Kreuz - Forks & Sauce

31,956 Views | 222 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Fonzie Scheme
Sweet Kitten Feet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
They caved to the complainers and now have forks and sauce. I honored the tradition though. Sad. They made it over 100 years in Lockhart and BCS has corrupted them in a matter of months.

Yeah Yeah I know, responding to their market. I get it. Just funnin. But I'll still eat it the Lockhart way. And it was excellent today. Been 3 times. Tonight was the best. Brisket was incredible.
techno-ag
AG
Seriously? They caved to online and local pressure? What wimps!
rsa
AG
Their barbecue is serviceable at best. There are too many good places locally to worry whether or not some outsiders have forks.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
To each their own. Especially with barbeque. But it's my favorite. Love that they're local now.
PS3D
They've had plastic spoons and knives for the last 100 years?
BCStalk
quote:
They've had plastic spoons and knives for the last 100 years?

Bravo. You beat me to it.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Its no Dickies but its ok i guess..
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I keed..Dickies is the suck.
Rex Racer
AG
Wife and I ate there a couple of weeks ago. The brisket was REALLY salty. It had good flavor, but again, REALLY salty. So salty we wondered if it is always like that or if someone messed up.
Dr. Teeth
AG
quote:
Their barbecue is serviceable at best.

That.

The only thing it has over every other barbecue place in town is that it's closer to my house.
AggiePhil
AG
Good bull.
double b
AG
Ate there and thought it was real good. I still think Fargos ribs are better. I see myself going the Kruez or Fargos and never visiting any of the others.
eloc62
Kreuz bbq sauce question? i have eaten at Kreuz several times both in Lockhart and here. they never had sauce. my question is where did the sauce come from? did they all of a sudden decide to start making their own sauce? just wondering.
txyaloo
AG
quote:
Kreuz bbq sauce question? i have eaten at Kreuz several times both in Lockhart and here. they never had sauce. my question is where did the sauce come from? did they all of a sudden decide to start making their own sauce? just wondering.
My guess would be from the Lockhart Smokehouse in Dallas. They're run by the same family. Lockhart Smokehouse also tried no forks/no sauce and quickly lost that battle.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/bestof/2011/award/best-waffle-2400540/
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Ate there and thought it was real good. I still think Fargos ribs are better. I see myself going the Kruez or Fargos and never visiting any of the others.
DontBeTriggered
I'd be afraid to eat their new sauce. Probably ticked off they have to serve it. I just won't go there. Sauce is my favorite part.
PS3D
quote:
I'd be afraid to eat their new sauce. Probably ticked off they have to serve it. I just won't go there. Sauce is my favorite part.

"Secret's in the sauce!"
marrocco
When I ate there at the start of the month one of the employees was relaying to someone how they've been yelled at by extremely irate customers for not having forks and sauce. So I'm saddened but not surprised that they've relented on the tradition.
AggiePirate
AG
Like they already had "hot sauce" at the tables so they technically had sauce from the get go. Srsly though forks should be there for pepl who dont want to ruin their dress, or business suit or whatever...
BCStalk
Still not going to poor sugar sauce all over my already delicious BBQ.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
As for the No Sauce policy, while I didn't like it I think they should have stuck to their guns on that. They don't feel that their food needs sauce, they shouldn't offer it.

I am glad they finally caved on the No Forks policy because that made no sense. Having to tell customers to just use a spoon because they refuse to stock forks made them sound really stupid.

Still, my family's experience there was so bland that I don't think this will get us back anytime soon.
PhiAggie
AG
quote:

They did it to stay in business here and not go the way of Tony Romas. This community can certainly determine whether an establishment makes it or breaks it, and providing cheap frickin forks is no reason to fail over a stupid nuance.
PhiAggie
AG
quote:
As for the No Sauce policy, while I didn't like it I think they should have stuck to their guns on that. They don't feel that their food needs sauce, they shouldn't offer it.

I am glad they finally caved on the No Forks policy because that made no sense. Having to tell customers to just use a spoon because they refuse to stock forks made them sound really stupid.

Still, my family's experience there was so bland that I don't think this will get us back anytime soon.

Agree with this.

Wife and I haven't been in a hurry to go from the feedback that's been given, but we still want to give it a try eventually.
FlyRod
Dickey's is so pretentious and frou-frou, not sure who they're trying to impress. McDonalds and GoCo all the way.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
quote:
Their local BBQ isn't good enough for me to give two shiits about whether or not they now have forks and/or sauce.

I'd rather eat at Dickey's. No joke.

You always sound so pleasant.
Brewmaster
AG
Fargo's for me, no thank you Kreuz
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Fargo's for me, no thank you Kreuz
Both are good. I prefer Fargo's ribs for sure. Kreuz makes better sides and ice tea. Still haven't decided on the brisket. Need several more samples of each.
KidDoc
AG
I went to CJ's and loved their sausage but the smoked turkey was pretty dry and not great.

Only been to each on once (just moved here 3 months ago) so I'm still comparing at this point. I really need to go early enough to get ribs at each.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FlyRod
Love Fargo's and Kreuz's. Different kinds of places. First few trips to Kreuz's the brisket was meh. It really got better and the pitman was really good about taking feedback. I know a lot of people find their sausage off-putting but I like the weird texture and dare I say, the grease (Paleo!). Sides are still meh to me but really starting to dig the sauerkraut.
And have been giving C&J another look. Last two visits they've really improved their brisket and their turkey is great. Best cole slaw too IMO (don't like the creamy kind). I also think it's cool they have a "day old bread" version of BBQ going on too at discount...hate food waste and this helps folks on a budget enjoy some 'cue.
Proud of our BBQ joints...have been since Randy Sims's was in business.
BCStalk
Agreed. First time was ok second time was very good. I've only had the brisket and jalapeo sausage.
techno-ag
AG
quote:

RIP.
Picadillo
Great.

Meddlesome eaters worry about how others eat BBQ. If you don't want sauce or forks, knock yourself out; go for it.

Leave the rest of us alone and STFU.

Good business move.
Prune Tracy
quote:
quote:

RIP.

That place was legit. Miss the orange trays, "sliced or chopped?", and the fried okra.
Tanya 93
quote:
Seriously? They caved to online and local pressure? What wimps!
Yes, catering to their customers is wimpy.
BCStalk
quote:
quote:
quote:

RIP.

That place was legit. Miss the orange trays, "sliced or chopped?", and the fried okra.

Definitely 100% Bryan/College Station people. Aggie football player, business owner, and county judge. RIP Mr. Randy

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.