Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Few questions for bringing a first time Ag to UCLA

3,819 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by (Removed:11023A)
Sandman23
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am planning on taking the wife and daughter (Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2036) to their first A&M game this weekend. My daughter is 2 so I know the odds of making it through the entire game are relatively slim, so the only way it will work is if I can find tickets on gameday for super cheap. (Will keep an eye on Flash Seats as I have heard that is my best bet).

Daughter does pretty well sitting through movies, etc. but I wanted to get the advice of some veteran parents on what has worked to keep the little ones entertained throughout the game. Are we allowed to bring board books/coloring books into Kyle? I haven't made it back to town for a game in a few years, so am not well versed on the current stadium policies.

Any other advice/tips are appreciated. I am planning on taking her to see the march in and going to check out the family zone area pre-game as well as hitting a number of friends tailgates. She LOVES music and her poppy was the A&M Band Director for a time back in the 90's, so I can't wait to see her face when she sees the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band. Even if we don't make it to the game, that alone will be worth it.

Tips and tricks are greatly appreciated. Thanks and Gig 'Em!
Sex Panther
AG
Frederick Palowaski
AG
quote:

Daughter does pretty well sitting through movies, etc. but I wanted to get the advice of some veteran parents on what has worked to keep the little ones entertained throughout the game. Are we allowed to bring board books/coloring books into Kyle? I haven't made it back to town for a game in a few years, so am not well versed on the current stadium policies.

Frederick Palowaski
AG
Dammit, SP
Tursiops93
AG
Ear protection!!
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
mccag
S
No tips or tricks needed with any of mine over the years. Took each and every one of them (3 girls, 1 boy) to their first games at around two or three and they were so in awe at all the activity going on around us that they stayed interested. Until they went to sleep of course. Ear protection is good advice! Good luck and have fun!
kac1749
My entire family made it to the Nevada game last year. My Wife and I, 10 and 8 yr old sons, 5 and 2 year old daughters. The music, the noise, all the people, and the yelling kept her pretty entertained for the first half. She loved the band also. Got her a McAllister's sweet tea and bag of popcorn for the second half and we made it through the entire game! Good Luck.
ahlongslide
AG
AGinHI
AG
AggieOO
quote:
Ear protection!!
meh, Josh Rosen doesn't think it'll be loud.
Tursiops93
AG
quote:
quote:
Ear protection!!
meh, Josh Rosen doesn't think it'll be loud.
But we know he's an idiot.
p-wonk01
AG
Please note the new plastic bag policy before you pack anything for you or your child.

http://12thman.com/sports/2016/6/6/clear-bag-policy.aspx
Post removed:
by user
dcAg
Snacks!
suburban cowboy
AG
Aggielandma12
AG
I would either

1. not go to the game and just take her to all the pregame activities, kids yell practice, spirit walk, band march in, etc. or

2. do all the pregame stuff with them , then kiss your wife and daughter and tell them you will see them in about 4 hours.

millertyme
AG
Aggie grandma knows what's up
Sandman23
AG
To the legitimate tipsters:

Thanks! Ear protection is a solid and I am on board with grandma's plan.

To everyone else:
Love ya.
peace
S
If you do not get tickets, try the MSC Flag room for multiple TV's showing games AND IT IS COOL. Or, the AFS bldg. which has a lot going on as well, to help keep your 2 year old happy!!! Hope it works out well for you, whatever transpires.
One Tooth Man
For the love of God, no kids under 5 have any business being at a sporting venue with more than a few people present. Its dangerous, a waste of money, and annoying to everyone else. Father up!
Aggie
AG
quote:
I am planning on taking the wife and daughter (Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2036) to their first A&M game this weekend. My daughter is 2 so I know the odds of making it through the entire game are relatively slim, so the only way it will work is if I can find tickets on gameday for super cheap. (Will keep an eye on Flash Seats as I have heard that is my best bet).

Any other advice/tips are appreciated. I am planning on taking her to see the march in and going to check out the family zone area pre-game as well as hitting a number of friends tailgates. She LOVES music and her poppy was the A&M Band Director for a time back in the 90's, so I can't wait to see her face when she sees the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band. Even if we don't make it to the game, that alone will be worth it.

For the sake of people who paid good money to attend a football game.. Don't bring a 2 year old. People are there to attend a football game not a daycare Complete with coloring books.

Sandman23
AG
quote:
quote:

For the sake of people who paid good money to attend a football game.. Don't bring a 2 year old. People are there to attend a football game not a daycare Complete with coloring books.

Your point is well taken, which is why I adhere to the same policy at sporting events as I do with movies/malls/stores/etc. As soon as my daughter becomes a burden or a distraction to those around me, I remove her from the situation. I don't expect any of my surrounding Ags to help entertain or watch her, and if she is bored/hot/hungry or causing any sort of disturbance, we simply pack the bags and head back to the house.

But if she can join her father to an event they both enjoy, and she gets a kick out of seeing the spectacle, the noise, the band, then why shouldn't I bring her?
Sandman23
AG
quote:
For the love of God, no kids under 5 have any business being at a sporting venue with more than a few people present. Its dangerous, a waste of money, and annoying to everyone else. Father up!
*eyeroll*
dcbowers
AG
Why not just watch the UCLA game on TV from home and take the family to the Prairie View game next week?

1. Tickets will be much cheaper (maybe even free).
2. Stands will not be as loud
3. The Prairie View Band may be the most entertaining part of the entire game.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sandman23
AG
quote:
Why not just watch the UCLA game on TV from home and take the family to the Prairie View game next week?

1. Tickets will be much cheaper (maybe even free).
2. Stands will not be as loud
3. The Prairie View Band may be the most entertaining part of the entire game.
Work schedule has it so this is one of the few weekends I can make it down to CS.
sportsfreak1975
How does the kiddo do in the heat? 2:30 games can drain a little one pretty fast.

Sandman23
AG
quote:
How does the kiddo do in the heat? 2:30 games can drain a little one pretty fast.

Usually pretty well. We've been to Ranger games, soccer games, etc. but obviously at the first sign of any issues, we are out.
Triad
AG
quote:

The best bet would be to leave it in the sun for the day tomorrow to test.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
Ditto on some ear plugs for the little one. Other than that, the entertainment is constant. We haven't had any issues with ours 3 to 7. Other than they want concessions often....
Tmoneyag99
AG
quote:

We took our son to the ASU game last year at 18 months. I would say plan on trading off with your wife playing with her on the concourse.

We spent most of our time on the concourse and I am so thankful for all the other Aggies that played with him and helped me keep him entertained. My husband and I discovered everytime I watched the Game the Aggies would mess up. So I was banned from our seats. But before that we would trade of Offensive and Defensive positions.

Oh yeah and we used the waxy/silicone ear plugs for him.
Ags06Win
AG
My son is now 4... He has been to every Home Game except 1 since he was born.

A few tips.... Attend the Corps March... and visit the MSC, easy to keep cool!

1) Strollers are "not allowed"... but they will let you put them over to the side when you walk in. I highly advise doing this. We would always take ours, leave it, and then pick it up from the same spot at the end of the game. Aggie Spirit... No one Steals!

2) We brought a blanket... Our son at 6-8 months would sometimes fall asleep during the game, and we would let him lay "off the wood".... Not happening now of course! He has slept at Kyle Field, Gerald Ford, Amon Carter, McLane Stadium, Royal-Memorial, to name a few...

3) During the "HOT" games my wife did spend some time in the concourse.. Guess I am very lucky! We never traded off. Son's favorite part was hearing the "Aggie Band" & "Johnny Football"

You couldn't pry him away from his seat now!

4) Ear plugs are a great idea... Our seats have been very close to the cannon! It is a MUST!

We will be there on Saturday with 4 year old (Class of 2035) in tow, and Class of 2039 in the oven! Gig'em!
Cancelled
AG
Lol taking a 2 year old to the game. I took my 6 year old one time and that was miserable and had to leave in the 3rd. A 2 year old in September heat. Ughh. I will agree with other posters: take them to the pregame festivities and tell them you will see them later. Grab an Uber to the hotel.
FriendlyAg
Why not just get a babysitter? She isn't going to remember the game. She is 2.
Joan Wilder
AG
Its going to be very hot Saturday. Even the best kid is going to be cranky and want to get up 1000x per game which is not fair to the people around you. This is a big game and people want to yell and enjoy it. I used to dread hot games simply for the number of times I had to let the 5 kids on my row in and out to get their *%%+# dipping dots 20x per half.

Do all the pre game activities and then watch the game with the kid at the MSC in the air conditioning. There are couches for naps too. You'll get the pics of the kid in Aggieland and they'll enjoy it. The kid won't remember the game anyway.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.