Fall BASEBALL

34,184 Views | 161 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by HECUBUS
Foxo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is there a reason why Banks is at DH ? Injury?
Expert Analysis
AG
Do they scrimmage every wed, Thurs, and Fri?
dirkjones
AG
Scrimmage every week until the world series starts October 27.
Sandman98
AG
quote:
"Mr. JUCO All-World"
I'll do this again....

You sign a JuCo player then give him 6 at-bats, you're doing it wrong.
Fall practice is just that, practice. If you're going to mock that "one hit" let's be fair and mock the setting as well.
I'm not going to do this again (I hope),, but I'll let you continue. Who should lose at bats to see to it that Hinsley gets enough at bats to satisfy you? At what position(s)?
dirkjones
AG
Couldn't play him at 1st because that would have taken bats away from Lankford. Doesn't look like he is playing 3rd this fall and I believe he played some left field early last year. Realistically, he could have got some bats at DH but like most have said, he must have been in the dog house early last year. Hope he breaks out this year but looks like 1st or DH or back on the pine?
Doubleday
The list of DH candidates is pretty full depending on who plays LF and 1B...take your pick from GR, Melton, Maroney, Birk, Nau, Gideon...and those are just the returning players
Foxo
AG
Our prospects for a good fielding team look pretty slim.

I would note that although he is a big man that Hinsley played a little at second base for Brazos Valley and stole quite a few bases.
Doubleday
Are you watching the scrimmages? I would say the outfield could be somewhat of an adventure...but the infield with Taylor (3B), ALlemand (SS), McLendon (2B) and Nottebrok (1B) has looked very good. They've prob turned 10 DPs in the scrimmages and are very consistent. Allemand/McLendon combo looks good getting to a lot of balls up the middle. On the other hand, the other team's IF hasn't looked great.
Foxo
AG
No, I have not seen any of the scrimmages but I was thinking Melton, Birk, Allemand and Nottebrok.

And in the outfield, Moroney in left, who knows in center and Banks in right. Or maybe Banks moves to center with Taylor in right. Taylor needs to play somewhere.
dirkjones
AG
No way Banks is in CF. Looks like Choruby or Moss have been playing CF for the most part in the scrimmages.
dirkjones
AG
Would not be surprised to see Taylor in LF and one of the other big stick guys at 3rd.
ProudAg16
AG
quote:
No way Banks is in CF. Looks like Choruby or Moss have been playing CF for the most part in the scrimmages.

Yep. Banks is a good player, but he's not a centerfielder. Choruby and Moss, both, have showed great range so far this fall.
Foxo
AG
We need Moroney's bat.

Choruby is supposed to be fast. He played outfield this summer in Florida, but almost all the games in left.

Neither Moss nor Choruby have demonstrated a bat. Moss ended up riding the pine this summer in the TCL because he weighed more than is batting average. And he played mostly right field.
Jacob_House 27
quote:
quote:
"Mr. JUCO All-World"
I'll do this again....

Fall practice is just that, practice. If you're going to mock that "one hit" let's be fair and mock the setting as well.
I'm not going to do this again (I hope),, but I'll let you continue. Who should lose at bats to see to it that Hinsley gets enough at bats to satisfy you? At what position(s)?

You've got to earn your spot every day, week in and week out. A good fall will give you some benefit of the doubt but even come spring no one is inked in the lineup
Foxo
AG

• Jason Hutchins @HutchinsJason
    Pitching rotation for Wednesday- Long, Minter, Whiting, Woodmansee, Vinson, Chafin. Game time 3:00 pm
  • Pitching rotation for Thursday- Kent, Hendrix, Freeman, Ecker, Simonds, Martin. Game time 3:00 pm.
    Pitching roatation for Friday- Larkins, Stubblefield, Schlottmann, Hill, Deen, Gonzalez. Game time 3:00 pm.

• rallydawg
    AG
    No positions are set as JH has said. You fight for your position day in and day out and it is critical the players take advantage of their opportunities when they get them. If the player doesn't produce ( or gets in 'doghouse' for whatever reason, he may not get another chance for some time or at all if someone else is producing even marginally. some players may get a longer leash than others but for the most part coaches don't like anyone getting too comfortable with their positions and want them competing daily, sometimes to the detriment of team unity. I'm confident that the staff will have this group producing as well as they can..
    Gig 'Em Ags, Woof Woof
    Captain Pablo
    AG
    Hope you're right. We'll see
    Foxo
    AG
    I'm not as optimistic as I usually am. If we are a good team, I think it will come down to pitching and not position players. We'll see.
    Memphis 7
    quote:
    quote:
    "Mr. JUCO All-World"
    I'll do this again....

Then you dont sign a juco first baseman.
    Goose06
    AG
    We had a revolving door at 2b, 3b, lf and dh last year and you are going to tell me we couldn't find a place for Hinsley because everyone else was so good???
    Goose06
    AG
    As for center field, I was hoping we would try allemand there. Sounds like we have not even experimented with that?
    dirkjones
    AG
    Allemand in CF? Sounds like he has been doing really well at SS and you want to move him to CF?
    Goose06
    AG
    Well we have Logan Taylor who I would guess is one of our best 9 when healthy. I was hoping that Logan would prove to be equal or better defensively at SS as Blake and that we would then have the luxury of moving Blake to CF where we don't have a proven every day player who can both play a solid CF defensively and also be a day to day guy in the lineup. There were rumors we would try Blake in CF and I was hoping those rumors were true as it would help get the 9 best bats in the lineup without having to put a liability in CF (assuming Blake can play a good enough CF to not be a liability)
    Goose06
    AG
    With that said, I am very worried about our OF defense if we have Moroney and Banks manning the corners. Neither is a plus defender and Moroney is probably a minus defender. So with that, we may need to put our best defensive CF out there and live with them being a potential liability at the plate.
    dirkjones
    AG
    Looks like they are trying to move Taylor to LF or 3rd base this year. Made some great plays at short at times last year but seemed to have trouble making the easy play. Played most of the summer in the outfield also.
    dirkjones
    AG
    Sounds like Moss and Choruby both are playing a good CF so far. Hope at least one can produce at the plate. Agree about Moroney, think he will prob compete for dh with a plethora of players or be first off the bench to pinch hit.
    Hop
    Staff
    AG
    quote:
    With that said, I am very worried about our OF defense if we have Moroney and Banks manning the corners. Neither is a plus defender and Moroney is probably a minus defender. So with that, we may need to put our best defensive CF out there and live with them being a potential liability at the plate.

This will not be a strong defensive team. They may be solid and commit few errors which would be good. However, I don't see any plus-defenders at any position...guys that can take hits away. As I've said going back to last season, shortstop is my biggest concern. Allemand is solid and a gamer, but he's not a true SS and doesn't have a big arm. His turn is much better than Taylor's, but A&M finished dead last in the SEC in double plays and you have the same combo you used for the second half of last year. The biggest head scratcher of the offseason was not bringing in a good JUCO SS to compete for the job. I've seen the freshman SS from the Valley this fall. He looks serviceable, but I don't think he beats out Allemand.
    jdaniels
    Does anyone who has been watching the fall practice have an educated guess on what the spring line up and pitching rotation will look like?
    dirkjones
    AG
    Guess on rotation - Fri/Sat/Sun - Stubb/Long/Larkins
    TXAGBQ76
    AG
    didn't Stubb transfer?
    dirkjones
    AG
    Tyler Stubb is still here, Gandy went elsewhere.
    MMantle
    AG
    I don't attend scrimmages, all I know is what I've read here.

With the exception of catcher, most, if not all the players mentioned in this thread played last year,

Are there any incoming additions (JUCO, transfer, frosh) that have a chance to upgrade the talent level we had last year?
    TXAGBQ76
    AG
    Ah, thanks for straightening me out!
    Thisguy1
    quote:
    I don't attend scrimmages, all I know is what I've read here.

With the exception of catcher, most, if not all the players mentioned in this thread played last year,

Are there any incoming additions (JUCO, transfer, frosh) that have a chance to upgrade the talent level we had last year?

I know Blake Kopetsky transfered from Temple JC, but I think he may be hurt. I don't know how good of a year he had last year.
    dirkjones
    AG
    Blake has been in the lineup at least the last few weeks. Scheduled to play rf and lf today.

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.