Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Advice on taking (<1 year old) son to first game

8,702 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by wbt5845
unf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Might be terrible mistake to post this in the zoo, but I'm curious to know if anyone here has taken very young kids to a game and what advice you have. He's a 4th generation Ag, and it's a tradition to go the first season.

Plan on getting earmuffs for him and of course a dreaded clear bag.
ScoutBanderaAg956
AG
Nuts
Drum5343
AG
Obligatory

Don't.
SARATOGA
Don't. Stay home and watch on TV.

(I'm biased - I'd say the same thing to anybody who doesn't have a Founders Suite)

GetThoseKeysMilo
Well obviously if you go ear protection is a good must. But don't plan on watching the game, and plan on annoying a lot of people around you.
Matsui
AG
terrible idea

do you take him in the sun and heat now for 4-5 hours with no breaks or naps?
jpc08
AG
For you're reading pleasure:

http://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2763532
http://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2780836
http://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2051606
http://texags.com/forums/5/topics/1917946
http://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2295384
http://texags.com/forums/5/topics/1891931
http://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2775200

Drum5343
AG
quote:

Plan on getting earmuffs for him and of course a dreaded clear bag.

Also, do no put your son in a plastic bag.

HTH
Matsui
AG
if you must, get zone club or suite tickets
stay home or leave him at the tailgate while you go in

can you sit with him in front of the TV for 4 hours
AgTrip
InnerCityAg
They must be in a clear bag and you are limited to 1 on most days, but 2 if its really hot outside.
Gigemags382
AG
quote:
They must be in a clear bag and you are limited to 1 on most days, but 2 if its really hot outside.
GoneGirl
AG
And if it's a really big bag, get it its own seat.

Seriously - those rows are narrow and no-one wants to have to navigate over a giant diaper bag when carrying a pizza and a drink.
KW Driver
I have, it was miserable for me and him. Oh, and he requires his own ticket for something he doesn't give two ****s about.
Bifferton Bobber Squat
AG
Oh geez here we go again....

Did you not read the previous threads on this topic where everyone told OP he was an idiot?
GoneGirl
AG
DadAG10
babysit
play
verb babysit \b-b-sit\
Popularity: Bottom 50% of words
Simple Definition of babysit
  • : to take care of a child while the child's parents are away
Source: Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary
Iowaggie
AG
Take him to a HS football game the night before (if you really want to take him to a game), and then maybe to pregame activities outside the stadium before the game. Get your Facebook pictures taken then.

He will enjoy his Saturday much more at home where he is able to move around and not be in a fb stadium.
swc93
AG
Make damn sure he stays off the wood!
wesag
AG
Nope
Crazytom11
You want to expose your baby to 100,000+ germ carrying individuals. Have fun not only at the game but the week after when they are sick.

Also, if it is a tradition shouldn't you have plethora of advice and experience to call upon rather than the zoo?
AggieDruggist89
AG
Only a selfish mofo would do such a thing.

It serves no good purpose for the baby, you, and people around you.

Just stay home.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I'll try to take a little jerk out of a response, as a father of 6.

For your sake, the sake of the kid, and the sake of everyone else, the advise on here is correct. Save it unit they are about 6. They will not enjoy the game before then, they will keep you from enjoying it, and they will probably impact people around you.

Appreciate your enthusiasm, and your desire to instill it in your kids. But as my oldest have grown, and my younger ones are coming up, I realized I started EVERYTHING with the older ones too young.
unf
AG
quote:
You want to expose your baby to 100,000+ germ carrying individuals. Have fun not only at the game but the week after when they are sick.

Also, if it is a tradition shouldn't you have plethora of advice and experience to call upon rather than the zoo?

Kyle Field has changed a lot since then.
Rydyn
AG
Echo all above.

My kids were huge football fans. I still didn't take them until they could prove that they could watch an entire game without getting up off the couch. I think they were about 5 and 7 before we went.

It was the Fresno State deadly hot triple overtime game. I'm proud to say they made it to the last second and outlasted most of new army.
schmendeler
AG
The kid gets nothing from this. You get to tell people he went to his first game under age one. Pretty awesome, I know, but it doesn't really impress anyone.
unf
AG
quote:
The kid gets nothing from this.

Only reason I would bring him is so he would know he was there for his first season when he's older.
deadbq03
AG
Just took my oldest to his first game this season. He's 4 and was still way too much of a handful. Luckily we were at the PV game so it didn't matter... We were able to switch seats to high on 3rd deck student side where we literally had the whole row for him to run up and down. And we left early, guilt free.

I can't imagine taking a small child to a packed game against a team that actually matters.
BR0
quote:
Obligatory

Don't.

It's obligatory because it's the 100% correct answer.
Lone Stranger
In the old days when half the stadium was empty for an U La La or other directional team it was OK. Today....not so much.
dustytool
Terrible idea. You will hate the experience and regret it the second of kick off
AgPops
My first question - Are you in good health? If not this would be the only reason to take a child. Do you take him to church or the movies? I love my great granddaughters but at that age, I would just say no.
gigem70
AG
Plan on leaving game early, like halftime.
13B
Just say no!
8T2
quote:
quote:
The kid gets nothing from this.

Only reason I would bring him is so he would know he was there for his first season when he's older.
He'll likely end up going to Texas, so he won't care what he did at 1 in Kyle Field.

Sad, but true.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.