Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Put it back!

147,289 Views | 957 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by S.A. Aggie
Ol Jock 99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

FB it, tweet it, insta-thingee it, pin-crafty it.

#savethecannon

Images better for posters and such:

Stewade
Staff
AG
quote:

POTD it.
2006EE
AG
quote:
quote:

POTD it.
farmer2010
Pooh Ah
AG

Thank you Fitch for the image.
Capt. America
AG
POTD
[img]http://i.imgur.com/SGWAsbY.png[/img]
SwigAg11
A is A
MROD92
LGBFJB
DallasAg10
AG
What's happening? Can't find any reliable info.
BQDAD08
Aggie Infantry
Fitch
AG
quote:

Basically the cannon will be taken away from game day activities because of bureaucratic pressure from a small number of people calling the shots. It has not been said that way, but there has been a slow erosion of the ability to fire the cannon, and waiting until after the season will be too late to get a change in.

The noise of "this season only" is misleading. This has been fixed and planned since the beginning. It was only changed in the days leading up to the Lamar game. It has completely pulled the rug out from under the cannon handlers, and the parties making those decisions won't even say it publicly or claim it's their decision.

It's unacceptable that another tradition can just be tossed aside.

Netbreaker
Aggielandma12
AG
That's what she said.
InnerCityAg
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:
quote:

POTD it.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
quote:
quote:

Basically the cannon will be taken away from game day activities because of bureaucratic pressure from a small number of people calling the shots. It has not been said that way, but there has been a slow erosion of the ability to fire the cannon, and waiting until after the season will be too late to get a change in.

The noise of "this season only" is misleading. This has been fixed and planned since the beginning. It was only changed in the days leading up to the Lamar game. It has completely pulled the rug out from under the cannon handlers, and the parties making those decisions won't even say it publicly or claim it's their decision.

It's unacceptable that another tradition can just be tossed aside.

I hate to see it gone, but where do you propose they put it?

It seems, officially at least, like they tried to incorporate it. Neither cannon can be inside, so they tried the bigger one outside expecting that to work. It was a hazard to people anywhere near that corner of the stadium, so they can't put it there.

The current construction of the towers was not engineered to deal with cannon fire.

Seems to me like there was no choice.
ag92tx
quote:
I hate to see it gone, but where do you propose they put it?

It seems, officially at least, like they tried to incorporate it. Neither cannon can be inside, so they tried the bigger one outside expecting that to work. It was a hazard to people anywhere near that corner of the stadium, so they can't put it there.

The current construction of the towers was not engineered to deal with cannon fire.

Seems to me like there was no choice.
Pooh Ah
AG
quote:
Seems to me like there was no planning.

FIFY. There is still time.

#SaveTheCannon
Frenchy
AG
There is always a choice. It just takes the ability to clearly identify and overcome the hurdles. This can be fixed. The real question here is why our leadership doesn't appear to want to fight for this tradition.
ProudAg16
AG
#SaveTheCannon
BostonAg74
It seems to me that those who wanted to incorporate the cannon into the stadium design should have gotten involved during the planning stages and not waited to throw a tantrum after it was too late to change things.
bgrimm05
AG
Engineered to deal with cannon fire? You realize the shoot blanks, right?
Ol Jock 99
AG
If Populous is told "this is priority, make it happen", I have zero doubt that it will be done.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
To me, the best place would be a platform on top of the gigatron.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
quote:
Engineered to deal with cannon fire? You realize the shoot blanks, right?

The walls are too high, it traps the sound and makes firing from the towers impossible without constructing a tall platform.

So, the towers weren't engineered to deal with cannon fire.
ProudAg16
AG
quote:
This may be right, but there is still one tower yet to be built. Built that one in a way that it can withstand the cannon fire.

Put the cannon on the new NW tower.
InnerCityAg
quote:
It seems to me that those who wanted to incorporate the cannon into the stadium design should have gotten involved during the planning stages and not waited to throw a tantrum after it was too late to change things.

Do you think the stadium is finished? What a dumbass response.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Like I have stated before, if they can fire it in Jerry World, Where they have two worry about shattering glass, I don't see why they can't bring it inside the stadium and change the load of powder in each shell. This was the higher ups not wanting to do this anymore.
ag92tx
Why would people whine about this when obviously this season nothing will be done?
Fitch
AG
This isn't totally accurate.

The calc's showed several ways to place it on the exterior east and keep it safe for pedestrians. The corner location wasn't plucked out of the air, ithad serious thought and testing and was a go until days before the game when the Corps was informed that the plan had to change.

No one has offered a reason why the two massive lawns on the east side, which are many times larger than the old firing area inside the stadium, are unviable.

No official has offered a definitive explanation and attached his name to it. There was word earlier this week that possible complaints from the Southgate neighborhood have had an influence on the removal.

Its an untenable situation that needs some light shed on it if for no other reason than the A&M base was promised at the start of the stadium renovation that the cannon would not be lost and now anonymous parties are trying to back out of that promise.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
quote:
quote:
This may be right, but there is still one tower yet to be built. Built that one in a way that it can withstand the cannon fire.

Put the cannon on the new NW tower.

When I ask "where do you propose they put it?", I'm saying that there's no solution that will put a cannon in, on, or around Kyle by Saturday.

Of course there's still opportunities for next year. What indication does anyone have that decision makers are not already planning on something?
BostonAg74
I can't imagine a solution that would not result is significant cost increase or some reduction in seating capacity. They didn't even have a cannon when I was in school....or maybe they did. We didn't score much in those days so it's hard to say.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.