Kreuz - Forks & Sauce

32,174 Views | 222 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Fonzie Scheme
Bucketrunner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We really liked the Kreuz ribs and sausage. Brisket was good, not great. Next time, I want to try the prime rib. Anyone eaten that yet?

As to forks: we just brought our own little plastic ones. Problem solved.

I don't use sauce on barbecue or steaks. I like to taste the flavor of the meat. To each his own.
techno-ag
AG
Amen. Love Brenda too.
techno-ag
AG
I have tried the Kreuz prime rib, & it's excellent.
FlyRod
Can you elaborate on the prime rib, techno? Have had the shoulder clod and it's the one thing I found pretty boring. Is the prime rib something someone could bring home and plan a nice dinner around?
australopithecus robustus
FlyRod
Whoa.
malibu9in1
Bought a couple pounds of brisket for my hands at the shop. Asked the kid for a small piece of jal sausage too try. Maybe next time I'll buy it. Just wanted too see how spicy. Anyhow. He said no. I have too buy the whole link. I understand. But them being new too our area. But maybe he's right
eloc62
that makes sense txyaloo. thanks.
txyaloo
AG
quote:
We really liked the Kreuz ribs and sausage. Brisket was good, not great. Next time, I want to try the prime rib. Anyone eaten that yet?

As to forks: we just brought our own little plastic ones. Problem solved.

I don't use sauce on barbecue or steaks. I like to taste the flavor of the meat. To each his own.
I didn't find the prime rib great. I like mine medium rare, and the cut I got was very close to well done. Really disappointing.
DeckMe80
Went last Friday and ordered 8 ounces of prime rib. They handed me a piece that had a 3 ounce hunk of pure fat on the end. I figure for $20 a pound they should trim some of the fat.

We were there during what should have been the dinner rush and there were not many customers., which does not bode well for their future. I am sure it doesn't help them that the Boonville Rd. exit ramp project is still not finished after five months, but that's another thread.....

AggiePirate
AG
quote:
Can you elaborate on the prime rib, techno? Have had the shoulder clod and it's the one thing I found pretty boring. Is the prime rib something someone could bring home and plan a nice dinner around?
I can take this one. Have had the, I guess, half pound slab of it. There has never been anything more succulent that I have ever placed into mine own mouth this side of Dixie, that came from an eatery at least.

Do yourself a service and try you some. As far as planning a family dinner around it, well I think that is a bad idea as I think there would be fights started over who gets what piece. I find it has the same affect on me as the ring does on gollum.

I just pray that you have a family of Frodo's...or that you are forever alone and thus do not have to share.
FlyRod
Thanks, Pirate. Our family fights, but not over food. We just make sure there's enough.

It's not like the time friends and I went camping in a canyon in Arizona and the Pappy Van Winkle ran out, but that's another story that turned ugly really fast.
MAlovedphotography
my husband and i are not fans, and its not because of the no fork/sause deal... the brisket was nothing but fat. if you cut it and you see that, dont serve it to me, and charge me for it. i get that there will be some fat to the meat, but not 90% of it. we waited 2 months to go let them get a good run in. highly disappointed, we got a little of everything to try. none tasted good, beans tasted like it was out of can. my husband said the potatoes were too salty. the mac n cheese tasted like poweder. id rather eat dickys ( even though people say it isnt real bbq lol, it has way better taste. and a lot less fat.) i will stick to fargos, martins and C&Js
Brewmaster
AG
quote:
Both are good. I prefer Fargo's ribs for sure.
amen. They have the best ribs in town. As for brisket, I haven't tried Kreuz yet, but it seems most places are luck of the draw. We just had catered brisket at a wedding this past weekend - it was an outfit out of Navasota (the name escapes me), but it was excellent.
ksp
quote:
quote:
Both are good. I prefer Fargo's ribs for sure.
amen. They have the best ribs in town. As for brisket, I haven't tried Kreuz yet, but it seems most places are luck of the draw. We just had catered brisket at a wedding this past weekend - it was an outfit out of Navasota (the name escapes me), but it was excellent.
Mallett bothers?
txyaloo
AG
quote:
my husband and i are not fans, and its not because of the no fork/sause deal... the brisket was nothing but fat. if you cut it and you see that, dont serve it to me, and charge me for it. i get that there will be some fat to the meat, but not 90% of it. we waited 2 months to go let them get a good run in. highly disappointed, we got a little of everything to try. none tasted good, beans tasted like it was out of can. my husband said the potatoes were too salty. the mac n cheese tasted like poweder. id rather eat dickys ( even though people say it isnt real bbq lol, it has way better taste. and a lot less fat.) i will stick to fargos, martins and C&Js
Sounds like you should have ordered the shoulder clod instead of the brisket.

Brisket should have fat. Fat is what makes it tasty. Hell, it ticks me off when Rudy's throws away the fat cap vs serving it on request. That crispy fat is the best part of a brisket.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I always order the brisket from the marbled end. I like to have the fatty side. If you don't like the fat you don't have to eat it, but that side tastes the best. I find your statement about 90% of it being fat a likely overstatement. And if you had a problem with that you could've asked them to trim that off at the time.

Like I said earlier, to each their own especially with bbq. But don't just make stuff up in order to convince someone that your preferred bbq is better. Just say "hey this is what I like and I'll continue to support this other business." Fine. I like most of the local bbq places, except dickey's. I like to go around and experience the variety. But if I don't like something I don't feel the need to come here and blast a place just because it isn't my cup of tea.
CDub06
AG
Sauce at Kruez? We indeed live in a fallen world.

Repent ye sinners.
dachsie
Meeting some frieds here for dinner tonite. Looking forward to trying it out
Expert Analysis
AG
was only a matter of time on the forks, losing business because of something so silly is not smart. still going to bite them for some time.
the food is good though. brisket, half chicken, and both kinds of sausage were all good. I liked the beans, the potatoes were different, but good.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
People in BCS wont be happy until every restaurant is either chillis or olive garden. The local yokels wont let us have nice things.

Little do they know that people in this area just like to complain and it will just shift the complaints to a different non-issue.

"no bbq sauce" will shift to " I cant believe they dont carry ketchup" .
gopitt
A barbeque joint not having forks is just plain senseless.
I thought their brisket was so salty it was almost inedible.
Won't stop by again anytime soon. Too many other great choices.
FlyRod
Edmond Dantes FTW. POTD.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
It was the first thing I had there. I thought it was extremely good, on par with a fine restaurant. I'll try it again next time I go and see if it still measures up.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:
Sounds like you should have ordered the shoulder clod instead of the brisket.

Brisket should have fat. Fat is what makes it tasty. Hell, it ticks me off when Rudy's throws away the fat cap vs serving it on request. That crispy fat is the best part of a brisket.
Had lunch there today (Fargo's closed on Mondays). Had a half pound of brisket, half marbled, half trim. I liked them both. But that's an option folks can try if they're unsure of what to get (or if they like both).

And it was fairly busy even before 12.
mazag08
AG
quote:
People in BCS wont be happy until every restaurant is either chillis or olive garden. The local yokels wont let us have nice things.

Little do they know that people in this area just like to complain and it will just shift the complaints to a different non-issue.

No, the complains were completely legit. Those were two really, really, really dumb policies for a BBQ joint moving into a saturated market to try.

People also complained they were highly average. I would consider going back now that Im not forced to use a spoon for a pork steak, but I'm not going back because the food just isn't anything special compared to other places, especially for the price.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
People that dont like fat on brisket don't like brisket and should refrain from giving it reviews.
BCStalk
You mean you don't like flavorless brisket?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:

God forbid people want to eat their meal with a f-ing fork. And the sausage link that I had the second night they were open was the most God-awful piece of greasy sludge I've ever eaten. To label it "food" is being generous.

This was a stupid blanket statement about the people of this town that couldn't be farther from the truth.

People anywhere want food that is good quality, at a fair price and not being told it's "company policy" that you have to eat with your f-ing fingers. Or else, next time bring your own utensils. Guess what? There won't be a next time. THAT'S why this place is obviously failing: poor quality (as evidenced by many on this thread), high prices and general lack of common sense by the owners.

I drove by this place last Saturday at noon. There was one car in the parking lot. One. I thought they were closed.
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
This was a stupid blanket statement about the people of this town that couldn't be farther from the truth.
In Dantes defence, BCS is the king of holding poor to average places in high regard(ex. Laynes, Fuego, Cracker Barrel)
ksp
quote:

Or just difference of opinions.

Not a fan of kruez's since a lockhart visit, but thought the fork thing was a bit ignorant myself.

prefer to cook my own BBQ over ever buying it out.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
[That is not the way to post on this forum. -Staff]
Brazos Belle
This is what we got with our take out from there. Though the amount of fat was ridiculous, what we were shocked at is it was sliced with the grain instead of against. We got 2 sandwiches out of 1.5 pounds of brisket. This local yokel / townie won't be back!

http://s28.postimg.org/9bws9gsv1/IMG_1654.jpg
meinkee
Spouse and son innocently went in to Kreutz for lunch. Based on their everything was extra...experience that came to Forty six dollars for lunch!!! I will stick with Fargo's and c and j
AggiePirate
AG
RIP Kreutz, you are either not ready for this dual town or it is not ready for you. Your uppityness may have just rivaled our own. No one is more uppity than us townies. Brenham wishes it was.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.