2016 NBA Free Agency

28,139 Views | 347 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Obi Wan Ginobili
Token
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:

lol it's an opinion from 2010. people's opinions change
Iowaggie
AG
Mavs get Barnes.
Spurs get Pau?
Bonfired
AG
quote:
It has to be GSW vs. Cleveland, doesn't it?

That'll probably be the matchup, but GS-OKC would be riveting TV, too.
Obi Wan Ginobili
Russ is going to put up 30 triple-doubles, the Thunder are going to be a 6 seed, and then Russ bolts for anywhere other than OKC next summer.
Iowaggie
AG
quote:
quote:

lol it's an opinion from 2010. people's opinions change
Agreed. My opinion of Kevin Durant changed.
Pahdz
Russ has always been my favorite anyway. Oh well, was a fun 8 years but GS? If he wants to be teammates with a choad like Draymond Green then I guess I didn't know who he really was.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Barring injury, looks like Golden State will almost certainly win the Western Conference and be in the NBA Finals again next season. nobody really in position to stop them in the west now, as they just considerably weakened OKC, San Antonio is on decline, and Clippers are going to clip.

Per my impressions they will have Curry, Green, Klay, Durant, and Iguodala for sure and let Barnes go (no loss there cause they just replaced Barnes with Kevin freaking Durant) and also Bogut.

Cause of losing Bogut, the one main piece the Warriors will need is a serviceable center. Just some serviceable bigs then good to go for NBA Finals at minimum.
Iowaggie
AG
T & Ps Pahdz.

But what happens if Westbrook takes of for LA or Miami next year?

Does Sooners or Cowboys basketball become relevant again?
Token
AG
I would equate Durant leaving to choosing to work for google and leaving your okay job. I love my job, but if google called me tomorrow, my ass is on the first plane to SF and signing on the dotted line. Everyone wants to be part of something they think is great. Durant chose to work at the Google of the NBA, and that's something i wish i could do
NoHo Hank
AG
quote:
Barring injury, looks like Golden State will almost certainly win the Western Conference and be in the NBA Finals again next season. nobody really in position to stop them in the west now, as they just considerably weakened OKC, San Antonio is on decline, and Clippers are going to clip.

Per my impressions they will have Curry, Green, Klay, Durant, and Iguodala for sure and let Barnes go (no loss there cause they just replaced Barnes with Kevin freaking Durant) and also Bogut.

Cause of losing Bogut, the one main piece the Warriors will need is a serviceable center. Just some serviceable bigs then good to go for NBA Finals at minimum.

Do they need a serviceable center? That's not obvious to me ha.
Matsui
AG
Who does gsw have to trade or release to make the salary work?
CFTXAG10
AG
Not likely, but if OKC met the Warriors in the playoffs next year and beat em it would be pretty effing sweet
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
Russ has always been my favorite anyway. Oh well, was a fun 8 years but GS? If he wants to be teammates with a choad like Draymond Green then I guess I didn't know who he really was.

From what I read, lots of smoke that Westbrook will likely want to go elsewhere after next season. That may have played a factor in Durants decision, if Westbrook was telling him that he was probably gone.

also Bill Simmons made a good point that if Durante wanted to play in GSW, this was maybe a 'now or never' situation because if GSW was then forced to resign Barnes plus Curry's huge deal coming then they would have no cap room next season for another Durant play.
BMX Bandit
So Durant admitted he's "Ask Jeeves" and wants to be a service tech for Google.

Bonfired
AG
It's entirely possible that we'll have a Finals matchup three-peat...that's never happened before.
Token
AG
quote:
So Durant admitted he's "Ask Jeeves" and wants to be a service tech for Google.

you get me
Pahdz
Yeah I am aware that Russ likely leaves next year as well (if we don't trade him first). I still have always been a bigger fan of Westbrook.

Also, KD was always class

Deluxe
AG
quote:
quote:

From what I read, lots of smoke that Westbrook will likely want to go elsewhere after next season. That may have played a factor in Durants decision, if Westbrook was telling him that he was probably gone.

also Bill Simmons made a good point that if Durante wanted to play in GSW, this was maybe a 'now or never' situation because if GSW was then forced to resign Barnes plus Curry's huge deal coming then they would have no cap room next season for another Durant play.
I think that's probably true. Also, the Woj report about Horford not wanting to sign with OKC because Russ/KD not staying long term supports that. Shame cuz I think the Thunder could still put together a nice team around Russ, Oladipo, Adams, Kanter and some cap space. But I suppose even if that team was good enough to earn a 3-seed in the west, they'd lose to SA or GS anyway. Oh well.
Forum Troll
AG
NBA should veto this.
WES2006AG
AG
The merging of KD t-shirt fans with Steph t-shirt fans may be the worst part of all of this. Their road games will be insufferable to attend for the home fans.
Matsui
AG
Can gsw sign curry for more when he is due?
Quinn
AG
Your current job is a little better than OKC. But yeah, the point stands. I think it's a perfectly fine decision. So many people base their view of a player on RINGZ but then give the player hell for choosing the best place possible to get RINGZ.
Deluxe
AG
quote:
Yeah I am aware that Russ likely leaves next year as well (if we don't trade him first). I still have always been a bigger fan of Westbrook.

Also, KD was always class

Agreed about KD. No hard feelings really. Just sucks.

Also, I think we should seriously look to deal Russ now. If he didn't have one foot out the door before, pretty sure he does now.
Iowaggie
AG
quote:
I would equate Durant leaving to choosing to work for google and leaving your okay job. I love my job, but if google called me tomorrow, my ass is on the first plane to SF and signing on the dotted line. Everyone wants to be part of something they think is great. Durant chose to work at the Google of the NBA, and that's something i wish i could do

You would take less money in the long run to work at google, and leave the company you basically built?

It would also be like leaving adidas or under armour to work at Nike.

CFTXAG10
AG
BMX Bandit
2017 championship odds:

GS -125
Cavs +300
Spurs +800
Iowaggie
AG
quote:
NBA should veto this.

No. This is free agency, not an NBA owned team servicing the Lakers.
suburban cowboy
AG
Sip gonna sip
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I think that's probably true. Also, the Woj report about Horford not wanting to sign with OKC because Russ/KD not staying long term supports that. Shame cuz I think the Thunder could still put together a nice team around Russ, Oladipo, Adams, Kanter and some cap space. But I suppose even if that team was good enough to earn a 3-seed in the west, they'd lose to SA or GS anyway. Oh well.
If Durant's choices were coming down to:

a) Play one more season in OKC but then Westbrook probably gone, and then KD has to go through all this free agency drama yet again, but this time he won't have an option to go to GSW any more because they won't have cap room having had to resign Harrison Barnes to a max contract plus the spectre of Steph Curry soon coming off his current contract to get some huge max deal. In the West in the final season with OKC next year, KD would still have to deal with getting through GSW.

or

b) Just go to GSW now while there is a window to do so (GSW can then let Barnes go bye bye and Curry is still playing for cheap). And by doing so in the same move Durant knocks out OKC as a major threat in the West thus making the West that much easier to get through.

You can see why he chose b). Not that a) would have been illogical either, but you can understand the thought process by Durant. If he wants a ring.

TajMaballer
AG
Russ is about explode next season.. Can't wait for the monster games he has... while going 41-41
CFTXAG10
AG
And the jersey burning has commenced....

ATM9000
AG
Trader lol
Bulldog73
AG
It's only a two year deal with a player option after one... So much for him not wanting to go through all this again any time soon.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
And the jersey burning has commenced....

Free Agenter
Token
AG
quote:
It's only a two year deal with a player option after one... So much for him not wanting to go through all this again any time soon.
you don't understand how the salary cap escalates next year? He'd be an idiot to leave money on the table in 2017

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.