the title to City. Our being bad took that conflict off the table of course, but I'm just saying.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.