Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Kyle Field Renovation Ideas

129,260 Views | 434 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by bigangrytexan
CoolAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kceovaisnt-

Blue parachute for you. Looks great!
Copp
Kceovaisnt:

As may have been advised before, why not look to the new Olsen Field, Bright, and the new weight room/football village for ideas when making the facade for Kyle. Just a thought. Continuity amongst all our athletic facilities would be great

[This message has been edited by zachcopp (edited 10/18/2011 11:41p).]
MontanaAg11
AG
bump.
bagger05
AG
Random thought... seems like I heard this idea somewhere so this might not be original.

In this picture, they have those skyboxes up above the third deck. I question the viability of suites that are so far away from the stadium, but it made me think... what if instead of skyboxes up that high you had apartments? Or better yet, a new "athletic dorm" (but not REALLY an athletic dorm in order to comply with NCAA rules).

Probably a ridiculous and prohibitively expensive idea, and I've never been an elite high school athlete so I have no idea what those guys like, but I imagine that having a badass dorm room that is right next door to Bright and the football village, is smack in the middle of campus, and oh by the way has a million dollar view of Kyle Field would be a nice selling point.
J.D.
AG
LSU use to have dorms built into the stadium.
Copp
sounds like a cool idea. No idea if there are clearing house issues with that, and likely too expensive. However, this is the forward thinking we need to put our school over the top. We do not just want to level the playing field. We want to skew it in our direction.
He_didnt_make_it
AG
bump
kinto
I don't like it for a college football stadium, but I do think a hotel next to/built into a professional baseball (major or minor league) stadium could bring in real money. I think they have that at the Kingdome (Seattle) where a few couples had sex for everyone to see.
dabo man
AG
quote:
In this picture, they have those skyboxes up above the third deck. I question the viability of suites that are so far away from the stadium, but it made me think...

Look at the zone. People pay a ton of money for the booze and air-conditioning to watch a game from the endzone. If I had a choice between that and being between the 20s, even if it was the 4th deck, I would choose the latter.
jimmy1607
AG
We haz moar?
phildickinson1
BTHO Pessimism
This may have been posted before. I don't know when these plans were produced by the University. On page 33 there is a picture of the proposed future Kyle Field.

http://fcor.tamu.edu/downloads/Athletic%20Facilities%20Master%20Plan.pdf

bagger05
AG
BTHOP, I think that's fairly old. I also believe that BB and Loftin have both said that everything we've seen proposed to this point is basically being thrown out and we're starting over.

Big problem with that design, IMO, is that it would put well over half of our seating in the endzones and a huge portion of our expansion would be the addition of nosebleed seats in the corners.

Good find, though. I had no idea that that plan had ever been so developed. I thought that model and renderings were more conceptual than anything else.
JJxvi
AG
quote:
I don't like it for a college football stadium, but I do think a hotel next to/built into a professional baseball (major or minor league) stadium could bring in real money. I think they have that at the Kingdome (Seattle) where a few couples had sex for everyone to see.

I think you're probably thinking of the Rogers Centre / SkyDome in Toronto

[This message has been edited by JJxvi (edited 10/21/2011 11:26a).]
MontanaAg11
AG
Any new updates recently?
J.D.
AG
quote:
This may have been posted before. I don't know when these plans were produced by the University. On page 33 there is a picture of the proposed future Kyle Field.

http://fcor.tamu.edu/downloads/Athletic%20Facilities%20Master%20Plan.pdf

I like this much better
West Point Aggie
AG
They Kyle on that "master" plan will never see the light of day...can't believe that thing is still being tossed around as a possibility...going on 8 years old!
BrightAg13
AG
bump
Austin Ag
AG
imjustsayin
AG
bump... hoping some of the points mentioned in this thread are considered by those who will be deciding the future of Kyle.
e=mc2
AG
This thread makes me horny!
Kceovaisnt-
AG
Ha! Thursday night... If I wasn't hitting the nyquil or fighting this cold, I would have had an update for you guys. My work schedule has picked up, however I will post an update by the beginning of this coming week.

The latest news on the future of Kyle Field couldn't come at a better time.

Thanks for all the comments and 40K+ views.
jimmy1607
Kceovaisnt-
AG
Well it's the end of a tough week for us. My progress has been slower than usual due to relatives visiting. However I am getting close to posting a new full render set of images of the new facade.

In the mean time, since I promised an update, here is one image of the bare model which is about 85% complete. I intend on including the bright complex and practice facility and some surrounding landmarks as well. How much will be in the coming iteration is dependent on how well the next few days go. At any rate, they will be in there along with sky and landscaping.

Aggie1
AG
Please tell us if this is an Addition/Alteration, or a tear down and rebuild? ...along with is this a "form follows function", or "function follows form" solution. And, if the projected desired requirement of 120,000 seats will be accomodated??

In Government Projects at least 3 solutions are required from which the powers that be (think bowtie and AD, etc.,) will choose the alternative they think best to pursue to final documents, bidding and construction.

And of course a CWE is required on each scheme please...
...along with specific costs and solutions associated for code and ADA compliance for the City and State folks.

All this along with comparison of each solution to the Planning Budget for all to see and compare is necessary to make any decisions even from afar.

In Addition, Costs for items such as the "nice to have" Super Canopies is mandatory as I fear their cost would be excessive - however nice to have - and only with BIG donor participation will they be viable - if even then...

Please note in the Heery/OPZ and HKS scheme(s) there are also phased timelines. The same has been done in the more recent HKS solutions to get an idea if a Houston/Reliant is necessary, or not.

I know none of that is in your "Scope of Work" but you well know where this is headed: There will be screaming and gnashing of teeth when the real RFP's and responses are received - and subsequently designed - and may or may not resemble your suberb ideas for those with long memories.

But then, maybe that's the idea??

...and, for what it's worth - just because someone comes up with a bright idea (i.e., putting the stands closer to the playing field) - please be patient and point out that that "buffer" is ever so nice and avoids having to put up pads around the periphery to avoid major injury to players, cameramen/women, reporters, staff, coaches, dignitaries, etc... and allows necessary sideline activities to occur (including TV) and Yell Leaders, march-ins, band(s) movement, etc., without too much difficulty... and yes, the angle of the view from the stands does not allow the field to be lowered - unless we want it into the shallow water table and have to dewater/pump the field as well (yet another significant expense)... this isn't arena football...

AAAAAAAAAAg - Air Force Aggie Architect & Administrator from Amarillo, Altus, Austin, Arabia, Arkansas, Africa, Seoul, & now Amman, Jordan '65, '69, '73
Behavior is a mirror in which everyone shows his image - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

[This message has been edited by Aggie1 (edited 10/31/2011 1:01a).]
Copp
Getting any closer to releasing some pictures?!
BQZip01
AG
would love to see some new pictures on my birthday (today)!
Copp
K, what about now!?
85AustinAg
AG
We are going to have to go on a serious end of season run or make serious changes to program to generate the interest and thus the money to go forward with a stadium plan.
old army3
why are you all concerned with a new stadium. This seasons debacle will make sure that we dont sell out again for many years
windmill.1
AG
I like the "Indigo" renderings !!
The idea of having the light overhangs. They have the potential to make Kyle Field even louder by deflecting the croud noise back toward the field.
I really hope that is a part of the thought process in making Kyle even louder.
J.D.
AG
We need to compete with our neighbors up the Brazos:

J.D.
AG
Take our Zone which looks similar to theirs and add the rest:

[This message has been edited by J.D. (edited 11/6/2011 6:35p).]
Copp
old army3, I am so tired of being depressed about our team and our lack of coaching and fundamentals. So figure we would bring this up!
chach
AG
Without trying to be a homer for the structure that is there now, I really like how the east and west sides of your rendering still have the iconic three deck configuration. It still resembles Kyle, just more modern. I also like the way the first deck on either side runs parallel with the side line and the second and third decks have the slight angles in them to point the crowd more toward the center of the field.

My thoughts on the facade would be to stay away from brick. It seems like brick can become dated rather quickly. I personally would prefer to see an architectural precast or a glass facade like Reliant.

This really looks good. I can't wait to see your next round of renderings.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.