Fall BASEBALL

34,166 Views | 161 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by HECUBUS
dirkjones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes, they sound pretty harsh at LSU. Especially by putting it in writing. Only 26 at bats and batting .269 for what should have been his senior year in high school, and didn't live up to expectations.
Mr.Ackar07
Maybe they meant didn't live up to expectations defensively?

He went 7 for 26. Had he gone 8 for 26, his average would jump from .269 to .308.
Foxo
AG
Friday practice

Jason Hutchins @HutchinsJason

2h2 hours ago

On the mound today will be: Schlottmann, Hendrix, Vinson, Gonzalez, Chafin & Deen. 3:00 pm start at OF@BBP.

Gonzalez and Deen ???
dirkjones
AG
http://www.caller.com/sports/high-school/baseball/bbclee-may-gonzalez_59309334

Lee May Gonzalez
dirkjones
AG
Clay Deen, transfer from Paris junior college

http://www.caller.com/sports/high-school/baseball/bbclee-may-gonzalez_59309334

http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/bsb/2013-14/div1/players/claydeenyajn
Foxo
AG
Gonzalez, a 2013 Caller-Times All-South Texas first-team selection as a senior second baseman for the Wildcats, made the move to shortstop in his lone Palominos season.

A&M plans to use Gonzalez as a shortstop and relief pitcher.

"They expect me to be (play) more shortstop," Gonzalez said. "Hopefully I can take over the everyday job and start every game at shortstop and then come out of the bullpen whenever they need me to. Shortstop is really something that I've done my whole life. I played some of it at Calallen as well. I always took ground balls there. "We always had some great teams there at Calallen and I just pretty much helped out the team where I could."

Gonzalez batted .333 with five home runs and 38 RBIs in his last season at Calallen and earned District 30-4A first team honors as a pitcher after posting a 12-2 record with 127 strikeouts.
jbr
AG
10/3/14,8:15 AMOn the mound today will be: Schlottmann, Hendrix,Vinson, Gonzalez, Chafin & Deen. 3:00 pm start at OF@BBP.
Foxo
AG
Scott Clendenin @txaggiebaseball

19h19 hours ago New ball has some carry, JB Moss hits 2 run bomb in 6th. His 1st AB went 399 to CF. Team has 7 HR in first 5 scrimmages.
ProudAg16
AG
So are the practices open or no??
ProudAg16
AG
3rd base gate is open
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
19h19 hours ago New ball has some carry, JB Moss hits 2 run bomb in 6th. His 1st AB went 399 to CF. Team has 7 HR in first 5 scrimmages

Good to hear
dirkjones
AG
Nottebrook with hr today and Gideon one hopped cf fence. Both against a good wind blowing in.
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
If I can make one suggestion:

-Anyone that lives close enough and can get out to the field, GO WATCH THESE GAMES!

I don't get it when it comes spring time and people are wondering why "Johnny High-School All- American" or "Mr. JUCO All-World" have limited at-bats or no innings pitched and there was a grand total of 3 people that went and watched the fall games. If you're able to catch more than a couple fall games, you'll know who deserves to play and who doesn't.

Again, I get that our fan base extends well beyond the city limits of B/CS, but make a point to get out and check these out and you'll be pleasantly surprised. Plus, the intensity in these games are great.

Thanks and Gig'em!

I assume you are referencing the Hinsley debates last season with the "Mr. JUCO All-World" comment. I did actually go out to Olsen last fall, and saw Hinsley bat clean-up for most of the scrimmages, and I saw him get the game-winning RBI in one of the fall series games.

I've been to one scrimmage so far, and I still think infield defense will be a concern with basically the same players...Nottebrok,Gideon, Melton, Hinsley on the corners and Allemand and Birk in the middle. the only newcomer that made some noise at the plate was the JUCO transfer from LSU who hit a homer off of Stubblefield in the 8-hole. Other than Allemand, not that much speed on the basepaths. Long and Stubblefield looked solid for their first outing. it looked like Stubblefield has added a couple of mph's to his fastball. Pitching should be improved.
Foxo
AG
Logan Taylor was not on the infield?

Here is the pitching for this week's practices.

Jason Hutchins
@HutchinsJason
3h3 hours ago Wednesday pitching rotation- Long, Minter, Whiting, Ecker, Vinson, Woodmansee. 3:00 pm start at OF@BBP.

Jason Hutchins @HutchinsJason 3h3 hours ago Roatation for Thursday: Larkins, Hendrix, Schlottmann, Chafin, Deen and Martin. 3:00 pm start at OF@BBP.

Jason Hutchins @HutchinsJason 3h3 hours ago On the hill Friday will be: Kent, Stubblefield, Simonds, Hill, Freeman and Gonzalez. 3:00 pm start at OF@BBP.
clendenin
AG
Taylor has played both 3B and LF in the scrimmages.

I think Allemand and Birk have the middle infield locked down at this point.
dirkjones
AG
Heard lots of errors on the infield last week, one team seemed to have more than the other but don't know which. Also heard Tyler Stub was rested last week with a sore elbow.
jkag89
Much of our defensive woes last year were primarily due to our middle infield being unable to turn the double play. It seemed almost every weekend that there was at least inning in which a possible DP was not turned that opened up a big inning. Make those plays and maybe we get out of the inning with a minimum damage, It had to be frustrating to the pitching staff throw the pitch that could get you out of trouble only for defense not being able to make the play. I think this hurt our team ERA more than anything else.
Doubleday
I doubt anyone has any position locked up after 3 weeks of fall practice. From what I've seen the infield will be solid but the outfield is a work in progress. Also predict the offense will be much improved but our pitching may not be as strong. Hopefully all the arms remain healthy and I'm proved wrong.
Ryan C. Whittenberg
AG
Haven't heard the name Patrick McLendon yet this fall. Any reason why?
Foxo
AG
Nor Banks, Choruby, Nau, Moroney.
Thisguy1
Has anybody heard anything about Kopetsky? I may have heard he was hurt. He's a local kid from Bryan, transfer from Temple.
rallydawg
AG
1st base service gate is usually open/unlocked. Get out and catch some scrimmages! Gig 'Em Woof Woof
ProudAg16
AG
quote:
Nor Banks, Choruby, Nau, Moroney.
Went last Friday to the scrimmage and Choruby was playing center and made a nice diving grab. Showed great speed tracking down the ball.
ProudAg16
AG
quote:
Has anybody heard anything about Kopetsky? I may have heard he was hurt. He's a local kid from Bryan, transfer from Temple.
He played on Friday and it confused me greatly because he is wearing 13 and also had the same walk-up song as Krey did. Don't remember him getting a hit.
Doubleday
Teams are split between Juniors/Seniors vs Freshmen/Sophs. From what I've heard and seen the Jrs/Srs have been pretty much having their way with the younger guys. Older infield 3B - Taylor, SS - Allemand, 2B - McLendon, 1B - Nottebrok is far superior defensively to the other side. Looks like this is by far the best defensive infield. When Taylor goes to LF, Notte goes to 3B and GR goes to 1B. Birk is a good athlete and a nice stick but a defensive liability at 2B. Maybe he would be better suited to the OF. They tried him in LF last year for a game or two but it didn't work out. Maybe he's been getting some more work out there recently...I don't know. I think our best OF options at the moment consist of Moss, Banks and then take your pick (Maroney, Birk, Taylor, ???).

Jacob_House 27
quote:
quote:
If I can make one suggestion:

-Anyone that lives close enough and can get out to the field, GO WATCH THESE GAMES!

I don't get it when it comes spring time and people are wondering why "Johnny High-School All- American" or "Mr. JUCO All-World" have limited at-bats or no innings pitched and there was a grand total of 3 people that went and watched the fall games. If you're able to catch more than a couple fall games, you'll know who deserves to play and who doesn't.

Again, I get that our fan base extends well beyond the city limits of B/CS, but make a point to get out and check these out and you'll be pleasantly surprised. Plus, the intensity in these games are great.

Thanks and Gig'em!

I assume you are referencing the Hinsley debates last season with the "Mr. JUCO All-World" comment. I did actually go out to Olsen last fall, and saw Hinsley bat clean-up for most of the scrimmages, and I saw him get the game-winning RBI in one of the fall series games.

I've been to one scrimmage so far, and I still think infield defense will be a concern with basically the same players...Nottebrok,Gideon, Melton, Hinsley on the corners and Allemand and Birk in the middle. the only newcomer that made some noise at the plate was the JUCO transfer from LSU who hit a homer off of Stubblefield in the 8-hole. Other than Allemand, not that much speed on the basepaths. Long and Stubblefield looked solid for their first outing. it looked like Stubblefield has added a couple of mph's to his fastball. Pitching should be improved.

Yes, Hop. Didn't take much to see where I was going there. That topic was beyond worn out and still is. Either way, one basehit that wins a fall World Series game doesn't buy you a spot in the lineup. Don't get me wrong, I hope he does well and can be a contributor. His the body of work before the spring will determine that and only time will tell.

What I'm most interested in seeing is if this years team can become more consistent either on the mound, in the field, or with the bat. Good teams will have 1 of 3, but the championship teams will have 2.

Also, very excited to see Coach Bolt will do with these guys.
Mr.Ackar07
Seems Larkins has been doing well, but has there been any word on our other freshmen like Bedford and Hill?
dirkjones
AG
Haven't heard anything about Bedford, not in the rotation this week. Hill has pitched a couple inning in both games. Didn't give up any runs in the first game, may have walked a couple. 2nd game gave up a couple infield singles, maybe a HR to Moss?, infield had a couple of errors.
Foxo
AG
Isn't Bedford a catcher? There are 18 pitchers in the rotation without Bedford.

Practice today at 3:00. Reports appreciated.

Jason Hutchins
@HutchinsJason
3h3 hours ago Wednesday pitching rotation- Long, Minter, Whiting, Ecker, Vinson, Woodmansee. 3:00 pm start at OF@BBP.
Mr.Ackar07
COrrect, Bedford was recruited as a catcher, or that is the position he played during the Perfect Game series.
Ryan C. Whittenberg
AG
Bedford is a catcher. But he is still easing back into activities from Tommy John surgery last year. Should be almost ready to go though.
Foxo
AG
Today's Lineup Courtesy of Jason Hutchins

Plowboys
Choruby 8
Birk 4
Banks DH
Gideon 5
Melton 3
Nau 2
Bedford 9
Gonzalez 6
Collins 7

Minter 3
Ecker 2
Woodmansee 2

Farmers
Allemand 6
Moss 8
White 7/DH
Nottebrok 5/3
Hinsley 3/DH
Taylor 9/5
Moroney DH/7
McLendon 4
Barash 2
Kopetsky DH/9

Long 3
Whiting 2
Vinson 2
Memphis 7
"Mr. JUCO All-World"
I'll do this again....

You sign a JuCo player then give him 6 at-bats, you're doing it wrong.
Fall practice is just that, practice. If you're going to mock that "one hit" let's be fair and mock the setting as well.
Foxo
AG
Today's pitching:

Jason Hutchins @HutchinsJason 3h3 hours ago Roatation for Thursday: Larkins, Hendrix, Schlottmann, Chafin, Deen and Martin. 3:00 pm start at OF@BBP.

Revised ... Hendricks, Chafin and Martin for Plowboys and Kent, Freeman and Deen for the Farmers.
clendenin
AG
The infield that had so much trouble at the end of the game last week was:

1B Brigham Hill (a pitcher)
2B Ryne Birk
SS Ronnie Gideon (was playing 3B)
3B Hunter Melton (was playing 1B)

Why was that the defense?? Plowboy starting SS LeeMay Gonzalez went to the mound to pitch the final two innings of the scrimmage.

The teams are split as far as players that could start next year and Junior-Senior vs Freshmen-Sophomore doesn't tell the story. Each team has six players that started games last year and three newcomers. Now two of the Farmer's newcomers are Barash and Boomer so that does skewer the Farmers in the level of the newcomers.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.