Houston
Sponsored by

Just got road rage hit and runned on the Beltway

25,812 Views | 232 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
Football&Finance
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
just so I'm clear: "brake checking" is where you hit your brakes unnecessarily, in an effort that risks collision with your vehicle and the vehicle behind you? and that will somehow teach them a lesson and not ruin your day?

seems like mutually assured destruction to me

SpreadsheetAg
AG
It's used to light up your brake lights and warn the guy behind you he's too close. I didn't slam my brakes. I touched my brakes to put on the lights without decelerating.

He then moved his vehicle much closer to mine and tailgated me (severely) for about 10-15 seconds. Then when I slowed and stopped. He was right behind me. After about a 2-3 second stop, he just decided to accelerate into me and shove my vehicle out of the way...
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Great:

quote:
Adjustor said that XXXXXXXXXXXXX does not have an active account with XXXX Insurance any longer. To me this sounds like a scam - the guy magically doesn't have insurance now? I bet this company sets people up with fake insurance policies, and they are coincidentally "inactive" when it comes time to pay.

Oh well, glad I have Uninsured / Underinsured coverage. A bit of hassle but minimal out of pocket expense.

Lesson (re)learned
chiken
AG
your definition of "brake check" and my definition are vastly different
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
I thought it might be... I didn't slam on my brakes to try and scare the guy that he might crash into me... I gave them a light tap to engage the lights and "flash" him.
chiken
AG
quote:
quote:
I thought it might be... I didn't slam on my brakes to try and scare the guy that he might crash into me... I gave them a light tap to engage the lights and "flash" him.
wouldn't using your emergency lights have done the job just as well if that's what your intentions were?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
wouldn't using your emergency lights have done the job just as well if that's what your intentions were?

I could be remembering wrong but as I recall defensive driving recommends doing exactly what he did to warn a driver they're too close. There's precisely zero wrong with it and if you're in traffic simply getting out of the way isn't always an option.
chiken
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I could be remembering wrong but as I recall defensive driving recommends doing exactly what he did to warn a driver they're too close. There's precisely zero wrong with it and if you're in traffic simply getting out of the way isn't always an option.
BRAND. NEW. INFORMATION!!!!!!!!!!

In my opinion, that's an awful suggestion for Houston drivers
agz win
AG
Hard to imagine as I've never had anyone come up faster than me.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

BRAND. NEW. INFORMATION!!!!!!!!!!

In my opinion, that's an awful suggestion for Houston drivers

Because emergency lights are materially different?
Diggity
AG
gently tapping the brake a couple times is a good method of warning the people behind you that you're about to hit some traffic, but it probably isn't a great strategy in the OP's situation.

Not going to lie, I have done the same before. Driving in Houston can make a person very irrational.
MAS444
AG
Lucky007:

Other than not having to engage the brakes to activate them?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Don't have to engage the brakes to activate the lights.
62strat
AG
I had a similar situation with an 18 wheeler somewhere on east coast driving up to NYC. There was a long line semis in right lane, so I got in left lane to pass. No one in front of me. After I pass the first one (in the back of the line of semis), he gets over in left lane behind me, right up on me. I'm going about 10 over the speed limit, still steadily passing semis. All I see in mirror is his grill (I'm in my brother's audi sedan). I tap my brakes. It pisses him off. He actually gets right up on my rear bumper and bumps me.. like, enough of a bump that my head swung back a bit.. and we're going 80mph.

I increased my speed to finish passing all these semis and got over in right lane, and he flies by me, had to be 90+. I'm like, later dude, I have to stop and change my underwear.
62strat
AG
This an effective brake check.

The Wonderer
AG
quote:

Actually, that lane squatter should have moved over to allow faster traffic to pass. There was plenty of room after that car merge from the on-ramp...
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
quote:
quote:

Actually, that lane squatter should have moved over to allow faster traffic to pass. There was plenty of room after that car merge from the on-ramp...
agreed

62strat
AG
quote:
quote:

I disagree. The car in front was going a passing speed. (much faster than dashcam car) The tailgater needed to back off a bit and the braker would have passed all cars and moved over in probably another 10 seconds.

Tailgater was way too impatient, and got what he deserved.

If you are behind someone that is actively passing right lane cars, you need to back off and maintain a safe distance and leave an out. There can be two passers. It's not just about you. Let them pass and get over safely, then you have your turn. Just because the passer in front of you is not going as fast as you'd like, as long as they are actively passing (within reason.. ok maybe 1mph over the right lane is not sufficient), you are in the wrong and it is unsafe to tailgate. They have the ability to see what's ahead, you don't.
CDUB98
AG
quote:
I disagree. The car in front was going a passing speed. (much faster than dashcam car) The tailgater needed to back off a bit and the braker would have passed all cars and moved over in probably another 10 seconds.

Tailgater was way too impatient, and got what he deserved.

If you are behind someone that is actively passing right lane cars, you need to back off and maintain a safe distance. There can be two passers. It's not just about you. Let them pass and get over safely, then you have your turn. Just because the passer in front of you is not going as fast as you'd like, as long as they are actively passing, you are in the wrong and it is unsafe to tailgate. They have the ability to see what's ahead, you don't.
I hate to agree with strat, but he's right here.
The Wonderer
AG
when there is 100 to 200 feet between cars, you need to move over and allow faster traffic to pass and then return to passing after faster traffic has past you.

ETA: And obviously there was plenty of room to move over because he did just that after the other car went off the road...
Diggity
AG
Courtesy is a two-way street.
Liquid Wrench
You sound like a meth-head truck driver. Stop giving terrible advice.

It's not the responsibility of the car in front of you to magically disappear when you're having erratic emotional impulses.

And there's nothing wrong with tapping the brakes to get the attention of the mouth-breather driving behind you and try to warn them that traffic may be slowing ahead. It's responsible defensive driving.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
quote:
And there's nothing wrong with tapping the brakes to get the attention of the mouth-breather driving behind you and try to warn them that traffic may be slowing ahead.
BrazosDog02
AG
Im a brake checking mother****er. You ride my ass, you better be pretty GD quick with your reflexes. I have two old trucks...Im ready for a new bumper whenever you are.

I did have one dirtbag dump a soda on my door a while back because he thought I pulled out in front of him. While I wondered if he considered the possibility of me pulling out my loaded pistol and mag dumping the .40 on his passenger and him....I just took his plate and went on with life.

Who knew a shady buddy could run it and tell me where he parks his car after he goes into work. It worked out.

That brake check video is SPLENDID!
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
You sound like a meth-head truck driver. Stop giving terrible advice.

It's not the responsibility of the car in front of you to magically disappear when you're having erratic emotional impulses.

And there's nothing wrong with tapping the brakes to get the attention of the mouth-breather driving behind you and try to warn them that traffic may be slowing ahead. It's responsible defensive driving.
Top notch insult there.

And it is the responsibility of a car in the left lane to move over to the right lane if not actively passing as is the law in the vast majority of the states.

Activating you brake lights without slamming on your brakes is fine. The moment you slam your brakes to brake check a tailgater, you become just as big as a cock gobbler as they are.
62strat
AG
quote:
when there is 100 to 200 feet between cars, you need to move over and allow faster traffic to pass and then return to passing after faster traffic has past you.

ETA: And obviously there was plenty of room to move over because he did just that after the other car went off the road...
there was plenty of room because the car that entered the on ramp slowed way they hell down when he sensed the swerving of tailgater. The beaker continued his speed, so a huge gap quickly opened up. There was no reason for breaker to squeeze in between existing car on right and the one entering the ramp. That would just puss off that ramp guy. Again, why multiple cars get uncomfortable because of one impatient guy? There is a compromise with using passing lanes, you have to let those in front of you have a safe opportunity to move over, without excessive speeding. This may take passing quite a few cars to do so.

70mph is 100ft/sec, so entering a 100' space is only a half a second between you and either car. For the two second rule, you'd need 400'
At 45mph, sure maybe 100-150' could be sufficient.
FtBendTxAg
AG
If I'm being tailgated when I am already closely behind someone else while in a steady stream of traffic I break check the hell out of people. People that don't get common traffic concepts piss me off.
aggiebq03+
T&P for your rear end SpreadsheetAg
schmellba99
AG
You ride my ass, you better be a fuggin ninja with reflexes, because I have zero issue letting you see red lights and my bumper up close. I drive an omder truck, it is paid for and a new bumper at your expense is no skin off my nose.

And I guarandamned tee you that I can and will return any fire, significantly more accurately and likely at a higher volume.

I pretty much hate all drivers on the road. Especially asshes that dont do the zipper method, that drive slow in the left lane or that pace the car next to them so that nobody can pass. Or, 99.999% of all Houston area drivers. Fuggem all.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
I pretty much hate all drivers on the road. Especially asshes that dont do the zipper method, that drive slow in the left lane or that pace the car next to them so that nobody can pass. Or, 99.999% of all Houston area drivers. Fuggem all.
Jock 07
AG
Spreadsheet updated
suburban cowboy
AG
I would have brake checked him and flipped him off.
Post removed:
by user
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
I really to make it a point to keep my AK in a reachable location while rolling around town.

People are nuts.

Sometimes I drive down highway 6 in the evenings between I-10 and Westpark Tollway, and this area has a tendency to back up pretty well during rush hours. It never fails, that there are dozens of people who roll down the shoulder as a 4th lane. One day, I'm going to put someone in the ditch.
Just straddle the line to block half of the shoulder. I do it all the time to keep people from flying past a line and force their way in at the last minute.
ccolley68
AG
quote:
quote:
Well it wasn't my finer moment, but I didn't break the law - he did... Talked to the LEO, dude has priors and several warrants. He DID have insurance, and 2 witnesses also called in to report the accident which helps my case.

I actually got alot of info from the LEO, whereby I could track this guy down very quickly. But I won't. Not worth it.
Send the ****er dildos for Christmas every year with a note telling him that you know who he is.

Winning!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.