Houston
Sponsored by

Just got road rage hit and runned on the Beltway

25,816 Views | 232 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
Quincey P. Morris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're not going to agree and quite frankly if you're so close that a brake light coming on causes you to go wildly out of control and crash then you're the problem. Putting it on the other party because you decided to roar up behind them laughable.
NickNaylor
http://www.drive-safely.net/rear-ended/

What to do:

1. Drive slower (oh wow, just what I said. Let off the accelerator. Amazing.)
2. Put on your turn signal and pull over, switch lanes or turn off the road
3. Ignore it - they will get around you eventually
4. Retaliation leads to road rage. Avoid them, don't incite them.

Things they don't list:

Tapping brakes (can easily be seen as retaliation) or braking

SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
quote:
Lighting up my brake lights isn't going to get me years in jail, but I digress. I'll go with what the defensive driving course actually says to do when you're without another option.
To say there is no other option is completely false. There are multiple other options rather than brake checking.

Defensive driving tells you to slow down to encourage the other driver to go around you and to change lanes to avoid them. These are other options you have that they do teach you. And they are much safer for everyone involved.
quote:
Tailgating

Tailgating is following another car too closely. If someone is following you too closely, be careful. Tap your brake lightly a few times to warn the tailgater that you are slowing down. Brake slowly before stopping. Avoid tailgaters when possible by changing lanes. If you cannot change lanes, slow down enough to encourage the tailgater to go around you. If this does not work, pull off the road when safe and let the tailgater pass.
Looks like I did exactly what Defensive Driving suggest... heavy traffic, couldn't switch lanes, wasnt near a shoulder... I brake-checked, then slowed to a stop. Then he rammed me.
NickNaylor
quote:
We're not going to agree and quite frankly if you're so close that a brake light coming on causes you to go wildly out of control and crash then you're the problem. Putting it on the other party because you decided to roar up behind them laughable.
It isn't the only thing that would cause the accident, but you cannot say that if you tap the brakes and the other person goes out of control, that your action was not contributory to the accident.

There is no question that the tailgater is in the wrong and I am not arguing otherwise.

But tapping your brakes can contribute to an accident in that situation and people have been charged with assault with a deadly weapon and vehicular homicide for that action. As I posted, there are other actions you should and can take before doing something that has a higher probability of injury.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
There's a reason most insurance companies and police classify and rear-end accident on the rearward vehicle. It's always their fault.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Sounds like op is confessing his road rage...
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
There's a reason most insurance companies and police classify and rear-end accident on the rearward vehicle. It's always their fault.
Not always.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I'd be curious to see even one case where a person tapped their brakes and was charged with anything. Not slamming them on or even pumping them to slightly change speed.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
I'd be curious to see even one case where a person tapped their brakes and was charged with anything. Not slamming them on or even pumping them to slightly change speed.
They haven't.

Everyone needs to get on the same page of "brake checking". Brake checking is the slamming of brakes when being tailgated. Let's call activating the brake lights as "brake light activation" or some *****

Jesus...
NickNaylor
quote:
http://www.northjersey.com/news/saddle-brook-man-found-guilty-of-vehicular-homicide-in-death-of-teaneck-woman-1.1449631

It's not always the car in the back's fault. Here the guy that brake checked got 7 years in jail for vehicular homicide for road rage brake checking at high speeds.

Brake checking is really hard to prove in court without lots of eye witnesses or a dash cam.

There is also the swerve and squat where people will serve in front of you and slam on the brakes, common insurance fraud scheme. If you can prove they did it on purpose, they are at fault.

http://fox17online.com/2016/06/06/road-rage-caught-on-camera-state-police-searching-for-driver/

quote:

After watching the viral video, Lieutenant Chris McIntire with Michigan State Police called the incident a case of road rage.

"That brake checking is what we see in road rage a lot, that's typically the cause of the road rage," said Lt. McIntire.

Why do something that will incite road rage or contribute to an accident when you have other options available to you? Makes absolutely no sense.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
quote:
quote:
They haven't.

Everyone needs to get on the same page of "brake checking". Brake checking is the slamming of brakes when being tailgated. Let's call activating the brake lights as "brake light activation" or some *****

Jesus...
I said tapping the brakes and that we were talking about something different and he continued replying saying that has gotten people charged.
Diggity
AG
traffic threads always bring out the pillow fighters amongst us.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
quote:
traffic threads always bring out the pillow fighters amongst us.

Better a pillow fighter than a pillow biter.
Diggity
AG
ha...I was waiting for that FIFY
NickNaylor
What does engaging your brake lights accomplish that can't be accomplished by other means?

If you engage your brake lights, what do you think the more likely outcome would be?
A. "Oh dear sir, I didn't realize that I was so close to you, pardon me, I shall slow down to a more prudent speed and stay 3 seconds behind you."
B. "You ****ing ass hole, no one brake checks me!"
C. Guy slams on brakes, loses control

What are you ultimately trying to accomplish? Get him off your tail? Show him whos boss?

I've found that if someone rolls up on me like that, I put my right blinker on and switch lanes when it is safe, the situation is usually diffused pretty quickly. They know you see them and that you intent to get out of there way as soon as you can. No everyone is happy and no accident occurs. Why would you light your brakes before attempting something like that? Makes absolutely no sense. Showing intention of getting out of there way is going to diffuse road rage a lot more than lighting up your brakes and there is a much less likely chance of contributing to an accident, whether you are involved or not.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
It's worked plenty well when I've had to do it. Can't say I recall a single person getting closer. When I've done it, it's because I have NOWHERE TO GO. There are cars in front of me, cars beside me, and the dipstick behind me. We're going around in circles here and I'm not going to agree with you so have a nice day.
NickNaylor
It's also caused accidents, hasn't it? We all watched a video where it caused an accident.

Even if there are cars in front and on the sides of you, if you turn on your blinker, you are signaling to him that you see him and that you intend to get out of his way.

How is that not a better option than something that is more likely to cause an accident?

I've even posted quotes from police that says that brake checking is likely to incite road rage. Have you ever seen someone incited to more road rage by signaling to them that you intend to get out of their way? Ever? Didn't think so.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Fully intended to back out, but my god. What they're talking about in the articles you posted is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from what I am. I've made that abundantly clear. They are not the same in any way, shape or form. They're talking about people slamming on their brakes. Not lighting up their tail lights. Now seriously, I'm out this time.
NickNaylor
Lighting up your tail lights can be perceived as an aggressive move and can incite more road rage. Flipping on your blinker cannot. Why can't you admit this. Are you really that hard headed?
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
Fully intended to back out, but my god. What they're talking about in the articles you posted is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from what I am. I've made that abundantly clear. They are not the same in any way, shape or form. They're talking about people slamming on their brakes. Not lighting up their tail lights. Now seriously, I'm out this time.
Ghost91
Been out of town for a few days. Came back and see there's a 6-page thread about an auto accident. Was soooooo looking forward to reading about how TexAgs tracked some f**er down and ruined his life. Imagine my disappointment when I jump in and see it's 6 pages of geeky slap-fighting.
MouthBQ98
AG
If you are following so close you cannot slow or avoid a collision of the vehicle in front of you changed speeds for whatever reason, it is pretty much always your fault, with very few specific exceptions, like a vehicle with faulty brake lights. Back the **** off.

What if that dude was braking momentarily due to some debris in the road? Jack are that is tailgating has zero margin for reaction.

Taping the brakes to flash the brake lights IS the proper way to indicate you believe the spacing between your vehicle and the one following you is unsafe. If someone is an ******* and doesn't react civilly to that common indicator, **** them.
rangerdanger
AG
I've been looking into dash cams for just this kind of crap. The road IQ of this city and it's surrounding suburbia is nil. Anyone have any suggestions?
MouthBQ98
AG
I have a GoPro I use to film outdoors activitoes
Guitarsoup
AG
GoPro is not really ideal for this type of thing.

I tend to like Wirecutter's recommendations, though I have never used any of these.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-dash-cam/
Furlock Bones
AG
On i10 heading towards Houston. 60% plus of vehicles camped out in the left lane.
tk for tu juan
Liquid Wrench

quote:
Lighting up your tail lights can be perceived as an aggressive move and can incite more road rage.
You sound triggered.
Olag00
AG
I think it is funny when I may be a little close and they turn on their headlights causing the tail lights to light up but not actually their brake lights.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:

quote:
Lighting up your tail lights can be perceived as an aggressive move and can incite more road rage.
You sound triggered.
Mildly unrelated:

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2016/09/unhinged-liberal-stops-trump-supporters-home-flips-off-calls-racist-hurls-f-bombs-video/
CDUB98
AG
Sheriff Naylor on the scene to create a perfect world.
FNG
"Unhinged liberal" seems redundant.
Rick Dalton
AG
This thread shows why I feel like murdering someone when I drive around Houston.
ATM9000
AG
quote:
It's used to light up your brake lights and warn the guy behind you he's too close. I didn't slam my brakes. I touched my brakes to put on the lights without decelerating.

LOL... 'warn' the guy. Bull***** Don't poindexter speak to make it sound like anything other than what it REALLY was about: flexing nuts/garnering some retribution on a tailgater. If you move your foot off the accelerator AND tap your break so the light comes on... you've decelerated. Warning the guy can be done with hand gestures (NOT the bird) or caution lights or even flashing your lights on and off a bunch. It's a way to go on the offensive against a tailgater and while I've not been to defensive driving in a long time, I can't remember brake checking being advocated as a way to handle tailgaters. You lost your mind for a minute on the road and turned the situation from one ******** doing ******** things to 2 ********s doing ******** things and subsequently increased the risk of all of those around you.
Illuminaggie
quote:
quote:
Tailgater in that video is a complete moron. Front car is passing an 18 wheeler then stays in the left lane due to merging traffic into the right lane from the on ramp. Nothing wrong with this.
he was definitely tailgating too close no doubt. but, i'll bet you dollars to donuts that car in front of him had been camping in the left for miles.

see it every single day of the week.
There would be more than one vehicle up his ass if he'd been camping for miles. Tailgater was on the dude's bumper immediately even with the obvious entering vehicle. Never gave him a chance to safely get in the right lane before crowding.

Sorry, not sorry but the tailgater was 100% in the wrong. This coming from someone who hates left lane campers.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.