Kreuz - Forks & Sauce

32,130 Views | 222 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Fonzie Scheme
gopitt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
$46 for lunch!!
See ya. This place is history.
FlyRod
While I like the food, the price issue is real. Most BBQ places offer items for all price points--wraps, sandwiches, plate specials, etc. Kreuz will definitely have to do this to stay in the game around here. Could not agree more that they are pricey.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
$46 for lunch!!
See ya. This place is history.
Well, it's a BBQ place, so everything is a la carte. Brisket runs about 16/lb at the moment. A small side runs 1.69. I forget what a drink runs, but it's probably close to $2. A sausage runs 4.50, IIRC.

The first time I went, I sampled a lot and dropped close to $20. Now I know I want, and I can get a meal for around 10. If I'm hungry I may spend 15. Basically, a quarter pound of brisket, one side, a slice of cheese, bread slices and a drink come out to about 10.00 after tax. I'd say it's about on par with other places.
gopitt
A $46 lunch tab is NOT on par with most places. We're talking barbeque, not Christopher's or The Republic. If people want to pay those insane prices then go for it.
The people in this area (or any area) will not pay those price for brisket and beans. I give it 6 months unless they change their price points.
And not offering forks is just totally obnoxious when you serve food that requires that utensil.
Sounds like they are a little full of themselves.
I'll do Rudy's, Fargo's or hell, even McDonald's for $8 or $9 before I pay those insane prices.
techno-ag
AG
The point is you don't have to spend $46 for lunch there. You don't have to try every single thing offered, though I could see how a first time visitor might want to.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Yeah the problem is everything is individual, I'll concede that. I'd like to see them offer plate combos like other places. 2 meats and 2 sides is $XX. Instead of my 1/4 lb of brisket is $X, my beans are $Y, and my drink is $Z. Your eyes and mind can get bigger than your wallet real fast. However, after the first time it happened I'm more careful now and know how much meat I really need.

That said, we went with a family of 6 on Saturday had a pound of brisket, some chicken, a few sausage links, drinks, the sides we wanted, and came out less than 60 bucks. So when you're careful and think about what you're ordering and how much you really need it's fine. But I would like to some combo plates offered just for simplicity.
FlyRod
Actually techno has a point; if you order modest amounts, you can get away for $10-$15 lunch, which is not unreasonable. Their $6 half chicken is a good deal.

It's when you are trying to feed a family that the costs add up...
gopitt
"Well, it's a BBQ place, so everything is a la carte"

BBQ places offer combo deals just about everywhere yet you talk like a la carte is the norm for a BBQ joint. It's just their way of making more money.
And the price of forks must be just killing them.
Tanya 93
quote:

BBQ places offer combo deals just about everywhere yet you talk like a la carte is the norm for a BBQ joint. It's just their way of making more money.
Yeah, I have never been to a BBQ place that didn't have plates.

nope, changed my mind about going this way on the thread
CN
Had it not been for this thread, I would've never known they rescinded their no forks no sauce policy. I'm sure there are many others who thought that the policy was stupid and might not give them another chance because of it so maybe they need to get the word out. I personally don't think their food is good enough to overlook silly policies. If Fargo's suddenly stopped offering sauce and forks, I'd still go there because their food is worth it.

I find it interesting that many have said that they thought the brisket was too salty and too fatty. My experience was that the brisket was kind of bland and too lean (I don't think I asked for or was offered a lean cut). The ribs however were so salty they were almost inedible.

I'll give them another chance since I've only eaten there once and it sounds like things have changed. I still prefer Fargo's but they're an extra 10-15 minutes round trip for me and Fargo's hours and availability of product doesn't always work out for me.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:

Not sure I've been to a good BBQ place that didn't offer a la carte.
Tanya 93
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not sure I've been to a good BBQ place that didn't offer a la carte.
If you say so.

dachsie
Last nite they did offer a combo plate - it was a 1/2 chicken and 2 sides for $9.99. I sampled a few things so my bill was $24 but I also have another meal out of it that I took home. My only complaint was that I ordered 1/4 lb brisket and they just cut one slab f meat instead of slicing it thin like you normally see. i guess i should of asked for it like that but being my first visit, i didnt know. The flavor was good and I did like the sauce they had. i ate some with and without the sauce and both ways were good.
MAlovedphotography
quote:
I always order the brisket from the marbled end. I like to have the fatty side. If you don't like the fat you don't have to eat it, but that side tastes the best. I find your statement about 90% of it being fat a likely overstatement. And if you had a problem with that you could've asked them to trim that off at the time.

Like I said earlier, to each their own especially with bbq. But don't just make stuff up in order to convince someone that your preferred bbq is better. Just say "hey this is what I like and I'll continue to support this other business." Fine. I like most of the local bbq places, except dickey's. I like to go around and experience the variety. But if I don't like something I don't feel the need to come here and blast a place just because it isn't my cup of tea.

if he would have had it trimmed there would have been nothing left. "make stuff up"? please. there is nothing to make up. im not here to "impress" anyone. everyone else has voiced their opinion just as i have, we may have just gone on a bad day. but thats what we paid for and werent please.
CDub06
AG
You people exhaust me.

I've never been to a decent BBQ place that does not offer food a la carte and that is the way I generally order. It's easy to make your own plate. You still get to pick what meat you want AND you get to pick how much. If you don't know how much you want weight-wise, you can order by the slice. Just tell them.

Yes, BBQ is more expensive than other options because the price of beef is through the roof right now. I dropped $100+ last weekend for (overindulgent) lunch for two at Killen's. And, yes, there was plenty of fat on those cuts of meat. Because I like flavor.

I agree that it's necessary to have forks, but I still find it amazing that Kreuz broke a 100+ year old tradition of not having sauce. Because honestly, the people that want sauce are not their target market. The places covering their meats in sauce have something to hide. And the patrons covering good meat in sauce are hurling a slap to the face of the pitmasters.

It's amazing that a community that lauds sub-par C&J's can disparage a long-time icon of Texas barbecue. If you're just looking at price point and are not concerned with getting good Texas barbecue, then Kreuz
isn't for you. Keep eating your beloved C&J's. They will serve you a chopped beef sandwich and some potato salad for a lower price.
gopitt
"The price of beef is through the roof right now." So they can gouge you?
Do Wendy's, Mickey D's, Burger King, etc., serve all beef burgers ? How much have they raised their prices? Not noticed increase in pricing at other BBQ joints and they even supply forks no charge.
Some people get taken to the cleaners without even realizing that places serving beef have kept their prices pretty stable.
CDub06
AG
quote:
"The price of beef is through the roof right now." So they can gouge you?
Do Wendy's, Mickey D's, Burger King, etc., serve all beef burgers ? How much have they raised their prices? Not noticed increase in pricing at other BBQ joints and they even supply forks no charge.
Some people get taken to the cleaners without even realizing that places serving beef have kept their prices pretty stable.
I'm talking specifically about the barbecue cuts: brisket, beef ribs. You must not frequent any BBQ joints if you haven't noticed an increase in the prices of their beef items. I've seen it nearly across the board, even locally at Fargo's.

Meanwhile, the pork options and chicken have remained pretty constant. They typically give the consumer the best value and the restaurant the highest margins.
pattybrhg
Then you haven't been to C&J's specifically in a year. Their lunch combos went from like. $8.50 to just under $11 - and that's after they took brisket off of the lunch combo daily list. They've gone up close to 20%. That you're comparing mass fast food burgers using low end meat to anything bbq really makes the poster above's argument for him. That was a silly enough statement that I'm just going to assume you were trolling.
FlyRod
quote:
Do Wendy's, Mickey D's, Burger King, etc., serve all beef burgers ?

Uh...that might be debatable.
FlyRod
This is very evocative of those older threads where CMac would ask what people were prepared to pay for a good burger, and than had to duck due to the responses...
91_Aggie
AG
quote:
You people exhaust me.

I've never been to a decent BBQ place that does not offer food a la carte and that is the way I generally order. It's easy to make your own plate. You still get to pick what meat you want AND you get to pick how much. If you don't know how much you want weight-wise, you can order by the slice. Just tell them.

Yes, BBQ is more expensive than other options because the price of beef is through the roof right now. I dropped $100+ last weekend for (overindulgent) lunch for two at Killen's. And, yes, there was plenty of fat on those cuts of meat. Because I like flavor.

I agree that it's necessary to have forks, but I still find it amazing that Kreuz broke a 100+ year old tradition of not having sauce. Because honestly, the people that want sauce are not their target market. The places covering their meats in sauce have something to hide. And the patrons covering good meat in sauce are hurling a slap to the face of the pitmasters.

It's amazing that a community that lauds sub-par C&J's can disparage a long-time icon of Texas barbecue. If you're just looking at price point and are not concerned with getting good Texas barbecue, then Kreuz
isn't for you. Keep eating your beloved C&J's. They will serve you a chopped beef sandwich and some potato salad for a lower price.

This is so stupid about the BBQ sauce. Franklin BBQ, which is highly regarded offers BBQ sauce and I'm pretty sure the pit master doesn't take it as a slap on the face

I just can't imagine the low-esteem someone must have that they feel they must use their "knowledge" of how to eat BBQ the "right" way as their means of appearing superior to others.
CDub06
AG
quote:
This is so stupid about the BBQ sauce. Franklin BBQ, which is highly regarded offers BBQ sauce and I'm pretty sure the pit master doesn't take it as a slap on the face

I just can't imagine the low-esteem someone must have that they feel they must use their "knowledge" of how to eat BBQ the "right" way as their means of appearing superior to others.
Oh yes, I get all of my self-worth from telling off this whiny community. But back to the actual topic, I never said you were eating BBQ the wrong way. I was simply justifying how many pitmasters view sauces.

Aaron Franklin does make sauce and it's even sold at HEB. He has said that he does not like people putting sauce on his meat, but since they demanded it, he wanted it to be the best "craft" sauce they could get.

This is not unique to barbecue. I don't see it different from going to The Republic and covering a steak with steak sauce. Regardless of who prepared your meal, if they have pride in their product, you defacing it in such a way is going to be offensive.

"But I like the taste of BBQ Sauce/ Steak Sauce." Great, then you don't need to spend your paycheck at The Republic or at Kreuz. Save your money and cover a lesser piece of meat with your favorite topping.
WILDMAN95
AG
1. The Rudy's concept was modeled after the historically "best" Texas BBQ joints, such as Kreuz/Black's/Snow's/Mueller/Coopers/etc. of offering a complete a la carte menu so that you can build your plate how you want it.

2. It is easy to spend $46 at Rudy's too.

3. I went to Fargo's for the first time back in March, and was pretty disappointed. The brisket was dry and bland. The sausage and sides were boring. It was a Friday, so I couldn't try the rib tips. Guess I should have had ribs, and I probably went in expecting too much after hearing such great things on here and from Gabe.

4. Good 'Q doesn't need sauce. But I do like the thin vinegar/cayenne stuff provided at some of the joints mentioned above on occasion. Especially to sop up with bread.

5. BBQ discussions always end up like this one, and I don't understand why. People have different tastes, and the more meat out there to try, the better. I don't understand the need to try and bring down (and discourage others from trying) a new business in town.

6. Dickey's is fine. I'm sure it's the favorite of some folks. It is sort of like the Casa Ole of BBQ places. Or the Olive Garden of BBQ places.
FlyRod
quote:
4. Good 'Q doesn't need sauce. But I do like the thin vinegar/cayenne stuff provided at some of the joints mentioned above on occasion. Especially to sop up with bread.

Yep. When I stop at Meyer's or Southside Market in Elgin, I'll use that vinegar and hot pepper sauce in bottles on the tables...just never been a fan of those sugary ketchupy ones. I'd have no objection to Kreuz's putting out bottles of those (and I'm not talking about basic hot sauce, which they already have).
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
4. Good 'Q doesn't need sauce.

5. BBQ discussions always end up like this one, and I don't understand why.

Maybe it's because of people giving their opinions on bbq as if they are facts?
GoodOleBryanBoy
I wonder how the people who complained about the lack of forks eat their hamburgers, pizza, and tacos?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
quote:

Ding ding ding! To each their own. Just because I don't like something doesn't mean you aren't going to and vice versa. Think this world in general would better if people started realizing that. I like Kreuz and will continue to eat there. I'll also continue to eat at C&J's and Fargo's too. I like them all. Wouldn't this place get pretty boring if it was all the same?
MAlovedphotography
you cant post a thread/ reply to without expecting some kind of opinion. thats like going to mcdonalds and not expecting a toy with a happy meal. everyone is going to comment and put their two cents in, thats why its an open topic
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:

Ding ding ding! To each their own. Just because I don't like something doesn't mean you aren't going to and vice versa. Think this world in general would better if people started realizing that. I like Kreuz and will continue to eat there. I'll also continue to eat at C&J's and Fargo's too. I like them all. Wouldn't this place get pretty boring if it was all the same?
Amen. Thank goodness for variety. Here's hoping all the local places make it.
Expert Analysis
AG
just another note I price. i got dinner for my family to go recently, me, my wife and two youngins that don't eat a whole lot. I got a half chicken, 1/2lb brisket (2 thick cut pieces, actually came out to 0.6 lbs), 1 link of both kinds of sausages, 4 individual sides, and about 6 slices of bread. It was $31 total and left enough food for me to have a decent lunch plate the next day.

offering some combo plates in the 10-12 price range would be beneficial to the lunch crowd.

their prices are in line with any other BBQ place. As noted above C&Js has raised prices drastically in the past year. Their TX Ave location got new menus with new prices. Not long after that they had additional signage indicating further revised prices. The price of the BBQ meat cuts is insane right now and there is nothing any of the places can really do about it other than making sure it is prepared perfectly.
dgonzo99
quote:
just another note I price. i got dinner for my family to go recently, me, my wife and two youngins that don't eat a whole lot. I got a half chicken, 1/2lb brisket (2 thick cut pieces, actually came out to 0.6 lbs), 1 link of both kinds of sausages, 4 individual sides, and about 6 slices of bread. It was $31 total and left enough food for me to have a decent lunch plate the next day.

offering some combo plates in the 10-12 price range would be beneficial to the lunch crowd.

their prices are in line with any other BBQ place. As noted above C&Js has raised prices drastically in the past year. Their TX Ave location got new menus with new prices. Not long after that they had additional signage indicating further revised prices. The price of the BBQ meat cuts is insane right now and there is nothing any of the places can really do about it other than making sure it is prepared perfectly.
The cuts of meat used for bbq is extremely expensive. Most good bbq places use the prime cuts of meat. That is just the way it is. The half chicken is only 6 dollars, and I can make 2 meals off of it. The chicken is always moist and tender, unlike the other places that have dry tough chicken. You can just about argue that any place can be expensive. Last time I went to Koppe, my bill was almost 14 dollars for a cheeseburger, fries, and a drink.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
There are two things I've learned not to ever bring up on Texags:

1: What BBQ places I like.
2: What Mexican food places I like.

That's like saying you voted for Obama on the Politics board. That will cause that thread to completely lose it's friggin' mind quickly.
mazag08
AG
quote:
I wonder how the people who complained about the lack of forks eat their hamburgers, pizza, and tacos?
Name me a hamburger, pizza, or taco place that doesn't at least half pre-packaged plastic untensil/napkins?
PS3D
Kreuz opened at the wrong time when beef prices were at an all-time high, which wasn't their fault. That is one of the reasons why Kreuz is so expensive. That being said, the "no forks/no sauce" thing was a gimmick, and not a very good one. "No forks" works if a) it's all carryout, which may have been the original restaurant style, or b) if there's a big, hearty steak knife to properly maneuver things with and not chintzy plasticware. No sauce works if your barbecue is good enough, which apparently it wasn't.

The no forks/no sauce was mostly a gimmick, and I think even the owners of Kreuz knew that. Better to just focus on the BBQ...
gettingitdone
The one and only time I went, I got TWO slices of brisket, ONE rib, two sides, and a small slice of cheese. Before ordering a drink my total was $22. For anyone that doesn't think this is pricy, feel free to take me to dinner when ever you would like. The brisket was too tough to cut with the plastic knife, but the ONE rib had a good flavor. Basically our dinner for two was over $48 and I can just about feed my whole family of 5 for that from CJ's.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.