Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Kyle Field Renovation Ideas

128,954 Views | 434 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by bigangrytexan
Cincoag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Motis. How old is that? That is the first time I have seen that design.
Motis B Totis
AG
Found it somewhere lurking around the inter-webs a couple years back. There used to be a website with the Athletic master plan. Bright being first, then the blimp hangers, Olsen and then Kyle
Motis B Totis
AG
Raggy09
AG
canopies
Cincoag02
AG
Thanks. I think I have heard that anything from the past is out the window and they are starting from scratch.
Mike_Honcho315
AG
Will the letters be lit up?
awlwren
AG
These images... I find them strangely attractive...

One question, though: where will we put the visitors?

Stay in there, Aggies...
dabo man
AG
quote:
Thanks. I think I have heard that anything from the past is out the window and they are starting from scratch.

Bowtie has said this publicly a number of times. The increase in ticket demand due to our SEC move changed everything!

[This message has been edited by dabo man (edited 10/17/2011 3:34p).]
clintron
AG
I believe I remember seeing those pics Motis posted on a football game program around the time the Bright complex was built as a master plan to show the integration of the stadium with Bright.

Looks to me like closing in the south endzone with 1 level may be in the plans as of right now. I'm referring to the image displayed during the video on another topic called "Mike Sherman shares Vision for Aggie football complex". Check out that video, and let me know what you think. No idea how many seats that adds to Kyle.

I would imagine it is a quick solution to the visiting SEC fans requiring more tickets, and gives us the ability to add more on later if needed (which I would love to see, considering ticket prices are so high right now, it is hard to convince the wife that we need to go to more games). I love the pics posted in here btw!

More yelling Aggies in the stadium makes for a more intimidating venue.
BrightAg13
AG
Austin Ag, I am really tired of your posts
MontanaAg11
AG
^ agreed.
coscaggie
AG
Adding shade to students adds nothing to the bottom line for the AD and we need to spend money where it counts. IF you want out of the sun spend more money.
TyHolden
AG
wouldn't canopies make it louder?
Kceovaisnt-
AG
I haven't taken time to crunch numbers on a typical gameday acoustic study. But my educated guess would suggest sheetloads.
Ancalagon06
well done
Shooter Hawgins
In a somewhat SEC related way

Arkansas is releasing a revised Athletic Masterplan tomorrow.

RRS is going to 80,000(currently 72,000 without the temp bleachers on the top of the South EZ). Heavy on premium seats I hear.

Even more goodies for Baum and a Basketball Practice facility. Renovation of BWA is possible. Lots of infrastructure improvements to make for a better gameday experience.
SchizoAg
AG
quote:
  • Increase the height of the corner arches to match the other arches.
  • Extend the arches all the way to the ground, so it looks like an aqueduct.
  • Run the concourse over the aqueduct.
  • Maybe curve the aqueduct instead of using a straight 45-degree angle.

Any comment on this idea?
Kceovaisnt-
AG
MontanaAg11:

quote:
1) When you go to present it to the powers that be, do you have any ideas of how you plan on doing so? What options are you going to show?
- With/out South Zone?
- With/out Field Level Boxes? (making the original bowl uniform all the way around the first deck?)
- With/out Canopies? (think that they should be mandatory)

I suppose I will generate a pdf document with renders of different elements of expansion/renovation in a phase-oriented manner. That way they can see the progressive stopping points along the way. As some have said, this is obviously a master plan type concept. At the end of the document I will include detailed renders of the big picture and include a list of possible features than are not illustrated directly.

I am working on a version without and keeping the one with the field level CLUB (not boxes) and I am still in favor of this design. The view from that point does suck as game seats go.

Worm01 hit it right on the head. The club is not gameday seating but rather an exclusive party area for those willing to coin up. I have considered this to be a perk for the south zone elevated box leases to congregate prior to the game be the first to welcome the home team to the game. There would be courtesy elevators to service the box seat ticket holders directly to their floor and back as desired. Leftover access tickets to the field club could be sold to other gameday ticket holders as available. The suites on the south side would be the nicest (biggest, w/ outdoor seating). Combined with this perk, it counterbalances the demand of more favorable views along the east and west sides.

quote:
2) Random thought on the cannonade... what if you placed it in a corner or on the top of the south zone and created a parabolic dish to fire it outward but it would directly reflect the sound into the stadium? (I'm sure this will get shot down buttt just an idea I had)

Sound intuition. Since the shockwave from a cannon blast is radial, a parabolic dish focused on the cannon would convert the wave geometry to a planar propagation pattern. Although there would be some sonic diffraction, this would only accentuate the boom in a area footprint the size of the dish itself and nowhere else. A flat plane behind it would do better to reflect but still distribute the boom everywhere.

quote:
4) What possessed you to start doing this?? Think its really cool that you are but dang son gotta be a lot of work!

I started to do this as an exercise to refresh modeling skills. I needed something compound and complex enough to work over. It was not aimed at being seriously considered or even seen by anyone other than me. I was impressed at how it looked despite me just messing around. I slapped some SEC logos on the field and emailed a render shot to my father as he was following the SEC move closely (Former Tennessee basketball player and lifetime Vol fan). He then implored me to send this to the AD. After some thought, I decided to see what Texags loved or hated about it so as to not submit something that everyone hates. I also wanted to poke fun at Baylor's whimsical attempt at a design for a new stadium. 10,000 views later, I figured this needed some elaboration. 30,000 views and one week later, I have gotten the message. Be the voice of the fans for change in Aggieland. Maybe it could happen, probably not, but there could be a chance that it helps to shape what eventually comes to pass. That's enough for me to labor nights and weekends to see it done.

[This message has been edited by Kceovaisnt- (edited 10/17/2011 6:37p).]

[This message has been edited by Kceovaisnt- (edited 10/17/2011 6:38p).]
awlwren
AG
quote:
compound and complex enough

Nicely done.

Thanks for all the time & effort!

Stay in there, Aggies...
TyHolden
AG
quote:
I haven't taken time to crunch numbers on a typical gameday acoustic study. But my educated guess would suggest sheetloads.

that's what i thought. oregon is known for having one of the loudest home stadiums. can you yell for long periods when you are high?
Austin Ag
AG
BrightAg13 and MontanaAg11...care to elaborate?
MontanaAg11
AG
AustinAg. Just the debbie downer attitude about the canopy. Yes we know you're realistic butttt its always fun to imagine. lol
MontanaAg11
AG
Kceovaisnt-

Thanks for responding to my post! I really enjoy the feedback. I know that doing something like this scale is pretty far fetched to be instituted. BUT as far as presenting it goes, if you have a badass presentation and address all concerns ahead of time it would serve to solidify the integrity of the project.

Ahh I don't know any of the physics of how the sound wave propagates but that's good to know. That makes total sense as far as the radial sound blast converting into a plane. What if you had it use a flat wall but under the canopy to trap the sound in? Or.. just thought what if it was pointed to the underside of the canopy and used the shape of the material to reflect it into the stands?? (Not an engineer but just bouncing ideas off)

That's really quite cool of how this has evolved from just a fun project to a social architect design project. If you need any help as far as promotion or something that an agbusiness student can help with. Feel free to hit me up. I'm definitely in to help you in any way possible.
J.D.
AG
Sad that this will never happen:

lb3
AG
TyHolden
AG
i would think we could build something to top this. sink it deep. add huge canopies. maybe just on the alumni side at first. 100k+ fans. home field terror.
byrne helped build this one. he can help build a better one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autzen_Stadium

quote:
Autzen is known for its crowd noise. The fans are very close to the field compared to other stadiums and the field is sunken, which contributes to the loudness of the stadium despite having a smaller capacity than most other 'noise comparable' stadiums.[20] According to many in the Pac-10, it was actually even louder prior to the most recent expansion because the noise reverberated all the way up the stadium and bounced back down to the field—the so-called "Autzen bounce." Oregon officials say that any future expansions will trap more noise.[21]

On October 27, 2007, during a 24–17 defeat of the USC Trojans, a then-record crowd of 59,277 fans was recorded at 127.2 decibels.
A similarly loud 31–27 upset of third-ranked Michigan in 2003 prompted a Michigan Daily columnist to write[22]
“ Autzen's 59,000 strong make the Big House collectively sound like a pathetic whimper. It’s louder than any place I’ve ever been, and that includes The Swamp at Florida, The Shoe in Columbus, and Death Valley at Louisiana State. Autzen Stadium is where great teams go to die. ”

Michigan coach Lloyd Carr later said that Autzen Stadium was the loudest stadium he'd ever been in.[23]
A view of the field during the 2007 USC game. The new press box on the south side, built in 2002, is visible to the left

In 2006, a Sporting News columnist named Autzen the most intimidating college football stadium in the nation.[24]

Lee Corso of ESPN College Gameday frequently says that; "Per person Autzen Stadium is the loudest stadium that I have ever been in my entire life!"[25]

Jahvid Best, a starting running back for the California Golden Bears said of his game in 2007 at Autzen Stadium, "The biggest thing I remember about that game is the crowd. The crowd noise is crazy up there. Honestly, any other away game I don't really even hear the crowd. Oregon was the only place where it really got on my nerves."[26]
Kceovaisnt-
AG
If you want to focus the shockwave to a target point, you would not want to use a parabolic dish but rather an elliptical dish. To hell with the bench, target the key opposition on field during play. Train an additional squad in the PMC to operate said dish. Make it happen!
MontanaAg11
AG
^ I'm getting my ass handed to me in sound physics. lol
BrightAg13
AG
Sorry austin ag, there are two of you in this thread with a similar name, once you made a negative comment, i automatically assumed you as the other. But I would say that I love the idea to have canopies because of the pros that come along with it, such as the lighting system, sound system, sound amplification, aesthetics etc. As far as people who pay a minimum still get shade from the canopies, that is true. But I still think that students should have some type of relief from the sun especially in the early part of the season.
lb3
AG
Austin Ag
AG
BrightAg13...I agree...it would be great to have.
Raggy09
AG
this thread needs a bump
wrkncrw
OP-

my suggestion is simple

we need a change of contrast in the wall that surrounds Kyle Field as opposed to straight concrete, a brick wall would look nice

I know this is still "rough" but perhaps an updated view from the field showing a brick wall in place of concrete

also why don't you try an exterior facade update as well

you do awesome work

Cepe
Mugsy01

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.