Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Kyle Field Renovation Ideas

129,313 Views | 434 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by bigangrytexan
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Keep the student side as the student side. No suites over there.

I don't see a reason that we can't have suites on the student side. They bring in boatloads of money and there is some prime real estate there. I also don't think that it would have any negative impact on the student side atmosphere at all. It isn't like the guys in the suites would be yelling at the students to keep it down or anything.

I think that we should go with two or three levels of suites like it is on the west side in the rendering. Not sure how much seating is lost to the suites, but if we got rid of the press box on top of the third deck we'd be giving up a lot of potential suite space to the press corps.
bagger05
AG
Also, just did a little check on the distance from the field (zone vs. third deck). Horizontal distance only, the top of the zone is about 250 feet away from the end line. The top of the third deck is around 270 feet away from the sideline. Not nearly the disparity that I thought there would be.
lb3
AG
Ag8086
AG
1) Not clear as to whether the first deck would be demolished or only the second and third decks on each side. If first deck is demolished, then seats could be moved closer to the field, corp does not have a problem marching around when folding chairs are added placed 15 feet out or so from the stands. I am all for continued march in but some of the space could be removed if bottom deck is rebuilt. It has a bad too gradual slant currently.
2) Need tunnels at southeast and southwest corners for equipment and the opponent coming on to the field. Don't want both teams using the same tunnel.
3) Area between second and third deck is only needed for cameras to film the game placed at the 50 and each 20 yard lines. Maybe a both for TV announcers and our radio and/or opponent radio announcers. Other media members can be in the sky in a press box above the third deck.
4) Love the overall design, in 10 to 20 years may need to demolish the suites at the south end and add an upper deck like the north zone but that is down the line as fan demand warrants.
5) Thanks for everyone's input and designs, very exciting future and attention to detail is critical.
fireinthehole
HOW ARE WE GOING TO DO THE RENNOVATION/UPGRAGE AND STILL HOLD GAMES? CAN THE ENTIRE PROJECT BE DONE IN 8 MONTHS? WOULD WE PHASE IT OVER 2 OR MORE 8 MONTH OFF SEASONS?

Now I am thru yelling.

No canopy please, we are not Baylor.

A single tron at one end is not good. One each end or better yet one each corner.

No way should we eliminate the three deck each side concept for a lower deck only with suites above.

Outdoor seating capacity needs to be 100k plus if we are going to do this for the long haul.

Heresy I know, but how about move across the tracks and build a completely new Kyle Field and play in the current one until done?
Bigsteve713
AG
^
|
Yeah we could play on penberthy
Bewareofgigem
The "build a new Kyle" is the single dumbest concept on texags and thats saying alot.
fireinthehole
Only to those that have a slammed shut mind.
Ag8086
AG
The bottom decks were built in the about the 1920's and is the biggest problem. Second decks built in about 1950, third decks in 1979. A complete tear down of the side decks (all three) is needed to make it right and curve the second and third decks like the pictures show and make everything right underneath the stands. You can't rebuild in another location with all of the support structures adjacent to Kyle Field i.e. Bright Complex, proposed Aggie Football Complex shown on front page of this TexAgs, etc. You will have to play all games for one season at other places, Houston, Arlington, San Antonio which is not ideal for fans and the 12th man but a small sacrifice for the long run. Several problems with pros and cons for each option. something similar to the pictures shown herein is what I like the best and some engineers think is most practical. As always, funding and money and budgets drive what will ultimately be done.
BrightAg13
AG
Tear down new decks

Pros:

More freedom for design
More value (more for less)
Will probably look better, can make it look more together than piecewise

Cons:

Will take about two years away from playing at kyle (maybe just one season)
Loss of some of things that made Kyle unique (crappy restrooms)

Renovating and expanding current design

Pros:

Keep things that make Kyle unique (but with better restrooms)
Snake pit

Cons:

Still piecewise
Less value
May be able to play at Kyle if done in stages, but will decrease capacity, and the project overall will take longer

This is just what I think, feel free to object or add.
In the long run, it is best to tear down the east and west stands.
jimmy1607
AG
Take a page out of the Jerry Jones book and move press to the corners. Prime real estate at your 50.
WILDMAN95
AG
quote:
Take a page out of the Jerry Jones book and move press to the corners. Prime real estate at your 50.

The Cowboys don't need the press like the Aggies do though. I always get a kick outta the visiting press comments about the pressbox swaying.
fireinthehole
Cost of rennovation per unit area is much higher than new construction on fresh ground. The entire complex would be redone, not just the stadium. Upgraded all the way. Being constrained by existing facilities limits options and final quality IMO. Don't take it personally now, and no, I am not an idiot. Just an alternate line of thinking, and all should be considered and compared before a final decision is made. One would hope that is being done.

There are costs associated with losing use of the stadium, and all of the costs must be considered and compared to the quality of the final product for the long term. The adjacent structures in the current complex should not necessarily drive the train as they could also be incorporated in a new complex and be enlarged and improved. All options, all associated costs, and all final benefits should be compared.
Fountain
Obviously, there are a lot of factors that will affect the cost, but does anyone have a decent estimate of how much it would be to tear down both sides and build from the ground up?
fireinthehole
Good question, and I am sure that is being looked at. One of the factors on a tear down and rebuild on same site is use of existing foundations for new construciton loads and/or construction of new foundations in and around the existing foundations. An option is to excavate some of the exiting foundations except for deep piles with that added expense of demo. It will be an interesting project.
AggieLish13
My roommate told me that a friend of hers who films the games from the top of 12th man TV told her that they already have plans to tear it down in 2013. Not viable information, I know, but I want to know if anyone else has heard this. Then she said we'd play 2 games in Dallas, 2 in Houston, and 2 in San Antonio.

Anyone know if this is true? I was excited about staying an extra semester because I'd get an extra football season, but if this is the case I am not excited at all.
hatchback
AG
quote:
Anyone else think the HKS design looks like crap... Hell they can design the cowboys stadium but then make kyle field look like a little boy designed it

I've hated the HKS design from day one.

It looks like they made a carbon-copy of the Cowboys Stadium and smooshed into the south endzone at Kyle.
Ag8086
AG
I hope all of the information on this post over the last few days makes it to all of the decision makers, administration, 12th man foundation, and/or any others that have input into this. Everyone needs to be heard.
MostlyHarmless
AG
Digging around some old threads I found this and couldn't help but laugh.
BrightAg13
AG
add more decks
Cen-Tex
AG
I would like to see the football team start wearing retro-uniforms. Perhaps the style of jersey worn by the 1939 national champs, or the classic style of the 1950's & 60's with the horizontal maroon strips around the each arm.
Hill Country Ag
AG
Careful, those new decks are tilting OVER,

Straighten em out and we could add yet another..

fireinthehole
I like the traditional unis of the 50's and early 60's, 50's best though. I like simple. I think it is elegant.
BQZip01
AG
quote:
Acoustics

A lot of posters have addressed the desire to close in the gaps on the northeast and northwest corners to "prevent sound from escaping".

This subject is something I feel extremely qualified to discuss. Acoustics is one of my specialties. For the sake of simplicity lets consider two types of sonic reflections.

Direct - Bouncing off a surface at incident (like the game Pong or air hockey). An efficient reflection but mainly in one direction.

Diffused - Bouncing off a irregular surface in all directions. An inefficient reflection that goes everwhere.

Okay enough class time. The corner gaps represent less than 10% of the vertical structure as apparent from within the stadium. Yes, sound does escape but how much? If you were to measure 120dB SPL outside one gap, does that mean that we are preventing and extra 120dB from
being present on the field? Hell no! Direct reflections off of would-be sections would be around 60dB prior to propagating if the seats were empty and probably absorbed if occupied. Diffused totals would probably be below 12dB.

The more significant sonic improvment will be having more mouths yelling from those sections toward the center of the venue (ala mile high). Increasing the capacity and attendance will help greatly and the angled geometry of the East and West stands will allow greater crowd noise efficiency as there will be less shoulders to
yell over, and a sonic mirror aimed toward the action on field provided by the seats behind each Aggie. Besides don't forget the gaping hole above Kyle Field.

Filling in the gaps will not keep the sound in, it will keep the wind out. As some have said, Kyle Field needs ventilation. While TV screens are doable, closing sections might mean more heat strokes. I would much rather it be compared to a tackle box than a cauldron.

I am currently working on a canopy design to help provide shade in the upper decks. This should also allow for a more sophisticated lighting array, audio system, and add to the apparent size of the venue and the intimidation
factor. Furthermore the underside of the canopy can be treated with a curved rigid surface to act as a wave guide for amplifying crowd noise from the upper decks. These canopies can be seen at some of the most revered stadium atmospheres across the globe, though I know of none that attempt to make the most of the underside geometry.

South end zone first deck

There are also mixed feelings concerning the South end zone lower deck elevation.

The only reason for the pitch change is to accommodate the field level club. I thought this was an awesome idea so we can keep the dramatic team entrances with fans surrounding and pumping the players up as they march in.

The seating has to be pitched at a higher angle to keep the sight lines intact from the back of the section to the rear pylons without taking out 5 rows of seats which would place the first row of seats 25 ft. further away from the action. Without the field level club, the seating would be continuous but the stance of the south structure would be significantly lower. If you guys prefere that, I can try it out.

But I like the way it looks personally. I have seen to it that no seat has obstructed views, even along those walls.

I am however redoing the south endzone to be more detailed and tie in better. Bare in mind that this effort is only a week old and I am working alone. My intentions for posting this is to hone the design on what the fans want to
call home. I have heard from others that I should present this to the powers and am convinced to do so when I feel it's ready.

First of all, my utmost compliments to your work.

Second, THANK YOU for taking into account the fans and their opinions.

A few more inputs. Someone mentioned that the cantilevered overhang would need to be able to stand up to a tropical storm/hurricane. This is a major possible drawback. However, I think the wind effects could be minimized by making it encircle the entire complex (think frisbee vs a sail). While it still results in problems, it can help minimize them by allowing a stadium-wide substructure to absorb the impact of such strong winds.

Closing off the corners DOES present ventilation problems, but I think they could be minimized by going with a less closed design which allows a breeze to flow through the stadium.

Lastly, are you saying there is up to a 12 dB difference in sound volume with the sides open!?! For those not familiar with the dB scale it's logarithmic...ok, so I need to consider my audience: Aggies. roughly 3 dB equates to the sound DOUBLING! 12 dB equates to a 16x increase in sound! Offenses from opposing teams would be deafened (perhaps our defense could wear Bose Noise cancelling helmets?)!

I think a concave design is the way to go for the inner side of the overhang. Obviously, you want a surface that reflects as much sound as possible for a reasonable cost (titanium and gold aren't options!) If you want to go uber-technical, you could make it a series of smaller panels movable on a computerized system which could make slight adjustments to optimize the sound volume toward the line of scrimmage. If they can do it with solar panels, they can do it with sound panels!

Want an eco-boost? Add solar panels to the roof!
85AustinAg
AG
You guys take yourselves way too seriously... I appreciate the time that someone spent putting this together but that design is beyond blah... it's just plain ugly.
BQZip01
AG
One more input: I think it would be quite cool to effectively extend the press box all the way around the stadium to expand the luxury box seating.
bagger05
AG

quote:
that design is beyond blah... it's just plain ugly.

I think that you're in the minority. I think this rendering checks a lot of boxes. Personally I think it looks amazing.
Amazing Moves
that looks awesome
sharpdressedman
Quit trying to put lipstick, a bow, and perfume on the pig that is Kyle Field. More piecemeal, asymetrical add-ons just make the entire facility look amatuerish in its design.

Do the job right, and just start over.
Copp
Some people need to be realistic. The Zone is not coming down, hence no starting over. I think this looks awesome, and the way the second and third decks as well as the south end zone are done it makes the stadium look like one structure instead of the three separate ones we have now. Keep working and showing us the updates!!
dreyOO
Make sure you account for the complaining Ags too

-Make the canopies retractable or ppl will ***** about missing the flyovers

-Make sure the student side press boxes are sound proofed or the rich ol Ags will ***** about them noisy kids

-Add 20% to the seat dimensions...if we're talking about building for the future, then best to admit there are going to be too many fatties to fit in a 105-115k capacity stadium
dreyOO
And add a Texag/Twitter board to the rendering. Somewhere where we can vent live and see our posts telling Sherman what to do before the 3rd quarter starts
lb3
AG
Ag8086
AG
1) Make each side the same height in case you want to close in the gaps in the future for additional seating. Maybe close in gaps some more now.

2) Put a tunnel for the opponent to enter and exit the stadium in the southeast corner, maybe southwest corner too.

3) Build the bottom deck closer to the field, the corps will still have room to march around as the chair seats outward do not interfere currently, then we will never need to add chair seats for any games and fans are closer to the field like most other stadiums.

4) Make a place for cameras for television betwen second and third decks for better visual on TV. Maybe some booths for TV and radio annoouncers between second and third decks so they can see and announce the games better. This may be one problem with current announcers for TV and radio, they can't see numbers on jerseys, especially when they are older like me from way up in the sky.

5) Construct south end so you can add the upper deck in the future without disrupting anything. this is down the road 20 years+. Don't know if suites at ground level at south end will go over or not, need studies to determine.

6) The last alternative is to continue the sides like the north zone is with a bottom deck, club level, suites and large upper deck but seems most people on this board wants three decks on each side similar to the current configuration.

5) Overall looks great, no matter what is done, there will be complaining and disagreement which is how everything is.

85AustinAg
AG
The Zone can be left as a stand alone and the remainder torn down and rebuilt.

I don't see the point in spending the money for the "Bose Acoustic Wave Radio" look when we can start from scratch and have it look a helluva lot better.

This look is way too focused on what the stadium looks like from the inside. When the stadium is full, who the hell cares what it looks like from the inside. The $ and design needs to be on the outside, the restrooms, concourse, private boxes, concessions - improving the game day experience. This "look" does non of that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.