Kreuz - Forks & Sauce

32,162 Views | 222 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Fonzie Scheme
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
halibut sinclair
ksp
Today at 1:30, 3 cars at kruezs, about 25 at IHOP. I never see more then 5 or 6 cars there.
BCStalk
quote:
Today at 1:30, 3 cars at kruezs, about 25 at IHOP. I never see more then 5 or 6 cars there.

I don't ever eat there. I prefer take out so I can use my own bread at home. Possibly a large amount of people do the same. Maybe for a different reason of course.
aggiegal99
I was there at lunch today. Brisket and pork ribs were fantastic. Marco was doing cutting duty, and threw in the end piece for me. Perfect!

Also, the banana pudding. So good!
ksp
quote:
quote:

I don't ever eat there. I prefer take out so I can use my own bread at home. Possibly a large amount of people do the same. Maybe for a different reason of course.
Hopefully. Not a fan of theirs but sure hope they succeed!
MiMi
S
Had dinner there on Saturday. There was only one other car in the parking lot. Had the smoked prime rib, which was very good. We were there about 45 minutes and only 4 more people came in and ordered. I've only been there twice before and it's always been nearly empty.
FlyRod
Folks who work there tell me they're doing fine. They get business in waves.

And of course as a wise one once said, summers can be tough on restaurants around here.
ksp
quote:
Folks who work there tell me they're doing fine. They get business in waves.

And of course as a wise one once said, summers can be tough on restaurants around here.
I suspect NO business would ever admit they are doing bad and/or failing. That usually does not happen.
FlyRod
Actually the dude I know there, Lee, is VERY candid about the problems they've had in the past, how much business they lost, etc. and not shy about going into detail. So I'm inclined to believe him when he (and others) say they're doing fine. No one there told me they are making bank....just that they've turned a corner on some pretty bad times.
techno-ag
AG
I noticed they're advertising more, like on billboards coming into town. So maybe that and the start of the school year will help them pick up in business.

And it's not really apples to apples when comparing them to IHOP. Lots of folks just stop into IHOP for a cup of coffee and conversation, not 10, 20, 30 dollars in brisket.
95_Aggie
AG
I think if Aaron Franklin himself opened a bbq joint in this town people would complain. It's like B/CS is some kind of culinary mecca.
FlyRod
Uh no. People who drool over GoCo and fried chicken strips and then complain about good BBQ or gourmet burgers do not make this a culinary Mecca. More like culinary schizophrenia.
95_Aggie
AG
That was my point
FlyRod
My bad. Under caffeinated.
ksp
quote:
I noticed they're advertising more, like on billboards coming into town. So maybe that and the start of the school year will help them pick up in business.

And it's not really apples to apples when comparing them to IHOP. Lots of folks just stop into IHOP for a cup of coffee and conversation, not 10, 20, 30 dollars in brisket.
Every restaurant I passed down the bypass was packed, not just Ihop. Just a odd time to be empty after church was out. Used Ihop since they we next door.

Good luck to them, again hope they are making it!

I rarely eat out as I can make just about every thing better at home myself.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
and then complain about good BBQ or gourmet burgers do not make this a culinary Mecca.
I ate there once right after they opened.

It was the worst "BBQ" I have ever choked down. Hopefully, they've gotten better, but I have no desire to go back. Based on their parking lot every time I've passed by, I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Wanting our town to have a greater variety of non-chains doesn't mean we have to eat crappy food just to seem "cultured."
CDub06
AG
But based on the reviews here and even those of the BBQ Snob himself, many people strongly disagree. I personally wouldn't swear a place off because it was bad "right after" opening day. It's worth a shot because it really is good and is easily the 2nd best in B/CS (and it's a long gap to #3).
ZoneClubber
AG
I am a BBQ snob, and I also bbq regularly, occasionally cook in contests, and always at tailgates.

I ate there last Friday. Good lunch crowd. The brisket was excellent: tender and a fantastic bark on it. Also had a pork rib which was good and the green bean sides were spicy and tasty.

Glad I went.
techno-ag
halibut sinclair
FlyRod
Well, okay then
Mathguy64
AG
I am sort of a BBQ snob. I do love good BBQ and I cook a ton of it at home. Some of you really don't know what you are missing and have your noses all bent out of joint over something they have corrected. If you want sauce they actually have a pretty good one and they have all they forks you could possibly want. Years ago Toms served the Aggie Special with by today's standards fairly average BBQ and only a knife and people thought that was great.

Ate there tonight and had a great smoked pork chop. Didn't need a knife or a fork; it came with a built in handle. I got lucky and got an end cut. It was moist, tender and had a nice crispy fat crust.

Between the chop, the shoulder clod, beef rib and smoked prime rib on the weekend, they are doing some really good proteins that you just can't get anywhere else in town. Heck, you can't get them within a 80 miles. I get their sausage isn't for everyone. I like it, the rest of the family doesn't. But I encourage you to branch out and try something besides sausage.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
I am sort of a BBQ snob. I do love good BBQ and I cook a ton of it at home. Some of you really don't know what you are missing and have your noses all bent out of joint over something they have corrected. If you want sauce they actually have a pretty good one and they have all they forks you could possibly want. Years ago Toms served the Aggie Special with by today's standards fairly average BBQ and only a knife and people thought that was great.

Ate there tonight and had a great smoked pork chop. Didn't need a knife or a fork; it came with a built in handle. I got lucky and got an end cut. It was moist, tender and had a nice crispy fat crust.

Between the chop, the shoulder clod, beef rib and smoked prime rib on the weekend, they are doing some really good proteins that you just can't get anywhere else in town. Heck, you can't get them within a 80 miles. I get their sausage isn't for everyone. I like it, the rest of the family doesn't. But I encourage you to branch out and try something besides sausage.

Agreed with all this.
FlyRod
AggiePirate
AG
Can we also appreciate that they carry that cool line of cane sugar drinks. So fun! Believe torchy's does too, FYI.
FlyRod
As a native of Maine, I do dig that an iconic Texas BBQ joint sells a line of Maine produced sodas.
rhoswen
AG
You let me know when they start carrying Moxie. It's too expensive to ship down here more than once!
FlyRod
Moxie has changed. They add sugar now.
techno-ag
AG
FlyRod
halibut sinclair
RV Ag
Glad to hear good things. Guess it wasn't a fair chance the 1st time we went at the opening when they were getting stampeded by customers.

Plan to try it again soon
happyinBCS
Went today for lunch myself and 2 other people in there. I had 2 pork ribs a small german potato salad and water to drink . 12.87 I will not be back, there is much better and less expensive BBQ in BCS.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.