General EPL Discussion/Housery Thread

167,390 Views | 2667 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by jeffk
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know! Pretty sucky.
Furlock Bones
AG
Congrats Newcastle. Officially in Champions League. Liverpool can only tie on points and Newcastle have the superior goal diff.

Edit: Officially unofficial. Newcastle could theoretically get destroyed in the last games and lose their goal diff. But I'm going to say this does it.
Mathguy64
AG
81% possession and losing 0-1.

Possession without penetration is masturbation.
jeffk
AG
Don't congratulate them.
deadbq03
AG
A crossover Bundesliga - EPL moment today:

Furlock Bones
AG
We play the Arrrrrsenal way.

Teacher_Ag
AG
Coming a close second to a team under investigation for many years of financial breaches which have allowed them to assemble an all-star team with depth, not a lot of shame in that. Wish we could have kept the race closer at the end but there isn't any denying that City have financed the best team by a mile.
jeffk
AG
It's interesting which stories about City's titles/dynasty mention any of the investigations or funding controversies and which don't.
ElCheAg
AG
DeangeloVickers
AG
FILO505
AG
Does it really matter, though? The Super League idea hasn't been thrown in the bin, despite every ounce of hope from actual fans. International financial supremacy football will continue to allow money washing investors, and they are/will ruin everything
jeffk
AG
Brighton secured a top seven finish today too.
Mathguy64
AG
I don't know where he goes. I don't particularly care where he goes. But CP10 had to get off this club. The fact that he can't sniff the pitch in a meaningless match against a City team playing an 2nd team while Chelsea look looks like they don't care is damning.
Mathguy64
AG
And Pep is proving he is willing to beat a dog that is lying maimed in the street.

He's now subbed on Cyborg, KDB and Rodri.
CrawlingNo5
AG
Mathguy64 said:

And Pep is proving he is willing to beat a dog that is lying maimed in the street.

He's now subbed on Cyborg, KDB and Rodri.

Youplaytowinthegame.gif

Mathguy64
AG
I just spit out my coffee.

Rebecca Lowe talking about City fans celebrating on the pitch: "they deserve it they have been there when the times were hard."

Yo Rebecca. I hate to break it to you. They haven't. No city fan was around when times were hard.
Ag Since 83
AG
If Dortmund can win the Bundesliga there's still hope for the rest of us.

I think.
Showstopper
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

If Dortmund can win the Bundesliga there's still hope for the rest of us.

I think.
I mean, I guess, but Chelsea couldn't beat the Man City JV team, so…
Texaggie7nine
Mathguy64 said:

I just spit out my coffee.

Rebecca Lowe talking about City fans celebrating on the pitch: "they deserve it they have been there when the times were hard."

Yo Rebecca. I hate to break it to you. They haven't. No city fan was around when times were hard.

There are 3 old timers in our Houston Space Citizens fro. UK who have been city fans all their lives.
7nine
Dre_00
Out of....?

I guarantee you each of those old timers slagged off United fans in the 90s for being "plastic" and "tourists". Amazing how a couple of billion dollars can completely erase principles held for decades.
jeffk
AG
It's cool. When the club eventually gets a slap on the wrist in like 2034, all the City fans will say, "that was like a millennia ago, has nothing to do with how successful we've been lately."
Texaggie7nine
jeffk said:

It's cool. When the club eventually gets a slap on the wrist in like 2034, all the City fans will say, "that was like a millennia ago, has nothing to do with how successful we've been lately."

Who is going to say spending money has nothing to do with City's success. Nobody cares about the stupid spending rules made to protect the old money teams?
7nine
jeffk
AG
It's totally normal to be obtuse about the whole thing in your situation. Natural reaction really.
jeffk
AG
Good read on the subject.

DeangeloVickers
AG
deadbq03
AG
The rules are the only way to keep state-ownership in check (assuming they actually get enforced).

A team like Barca can play money games in the short-term, but in the long run, they have to be solvent to survive. State-owned teams don't have to worry about that. That's the fundamental difference. It's an unequal playing field.

Even if City operated out of its own profits for a decade, the fact that they can always dip into the state coffers if they need to is what is unfair. They can spend without regard for long-term sustainability because their ownership is far more interested in political ROI than financial ROI.
GrapevineAg
AG
Nothing surprising about Astros fans defending Man City's cheating.
Dre_00
Funny to see Newcastle players celebrate qualification for the Champions League. Not because they shouldn't celebrate (they absolutely should) but rather because at least 5 of the ones celebrating likely will be replaced and never actually play in the Champions League.
Texaggie7nine
Puleez. You think the Yankees ever have to cut back? Are they state owned?

I mean, maybe you would have an argument if City was doing terrible with a waining fan base and they still were making huge purchases. Of course the most successful team in the past 5 years is going to be big spenders.
7nine
Showstopper
AG
Well there you go, guys, the City fan has done a thorough and unbiased audit of City's finances and determined all one hundred and however many violations are totally unfounded. I know I'll sleep better tonight.
ElCheAg
jeffk
AG
Brighton secure 6th place.
Dre_00
That game was a lot of fun to watch considering one team had zero to play for. Brighton are just really enjoyable to watch. Still have no clue how Everton beat them 5-1 at home.
Dre_00
Pretty sure this math checks out...

Unai Emery was hired on November 1st when Villa was loitering around the relegation zone. Since then, Villa have secured 46 points or about 2 points a game. If one assumes the same PPG ratio across an entire season, Villa finishes in 3rd barely behind Arsenal.

The point is what Emery has done midseason with players he inherited, at a club that is not top 6, is phenomenal. I assume Arteta will likely get manager of the year...De Zerbi likely will get some votes. But Emery absolutely deserves some votes as well.

And Stevie G really sucked at Villa. I mean Frank Lampard levels of suck.
jeffk
AG
Someone was saying that he'd basically ended any chance of Stevie G being given a head job next year and that's absolutely fair.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.