2016 NBA Free Agency

28,117 Views | 347 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Obi Wan Ginobili
Token
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Marc Stein ESPN
Tressels Vest
AG
See the max mention now. How awful. Freaking Mavs.
Iowaggie
AG
quote:
The announcement of Horford to the Celtics officially has me freaking out about Durant now

Sorry Pahdz, but I can't say I would cry if Durant heads east, but I will be disappointed if he stays in west.
Iowaggie
AG

Iowaggie
AG

Seven Costanza
AG
We're reaching a point where there's not a ton of difference between the D-league guy making nothing and NBA scrub making $10MM/year.
Guitarsoup
AG
Matsui
AG
The nfl pa needs to borrow the nba pa attorneys.
Iowaggie
AG
..and on the next day, Sherman and crew would blow a 1st half lead to lose to Okie State...
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
The nfl pa needs to borrow the nba pa attorneys.

Mike Conley 150 million dollars guaranteed

Von Miller 39 million dollars guaranteed
Bonfired
AG
Nm...missed it earlier in the thread
Diet Cokehead
AG
It is pretty crazy how much NFL players get screwed compared to the other 2 big sports. The NFL makes by far the most money, but their players get beat to **** and have lifelong issues, yet they make way less and have non guaranteed contracts. NBA and MLB contracts are fully guaranteed and half the players in those sports sit on their asses half the time and are getting $20M a year.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
It is pretty crazy how much NFL players get screwed compared to the other 2 big sports. The NFL makes by far the most money, but their players get beat to **** and have lifelong issues, yet they make way less and have non guaranteed contracts. NBA and MLB contracts are fully guaranteed and half the players in those sports sit on their asses half the time and are getting $20M a year.

15 man rosters vs 25 man rosters vs 53 man rosters.

The money adds up.

As a general discussion topic I agree completely. I've always been baffled by the non guaranteed contracts in the NFL and how pathetic they are in comparison to the 2 major sports but so far, they haven't been able to do anything about it.
Token
AG
quote:
53 vs 15. Supply is vastly different. The NFL comparison that the pundits try to make is so stupid
Diet Cokehead
AG
The NFL also probably brings in 3-4x times as much money as those other leagues though.
Max Power
AG
Wrong, 16 games vs 82 games vs 162 games.
2008and1
AG

Number of games doesn't matter. It's all about the TV money.
Pahdz
Kevin Mawae made a post about the differences in the NFL and the other leagues. It's not as bad as you think.

BMX Bandit
quote:

Huh?

The revenue split for individual players isn't based in games. It's based on roster spots.
True Anomaly
AG
quote:

Which is why, in a hypothetical situation where one could choose the sport they excel at, why would parents steer their children towards football instead of baseball or basketball?
Diet Cokehead
AG
quote:
LOL....you clearly know nothing.
Token
AG
quote:
quote:

Which is why, in a hypothetical situation where one could choose the sport they excel at, why would parents steer their children towards football instead of baseball or basketball?
because football allows average sized men to make a **** ton of money. 5'11 isn't getting you into the NBA unless you're an elite shooter, ball handler. You can be a HOF player in the NFL at many positions at that height. There's only 450 roster spots in the NBA, and they want freak athletes
Iowaggie
AG
Maybe a better comparison would be to see how much the owners are pocketing in the NFL vs the NBA after all expenses are paid for stadium upkeep, staffs, and other expenses .

My guess is NFL owners are making millions more, and not even that close, but that is purely a guess.
Guitarsoup
AG
NBA players get 51.5% of total basketball-related income.

The NFL has ~13 Billion/year in income. 50% of that divided by 32 teams would be $203,125,000 salary cap. THe NFL Salary Cap is ~155mm.
Diet Cokehead
AG
The NBA players association (and apparently MLBPA) does a great job of negotiating. Sounds like the NFLPA needs to step up their game and strike (not that I want to see that happen) because they would really have the NFL owners by the balls.
Iowaggie
AG

Ulrich
This is looking like a good year to keep your powder dry. Too many teams are spending all their newfound space on one player.

I realize the cap has gone up, but it didn't double. Bazemore is worth 10-12, not 18. Conley is good, but not 30 million a year good. I like Pau, but no 36 year old is worth 20mm. Parsons wasn't worth the max when the Mavs first signed him and he's not worth that much money now.
2008and1
AG
Too much Durant to GS chatter going on for my liking. If Durant doesn't pick SA (homer) the. I hope he stays in OKC or goes to BOS.
superunknown
AG
Something called Tyler Johnson got 4/50 from the Nets.
Token
AG
quote:
This is looking like a good year to keep your powder dry. Too many teams are spending all their newfound space on one player.

I realize the cap has gone up, but it didn't double. Bazemore is worth 10-12, not 18. Conley is good, but not 30 million a year good. I like Pau, but no 36 year old is worth 20mm. Parsons wasn't worth the max when the Mavs first signed him and he's not worth that much money now.
player is worth whatever a team decides to pay him. That's how you do valuations
Token
AG
Jamal Crawford got 3/42M from clippers. Good for him
Iowaggie
AG
quote:
Too much Durant to GS chatter going on for my liking. If Durant doesn't pick SA (homer) the. I hope he stays in OKC or goes to BOS.

Agreed, except for that Spurs option part.

With Horford there, it would be nice to have a 2nd strong team in the East besides whatever team LeBron is on.

GS would be devastating the league, unless he did a 1 & 1, which forced them to clear the deck to sign him this year, and he could bail on them next year.

I still think he does a 1&1 with OKC. IF GS, I don't think his rep would take a hit, but I also don't think it would grow, either.
Diet Cokehead
AG
quote:
****, that's a bargain in this market. He's more deserving than most of these scrubs.
Iowaggie
AG
quote:

Sounds like dad likes him more than me [/Austin Rivers]
Ulrich
Lots of teams suck for decades because their valuations are wrong.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.