General EPL Discussion/Housery Thread

162,598 Views | 2603 Replies | Last: 17 hrs ago by Dre_00
ChipFTAC01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just watched the highlights and not the whole game but Rodri should be happy he plays in Uefa and not Concacaf

https://www.daveockop.com/latest-news/andy-robertson-hits-back-at-manchester-city-midfielder-rodri-after-post-match-comments/?fbclid=PAAab1WSC7ARmgo9tQKKzbW5o3wTGFr4o3FkVSYp3O6Pizl2f5Is4PWHRfUNU
Dre_00
Goodbye Brendan.
Aston94
AG
The decision making process on these firings is unreal to me. Just had 12 days off and then fire him after the first game back.

If you were so close to firing him then do it before the break and let the new manager have time to get the club ready for the last 10-11 games.

Leicester are my favorite to go down, and I doubt we will see them back in the EPL for a long time.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Aston94 said:

The decision making process on these firings is unreal to me. Just had 12 days off and then fire him after the first game back.

If you were so close to firing him then do it before the break and let the new manager have time to get the club ready for the last 10-11 games.

Leicester are my favorite to go down, and I doubt we will see them back in the EPL for a long time.

Yeah I see them being like Wednesday or Sunderland or Forest. A big-ish club that spends a lot of time wandering the wilderness.
ChipFTAC01
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Aston94 said:

Yeah I see them being like Wednesday or Sunderland or Forest. A big-ish club that spends a lot of time wandering the wilderness.

Derby
wangus12
AG
Still such an incredible story. They were a Championship club for a large part of the last 20th century. PL in the 90s, then all the way down to the 3rd tier in the 2000s. Got promoted and barely survived their first year in the PL only to go win the damn thing that next year as well as stay competitive for the last several while selling everyone.

I think if Vichai was still alive, they'd be better run from the top than they are now.
Mathguy64
AG
They are a mess right now. I'm not a huge fan of Rodgers but the club did him no favors this year selling off players and doing nothing to bring anyone in.
jeffk
AG
Their league title seems like it was 50 years ago.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Relegation is the best

A bottom table match in EPL is a terrific match.

Nfl, mlb, etc, etc, etc. Suck
Furlock Bones
AG
jeffk said:

Their league title seems like it was 50 years ago.

Don't think they will ever truly recover from their owner dying in the helicopter crash. His son is not nearly the businessman he was.
RockW1997
AG
Fernandez with another high boot and no call. Gets away with more crap and whines when he breathed on
wangus12
AG
If you play for Manchester (enter name), the rules are not the same.

Rodri should have been sent off yesterday as well.
GrapevineAg
AG
Howay the Lads! Howay the Toon!
Dre_00
Potter gone too
Dre_00
Nagelsmann to Chelsea might as well already be confirmed.
jeffk
AG
Dre_00 said:

Potter gone too

Crap, I was hoping they'd wait until after Tuesday to pull that lever.
Mathguy64
AG
Can we get a Bayern v Chelsea CL tie?
Dre_00
My God I didn't even think about that. We need a Nagelsmann hire and we NEED that to happen.
wangus12
AG
Pretty sure his buy out was like 30-50m which also counts against FFP lol.
ElCheAg
AG
GrapevineAg said:

Howay the Lads! Howay the Toon!

Yessir.
texagbeliever
Has their been a successful big 6 EPL club manager that came directly from a non big 6 EPL club in recent years? Genuine question i can't think of any.

Klopp, Pep, Fergie, Mou, Wenger, pellegrini all wouldn't count.

It seems like there is 1 Potter type hire/fire a year.
TXAggie2011
AG
Harry Redknapp at Tottenham?
Mathguy64
AG
Eddie Howe seems like he's headed on that path. Whether it's him, the influx of sovereign $$ or both, he seems to be headed there.

I think ETH has a chance.
Dre_00
texagbeliever said:

Has their been a successful big 6 EPL club manager that came directly from a non big 6 EPL club in recent years? Genuine question i can't think of any.

Klopp, Pep, Fergie, Mou, Wenger, pellegrini all wouldn't count.

It seems like there is 1 Potter type hire/fire a year.

Guess it depends a bit on your definition of success but I would definitely count Pochettino at Tottenham.

But also, big 6 clubs don't typically look at lower EPL clubs for their managers. United haven't hired from the EPL since Moyes. Chelsea hired, on average, a new manager every year for the last 10 years and only 1 has been from an EPL club (Potter...Lampard came from the freaking Championship). Tottenham has tried twice relatively recently...once successfully and once not so much. Arsenal haven't tried it in nearly 30 years.
texagbeliever
Good points. Guess it is rarer then I thought.

Eddie Howe will be interesting to see. I dont think he will play an open enough system to match the exciting play style ultimately demanded at a big club. Once mid and bottom level clubs treat Newcastle like a City/Arsenal and play for a 0-0 draw i think they will sputter. Maybe that is biased by their recent run of form though.
agdoc2001
AG
There is a difference between hiring an established manager from another big club and hiring an assistant. Arsenal took a tremendous gamble with Arteta who had never been the manager of ANY club, let alone a "big" one.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
JJxvi
AG
"Former player" is a totally different category. Also explains Lampard, and not EPL but like also Real Madrid grooming Zidane, and then making him manager, etc.
texagbeliever
I think more Arteta type hires should be the future. Established 2nd in command that sees the pressures and tactics needed to be successful at a big club. But also has the advantage of wanting to improve it because everyone wants to put their own take on it. In a way BHA kind of shows this. They lost Potter but can't really say they lost a beat even with losing Trousard.

You hire an established big club manager, then everyone knows the style and it can be figured out relatively quickly because there are tendencies to exploit. Mou, Conte, Teuchel. Pep is an exception but I'd argue the man city talent level has really been at another level compared to any other EPL club.
deadbq03
AG
Supposedly Potter has already turned down Leicester.

ChipFTAC01
AG
deadbq03 said:

Supposedly Potter has already turned down Leicester.

Probably a good call. Leicester's a mess and still likely going down. Don't get a second strike against you when you can just say Chelsea was just a fluke.
Aston94
AG
Wonder how that call went:

"Hello Graham, owners of the Titanic here. Yeah....we didn't put any navigation system on our ship, and the current captain has hit an iceberg...well the boat is sinking and we have relieved the captain of his duties. So, would you like to take over a sinking ship with no navigation system?"

"Uh, no."

"Well...okay, hmmmm, well, you sure?"

"Yes, I am sure. No I don't want the job."

"Well, okay, if you change you mind please let us know. We will be sitting here by the phone, hoping someone calls back, watching our ship sink."
Dre_00
agdoc2001 said:

There is a difference between hiring an established manager from another big club and hiring an assistant. Arsenal took a tremendous gamble with Arteta who had never been the manager of ANY club, let alone a "big" one.

I agree but that wasn't the original question so I didn't include Arteta.
gougler08
AG
Man Harry Kane is such a *****
Dre_00
He's an absolutely dirty player but his talent and the English press let him get away with it.

I mean Bruno Fernandes is an ass but imagine the response if he did what Harry Kane just did?
Ag Since 83
AG
Arsenal fans call this the "if that were Granit Xhaka...." effect

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.