Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Kyle Field Renovation Ideas

129,263 Views | 434 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by bigangrytexan
duffelpud
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fountain
Duffle- I think if you put bigger rabbit ears on that badboy it'll fly...gonna have to get a big set of pliers in case the knobs fall off, though.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Adpotts: photoshop a reveillie habitat in corner, ala Baylorfans....
Robert C. Christian
AG

Robert C. Christian
AG
Renderings look great! Only comment is all the gray space around the video board. Other than that, simply amazing.
sharpdressedman
Nice effort, but it still doesn't lose that piecemeal, disjointed, WTF look. Only way out is to build new from the ground up, which is not going to happen.
rather be fishing
AG
quote:
Adpotts: photoshop a reveillie habitat in corner, ala Baylorfans....

If I had photoshop skillz I would have just done so and posted it. Alas, I have none.
Copp
*****Couple of things, but overall I think it is great!

-If you are seriously considering presenting this to the powers that be (which I strongly suggest you do) you may want to lower seating capacity. I would guess they want somewhere around 93-95k with the ability to expand if needed. 107k is way over the top IMO. We do not have the demand now and having 12k empty seats at a game would look terrible. Does the 107k include the widening of the seats on East and West sides that is in the plans?

-Does the outer facade match the Bright Complex or Olsen or anything? What kind of material is it? I don't know if it is just my computer but it almost looks pink. I do like the arches that match the windows on Bright and the new weight facility that will be going in. Maybe the facade should be the same materials used to match Bright and the new football village?

-It would be great to see a rendering without the field level suites just to see the change, but I do like the tunnel in the middle

-Add something to the walkways connecting the Zone and East and West decks. Something to spice it up and not make it look so bland

-On the West side facade, are the two concrete pillars reaching up to the press box necessary? Can they be integrated where they do not stick outwards? After a few years, that plain concrete ends up looking really trashy and dirty

-Find a place to put the cannon IN the stadium!

-THE LETTERS AND A&M SYMBOLS ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE STADIUM MUST BE LIT!!

Overall I think this is great and would love something very similar! Keep up the good work and get this to the right people!

[This message has been edited by zachcopp (edited 10/12/2011 12:35a).]
shoulderCHIP
AG
Engineers trying to be architects.
Austin Ag
AG
Are the second and third decks really going to be demolished and re-constructed?
Kceovaisnt-
AG
Without the south end zone seating or boxes, the capacity would be around 97K with the reconstruction of the East and West stands. So to answer your question, yes.

As for the facade, the main inspiration is the old arches that were visible on the outer structure of Kyle Field before upper decks were added. As I understand, the Bright Complex and the new Village project use the same arch geometry to pay homage to the 20's.

I plan to modify and elaborate on the facade on all sides. I figured that the concourses should be enclosed but the corners should be open air with the smaller arches similar to the quad. Each corner will have large fanned out ramps feeding foot traffic to the main concourse level upon entrance. It may look strange now because those smaller arches look like they lead to nowhere and serve no purpose. I am not satisfied with the look of the south zone but I do like the lower deck seating on the south side. Expect changes everywhere else.

As for the west side pillars, the press box requires a stout support structure. The pillars actually go through the top of the third deck but are are shaped in a triangular fashion to ensure sight lines in even the cheap seats under the press box. I suppose I could try and mask them with new facade features. The material that I am using right now is just a beige cladding similar to the existing zone facade. This can be changed in 30 seconds and I plan on creating a color scheme with a brick and cladding mixture. Any suggestions would be nice.

I have been looking for the last three days for regulations for placement of the Spirit of '02 Cannon. I have considered placing a battery platform at the second deck level with a dedicated freight elevator for PMC. If anyone can give me the proximity requirements from the field and or spectators, that would be useful.

I don't see why (assuming this was adopted) they could not light these letters as it is designed now.

ShoulderCHIP: Feel free to contribute anytime.

Austin Ag: I hope they do. As nice as I think Kyle Field is, it is completely disjointed. Plus the part of my design that appeals to me the most is the new angular decks along the sidelines.
dabo man
AG
quote:
As for the facade, the main inspiration is the old arches that were visible on the outer structure of Kyle Field before upper decks were added.

I assume that these are similar to the arches behind the horseshoe before it was torn down? I liked those.
sharkenleo
quote:
I would guess they want somewhere around 93-95k with the ability to expand if needed. 107k is way over the top IMO. We do not have the demand now and having 12k empty seats at a game would look terrible.

Agreed, but not 93-95k. If we're already gonna spend millions of dollars, might as well go for 95-98k. Anything over that is overkill, but I think we could fill up a 98k stadium for really huge games (LSU, Bama, etc.)
Copp
Kceovaisnt, you are doing an awesome job brother!

-I love the South end zone with all of the suites, I just think if you are serious about presenting this to the right people they may discredit it with a 107k seating capacity. I think the south end zone is a must with all of the suites, but is there any way to keep it without such a high seating capacity? Maybe widening the seats on west side and east side more? I am just spit balling here, do not have any real solution

-What is the capacity of the East stands? Will it fit more students than we can currently now?

-PLEASE BRING THE CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP YEARS BACK INSIDE THE STADIUM!! Haha

-You had said you modeled the facade somewhat after The Zone. Many of us on here hate the facade of the zone. From the cheap stucco look to the cheap aluminum siding. PLEASE DO YOU NOT USE THOSE MATERIALS.

Look to other prominent stadium around the country for inspiration for facades and ideas for an entrance maybe. I will link a few for you down below

Bryant Denny in Alabama
http://www.piperframing.com/pics/Bryant-denny%20stadium.jpg

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/shared-blogs/austin/longhorns/upload/2009/05/see_the_new_roy/aam%20Royal%20Memorial%20Stadium%20.jpg

http://football.ballparks.com/NCAA/ACC/FloridaState/front.jpg

RAB97
AG
quote:
Only comment is all the gray space around the video board.

That's where all the ads go! [/Deloss Dodds]
Austin Ag
AG
If decks 2 and 3 on both sides get removed. Why not replace them with a single larger deck?

NOTE: The reason we have 3 decks is the multiple phase expansion over the years. I was not a design intention.
Kceovaisnt-
AG
The student side should actually allow the students that were unable to get sports passes to attend. I believe they can fill an extra 5,500 students into each game.

They could just leave the south zone open if they want to keep it under 100K or they could expand the east and west decks far less or not at all while closing in the south zone.

I didn't model the facade after the zone, just the cladding material. As I have said this is going out the window. Thanks for the examples.

I will need someone to re-post these images for me.

I have generated a canopy design in which I would fix to the top deck on the east, west, and north side. It is just the canopy and five cantilever buttresses (which I will make larger). I will extend these along the remainder of the canopy. Don't crucify me, I just wanted to know what you guys think of this feature. Should I continue? Should I change it? In what way?

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/5514/canopy.th.jpg

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/7582/canopy3f.th.jpg

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/5412/canopy2.th.jpg

Thanks
rcb05
AG

SchizoAg
AG
Clickable:

Buck Nasty
AG
going with that throwback, Kceovaisnt?

[This message has been edited by Buck Nasty (edited 10/12/2011 2:25p).]
Buck Nasty
AG
how about instead of lighting the letters, we light...the whole thing?
bobhoops
AG
Canopy
dabo man
AG
Kceovaisnt-,

If you send an email to root@squash.tamu.edu, I will set you up with an account on my web server so that you don't run in to photobucket viewing limitations.

Unfortunately, I can't do anything about rookies not being able to post pics.

[This message has been edited by dabo man (edited 10/12/2011 4:17p).]
drewbie96
AG
No matter what changes are made, the press boxes need to be lower. The camera angle on our games is terrible. The camera guys have to zoom out when both teams come to the line of scrimmage. If you watch other games like LSU, the camera angle is much lower and the cameraman can get both teams in the picture frame without zooming out. It is a much better tv experience.

njohn87
AG
What exactly is the problem with the bats? I thought Kyle Field was legally classified a bat sanctuary or something. I don't really find the smell offensive, and they generall keep to themselves.
bagger05
AG
As I have said before I absolutely love it.

A couple of thoughts since you appear to be taking suggestions and questions:

1. In your design, are the third decks closer to the field than they are presently and what is the angle of the decks compared to what they are now? I think that if we stick with a three-deck stadium (and I like the look of it) that the third decks need to be MUCH closer to the field.

2. Did you consider "extending" the current configuration of the Zone first deck, club level, and luxury suites to the east, west, and south sides of the stadium?

3. If the second and third decks are to be reconstructed anyway, why did you go for the asymmetry regarding the second decks on the east and west side (looks like three levels of suites on the west side and only one level of suites on the east side)?

4. More of a general question, but do we even need a press box on top of the third deck? Don't most stadiums now have the press box "integrated" into the same level as the suites? Seems that going that route might be preferable to having the press box so high up.

5. Where did you get your info regarding the current specs and measurements on Kyle?

Great work and I can't wait to see future iterations of your design.
DevilD77
AG
I think it looks really great for the most part but with only one field level entrance from the South, how does the Corps march in? All of the Corps bashers may cry it's not important, but the Corps is still a major part of what makes A&M unique and march in needs to be continued.
BPA
Selfish request, but what about an open type club level patio area in the South Zone build out. Indoor area could be the Aggie Club with nice seating with food with outdoor rail/open standing area kind of like the new Cowboys stadium. Doesn't Texas have a Club area that also serves booze? Again you make this area access only to the South End Zone suite people (and I guess other suite owners) and people who have signed up to be part of the Aggie Club. Generates revenue, nice place for people to get a higher quality meal (also revenue generator), and the space could be leased out for special functions, entertaining, etc.. Plus it would be nice to get a cold beer... Me and my crew are in whatever the fee to join would be.
FarmersFightAg
AG
Field needs to say TEXAS AGGIES. Bring back TEXAS AGGIES!
BrightAg13
AG
What if you made part of the west suite boxes part of the press box?
oscartx
needs to be more modern on the outside
CarolinaAggie
Amazing! I would add hedges.

Texas Native. Lifelong Texas A&M Fan. Alumnus, University of South Carolina.
Kceovaisnt-
AG
I can't thank you guys enough. The last 10 or so posts have been extremely productive.

To address Drewbie96 and and the 4th point by bagger 05. You guys along with BrightAg convinced me to scrap the pressbox in favor of using the suite levels for press facilities. I never thought about it but that camera angle does suck.

Bagger,

The existing third deck is pitched at 33 degrees. The third deck in my design is lifted by 20 feet and pitched at 38 degrees. Moving the decks closer will require even more extreme pitching to prevent straining sight lines. 40 degrees is about as far as you can reasonably go. So bringing the seat closer is just about out of the question.

To answer number 2, yes I have though I don't think I will. Club levels take a lot of space. I do think I will adjust the suite boxes to have outdoor seating as well.

In regards to question 3, The student side needs more seats and does not need coaching boxes or press facilities for that matter. I could manage to fit one row of suites on the east side. Perhaps those can be marketed student organizations or greeks. Or just act as a place to stick all the neon shirts.

As for number 5, lil bit a google maps, photos, and some complex tricks. It's not exact but I am confident it is very close.

BPA,

I am completely revamping the facade and concourse framework. I think it will cater to your wishes better. The photos that are up show a design that I started a few days before and wasn't taking it very serious. That is until I started getting email and phone calls from people enamored with this vision.

I am detailing the canopies for the upper decks. This addition alone makes Kyle Field look very different and much more modern. It seriously is instant badassery boost. This could easily make Kyle Field the undisputed loudest football venue anywhere along with modern lights, elaborate sound reinforcement, and shade.

Look for something new soon.
TexAg15
AG
Keep the student side as the student side. No suites over there.

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2015
whiskey02
AG
Keep a strong student side of the field.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.